PDA

View Full Version : Tipping etiquette

Pages : [1] 2

Red@8
04-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I wanted to see what others would do in this situation.

I little while back I was out with a friend where the two of us had dinner and drinks and the tab came to roughly ~$550. Typically I would tip between 10-20% depending on the service. However when the bill came I felt that a ~$100 tip is a bit excessive for a party of 2. I will also mention that the service was average at best. If I had the same tab for a larger party I may have felt differently. So what is the correct course of action here, or rather what would you do in this situation? Leave a smaller tip, or stick to the percentage rule regardless of the amount pp. Thoughts?

G-ZUS
04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Baller

CompletelyNumb
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Service determines tip. If it wasn't anything special, 10% is plenty.

at $275 per person, the server should have been giving you better service.

A790
04-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Stick to the percentage rule you feel is fair. 14% is what I usually leave for average (but not bad) service.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Baller

No, Ivy League.

Tip whatever you feel is fair based on the service you received, the amount of bill is totally immaterial and really shouldn't factor into your decision (imo).

Sugarphreak
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM

wintonyk
04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Z-qV9wVGb38

But honestly tip what you feel is reasonable. I have given 5% on a big bill before because the service is terrible. Also been bitched at when I had terrible service and didn't tip. I also had my entire bill refunded because of her. Then again good service I have no problem tipping 30 or 40%. Then again my bills are not usually $500 for 2 people.

rage2
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I work a little backwards. Small bills, say, $20, I feel bad giving a 25% tip, which is a whopping $5. I usually tip 50-100% in those cases if the service was good.

Regardless of the size of the bill, good service gets my 25%.

/baller

Kloubek
04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Baller indeed.

For me, tip is a percentage of the bill, and purely based on performance. If service was excellent, I tip up to 25-30% regardless of the bill amount. If it was so-so, I'll tip 10-15%. While exceptionally rare, if service was absolutely dismal I'll leave 0-5% to prove a point.

With that said - what I consider poor service isn't always what others would. I look at the situation. For example: If a server is the only one on shift and is running around like a chicken with her head cut off because she has no help then I will not tip her really low if the service is substandard because I understand her situation and that she's doing what she can.

Similarily, if there is massive amount of staff on shift and I see my server chatting up her coworkers and not providing me the service she could, then she's likely going to get a lesser tip.

Oh... and yes, I assumed she is a she. Sometimes it's a he. Deal with it.

desi112
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I work a little backwards. Small bills, say, $20, I feel bad giving a 25% tip, which is a whopping $5. I usually tip 50-100% in those cases if the service was good.

Regardless of the size of the bill, good service gets my 25%.

/baller

Damn,

Baller posts everywhere.

Kloubek
04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
....and he's asian. Figure that one out.... :)

georgemagana
04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Baller indeed.

For me, tip is a percentage of the bill, and purely based on performance. If service was excellent, I tip up to 25-30% regardless of the bill amount. If it was so-so, I'll tip 10-15%. While exceptionally rare, if service was absolutely dismal I'll leave 0-5% to prove a point.

With that said - what I consider poor service isn't always what others would. I look at the situation. For example: If a server is the only one on shift and is running around like a chicken with her head cut off because she has no help then I will not tip her really low if the service is substandard because I understand her situation and that she's doing what she can.

Similarily, if there is massive amount of staff on shift and I see my server chatting up her coworkers and not providing me the service she could, then she's likely going to get a lesser tip.

This!!! Couldn't say it better myself.
Also to the OP, remember that servers have to tip out and just to pick an example, servers at earls tip out 7% of their total sales not the tips they geSo
if the OP spent $550 the server has to tip out almost $40 on it which sucks! Most servers work their asses off to survive university and considering I was once a part time server so I could afford living during post secondary I always tip 20% and on bills lower than $30 I tip around $8

Edit: and yea servers have to tip out whatever % the restaurants uses even if they don't get tipped. So if a server has a $100 bill, and doesn't get a tip he would lose $7 on that table + whatever another table would of tipped!

max_boost
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Red@8
I wanted to see what others would do in this situation.

I little while back I was out with a friend where the two of us had dinner and drinks and the tab came to roughly ~$550. Typically I would tip between 10-20% depending on the service. However when the bill came I felt that a ~$100 tip is a bit excessive for a party of 2. I will also mention that the service was average at best. If I had the same tab for a larger party I may have felt differently. So what is the correct course of action here, or rather what would you do in this situation? Leave a smaller tip, or stick to the percentage rule regardless of the amount pp. Thoughts?

Haha wow. :bigpimp:

Originally posted by Kloubek
Baller indeed.

:werd:

I usually go 10-15% for Asian restaurants where staff all work together, no sections, pooled tips etc.

Anywhere else (Joey's, Cactus, Bolero's, BP's Denny's etc.) it's 15-25% depending on service.

If I'm visiting a friend at their work place, I may leave up to 50% just cause lol

roopi
04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana

Edit: and yea servers have to tip out whatever % the restaurants uses even if they don't get tipped. So if a server has a $100 bill, and doesn't get a tip he would lose $7 on that table + whatever another table would of tipped!

