PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot - Carpet?

Singel
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone gone through them for carpet? It's too late for me, we've already ordered through End of the Roll, which seems much cheaper than everywhere else we looked, but Home Depot is claiming whole house install for $199...must be some string attached?

InRich
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
I paid.... 2600 for just material and only for my basement a couple months ago... The install was 1k, which included underlay and misc finishing material... obv theres a catch

colsankey
04-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing the install would be $199 and the price of the carpet would offset the loss on install time?

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
You won't get a qualified installer to walk up your driveway for $200.00. There was a thread somewhere about this awhile ago I think....regardless, you're NOT going to get a whole house install for $199.00. You'll have just as much luck getting your share of a Nigerian princes inheritance.

Xtrema
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
I'm guessing the install would be $199 and the price of the carpet would offset the loss on install time?

Regardless of $199 or not, the subcontractors HD uses are subpar.

Singel
04-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Their carpet prices were fairly competitive, but definitely quality was questionable. We got a good deal at EotR, I was just curious as something seemed off!

Tik-Tok
04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Regardless of $199 or not, the subcontractors HD uses are subpar.

We had good ones. They did our whole basement several years ago, and we haven't had any problems. After the install, a HD inspector game by and made sure everything was installed properly, and asked if we were happy. Then gave the contractors shit for not vacuuming, lol.

We got a smoking deal too, because nobody had changed the install price on the sample board from 2 years earlier. We paid 45% of retail :rofl:

eblend
04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't do it. Fell into this trap. Paid $75 bucks to have somone come out and do the quote, which they say you get back once you agree on their quote, but I just told them to keep it. They wanted like $2100 to do my basement.....found a guy who did a sweet job for $1200, with much better carpet quality.

Seriously, the $199 is just labour, they will tack on every imaginable thing possible, like a shit ton more glue then needed, and mine even decided to add "oversized roll" charge which was like $100 bucks...because the roll had to be a little bit longer or something like that, so their guys weren't allowed to carry it due to their insurance or some stupid shit like that, was like 1 foot longer....told this to the guy who ended up doing my install, and he laughed

masoncgy
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
End of the Roll on 32 Ave is where I have dealt in the past and they have always had the best prices for decent quality carpet & professional installation services.

B20EF
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Here is my thread asking same question

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/343654/home-depot-for-carpet-installation/

I used End of the Roll. The final install price at Home depot will be a lot more but so was install price from EotR. I think I paid around $1000 for install of about 1200sq/ft and 20 stairs. I think Home depot charged $20 per stair so it would be a little more.

End of the Roll installers did do a great job though. I used the one on 58th ave sw.

garnet
04-24-2012, 10:25 PM
home depot uses ISO/tri-jay for installations
i've kicked them out of 3 buildings, and trying to on a fourth now, because they are *hit, i can't be blunt enough about that
some of the install guys are okay, but the ISO company aren't worth the hassle
yes, home depot will add on charges, and drive up your price

codetrap
04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
I 3rd the vote for EotR. They did a great job on my basement & stairs. in and out in 3.5 hours.

sputnik
04-25-2012, 08:46 AM
The thing that is good about Home Depot is that they stand behind their installations and product.

A friend of mine had basement carpets done by HD and had major issues (runs in the middle of the rug and bad seams) with the carpet within 9 months. HD sent someone to fix the issues (replacing the carpet in 2 bedrooms) and they had the same problem AGAIN.

Went back to HD and HD said "pick any carpet we sell" so they picked the highest end carpet that was similar in colour and style and HD redid their entire basement for free.

Now they have some insanely amazing carpet for the price of the cheaper carpet they originally paid for and HD dumped the crappy line from their stock shortly after.

CapnCrunch
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
I had a good experience with home depot, but that was about 8 years ago.

The price was awesome, install was quick and done properly, and the carpet quality was good. It still looked new when I moved out 5 years later.

JRSC00LUDE
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I guess my aversion to Home Depot installations is that top quality installers work for us every day and none of them would ever do installs for a place like Home Depot for the simple reason that they're too good and are paid better elsewhere.

In my observation, a lot of those type of install jobs are subbed out to guys who have got a couple years in working under somebody and then gone on their own because they think they should be making the "big bucks" now. The problem with that is that most of the time, these guys really aren't ready to go out on their own. They're fine at standard/average installations but when they come across something out of the ordinary or overly technical they just don't know how to handle it properly due to inexperience and that's when poor work comes into play.

It's just more of a gamble, sometimes you'll win and sometimes you'll lose. The saving grace is them standing behind their warranty.

Mar
04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I had Carpet Plus do my spare bedroom 5 years ago for $400 total for materials and labour. And it was a pretty nice nylon carpet.