PDA

View Full Version : Golf thread 2012 edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

asp integra
04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, I have a hankering for some golf and the new clubs arebegging to be swung. That being said, are there any courses in calgary open yet? Fox hollow usually opens very early, any other courses yet?

Freeskier
04-19-2012, 04:59 PM
No idea what courses are open, but I was just thinking yesterday we need a golf thread but was too lazy to start one. :thumbsup: Played a round at a course just outside Wellington the other day. Played very average, but it was a super nice day out.

C_Dave45
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
The executive course at Douglasdale is open. Saw some guys on there today.

Anton
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Golfed three times so far: McCall on temps in March, Mackenzie Meadows on perms, and Shag Valley on perms.

What's open?

I know most city courses are.

Springbank Links & River Spirit were supposed to open last week and I assume they'd be open this weekend. On permanent greens.

Mackenzie Meadows should be too.

Have two or three (depending if we play River Spirit) tee times this weekend. Pumped!!!

JLau
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Went to Harvest Hill twice, fox hollow ..
Most courses should be open by now

Delacour is open, i made a tee time for sunday, if there are 4 of you that wants to go, take my tee time, it is for 2:34pm, but let me know asap, because i am cancelling it tomorrow if no one wants to go.

JLau
04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
i am almost sure silverwing and bouldercreek are also opened if you dont mind shitty courses

i think watervalley and innisfail opens next week

HuMz
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I golfed heatherglen april 1st so its for sure open. It was on permanent greens as well that were in pretty good shape.

flipstah
04-19-2012, 06:29 PM
It's time to resurrect the boys from the basement! The range is getting boring.

I will definitely go for a round next weekend if the weather permits. :thumbsup:

Time to show off your clubs!

https://p.twimg.com/AnBTr9eCIAMFtvt.jpg

JLau
04-19-2012, 06:34 PM
One of my favorite value courses in calgary

Originally posted by HuMz
I golfed heatherglen april 1st so its for sure open. It was on permanent greens as well that were in pretty good shape.

JLau
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Too lazy to go to my basement and take a pic, but i bought a new set of R11 irons, with RBZ wood and hybrids, some clevland wedges

Originally posted by flipstah
It's time to resurrect the boys from the basement! The range is getting boring.

I will definitely go for a round next weekend if the weather permits. :thumbsup:

Time to show off your clubs!

https://p.twimg.com/AnBTr9eCIAMFtvt.jpg

flipstah
04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Shag Valley is pretty good.

Silverwing is ridiculous.

JLau
04-19-2012, 06:44 PM
havent try shag ever since they changed the back 9

silverwing is just like a driving range for us when we go at the beginning of the season lol

flipstah
04-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by JLau
Too lazy to go to my basement and take a pic, but i bought a new set of R11 irons, with RBZ wood and hybrids, some clevland wedges

How much were the R11's? These are my first blades and I love 'em! Just gotta work on being consistent.

havent try shag ever since they changed the back 9

silverwing is just like a driving range for us when we go at the beginning of the season lol

Silverwing bores me. I don't like it. :thumbsup:

Anyone try those simulators @ Golf Town? I got my clubs re-gripped and since it wasn't busy, they let me dick around haha. Thoughts? I'm aiming for dead-straight middle btw.

This is my 4-Iron Apex PC... 160yrds or so with a pull:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001057.jpg

My Mizuno driver with a too high of a tee lol:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001058.jpg

My 6-iron is WTF:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001059.jpg

My 9-iron is worse:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001060.jpg

Trying out a 9.5 PING i20:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001061.jpg

My Mizuno driver with a proper tee set-up. Ignore that one shot to the left lol:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_001062.jpg

JLau
04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
they were 849, hybrids were 240 each, wood was about 250, wedges were like 100 a piece, rbz driver 340, i got everything 1600 all in, had a buddy that worked at sportchek hook me up.

I find the simulators at golf town not very accurate, longer distance than actual, and more forgiving

flipstah
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
they were 849, hybrids were 240 each, wood was about 250, wedges were like 100 a piece, rbz driver 340, i got everything 1600 all in, had a buddy that worked at sportchek hook me up.

