PDA

View Full Version : did i overfertilize my yard?

dangleberries
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
i bought some lawn fertilizer, bought the same brand spreader, and followed the instructions. but afterwards it seemed like my lawn was littered with a shitton of pellets.

i did some calculations and ive applied about a pound of nitrogen over 700ish sq ft. and everything ive read says 1 pound per 1000 sq ft is ideal.

so i did i overfertilize? will i damage the lawn? i got the sprinkler out there right now soaking the shit....planning on leaving it on for 2 hours.

any green thumbs know what i should do? thx

Cooked Rice
04-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I think soaking it with water makes it worse, it basically breaks down the fertilizer and sends it all into the soil at once rather than slowly over time.

spacerz
04-22-2012, 11:37 PM
You're supposed to water it...otherwise it will burn your grass.

Cooked Rice
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Water, do not soak. Just enough to get the granules off the grass itself and onto the soil. But not to the point it dissolves the fertilizer too quickly.

dangleberries
04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
i watered it for 2 hours. how long will it take before i know if shit got burnt? it actually looks a bit greener today.

Impreza
04-23-2012, 12:04 PM
To be honest, I think you're fine. You really didn't overfertilize it THAT much..

dangleberries
04-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
To be honest, I think you're fine. You really didn't overfertilize it THAT much.. at what point is it too much?

danhharp
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
167.2% is the point at which over-fertilizing will ruin your lawn.

Since you are only at 142%, you have absolutly no worries and can sleep trouble free.

HomespunLobster
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
And its really early in the season, it'll grow fine. You'll know when it's over fertalized when your lawn turns yellow

sabad66
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by danhharp
167.2% is the point at which over-fertilizing will ruin your lawn.

Since you are only at 142%, you have absolutly no worries and can sleep trouble free.

84.63% of all statistics are made up.

JRSC00LUDE
04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

84.63% of all statistics are made up.

14% of people know that.

InRich
04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

14% of people know that.

haha thats fucking funny! thanks for the laugh lol!

dangleberries
04-27-2012, 12:32 AM
so who here actually has a lawn?

Supa Dexta
04-27-2012, 07:31 AM
I do, and fertilize a lot of acres a year of various crops.

You want your fertilizer on just before a lighter - steady rain/watering. Too much water and it runs off into the ditch/drain, too little/none combined with sunlight and its burns the plant.

Companys want you to put on as much as you can without hurting your lawn. They stand to make more that way. You went 30% over, which in all likely hood would be fine.. However, it depends on a lot of things. What condition it was in to begin with, what it was lacking, how evenly it was spread.. etc.

None of us can tell you anything more than that, but to wait and see. Also one thing people often forget is lime. Im not really familiar with the soil make up around here, but back east we lime regularly to bring the ph up.

A quick search shows calgary at around a ph of 6. which is good, lawns liking to be slightly acidic and 7 being neutral.

Testing your particular soil is your best bet though if you want to get a more accurate idea of where you stand. But since you just fertilized, Id leave it for now, you dont want to go overboard adding all sorts of things working against each other.

http://www.the-compost-gardener.com/soil-ph.html#axzz1tFNRdyBt

dangleberries
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
yeesh finally a good reply here. my lawn started out with a lot of yellow patches, i think its from the previous owners dog.

i think its decently even...i kicked apart all the concentrates batches i found. even to this day the yellow pellets are still there and i think with the rain there should be enough water.

thx for reply.

nonofyobiz
04-28-2012, 04:08 PM
if you followed the instructions of the product and used the proper spreader with the recommended setting then why are you getting all ansty already? just chill out and see what happens lol:D

dangleberries
04-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz
if you followed the instructions of the product and used the proper spreader with the recommended setting then why are you getting all ansty already? just chill out and see what happens lol:D cuz the shit got real...real fast. little white pellets all up in the lawn

CompletelyNumb
04-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Here's a question for the lawn gurus: if I have weeds starting to sprout in my grass, should I fight them first and be weed free before I fertilize? Or just fertilize anyways and fight them after...

Supa Dexta
04-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Fighting weeds sooner rather than later is always a better choice.

I dont fight lawn weeds though myself, I have too many acres of real crops to look after then be concerned with a never ending war on dandy lions and whatnot.