PDA

View Full Version : Dad rear ended this morning, any witnesses?

Offspring22
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Hey everyone, I know its a long shot, but this site's done some pretty amazing things so hoping someone can help....

My dad and uncle were heading east bound on 16th ave this morning, coming up to go under 36th st when traffic slowed down, but the lady behind him didn't. My dad was on his way for his daily radiation therapy for cancer treatment, so unfortunately he wasn't 100% on his game and pretty shaken up, and didn't get all the info he probably should have. He got her insurance info and name, but the AMA is saying they have never heard of her.... so it may have been bogus info, or just handed over incorrectly....

He was in a 2002 grey Ford Focus, and she was in a chevy truck. Any chance anyone saw anything, or better yet, has a dash cam that may have captured more info about the vehicle that hit him?

Long shot I know, but worth asking I figure....

Thanks

desi112
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Call Police if you have'nt. Register this as a hit and run.

Offspring22
04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah that's the next step. He's figuring the car will be written off, so he'll need the police report anyways.

guessboi
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
hit and run you will have to pay your collision deductible and you are claiming against your own coverage.

One tip I would give every one is to copy the 3rd party's 9 digit driver license number on their card and their date of birth in the event of an accident. But of course...the more info...the better.

Vinman
04-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by desi112
Call Police if you have'nt. Register this as a hit and run.

If this is reported as a hit and run, be prepared to deal with the consequences when the cops find the other driver, ie. attempting to file fake charges.

It was clearly not a hit and run, report it exactly how it is. She stopped but either gave bogus info or your Dad made an error in recording the info.

Hopefully it all works out for him.
Vince

gretz
04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Vinman

If this is reported as a hit and run, be prepared to deal with the consequences when the cops find the other driver, ie. attempting to file fake charges.

It was clearly not a hit and run, report it exactly how it is. She stopped but either gave bogus info or your Dad made an error in recording the info.

Hopefully it all works out for him.
Vince

If a car hits you and leaves without giving you their info (incorrect info is just as shitty as none), it is a hit and run... clearly...

Vinman
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by gretz

If a car hits you and leaves without giving you their info (incorrect info is just as shitty as none), it is a hit and run... clearly...

And if an error was made by the victim in recording the info, is that still a hit and run? clearly...?

gretz
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Vinman

And if an error was made by the victim in recording the info, is that still a hit and run? clearly...?

The victim got the incorrect name AND insurance info? Unlikely... Clearly, you would assume the info is fake...

Offspring22
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
It will be reported honestly and as it happened either way - not trying to commit fraud here by any means. She wrote down her own info. If she's found it'll be easy to see if she was fraudulent or not, I'm sure.

gqboy322
04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
i would say just report it to the police and let them do their work. :)

Vinman
04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by gqboy322
i would say just report it to the police and let them do their work. :)

Good advice.

I had a parked car hit by a hit and run driver back in the 90's and I was told at the registry office that if I didn't have collision coverage on it I could claim it through them and they would cover it. But, if I had collision (I did) it would have to go through my insurance.

Apparently, part of the registration fee goes to towards insurance against H&R accidents.

If you Dad doesn't have collision it may be worthwile to look into it further.

Vince

Offspring22
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
He does have collision, so it should be covered under that at the very least, but he's going through cancer treatment at the moment and on sickness EI until that is done. So he is on a very fixed income for the next while, and any extras such as paying the deductible, especially when someone else was at fault is just going to put him farther back and he has far too much to worry about right now without adding this on top of it!

HomespunLobster
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Someone hit and run my truck last night in my condo parking lot. There was a witness (Someone standing on their balcony having a smoke)

Good thing is they just rubbed against my tire, but the witness was good enough to get me their info.

I have no damage, but if I see that van in the parking lot again i'm going to chew them out.