I find the simulators at golf town not very accurate, longer distance than actual, and more forgiving

50% off? Holy sh- Nice.!:thumbsup:

JLau
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
only 2 things i bought separately were the 2 wedges, so dont include those 2 in.

trieu
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone know good online sites I can order a bag from?

Wraith
04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by trieu
Anyone know good online sites I can order a bag from?

Similarly, I'm thinking about buying a new or used set of clubs online. Suggestions? I'll definitely try them out in a store first though.

jonnycat
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
My golf bag looks ridiculous.

I bought some older Titleist Irons last year off a buddy.
I bought a new Callaway Ft9 Driver with Extra stiff shaft last year.
I have a real old Ping eye 3 wood
I have a taylor made burner 4 and 5 wood
Scotty Cameron Titleist putter

JLau
04-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Last call for my Sunday 2:34pm tee time at Delacour, 21 degrees. I will be cancelling it in an hour if no one wants to go.

asp integra
04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
i picked up a new set at the pga superstore down in scottsdale in october, Nike mach speed black driver in 8.5 degrees, callaway Ft-iz hybrid and a set of Nike mach speed SQ irons. I think it only came to 5-600 after it was all said and done. It would be cheaper to fly down there, buy a set of clubs, play a few rounds and fly home than it would be to just buy the same set here!

flipstah
04-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
i picked up a new set at the pga superstore down in scottsdale in october, Nike mach speed black driver in 8.5 degrees, callaway Ft-iz hybrid and a set of Nike mach speed SQ irons. I think it only came to 5-600 after it was all said and done. It would be cheaper to fly down there, buy a set of clubs, play a few rounds and fly home than it would be to just buy the same set here!

That is cheap!

jsn
04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Playing at Muirfield lakes on Sunday.

I also find that golf simulator to be fairly inaccurate. Like JLau said, it seems to add yardage to every shot, even miss hits. It also doesn't pick up slices or anything.

flipstah
04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Playing at Muirfield lakes on Sunday.

I also find that golf simulator to be fairly inaccurate. Like JLau said, it seems to add yardage to every shot, even miss hits. It also doesn't pick up slices or anything.

Let us know your round goes. Always wanted to play there; constantly getting newsletters from them to buy a share lol.

asp integra
04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
first swing of the clubs tomorrow night at shag, just gonna play 9 but it will be fun to get out and hit some balls!

~Leah~
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Played in Nanton for the first time on Saturday, not a bad little track. Played like shit though, shot 94.

Then played Speargrass yesterday and shot 84... finished double double... coulda been 80. Dammit.

asp integra
04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Played in Nanton for the first time on Saturday, not a bad little track. Played like shit though, shot 94.

Then played Speargrass yesterday and shot 84... finished double double... coulda been 80. Dammit.
how is speargrass? there is a living social deal for 90 holes of golf at speargrass for $179

Also went to shag last night and golfed 9 holes and shot a 38, felt good to play and shoot that as my goal was to try and get near 40!

Euro_Trash
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Played Maple Ridge on Sunday, weather couldn't have been better. Greens were a mess, but at least they were permanents

~Leah~
04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

how is speargrass? there is a living social deal for 90 holes of golf at speargrass for $179

Also went to shag last night and golfed 9 holes and shot a 38, felt good to play and shoot that as my goal was to try and get near 40!

It's in great condition, the greens especially. But that's because they don't tarp them, they cover them in straw so they can breathe all winter and they are pretty much perfect.

The $180 for 90 holes is a regular promotion Speargrass has -- it's not really a limited time offer I don't think. It's after 3pm any day but Wednesday so if you are fine with basically being a twilight golfer there then it is great... $36/round. I personally don't like golfing that late in the day, and rounds can get pretty slow there. I buy their value passes which is 20 rounds for $67/round, and that gives you advance booking, cart, etc. I would consider it my home course, I love it.

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
^

Yah I got excited until I saw the after 3pm note. I figured they would have some sort of catch.

I could see nothing before say 10 or 11am as that would be more in the prime golf times for them.