So are you saying if a server goes to work and receives $0.00 in tips yet has $1000 in sales they would be required to pay $70.00 to come to work that day? :dunno:

colsankey
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Depending on the restraunt, absolutely, but they'd get their amazing minimum wage of $8??/hour.

So for an 8 hour shift they'd only be in the hole $6.

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
^

Yup...

Granted I never had that happen to me.

My worst night was back when I worked at the keg. Had a big reso for 7pm. So I got three small two tops before hand. ~200 between them, got about 40 in tips.

Tables bill came out to 540ish. They were a cheap group and I saw them all arguing about how much who owed and they quickly left. Had not even 550 on the table. Plus they transfered some drinks from the bar because a few of them showed up early. So after my tipout and all I lost about $20 on the table.

Basically ended up working 430-1030 once the table was done/cleaned up/duties. Left with like $12 in tips.

Mar
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
A $100 tip? You could hire 2 women to come to your house, cook your food and serve you topless for that. Why would you give it to someone you see maybe 3 times over the course of your meal?

This doesn't sound legal in the Alberta Labour Laws. It might be encouraged but I doubt it's required. Nobody can force you to pay someone else at work.

georgemagana
04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Mar
A $100 tip? You could hire 2 women to come to your house, cook your food and serve you topless for that. Why would you give it to someone you see maybe 3 times over the course of your meal?

This doesn't sound legal in the Alberta Labour Laws. It might be encouraged but I doubt it's required. Nobody can force you to pay someone else at work.

Yea I'm not sure how legal it is but thats the way it is almost everywhere. My gf had table with a $240 bill that didn't tip and she ended up losing money after the whole night of work! Thnk God it only happened to her once!

rage2
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by roopi
So are you saying if a server goes to work and receives $0.00 in tips yet has $1000 in sales they would be required to pay $70.00 to come to work that day? :dunno:
I've seen this happen before back when I was a busboy. Waitress had a huge party of 30, and restaurant didn't have a mandatory tip rule for large parties (this is what the rule addresses). It was her only table of the night, and on a $1500 bill, they left $20 for tip. Her tip out to the kitchen was $120, so she had to pay out $100 for her work that night.

She confronted the customer, asked if there was a problem with the service, why only $20 tip, explained the kitchen tipout. Customer gets offended that this was questioned in front of the party, and asians don't like to lose face. Bitches to the manager loudly and took her $20 tip back. Minus her salary, she paid $80 to work her ass off that night or something stupid.

Was brutal to watch, felt so bad for the waitress. Once you've worked in the food and beverage industry, your tipping habits are completely different.

Originally posted by Mar
Some people eat out a lot, and are regulars at many restaurants, and see the staff very regularly. When you're a regular good tipper, you get amazing service consistently. Also, see the kitchen tipout in my post. You're not paying the waiter/waitress $100.

Good luck finding 2 chicks to serve you naked for $100. I dunno what kind of crack whores you hire.

georgemagana
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

Yup...

My worst night was back when I worked at the keg. Had a big reso for 7pm. So I got three small two tops before hand. ~200 between them, got about 40 in tips.

Tables bill came out to 540ish. They were a cheap group and I saw them all arguing about how much who owed and they quickly left. Had not even 550 on the table. Plus they transfered some drinks from the bar because a few of them showed up early. So after my tipout and all I lost about $20 on the table.

Basically ended up working 430-1030 once the table was done/cleaned up/duties. Left with like $12 in tips.

Oh man that sucks! I got tipped $5 on $250 once for no reason! Worked like 7 hours and made like $40 that night :( not even enough for the gas!

^^^ well said rage.

Mar
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Why would the kitchen get a tip?

dirtsniffer
04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
cause they made the food. why does the manager get a cut?

colsankey
04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Your tip at most restraunts will be somehow divided between the bussing staff/dish pit crew, kitchens, servers, etc.

Your server's the person you are interacting with, taking your order and bringing the food, but they didn't magic your meal, drinks, linens, plates, glasses and cutlery out of thin air.

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I honestly despise the tip out system, I think its a cheap ass fucking way for the GM/owners to pay staff and keep more in their pockets.

Working at Joeys made me so bitter towards that restaurant and its system.

If a server is bad/screws up, they typically lose tip or get minimal. Kitchen runs +40 or worse on bill times, they still get there 14, 16 or w/e per hour regardless of how shitty they perform. When kitchen sucks, your tips will often reflect that angry customer.

The markup on food alone should account for staff wages. Server tips should belong to them with the respect of tipping out bartenders and those who help you extra.

Managers taking a cut from our tips was a whole other story... House sales bonus different. Managers do shady things and certain ways of taking care of bills to make sure things are all still accounted for and that they still get a tip cutout on it, etc.

SilverGS
04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
cause they made the food. why does the manager get a cut?

Seems Tipout has increased a lot more than when I ran a restaurant years ago. It was about 2-3% back then and I never once had a server lose money on the night.

Tipout doesn't normally include the managers. Not that I have seen anyway. I never got any as a manager.

Given this was not a fancy place where you would get $500 bills for a small party.

Even when we had large parties come through like a kids hockey team I just mentioned tip was not included in the price and server always got an ok tip.

