PDA

View Full Version : Tire Storage

codetrap
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
GRRR.. my neighbor's kids were apparently playing in my storage area and they punched holes in the plastic bags that I had my summer's stored in, so when I pulled them out, they were nice and full of water. Currently, they're drying out in my garage. They're only a year old, so I'm really hoping they're not trashed.. google is well.. not answering my questions, so yo, tire guys!

Thoughts?

AE92_TreunoSC
04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Not a huge issue, just dry them out. Lot of tires I install have water inside them from storage, I just blow it out and carry on.

forced_eg
04-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about it, nothing they arent designed to handle

ExtraSlow
04-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Store them indoors in a Tire Rack (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,44047&p=68337)

lellowrx7
04-26-2012, 07:21 AM
You think tires get ruined when wet? Even though we drive them in the rain?
I store my tires outside under a tarp.
All it does is piss off the people who install them cause they usually get a little wet when removing the bags

lilmira
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Wouldn't the extreme temperature affect the tires somehow? Extreme cold to summer tires and extreme hot (well not that hot in Calgary I guess) to the winter tires.

I put my tires in my basement.

codetrap
04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Store them indoors in a Tire Rack (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,44047&p=68337)
Yeah, that's what I'm going to be doing this year now that I sold the other bike and have a little more room.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
You think tires get ruined when wet? Even though we drive them in the rain?
I store my tires outside under a tarp.
All it does is piss off the people who install them cause they usually get a little wet when removing the bags
I'm concerned because they were filled with water on the inside. Not worried about them getting wet on the outside.

Either way, it's Bob's problem now. :) Dropped the Outlander off this morning to have them rotated on. Thanks for the opinions and peace of mind guys.

rc2002
04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
If it were me, I'd wait a couple days and make sure they were completely dry before getting them mounted.

Some tires that I've umounted have had some pretty corroded wheels underneath due to moisture inside the tires.

lellowrx7
04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
If the tire techs know what they're doing they will vacuum out all the water before they mount them.
We did it at my Kal tire when I worked there, and if Kal tires knows to do it I'm sure urban x knows so you'll be fine.

swak
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
We just blew them out when I worked at GM.. Same final result, but never heard of a vacuum being used.

But I store mine in the rafters of my garage (out of the way and dry).

tirebob
04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Water in your tire like you described should not pose any problem. The water just needs to be removed before install as to not affect the tire balance...

Cos
04-26-2012, 12:27 PM