I've never actually golfed speargrass before. Pretty sad considering I live in the SE and also my father builds those villas/houses on the golf course :rofl: oops...

~Leah~
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh it's super awesome, I'll go whenever, if someone wants to buy one of my passes off me they can. Let me know.

jsn
04-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Let us know your round goes. Always wanted to play there; constantly getting newsletters from them to buy a share lol.

Pretty decent for the price. Nicer than city courses that's for sure. Shot an 89 which is really good for me (I'm not a very good golfer). I think twilight started after 1pm and we paid $65 which included a cart.

s dime
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM
im looking for a golf instructor. Any recommendations? Im approximately a bogey golfer, looking to improve and take the game more seriously.

asp integra
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by s dime
im looking for a golf instructor. Any recommendations? Im approximately a bogey golfer, looking to improve and take the game more seriously.

Terry Carter who runs the NGA dome is one of the best instructors in town. Look him up and see if his style of teaching would suit how you want to play. I have heard from alot of people that choosing an instructor is like choosing a home or a car, some instructors suit some people while others dont. I think Terry would be a good start and there are other pros that work out of the Dome as well as some of the city courses.

asp integra
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Also are there any sites like golfnow.com for Calgary and area? I used this site when i was down in phoenix and it was great for picking courses to play, tee times and getting the rounds at great prices. They are in BC ontario and quebec but not in Alberta which kinda sucks. so, anything like this site for Calgary and area golf?

s dime
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks asp, ill look him up.

~Leah~
04-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by s dime

Take a peek around at a bunch of different ones. Every facility and golf course has pro's... it's just finding one that suits your style.

Also are there any sites like golfnow.com for Calgary and area? I used this site when i was down in phoenix and it was great for picking courses to play, tee times and getting the rounds at great prices. They are in BC ontario and quebec but not in Alberta which kinda sucks. so, anything like this site for Calgary and area golf?

I have been attampting to talk to courses over the past couple of years about this concept. Unfortunately, they have all kind of banned together and decided they will not solicit tee times like this. However... it only takes a couple of courses before others follow suit. That being said, I am a member of VIP golf (www.vipgolf.ca) and you pay $400 at the beginning of the year and receive discounted golf at a ton of courses throughout Alberta and some BC. I love it. You never pay anything at the course, VIP just charges your credit card the discounted rate after you play. There are a lot of restrictions on when you can play and there are only so many tee times available to members though. But, if you're on there right at 7am to book a time for whatever day it opens, you should be good to go.

20incheyes
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I should have posted this earlier but Kananaskis Golf courses are offering $20 green fees for 18 holes the first week they are open.

The deal was so good I had to book it even though I loose interest in playing Mt Kidd by the end of it.

I ended up just getting a teetime for Sunday May 13th so keep looking for availability bc people do cancel.

If you are a single you can always show up at the course and will probably get on within an hour due to a no show.

JLau
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
i think most tee times are booked up. I got 1 tee time May 11, 2 on may 13, and 1 more the follow thurs lol $40 cart included is a steal

asp integra
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
i bought the livingsocial deal for speargrass, if anyone else wants to buy it you can follow this link, if 3 people buy i golf for free so please go through this link to buy if you wanna golf there for cheap! https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/282910?ref=conf-jp&rpi=58720002

B18C
04-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Got a combo set of RBZ wedges/irons/hybrids and 3 wood this winter. Took them out a couple of times at Country Hills, albeit they were 9 hole rounds but just nice to get out. Annoying thing about new clubs though is that it's going to take time to sort out my distances again, especially the wedges.

JLau
04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
I tried the RBZ irons, the heads were a bit to heavy for my liking, so i went for the R11s instead. I did end up getting the RBZ wood and hybrids though, which i love.

Originally posted by B18C
Got a combo set of RBZ wedges/irons/hybrids and 3 wood this winter. Took them out a couple of times at Country Hills, albeit they were 9 hole rounds but just nice to get out. Annoying thing about new clubs though is that it's going to take time to sort out my distances again, especially the wedges.