Sucks to hear about people getting screwed on such large parties.

rage2
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Tipout varies between establishments. I heard rumors of one asian restaurant where all the tips goes to the owner lol.

Generally speaking though, wait staff has to give a pre determined % to the kitchen/bar staff, and a discretionary % to the bussing staff. Managers get fuck all.

It's a terrible system, I don't agree with it, but a lot of waiters and waitresses out there are doing it part time to pay for school, and breast implants, so I'm just doing my part to help 'em out.

SilverGS
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I honestly despise the tip out system, I think its a cheap ass fucking way for the GM/owners to pay staff and keep more in their pockets.

Working at Joeys made me so bitter towards that restaurant and its system.

If a server is bad/screws up, they typically lose tip or get minimal. Kitchen runs +40 or worse on bill times, they still get there 14, 16 or w/e per hour regardless of how shitty they perform. When kitchen sucks, your tips will often reflect that angry customer.

The markup on food alone should account for staff wages. Server tips should belong to them with the respect of tipping out bartenders and those who help you extra.

Managers taking a cut from our tips was a whole other story... House sales bonus different. Managers do shady things and certain ways of taking care of bills to make sure things are all still accounted for and that they still get a tip cutout on it, etc.

Or we do it like Australia where servers make 15/hr and tips are not given at all. Prices then reflect the actual wages. But you are right the restaurant owners here don't like that method. Not as good for them and then prices would seem a lot higher.

Tipout varies between establishments. I heard rumors of one asian restaurant where all the tips goes to the owner lol.

me too lol

rage2
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Of course, there's good scams too. I've seen wait staff take items off cash bills for bad food, customer complaints, etc. after the customer has paid, effectively boosting the tip.

SilverGS
04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Of course, there's good scams too. I've seen wait staff take items off cash bills for bad food, customer complaints, etc. after the customer has paid, effectively boosting the tip.

Yup, a favourite is "forgetting" to charge the drinks which normally ends with a larger tip but is stealing from the restaurant

max_boost
04-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Generally speaking though, wait staff has to give a pre determined % to the kitchen/bar staff, and a discretionary % to the bussing staff. Managers get fuck all.

It's a terrible system, I don't agree with it, but a lot of waiters and waitresses out there are doing it part time to pay for school, and breast implants, so I'm just doing my part to help 'em out.

Yep the Calgary Court/Sun's/T.Pot/Forbidden/Pebble Street etc. all operate like that. Servers get paid a flat wage +$2/3/hr on tips. Owners take the rest. That's why at these places, 10% max.

max_boost
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
^

Yup...

Basically ended up working 430-1030 once the table was done/cleaned up/duties. Left with like $12 in tips. Was this before the mandatory tip thing?

I know some places have 15-18% set on larger groups but the server will take a gamble and not add the tip, thinking the group when paying separately, will tip more. :D

I do agree, once you have worked in the industry, your views will change.

As for Mar, we all know how you feel on tipping. LOL

kaput
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM

sputnik
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I heard rumors of one asian restaurant where all the tips goes to the owner lol.

You can do that if all of your employees are not legally able to work in Canada.

1K3VIN
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Do you tip when picking up food?

Personally, depending on the situation and if the food is ready when they say its ready, I would tip the typical 10% to 15%. But if they are inefficient....

swak
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 1K3VIN

Personally, depending on the situation and if the food is ready when they say its ready, I would tip the typical 10% to 15%. But if they are inefficient....

There's one restaurant in town that i get a lot of pick-up from which i tip every time... It shows that they appreciate it each time too. Thats the thing.

Really depends though, would never tip on pick-up from pizza hut, etc or some shit. Where turnover is huge, and they wouldn't know any different anyways.

But as for tipping, regardless of size of bill, 15% min. avg if service is good is compulsory IMO.

My deal with breakfast dining is if my coffee cup reaches "empty", tip plummets, as thats the only real task of a breakfast server. Keep my coffee up, you'll get a kick-ass tip, i guarantee you.

georgemagana
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 1K3VIN

Pick up is no different than having a table for a server. If you don't tip he is still paying out of his pocket to cover it!

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Was this before the mandatory tip thing?

I know some places have 15-18% set on larger groups but the server will take a gamble and not add the tip, thinking the group when paying separately, will tip more. :D

I do agree, once you have worked in the industry, your views will change.

Did Keg finally throw in a mandatory tip on larger groups? I actually don't know. I haven't worked there since the Summer of 2009.

The mandatory would have saved a few unpleasant tips, but on the other end I've served some parties that were more than generous as well. Sometimes the mandatory tip can go against you. But if you had to choose between risking to get a 20-25% vs the guaranteed 18%, I know which I'd rather have in place.

Keg was a pretty good place to work for as a side note. Tipout is much better than joeys, earls, met grill etc.

The_Rural_Juror
04-24-2012, 01:29 PM
What is the cost of the aforementioned chicks?
Purely speculative.

Red@8
04-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I had been made aware of tip-out previously (quite possibly in another beyond tipping thread). I don't like the premise of tip out or tipping for take out but I digress.

The general opinion here so far seems to be that regardless of the total bill or work involved tipping should still follow a certain percentage rule. I guess that is what I will continue to do then.

