PDA

View Full Version : Onboard air

schurchill39
04-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm looking at picking up an onboard air kit for my F150. I was thinking something similar to this: http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10003.html

Does anyone currently run an onboard air set up? If so what brand and any recommendations of where to buy them? All I've found so far online are the companies that make them but no luck on finding a quality place to order one from.

FraserB
04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I picked this up on Thursday, it should air up 4 35"-37" tires in about 10 minutes. It is 50% duty cycle and puts out 2.5CFM I think. Not too hard to plumb a tank to if you want one.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/ARBComp.jpg

Call Stan at Northridge 4x4 and tell him Fraser sent you. If you ask about the one I got, he should be able to hook you up.

schurchill39
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Yea that's pretty much what I was looking for plus a tank. I'm not in Calgary but I'll make a phone call.

Any online sites?

FraserB
04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
PM'd

AndyL
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I prefer York a/c retrofits myself... these little rattlers cant come close to the cfm or reliability of those old compressors

schurchill39
04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I would prefer a standalone system. I don't want to tie into my a/c system.

CelicaST-162
04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I picked this up on Thursday, it should air up 4 35"-37" tires in about 10 minutes. It is 50% duty cycle and puts out 2.5CFM I think. Not too hard to plumb a tank to if you want one.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/ARBComp.jpg

Call Stan at Northridge 4x4 and tell him Fraser sent you. If you ask about the one I got, he should be able to hook you up.

THIS! I run this same setup and I love it! It airs up my 33's in less time it takes to finish a conversation with my fellow wheelers, and it also powers the diff lock as well!

www.arbusa.com

HuMz
05-24-2012, 12:53 PM
How much is that ARB kit from northridge?

Edit:looks like its 345 and only for the wrangler, any reason this wouldn't work on my frontier other than the mounting bracket?

Graham_A_M
05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Aw man, I wish I would have seen this thread sooner back when I was at our farm. We have a standalone air set up in the Silverado 2500HD we just bought, along with airbags in the back. Shitty, I cant for the life of me remember the brand. If you still haven't found what you're looking for let me know.
I'll call my dad and get him to check on what it is exactly.
It works extremely well, it just bolts right in. The compressor works quite well for what it does, it doesn't take long at all to fill the bags to whatever PSI we want.

FraserB
05-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
How much is that ARB kit from northridge?

Edit:looks like its 345 and only for the wrangler, any reason this wouldn't work on my frontier other than the mounting bracket?

It will work for the Frontier as there are mount points on the compressor. Stan will take the cost of the bracket off the kit if you don't need it.

CelicaST-162
05-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

It will work for the Frontier as there are mount points on the compressor. Stan will take the cost of the bracket off the kit if you don't need it.

The mount on that particular ARB compressor is a generic plate if I am not mistaken. I was tough to find a decent spot to install the compressor and we ended up fabricating a bracket for it to reside under the hood. The hard part is getting it mounted, the electical wiring is super easy as everything is labeled.

A quick ARB plug:

I have a friend with the VIAIR compressor and tank. I can fill my tires up just as fast if not faster while he sometimes waits for his tank to charge up.

syritis
05-26-2012, 07:44 PM
I have the viair kit. kit is great but they supply the minimum amount of fittings they can. so it you mount your air tank in a different location than you compressor or pressure switch you'll need to make a run to him depot for some fittings.

using a tank system will always take longer to fill tires because of the added volume that needs to fill once depleted. but the benefit is that i can run air tools.

Alak
05-26-2012, 09:38 PM
You could just buy a Vmac engine driven screw compressor. I can run my 3/4" impact without slowing down.

Only costs a cool $10,000. :angel:

Graham_A_M
05-26-2012, 09:48 PM
To the OP, Im still waiting on the call back, I think he's quite busy with spring seeding.

Graham_A_M
05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Alright, finally got the info. Sorry my dad was quite busy with farming operations, but he just called me.

Alright the full unit we have seems to have been a package from Firestone. Firestone bags, PSI gauge and pump.
The pump is a 20amp 12volt unit (obviously thats .64cfm, rated up to 130psi.
Part number on pump is WRI-760-9284