B18C
05-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I tried the RBZ irons, the heads were a bit to heavy for my liking, so i went for the R11s instead. I did end up getting the RBZ wood and hybrids though, which i love.

I played with the r11's last year when i was in Maui. This year when i was there they had the burner 2.0's as loaners which worked better for me. I thought i wouldn't like them as much because they made all the irons longer for more distance. Since i am only 5'7", I thought the longer clubs would make them them harder to hit but that wasn't the case. So when i came back i grabbed a set of Burner 2.0's but then all the marketing for the RBZ's got to me and i exchanged them for the RBZ's.

JLau
05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
RBZ and 2.0 burners are basically the same thing, it is all about the marketing. Pretty much only the hybrid and mainly the wood makes a difference

flipstah
05-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Got a 10AM tee time @ Maple Ridge on Friday!

Very nervous because:

- It's my first 18 of the season
- It's my first solo game ever (usually I play with my friend but this all me)

theken
05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
I have played probably 7 times this year. Had one real good round and the rest were Avg. what's average club yardage for you golfers out there?

wardpr68
05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
I usually hit my pitching wedge like 110-120
5 iron is 165-175
3 iron is 190-210

My driver is whack.... Sometimes I hit it 300, sometimes I can't break 240.

I actually found a website that calculated your club distances, and it was fairly accurate, let me see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

I don't hit my clubs far by any means, but it's really all I need to hit. I can get par and birdie no problem, as long as I am hitting accurate. I have never understood why so many people are so proud of how they hit their pitching wedge 150+ yards, its just not neccssary, I have never had an issue with wishing I could hit a club further.

colinxx235
05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Was so happy to rebound my first round of the year. Went to chestermere on Sunday, shot a 49 on the front (not so great), 42 on the back, despite a 7 on #12. Had my 3rd shot from ~80 out and duffed my wedge :facepalm:

I find between softball/hockey/golf my left elbow (I'm a lefty in all three sports + throwing) has been killing, took a while for the advil to kick in on the front.

Hmmm @theken I'd say my distances are as follows

gap - 100 yards
pitch - 125
9 iron - 145-150
8 iron - 160-165
7 iron - 175-180
6 iron 195
5 iron 210
4 iron 225-230
5/3woods are just shit... I need to buy proper ones, mine are whips from a crappy set
driver all depends on how my day is going, i'm a heavy hitter so 290-310 is a good average sans slice. I did hit a lovely 340 yarder on the hole that faces shoppers/cibc on the back 9 (#13 or 14?)

my irons are TM burners

theken
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah I would say I'm pretty close in my iron range to colinxx except I don't have a 4 iron and my 5 is around 230 240
What's your clubhead speed if you know?
Chestermere I shot a 78 this year and the last 2 times I shot an 85 and 87 I really enjoy Chestermere as a course.

colinxx235
05-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Yah my 4/5 iron ranges probably aren't the most accurate. Heck even the 6 iron is a club I rarely use. As long as I'm driving well it seems like a 7-gap gets used the most. 4 iron is a mean club... haha

I know I've hit the 5 iron in the 230 range couple times. As it usually meant I overhit into water at Elbow springs for example.

I actually don't know my clubhead speed. I never though to ask before. Very soon I will be purchasing a 3 or 5 wood (maybe both). I'm guessing the simulators tell you this? Or is there a good place to go and just get it measured for the sake of improving my game.

Nice scores. I really should have shot 40 on the back, I had #12 played perfectly on the first two shots. But I was quite content regardless.

Good course for the price definitely. Pretty quick drive from the mckenzie area as well :)

theken
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah I'm down in new Brighton. Golf town has clubhead speed monitor when you pick your shaft. I went with the diamana 72 g x shaft. My clubhead speed is around 125-118 mph range so x shaft definitely for me.

~Leah~
05-24-2012, 09:56 PM
I feel like this is like the workout thread where you guys buff up your yardages and down your scores lol, no offense intended but we should have a Beyond golf meet so you guys can prove this shit. :rofl: me included!

flipstah
05-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Lol im still a newbie so I can't produce Tiger numbers.