I cant help but question though that there has to be a certain upper limit to a tip. All things being equal if the waiter/waitress that served us on a ~$75 tab performed similarly to the person who served us on the ~$500 tab should the later really get ~$50 more (based on 15% after tip out)?

SilverGS
04-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Pick up is no different than having a table for a server. If you don't tip he is still paying out of his pocket to cover it!

Tipout doesn't count toward take out orders. Most places have a separate account to track the take-out orders.

colsankey
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Did Keg finally throw in a mandatory tip on larger groups? I actually don't know. I haven't worked there since the Summer of 2009.

The mandatory would have saved a few unpleasant tips, but on the other end I've served some parties that were more than generous as well. Sometimes the mandatory tip can go against you. But if you had to choose between risking to get a 20-25% vs the guaranteed 18%, I know which I'd rather have in place.

Keg was a pretty good place to work for as a side note. Tipout is much better than joeys, earls, met grill etc.

No, there's definately no mandatory tip at the keg.

VWEvo
04-24-2012, 02:18 PM
What do you guys do when you go to a fast food restaurant an on the visa/debit machine there is a tip option? (ie. mucho burrito)

I always feel bad putting no tip, but it's a fast food restaurant so there really isn't any service.

desi112
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Simple system:

Dining in, betweem 0 and 15, 15 is for average to great service, anything below figure it out.

Take-out...fuck all.

Mar
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
Your tip at most restraunts will be somehow divided between the bussing staff/dish pit crew, kitchens, servers, etc.

Your server's the person you are interacting with, taking your order and bringing the food, but they didn't magic your meal, drinks, linens, plates, glasses and cutlery out of thin air.
Plates? Glasses? So what's the alternative, they just slop my spaghetti into my hands and I can eat it without any utensils? Fuck me, if I go to a restaurant and order food, I would assume dishes and cutlery would be included. Not provided with tip. Who the fuck pays $14 for a hamburger and doesn't expect some good service for their extra $12.50? That's why I'm paying 5 times the normal amount for my hamburger, I expect that to be included. $6 for a glass of beer? Yes, you poured it out and walked it over, that alone doesn't deserve a 200% markup on my beverage. Think about this, I can get a restaurant to prepare my meal and DRIVE IT OVER to my house for $5. And you want me to pay a waitress $5 to walk it from the kitchen to my table? It makes no sense.

I'm trying to keep it to myself since we have a few of these threads already and they're really pointless. I have more to say but I won't. I've actually tipped many times in the past when:
- they didn't have exactly what I ordered and discounted my meal
- gave me a free drink for whatever reason
- I was a regular somewhere and they discounted me something
- I asked a lot of complicated questions and they had to go talk to the kitchen staff to get the exact answer for me

Most times I ask the waitress something simple and she just doesn't know or doesn't care:
me - "Which Pale Ales do you have in a bottle?"
her - "What's a Pale Ale?"
-OR-
She simply says, "I don't know" and stares at me like I'm just going to pick something else. Are you for real? Go fucking find out. Or she'll suggest a beer I've never heard of and I'll want to know if it's an ale or a lager and she has no idea what I asked. You serve beer......try knowing what's in it.
-OR-
The waiter comes over, asks if we're ready to order and stares at me.......uhhhhh, ladies first? Asshole.
-OR-
I finish my meal and my drinks and I sit there for 25 minutes and nothing happens. I want my bill laid on the table as I'm putting the last bit of food in my mouth. I have places to be, things to do.

I've noticed a lot of this changes with what I consider to be a higher end restaurant ($50 per meal). I went to The Living Room and was quite impressed, the waiter came by many times to make sure we always had water and he left the bottle on the table for us. Plus I actually got a knife that was sharp instead of that butter knife shit......fancy that. And last month I was at Oceana or whatever it is downtown, that was good. Though I was surprised to see the waiter lay my food on the table to my left, most times I've heard in the service industry it should always be laid to the right. And he switched it up per person, it was weird.

breathe in..............breathe out............wooooooooosaaaaaaaa.........

No, there's definately no mandatory tip at the keg.
I don't think tips are mandatory anywhere, it's illegal to make someone pay more than the stated price. For large groups when they automatically add the tip to your bill, you can just not pay it. Or ask them to take it off.

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
What do you guys do when you go to a fast food restaurant an on the visa/debit machine there is a tip option? (ie. mucho burrito)

I always feel bad putting no tip, but it's a fast food restaurant so there really isn't any service.

Ohhh boy do I ever hate those... Tip for punching my order into your til? Like c'mon

Starbucks gets the odd tip. Might be cause the cute girl at the one by my place always remembered my name/what I had. She would see me come in and start making it if there was a line up.

colsankey
04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Not trying to ride you Mar, it's just a slow afternoon :)

But if the menu clearly says "minimum gratuity of 18% on parties of 6 or more" then as a private establishment, it's within their right to include that in their stated price, no?

I HATE minimum gratuities, but I dont think it's illegal for restraunts to decide what they want to charge customers.

