PDA

View Full Version : Van/Victoria - What to do?

Dumbass17
04-26-2012, 06:30 AM
headed to Vancouver and Victoria for a few days in July to see a few people (ex-gf, mom and sister) and am looking for ideas on what to do and see. i haven't spent any time in either place for about 20 years. what do you guys suggest to do/see?

Sugarphreak
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

G-ZUS
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Riot? and show them what you got

DGill
04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Have some fun with the ex :nut:

KRyn
04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Eat real sushi.

My_name_is_Rob
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
If the weather is nice in victoria, i would suggest renting some scooters and bombing around downtown. Its a great way to explore the downtown area, and not overly expensive.

flipstah
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Eat real sushi.

:werd:

Hallowed_point
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
In Victoria, go see the Royal BC Museum..seriously I hate most museums but this one is outstanding! :D & The Undersea Gardens is wicked.

** Go to "Capital Iron" in Victoria, probably the coolest store I've ever been in. Everything from military surplus to camping gear to random weird stuff you wont see anywhere else :thumbsup:

timdog
04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
for victoria - i love going to the inner harbour and eating some fish tacos at Red Fish Blue Fish (http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/). its a little shack kinda close to the flying otter.. so damn good. I also recommend some of the brewpubs. Canoe brewpub is the least interesting beer-wise but has a pretty sweet patio tucked away from the hustle and bustle, right near the water. Swans is a good time after 9:00pm if you are looking for a good party but aren't into clubs and whatnot.

Manhattan
07-30-2015, 10:12 AM
What's the easiest and/or cheapest way to do Victoria on a day trip? Was planning to drive and take a ferry. Any other suggestions?

C_Dave45
07-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
What's the easiest and/or cheapest way to do Victoria on a day trip? Was planning to drive and take a ferry. Any other suggestions?
Other than flying, isn't that your only option.

ExtraSlow
07-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Too much of a hassle for me to bother doing Victoria on a day trip from Van. Once you fuck around with the ferry, you've killed half your day.

eglove
07-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Visit the Vancouver aquarium, Stanley park is right there too which is nice this time of year. If you are up for a challenge, go do the Grouse grind, great views & there is a wild life zoo at the top, then take the gondola back down. Capilano suspension bridge is also interesting. Granville Island is also a nice place to spend some time.

For Victoria, I’d skip the undersea gardens... it always looks cool but frankly it is so outdated I find it a waste of money. Checking out the harbor and government street is always a highlight. Doing afternoon royal tea at the Empress hotel is one of those bucket list things. Chinatown in Victoria is also interesting, I'd recommend spending some time walking through it! Tons of great pubs and restaurants all over the place in that general area. If you are still looking for things to do, the Royal Wax museum can be interesting. If you have time also check out the Butchart Gardens, very interesting during the day and just as spectacular when the sun goes down as the entire place is lit up with accent lights. I am not a big garden person myself, but I was blown away by that place.

Undersea gardens is long gone AFAIK

revelations
07-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Too much of a hassle for me to bother doing Victoria on a day trip from Van. Once you fuck around with the ferry, you've killed half your day.

Helijet FTW - the Ferries are a complete and utter joke for quick trips.

C_Dave45
07-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Pretty much impossible to do Victoria on a day trip via the Ferries. With nominal waiting lines your over 3 hours one way. (I'm including time spent getting off and into the city as well)
I used to spend all day, on two return trips when I was a kid. Just stay on the same boat the entire day.
If it's hot out, its fun to just people watch, feed the Seagulls out of your hand, and lay on deck suntanning.

Manhattan
07-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Figured you could get on a ferry at 8 or 9 am. It's only a 1 hour ferry ride. Leave on the 8 or 9pm ferry. :dunno:

roopi
07-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Not the cheapest but look into a float plane. Two of the companies are www.seairseaplanes.com and www.harbourair.com but I think there are others.

eglove
07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Figured you could get on a ferry at 8 or 9 am. It's only a 1 hour ferry ride. Leave on the 8 or 9pm ferry. :dunno:

1hr 40 mins

ExtraSlow
07-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Plus you'll need to arrive a minimum of 30 minutes before sailing, and you'll waste 10-15 minutes getting off.