Just 200-210 driver then 20-35 yard differences when I go down clubs. I think. :dunno:

~Leah~
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
My yardages are obviously smaller being a girl but they are (+/- 5 yds):

56 degree: 75
52 degree: 85
P wedge: 95
9 iron: 105
8 iron: 115
7 iron: 125
6 iron: 140
5 hybrid: 155
4 hybrid: 170
7 wood: 185
3 wood: 200
driver: 220-250 depends how solid I hit it

Handicap on Golf Canada right now at 9.3.

Hey, do any of you guys play in any of the Golf Town Amateur events? www.gtnas.com I'm in 3 this year.

theken
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
That some solid golf work there Leah. My handicap would be around 14 15. How long have you been playing?

colinxx235
05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I feel like this is like the workout thread where you guys buff up your yardages and down your scores lol, no offense intended but we should have a Beyond golf meet so you guys can prove this shit. :rofl: me included!

:dunno: I'd enjoy a nice round of golf. I don't think my numbers are that crazy and definitely depends on the day I'm having as well. But should be able to shoot sub 95 usually, nothing special. I have two friends who are near scratch golfers and they hit their pitch further than I do my nine iron, but I can't swing balls to the wall and still be accurate :(

JVR1
05-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Hey, do any of you guys play in any of the Golf Town Amateur events? www.gtnas.com I'm in 3 this year.

i was actually thinking about participating in the speargrass one about a month ago but wasn't sure how bad i'd get my ass kicked being in the A Flight with a 9.0.. i suppose i'm in the middle of the pack since the index range is 6.1-12

are they organized well? how are the other participants?

~Leah~
05-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I played in the Speargrass one last year... started awesome then shit the bed on 7 and shot 93. Playing Kananaskis on Wednesday, Speargrass June 14 then had registered in the "Western Major" in August but I might pull out of that one depending how well/not well I play in the first 2.

They are organized great, a lot of prizes and giveaways, and the gals I golfed with last year were cool. My bf played last year and liked it in the A Flight as well.

~Leah~
05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
OH! So get this. I was playing Kananaskis today and my clubs got jacked!!!! I had to play the round with practice clubs. Turns out some old man borrowed his son's clubs today and ended up throwing my clubs in his vehicle after the round when I was inside having lunch. WAS NOT HAPPY but boy am I glad they found them... it was traumatic for me.

JLau
05-25-2012, 09:06 PM
played my 3rd round at kananaskis today, snow, rain, sun, wind, got a bit of everything haha...that was my 9th round of this season

~Leah~
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when it was blizzarding during my lunch... maybe 2 holes were cold. Playing again on Monday and Wednesday out there!

chathamf
05-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I've been playing in Cape Breton most of the golf season, prob got out 7 or 8 times, and I just got back out to Calgary and have played twice. It's unreal how much further you hit the ball here in high altitude then back on the coast.

Out here I'm getting distances like this:

Driver: 275-300
3 Wood: 250+
5 Iron: 200
8 Iron: 160
PW: 130

Not really sure about the other clubs as these are clubs I use quite often and notice the distances. I'm a terrible golfer, slice a lot, no short game, usually shooting around 100. Can hit the ball pretty far when I hit it correctly though.

JLau
05-25-2012, 09:26 PM
My yardages are approx

60 degree - 80
54 degree - 100
Approach - 110
Pitching - 125
9 iron - 140
8 iron - 150
7 iron - 160
6 iron - 170
5 iron - 185
4 hybrid - 200
3 hybrid - 220
3 wood - 240
Driver - 280

Just bought entire set new this year, so some yardages arent 100% accurate, but very close

flipstah
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
FUU- gotta practice putting! It's what killed my pars.

:banghead:

https://p.twimg.com/At_3BdqCAAEq5t4.jpg (https://twitter.com/doncommando/status/207155712390987776/photo/1)

98type_r
05-28-2012, 07:01 PM
FUU- gotta practice putting! It's what killed my pars.