You did say you could ask them to take it off, but I'd assume a person couldn't just walk out any more than you could walk out and say you didnt want to pay $30 for the filet mignon (or whatever).

lilmira
04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
That deserves tipping.

colinxx235
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Not trying to ride you Mar, it's just a slow afternoon :)

But if the menu clearly says "minimum gratuity of 18% on parties of 6 or more" then as a private establishment, it's within their right to include that in their stated price, no?

I HATE minimum gratuities, but I dont think it's illegal for restraunts to decide what they want to charge customers.

You did say you could ask them to take it off, but I'd assume a personl couldnt just walk out any more than you could walk out and say you didnt want to pay $30 for the filet mignon (or whatever).

I know restaurants that I've worked at ALWAYS had to notify the customer what the auto-grat was for large groups ahead of time to prevent this. Was always made very clear. I've seen it disputed in person but had to be with valid reason (server was pathetic).

Same goes whenever I've booked some larger groups, hostess mentions the auto grat of 15 or 18 or w/e for groups of X size and larger.

CompletelyNumb
04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I cant help but question though that there has to be a certain upper limit to a tip. All things being equal if the waiter/waitress that served us on a ~$75 tab performed similarly to the person who served us on the ~$500 tab should the later really get ~$50 more (based on 15% after tip out)?

Unless you ordered a $400 bottle of wine, I'm guessing the majority of the tab was from multiple runs to the bar for drinks. So if one server brings you one drink, and another bring you 20 drinks, yes, it would seem as though that second server deserves more of a tip.

rage2
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Plates? Glasses? So what's the alternative, they just slop my spaghetti into my hands and I can eat it without any utensils? Fuck me, if I go to a restaurant and order food, I would assume dishes and cutlery would be included. Not provided with tip. Who the fuck pays $14 for a hamburger and doesn't expect some good service for their extra $12.50? That's why I'm paying 5 times the normal amount for my hamburger, I expect that to be included. $6 for a glass of beer? Yes, you poured it out and walked it over, that alone doesn't deserve a 200% markup on my beverage. Think about this, I can get a restaurant to prepare my meal and DRIVE IT OVER to my house for $5. And you want me to pay a waitress $5 to walk it from the kitchen to my table? It makes no sense.
Go to Europe. Or Asia. Prices are higher, because they do not expect, nor rely on tips from the customer, hence the staff is paid proper market value.

Fact of the matter is, all that markup for your food goes towards the restaurant operations... rent, power, gas, salary, upkeep. Tips are *expected* to be part of the wait, kitchen, and bus staff salary. Hell, in some provinces, T4 slips automatically include 8% of your served checks so you're taxed on the expectant 8% average tips after the tip out to the kitchen. It's also legal to pay BELOW minimum wage if your tips add up to higher than minimum wage. Why? Because again, tips are expected.

The reason North America uses this system is that the menu prices can be perceived to be lower even though you're paying more. Everyone is expected to tip, it's an honour system. If everyone stopped tipping, the whole system breaks down. It's not a good system, but it is what it is.

You don't have to pay a tip, but you'll be an asshole, and expect shit service next time you show up because you're essentially taking away the waiter/waitress's salary when they are forced to serve you.

It's not a baller thing. It's not throwing away money. Like I said, there's a completely different mentality when it comes to tipping when you've worked in the restaurant industry. Obviously, you haven't, so I don't blame you for your ignorance on the subject. Even when I was making 30k a year, I was still a good tipper.

CanmoreOrLess
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Never, ever piss off people who handle your food. Tip low, be an asshole, be overly demanding, leave a mess (talking to you crap parents out there). I know of one case where the customer got a nice nut sack scraped on her dessert. I do not agree with this sort of thing in any business, I figure it all balances out by the end of the week. There is a reason no one pisses off the kitchen if they work and eat in the same place. Everyone should do some time in the food business.

Some places have mandatory tip amounts on large tables, it is sometimes the call of the server. If the server believes the table to be crap tippers (they say you can tell by the shoes), on goes the mandatory tip amount to be safe. If you are Aussie, UK, etc you are getting hit with the table fee. Frankly some of the Aussies/Kiwis I have been out with they ought to have posted a bond before eating and drinking.

rage2, tipping karmically over the top and driving a decent A-B car, BMW owners could learn a lesson or two.... :guns: LOL.

Red@8
04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Unless you ordered a $400 bottle of wine, I'm guessing the majority of the tab was from multiple runs to the bar for drinks. So if one server brings you one drink, and another bring you 20 drinks, yes, it would seem as though that second server deserves more of a tip.

No multiple trips to the bar, we had 1 drink each, maybe 3 total, I cant recall exactly now. Our mains were both north of $200 each. Hence my hesitation on the matter. I am not opposed to tipping, I left about a hundred (a decent percentage) on that occasion and will likely act similarly given similar circumstances next time. It just got me thinking that's all.

If this had been an extravagant meal where the server had to do a lot prep work for the meal or in between courses or multiple trips back and forth (just a lot of effort in general) for the two of us or if this was a large group situation I wouldn't have even brought this up.

Spoons
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I would like to thank everyone for making me feel poor.

max_boost
04-24-2012, 06:02 PM

No multiple trips to the bar, we had 1 drink each, maybe 3 total, I cant recall exactly now. Our mains were both north of $200 each. Hence my hesitation on the matter. I am not opposed to tipping, I left about a hundred (a decent percentage) on that occasion and will likely act similarly given similar circumstances next time. It just got me thinking that's all.

If this had been an extravagant meal where the server had to do a lot prep work for the meal or in between courses or multiple trips back and forth (just a lot of effort in general) for the two of us or if this was a large group situation I wouldn't have even brought this up. Wow what the heck were you eating?! :nut:

Agree with rage2 :werd:. That's how the system operates on this continent.

FixedGear
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM

If this had been an extravagant meal where the server had to do a lot prep work for the meal or in between courses or multiple trips back and forth (just a lot of effort in general) for the two of us or if this was a large group situation I wouldn't have even brought this up.

i don't think i've ever seen entrées priced that high, usually it's the alcohol that is expensive. what restaurant was this anyway?

CompletelyNumb
04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

I don't ever want to play credit card roulette with you.

:nut:

Sugarphreak
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM

CompletelyNumb
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I've noticed that too. Seems that being the wealthiest province has made everyone feel entitled to more money. Tip options at fast food places is a good example of this.

rage2
04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
You'd be surprised at how little some of the higher end establishments pay due on base salary. If it was that easy money, a lot of the staff would stay there and never go elsewhere. And yes, a lot of people don't do the 15% on big bills. If anything, the higher end restaurants seems to cycle through wait staff more than say, Moxies.

Red@8
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I don't know how I would feel about plunking down 100$ for a tip for two people on a 400$ bill for instance.

If it was a group, I'd have no problem going the full 20% if it was good service... but for 2 people that is pretty expensive per plate and I'd actually expect the owner would be paying the staff quite a bit better than cheaper establishments, I'd be inclined to give maybe a 40-50$ tip.

I am curious, is that reasonable etiquette?

(on a side note, I've never racked up a bill even close to that for 2 people)

Thats exactly what I've been saying/contemplating. Once you factor the tip-out though the actual tip you are leaving is much less than you think, although its still money out of your pocket.

The last few times its happened to me its been just two in the party and with very little alcohol if any. I only recently started questioning the ~$100 tips.

Maxboost the meal in question here was the Wagyu omakase at Tojo's in Vancouver, but as I mentioned this has happened a few times now over the past few months so its not isolated.

rage2
04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm officially jealous now. I haven't had the Wagyu omakase at Tojo's in a year.

Booking flights to Van.

LongCity
04-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Thats exactly what I've been saying/contemplating. Once you factor the tip-out though the actual tip you are leaving is much less than you think, although its still money out of your pocket.

The last few times its happened to me its been just two in the party and with very little alcohol if any. I only recently started questioning the ~$100 tips.

Maxboost the meal in question here was the Wagyu omakase at Tojo's in Vancouver, but as I mentioned this has happened a few times now over the past few months so its not isolated.

Damn, didn't know they actually had this kind of meat here in Canada!

SOAB
04-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Yep the Calgary Court/Sun's/T.Pot/Forbidden/Pebble Street etc. all operate like that. Servers get paid a flat wage +$2/3/hr on tips. Owners take the rest. That's why at these places, 10% max.

i think this is a myth spread by cheap people trying to justify not tipping at asian restaurants. lol.

i've straight up asked a waitress at Pebble Street if this was true and she said that she wouldn't work there if it was. the wait staff definitely get to keep the tips.

max_boost
04-24-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm gonna go try this Omakase $500 dinner this summer lol It'll be the most expensive dinner ever for me. :nut:

@SOAB, my friend works at Sun's BBQ, insider information, trust me bra. :whipped:

CompletelyNumb
04-24-2012, 11:57 PM
The omakase sure has bad reviews online

dangleberries
04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
heres tipping etiquette. it has a little bit to do with the service and a lot to do with yourself.

if youre cheap or an asian - tip 10% or find excuses to tip less (ie. well the service was only average or well the bill was big and there were only 2 of us)

if youre a cracker - tip 15-20 unless uve been wronged somehow...but still tip 15 cuz ud feel kinda bad for tipping less.

if u are a wannabe baller - stupid amounts regardless

if youre a black - i dont know. do black people eat out???

CompletelyNumb
04-25-2012, 12:36 AM
@SOAB, my friend works at Sun's BBQ, insider information, trust me bra. :whipped:

Why tip at all if they get flat rate?

swak
04-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Why wouldn't they just pocket "their tips" then?

cancer man
04-25-2012, 05:25 AM
I generally find the service from diners way better than most high end restaurants.Dennys on 32nd always tip at least 40% man do they move and cater to your needs.

max_boost
04-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Why tip at all if they get flat rate?

Well they get minimum plus flat rate in tips about $3-4/hour extra if I remember correctly. Everything is pooled together like typical Chinese restaurants. I guess you don't have to but like rage2 said previously it's an honor system. I leave around 10% but if it's less I don't concern myself with it knowing there isn't a tip out etc.

Originally posted by swak
Why wouldn't they just pocket "their tips" then?

Risk getting caught, ratted out and fired? There is a specific employee that handles cash.

Originally posted by cancer man
I generally find the service from diners way better than most high end restaurants.Dennys on 32nd always tip at least 40% man do they move and cater to your needs.