:banghead:

You and me both. On Saturday I got on in two with driver and 3 wood, then proceeded to take three putts for par. :banghead:

theken
05-28-2012, 08:47 PM
i shot a completely horrid round of golf, and the worst part is I don't know why lol, shot a 112 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I was topping balls, going left and right, slicing when trying to draw, drawing when trying to fade, it was embarrassing.

oh well there is always tomorrow

~Leah~
05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I just came off my worst round of the year... finally figured out my irons but my short game went to absolute shit and killed me. Going to Heritage Pointe's practice facility tomorrow to work out the damn kinks!! (though 89 isn't that bad, I'm supposed to play to a 9 handicap!!)

Anton
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Rolled my ankle playing ball so no golf for me for a little while :(

I also picked up a new driver right before that and haven't got to try it yet. It was on sale and had ninja stars on the shaft. Seemed like a win win.

http://uncrate.com/p/2010/12/nike-mach-speed-black-xl.jpg

I just came off my worst round of the year... finally figured out my irons but my short game went to absolute shit and killed me. Going to Heritage Pointe's practice facility tomorrow to work out the damn kinks!! (though 89 isn't that bad, I'm supposed to play to a 9 handicap!!)

You're right. That's absolutely terrible haha.

supe
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are my yardages for just an average player ~95

58 degree - 60
54 degree - 90
P - 110
9 - 125
8 - 145
7 - 155
6 - 165
5 - 175
4 hybrid - anywhere between 150 yards and 190
5 wood - 200
Driver - 250

Last year I focused on not hitting the ball hard at all and more on course management. Its funny how once you learn to hit the ball accurately with solid contact your distance just naturally goes up.

flipstah
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by theken
i shot a completely horrid round of golf, and the worst part is I don't know why lol, shot a 112 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I was topping balls, going left and right, slicing when trying to draw, drawing when trying to fade, it was embarrassing.

oh well there is always tomorrow

Now how does one cure said ailments? I top the ball and I hate it.

colinxx235
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Now how does one cure said ailments? I top the ball and I hate it.

Don't pull your head up early is usually the #1 cause of topping the ball. I'm guilty of it on a bad day too. Just take a nice slow breath before you swing and keep your head down until the follow through. :)

JVR1
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
i think it's probably better to say maintain your posture/spine angle coming thru the swing than "don't pull your head up" or when people say "keep your head down" .. your head has nothing to do with it. 'head down' means nothing if the rest of your body is all over the place.

JLau
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
just finish a round at delacour this morning. 8am tee time, done in 3 hrs 45 mins.... shot 97, really need to work on my putting >.<

feel like going out for another 18 right now

flipstah
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
I'll post some videos later today from my driving range recording a while back and let the experts critique my swing. :thumbsup:

colinxx235
05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by JVR1
i think it's probably better to say maintain your posture/spine angle coming thru the swing than &quot;don't pull your head up&quot; or when people say &quot;keep your head down&quot; .. your head has nothing to do with it. 'head down' means nothing if the rest of your body is all over the place.

Yes obviously keeping your shoulders square, not flopping around etc etc has to do with it. But what commonly causes it is pulling up your head too early/cheating the ball. Which then raises your shoulders/spine/posture etc. And then we top the ball

JVR1
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
here.. this video although it doesn't refer to my suggestion clears up what you shouldn't do with your head down..

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/instruction/swing_coaches/2011/08/08/instr_2011haney_headdown.pgatour/index.html

supe
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
For me its not about head down or head up, its about head not moving in space at all. If your head goes up you top the ball if your head goes down you're digging dirt. Also no movement left to right either.

Watch Tiger's swing, no head movement at all with eyes locked on the ball until after contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcP6X7dEUo

Wraith
05-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Anton
Rolled my ankle playing ball so no golf for me for a little while :(

I also picked up a new driver right before that and haven't got to try it yet. It was on sale and had ninja stars on the shaft. Seemed like a win win.

http://uncrate.com/p/2010/12/nike-mach-speed-black-xl.jpg

You're right. That's absolutely terrible haha.

I've heard bad things about Nike's STR8-Fit tech in their drivers, hopefully yours doesn't snap anytime soon!

theken
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
One of te pointers I read that works at the range for me is to focus on a single dimple on the back of the ball and keep your eyes on it until your shoulder pushes your head forward.

I went to the range today and worked on all my issues with 210 balls. And towards the middle I had straightened my shots got some accuracy back and control of my draws and fades. Started hitting my 4 iron again and hitting it very well so my next round hopefully is back low 80s or high 70s.

~Leah~
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I'll post some videos later today from my driving range recording a while back and let the experts critique my swing. :thumbsup:
Get on it!

flipstah
05-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Get on it!

Oh man; got told! UPLOADING!

flipstah
05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Here's my old video:

HXIpdm7eNKA

Recent:

BjXrSga0730

lBC5FD9QTR0

asp integra
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
playing speargrass on sunday, will be my first 18 of the year so im really looking forward to it!

JVR1
05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Here's my old video:

Recent:

BjXrSga0730

lBC5FD9QTR0

i'm not a pro but i would say when you address the ball, bend your knees and have them stay bent till contact. your transition from the top of your backswing -> impact is inconsistent. when you start your downswing you almost bob up and down which likely can't produce repeatable contact long term. i think your spine angle should be static for the most part up until impact

r3ccOs
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
there is so much to the game... but alignment is key, then swing mechanics

grip, stance and posture is dependant on body style and flexability...

typical grip is interlock or overlap... typical stance is shoulder width and posture is a comfortable knee bend with weight distribution relative to the club you are using (i.e. wedge to 6 iron is mostly on your front foot, 5 to driver you gradually load more from your back foot for power transfer)

but the biggest thing I think is swing path... and the easiest way to prevent the dreaded slice is to start by swinging inside out by thinking like taking a slapshot... pull it inside and release to the outside

if you follow your body's spine angle (which is where you're bent at the hips) and you don't deviate (by like looking up which lifts your club head ever so slightly) it is a natural inside swing path

also ball position and loose arms is important, figuring out where the club will be in contact of the grass, and ensuring you put the ball in a position to be consistant to hit it first...
loose arms allows you with the hip turn to drive down into the lowest point, and hand lag allows the timing to do so and maximize clubhead speed

Anton
05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Wraith

I've heard bad things about Nike's STR8-Fit tech in their drivers, hopefully yours doesn't snap anytime soon!

I hope not especially since I swing with some power behind it...

~Leah~
05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Played a GT event at Kananaskis today and got every bad break in the world even though I struck the ball amazingly. UGGGHHHHHHH

~Leah~
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Recent:

BjXrSga0730

lBC5FD9QTR0

In my opinion.... you have corrected your swing path to a steeper swing but your plane is still inconsistent, keep working on that but it looks like you are doing a good job so far.

3 big things that stand out to me right now:

1) you bend your left elbow in your backswing. I'm not sure if this is just habit, or it could also be lack of flexibility, but I would suggest trying to straighten that arm. You can't consistently repeat the bend in your elbow at the exact same angle, but you can consistently keep a straight line which is what you'd create by keeping that arm straight.

2) your wrists look flimsy at the top. You essentially want the club pointing at your target at the top of your swing, and when you let your wrists flop like that, you are less in control, and more likely to top or chunk the ball. Once again, it's difficult to repeat that angle in your wrists, so keep them strong (yet relaxed because of my next tip).

3) you need to try to clear your hips. I'm going to assume your main miss is a slice? And if not a slice, it's a snap hook/block left. (Yes or no?) When I say clearing your hips, I mean on your down swing, you should start the movement with your lower body, and by impact, your hips should be turned enough that you can actually come down on the same steeper plane you went up on, and consistently contact the ball. What's kind of happening here is your hips don't clear which doesn't allow you to follow your plane which typically causes one of two actions: a) you can't adjust your wrists fast enough to snap through by impact, therefore having an open club face causing the ball to slice... or b) you are able to snap your wrists, but they usually snap too much which quickly closes the club face causing a pull/hook/snap hook/block left, depending on how severe your wrists snap. So, by clearing your hips, you can keep your wrists somewhat neutral, only needing a small amount of snap when you're coming through the ball. Less movement = less chance for error.