I can appreciate a server who is quick and efficient. That ranks higher in my books than one who talks a lot.

G-ZUS
04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by dangleberries
if youre a black - i dont know. do black people eat out???

Nobody tips at KFC

masoncgy
04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I can appreciate a server who is quick and efficient. That ranks higher in my books than one who talks a lot.

Same here. Just make sure that I am looked after and can enjoy my meal in peace and I will tip well.

I fucking hate over-the-top, obnoxious servers and tip accordingly.

Fast food places and other BS tip requests? Piss off. You get zero.

GTS4tw
04-25-2012, 08:23 AM
The omakase sure has bad reviews online

Where are you seeing bad reviews? Most sites I go on have mixed reviews, and 99% of the bad ones are based on the price not the food. Dont let the reviews scare you off, its a great experience and the food is amazing.

Tojos is the best sushi I have ever had, yeah it's expensive, but well worth it! Ill try to post reviews of a few places this summer, there are a couple on Vancouver Island that rank up there too imo.

sputnik
04-25-2012, 08:35 AM
If everyone stopped tipping, the whole system breaks down. It's not a good system, but it is what it is.

I would love to see that happen.

I would much rather pay higher prices at a restaurant that has to be picky with their serving staff selection.

A790
04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Where are you seeing bad reviews? Most sites I go on have mixed reviews, and 99% of the bad ones are based on the price not the food. Dont let the reviews scare you off, its a great experience and the food is amazing.

Tojos is the best sushi I have ever had, yeah it's expensive, but well worth it! Ill try to post reviews of a few places this summer, there are a couple on Vancouver Island that rank up there too imo.
Pretty much every review I read on Yelp was negative, and they weren't commenting on the price.

FraserB
04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Tipping in Alberta is also a lot different than other provinces such as BC. The expected percentages are higher, and places that normally don't take tips (such as pool halls and coffee shops) seem to expect it here.

I've seen you tip at a coffee shop;)

As for expecting it, I have to agree it is getting a bit stupid. I was at Subway they other day and accidentally typed my PIN in the tip place because they had added the section to the machine. They also had a big jar for tips on the counter. Or people expecting tips for shitty service. I had a delivery driver try and give me shit for not tipping when my pizza got there after an hour and a bit and felt cold.

They only place I tip for takeout is the Vietnamese place that I got to all the time, Tomco knows the one. Or places that I am a regular at. I have gotten more free stuff and super fast service by leaving a buck or two with takeout than I would have gotten simply by being a regular.

As for waiters, I want to see you 4 times, maybe 5. Once when you take my drink/ food order, I'll be ready when my menu is closed. Then when you bring the food, once in the middle to see how it is/ refills. Then when you ask if I want dessert, if not I want the bill at the same time, not 10 minutes later. Do this, and you get a nice tip. Hover, you dont.

Red@8
04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by A790

Pretty much every review I read on Yelp was negative, and they weren't commenting on the price.

A little ot but you could also give Nobu a try if Tojo's isn't your thing. I had some Wagyu at their Tribeca (NYC) location a while back and it was prepared wonderfully. It was priced by the oz and there were a few options as to its preparation.

rage2
04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
For the money, it's pretty good. I haven't been able to find anything else in Canada that's better. I've had much more expensive Wagyu meals than Tojos.

If I remember right, Tojo serves Australian Wagyu, which is close, but not as good as Japanese Wagyu.

Back on topic, I left a $1000 tip on our meal in Vegas between 6 people at Prime ($4k bill, very little booze). I haven't needed a reservation going there ever since. I also get the best seat in the house at dinner, on the balcony, watching the Bellagio water fountain show every few mins. Service is impeccable every single time.

Sugarphreak
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM

GTS4tw
04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

I think you are seeing what you want to see? They are 4 stars overall on Yelp and there are lots of very positive reviews on the very first page. :dunno: Sure there are negatives but why just read those? There is one reviewer saying they went to mcdonalds after, so I'm sure this wasn't really their taste to begin with.

I haven't been for a couple of years but I know lots of people who have and the only complaint I have heard personally is in regards to price.

JLau
04-25-2012, 11:52 AM
if i go to certain asian restaurants, i only tip 10%, because tip goes to owner and servers just gets paid hourly.

If service was very good, i give about 18% (hotel standards)

If service was ok, i give about 12-15%

I have had instances where i gave absolutely nothing, because server was terrible with knowledge and tried to BS her way out of questions i had.

JLau
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I can confirm that all Calgary Court establishments keeps all tips and pay a flat to their staff.

In Asia, ppl look at you weird if you pay tips lol

I'm gonna go try this Omakase $500 dinner this summer lol It'll be the most expensive dinner ever for me. :nut:

HomespunLobster
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree it all depends on service and food quality.

I usually just eat at pubs, and depending on the server is what i'll tip.

I've had so shit of service/food, even brought it up and been brushed off. So tip is next to nothing.

although i've had good service and tipped up to 25%.

max_boost
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Yea in HK, 10% tip automatically added to your bill. In China, tipping not necessary.