Hopefully that all made sense and you have a bit of understanding of what I saw. Let me know if you have any questions about what I mean by some of my terminology, etc! I know a shit load about the golf swing even though my own game is absolute shit right now. I can talk the talk but walking the talk is the tough part!

~Leah~
05-30-2012, 09:57 PM

i'm not a pro but i would say when you address the ball, bend your knees and have them stay bent till contact. your transition from the top of your backswing -&gt; impact is inconsistent. when you start your downswing you almost bob up and down which likely can't produce repeatable contact long term. i think your spine angle should be static for the most part up until impact

I just wanted to touch on this as well. You kind of jerk your left knee bent in your backswing, then right knee in your down swing. Once again, these angles are difficult to repeat consistently, so like JVR said, maintain a slight (nowhere near as much as what you're doing in the vid) bend in both knees at all times and really work on turning from the hips, and not the knees or shoulders. Said it in my last post but I'll say it again... less movement = less chance of error.

JVR1
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Played a GT event at Kananaskis today and got every bad break in the world even though I struck the ball amazingly. UGGGHHHHHHH

during the tournament, do they have prizes outside of the winners? maybe not longest drive but closest to the pin maybe?

flipstah
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! When I'm in the city again, I'll take your recommendations into consideration and work on getting a better swing. :)

~Leah~
06-02-2012, 08:53 AM

during the tournament, do they have prizes outside of the winners? maybe not longest drive but closest to the pin maybe?

I saw a couple long drive signs I think, nothing for KP. I didn't look at any of them cuz I wasn't in the fairway on the 2 holes with signage.

B18C
06-02-2012, 01:52 PM
@Don

I want to preface by saying my index is 15.5 so I am by no means an expert but this is what I see:

1) I think you are too steep now. Bending your knees a bit and straightening your spine angle and let your arms hang down naturally should help with that.
2) your backswing is too long. You are going quite a bit past parallel and I think a big part of it is that you are swinging too much with your arms and wrists. I get "wristy" with my swing a lot and a great tip I found is that your hands should stay in front of your shoulders through your entire backswing.

It's a lot to think about and hard to describe but essentially the power from your swing comes from your legs and hips. Your arms are kind of just along for the ride.

Here's one last tip for you. Don't swing so hard. Try taking 3/4 swings (or what feels like 3/4 swings). You'll probably hit just as far if not farther and you will be more consistent too. It's not easy though. I struggle with this all the time. I just want to crush the ball.

asp integra
06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
just got back from my first round at speargrass, great track and very challenging. i lipped out about 5-6 puts atleast and lost a shit load of balls. still ended up shooting a 96 which i was pretty happy with but i was really gunning to get into the mid 80s, oh well, next time!

theken
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Speargrass is a challenge with its long grass, how's the course upkeep this year?

JLau
06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
did you guys watch pga today?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3JCwaeoBE&feature=related

sick shot to take the lead by tiger, one of his best shots ever imo

asp integra
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Speargrass is a challenge with its long grass, how's the course upkeep this year?

i have never played there before until today but it seemed to be in great shape

~Leah~
06-05-2012, 02:05 PM
just got back from my first round at speargrass, great track and very challenging. i lipped out about 5-6 puts atleast and lost a shit load of balls. still ended up shooting a 96 which i was pretty happy with but i was really gunning to get into the mid 80s, oh well, next time!

I was there on Sunday morning too! Ended up with an 84 :( I was only 2 over through 6 holes on the back. Went for 15 in 2 after a monster drive but pulled it into the bunker. Boo.

It is in absolutely amazing shape. It always is this early in the season because it winters very well, especially the greens. The fescue isn't too too long yet so it's still somewhat manageable. I've learned how to strategize my shots/preferred misses there now so 84 is actually not a great score for me at that course.

asp integra
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
where is the best place to buy golf balls? speargrass over the weekend drained me and im in need of some new ones, where can i buy a good amount for a cheap price?

colinxx235
06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
^

don't think you can really beat golf towns prices. Just check online for those cheap 24 packs. I use the Nike SFT as my "water/bad day balls"