In North America, you get what you pay for as rage2 said, you tip more, you get more. :D

A790
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM

I think you are seeing what you want to see? They are 4 stars overall on Yelp and there are lots of very positive reviews on the very first page. :dunno: Sure there are negatives but why just read those? There is one reviewer saying they went to mcdonalds after, so I'm sure this wasn't really their taste to begin with.

I haven't been for a couple of years but I know lots of people who have and the only complaint I have heard personally is in regards to price.
What do you mean "seeing what I want to see"?

I've never been there and would love to try something like that. On the first three pages I read a ton of bad reviews, many commenting about the mediocre quality of the fish.

I'd still try it, but I felt it prudent to point out the negative reviews.

Mar
04-25-2012, 12:20 PM

For the money, it's pretty good. I haven't been able to find anything else in Canada that's better. I've had much more expensive Wagyu meals than Tojos.

If I remember right, Tojo serves Australian Wagyu, which is close, but not as good as Japanese Wagyu.

Back on topic, I left a $1000 tip on our meal in Vegas between 6 people at Prime ($4k bill, very little booze). I haven't needed a reservation going there ever since. I also get the best seat in the house at dinner, on the balcony, watching the Bellagio water fountain show every few mins. Service is impeccable every single time.
Maybe this is what I don't understand. How do they remember what you look like if they only seen you the once? I have a hard time remembering people I've met a few times. And then they don't see you again for a couple of months?

rage2
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Maybe this is what I don't understand. How do they remember what you look like if they only seen you the once? I have a hard time remembering people I've met a few times. And then they don't see you again for a couple of months?
The waiter gave me his business card, and I deal with him directly. They also have this great invention called a computer, and my name is in their system as well, with a history of visits.

Ruth's Chris does the same thing, if you go there more than twice a year, they'll send you a $50 gift certificate around christmas time. The kitchen staff, which I have never met, know me by name there because it pops up on my orders.

Career waiters and waitresses also have an insane memory. That's why they never write your order down, even for a table of 10.

A790
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
It helps the cause when you tip someone really well. They will make an effort to remember you and serve you well. Not that certain posters in this thread would know what that's like... ;)

GTS4tw
04-25-2012, 12:35 PM

What do you mean "seeing what I want to see"?

I've never been there and would love to try something like that. On the first three pages I read a ton of bad reviews, many commenting about the mediocre quality of the fish.

I'd still try it, but I felt it prudent to point out the negative reviews.

I was commenting on this part:

Pretty much every review I read on Yelp was negative

There are more positive than negative, at least on the first page.

But yeah, well worth a try if you are in Vancouver. There are so many though, I went to Seto recently and it was great, Shiro is always good, I could go on and on... makes me hungry.

flipstah
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Usually if you're a regular, they know what your preferences are and it's lovely. :love:

GTS4tw
04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Haha, they remember because you make an impression! I get great service at places I only go once a year because of this. It often results in special dishes, and special care going into your meal as well.

desi112
04-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Rage is making a point to point out all his bills on the right side of 200.

max_boost
04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
^^ oh yea, because of this thread rage2 is going to Van this weekend just to get some $500 Omakase with his gf. Probably flying 1st class too. Baller for sure.

rage2
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
lol I had dinner a few nights ago, 2 people, bill was $24.

Just making a point that regardless of bill size, 20-25% is the norm.

SOAB
04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
lol I had dinner a few nights ago, 2 people, bill was $24.

Just making a point that regardless of bill size, 20-25% is the norm.

Where'd you go? Mcdonalds? :bigpimp:

2 people can't even eat Pho for that anymore...

rage2
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Wing night at Brewsters.

colinxx235
04-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Wing night at Brewsters.

Damn lightweight asians get drunk off 1 raspberry :rofl: :D

schocker
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Damn lightweight asians get drunk off 1 raspberry :rofl: :D
It's good stuff, especially when they put the berries in! :rofl:

Mar
04-25-2012, 03:58 PM

The waiter gave me his business card, and I deal with him directly. They also have this great invention called a computer, and my name is in their system as well, with a history of visits.

Ruth's Chris does the same thing, if you go there more than twice a year, they'll send you a $50 gift certificate around christmas time. The kitchen staff, which I have never met, know me by name there because it pops up on my orders.

Career waiters and waitresses also have an insane memory. That's why they never write your order down, even for a table of 10.
How do they get your name? Isn't it against the Privacy Act to store someone's personal information like that without having them sign off on it?

Haha, they remember because you make an impression! I get great service at places I only go once a year because of this. It often results in special dishes, and special care going into your meal as well.
I don't get it, do they just remember your face?

colinxx235
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I don't get it, do they just remember your face?

You would be quite surprised how well you are remembered if you are extremely pleasant/chatty with a server ontop of leaving them a tip.

I know I would always remember key things about extremely friendly and talkative customers I had.

Good example would be back at Joeys. Father, family of 4. Served him twice in a few weeks. Second time he talked about how they were going to florida to do Disney world and all this other stuff for vacation on the upcoming week.
Didn't see him for about 3 months and he was friendly as always. I asked "by the way, how was your trip to florida? what did you all do?"
He was dumbfounded that I remembered what he talked about. Asked me what I did (assumed I was a student). End of the bill he left me an extremely large tip over something so simple.