So, two hours each way is optimistic. Budget 2.5 hours each way.
AND, schwartz bay ferry is 45 minutes drive from downtwon victoria. If you are doing "city" stuff, that adds another 1.5 hours.

Tswassen is 45 minutes from Downtown Vancouver as well, anotehr 1.5 hours added.

For me, not worth it at all to kill eight hours of travel, Fuel, plus $180 ferry fare.

ga16i
07-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Drove to Victoria back in early April this year for cherry blossoms. Victoria is doable on a day trip from Vancouver if you start and line up early first thing in the morning and pretty much only do one thing e.g., afternoon tea at the Empress, see Butchart Gardens, etc. Duration of ferry ride is roughly 1.5~2hr if I recall correctly from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. Getting to/from the ferry is painful in Victoria too, way too many damn traffic lights. I think it was a good 45min drive to downtown during the day and maybe 15~20 minutes at night when there's no one around and I hit all the greens. You can book a spot online just in case, but if you go early early, you can hop onto the next available. I've heard horror stories where people just sit and wait for 2~3 ferries. That's 2~3 hours just sitting and waiting!

No other suggestion, just start your day early.

Something else interesting to do at the Victoria Fisherman's Wharf is to feed the seals. There's a fish shop right next to it that sells plates of pretty much chum for the seals.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8725/17065854971_016c321319_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/s13Y7P)Feeding Fish to Seal (https://flic.kr/p/s13Y7P) by Wilson Hui (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wilsonhui/), on Flickr

C_Dave45
07-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by eglove

1hr 40 mins
Sailing time. Loading and unloading is another 20 minutes per side if there's no line up. Then travel time into Victoria and back as well as travel time to and from wherever your staying in Richmond/Tsawwassen. Minimum 6-7 hours spent traveling, plus close to $200 in fares and gas. For a couple of hours in downtown Victoria.??....yeah totally worth a day trip. :rolleyes:

Manhattan
07-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Yeah I'm conviced it's not worth the cost for a day trip given how rushed it will be. Oh well.

trliniar
09-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Bumping thread.

Headed to Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, & Tofino with the girlfriend. Already searched a bunch of older threads, but curious what people recommend to see & what food not too miss out on. I love all sorts of food, but will be hunting down all sorts of sea food joints.

thanks in advance :)

TYMSMNY
09-01-2015, 10:26 PM
I was just in Tofino with the girlfriend two weeks ago. There's not much "to do" there but few good restaurants and beautiful hikes. Shelter, Tacofino (it's a somewhat converted bus), Wolf in the Fog, and Ice House Oyster Bar was where we hit up. Of course, there's that oyster place in the wall.... Big Daddy's Fish Fry. If you're up for it, a little water sport (surfing, SUP, fishing) is always fun.

The drive there is a bit long in the tooth but be prepared for lots of curves!!!

revelations
09-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Skip Nanaimo unless youre into the outdoors/nature/hiking/mtbike scene. Go to Parksville instead and the gorgeous sandy beaches there or Rathtrevor.

Timmeh
09-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Did some brewery tours in Victoria. It's pretty neat if you're a beer person and have never been to one before.

gogreen
09-02-2015, 11:11 AM
For Victoria, the Royal BC Museum was excellent, the water taxis were cool, and Hatley Castle at Royal Roads University was interesting. It's out of town, but the castle was a filming location for 2 of the X-Men movies, Arrow, and The Killing, among others.

For food, I recommend Jam Café for breakfast (fills up quick) and wood-fired pizza at Pizzeria Prima Strada. Lots of choices for seafood too, naturally.

suntan
09-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Drop by the Dutch Bakery. Right downtown. Good food and cheap.

http://thedutchbakery.com/

Drive to Coombs and see the place with goats on the roof!

http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/

revelations
09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
^ Goats on a roof is exciting for about 10 seconds, unless you have kids.

rinny
09-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by trliniar
Bumping thread.

Headed to Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, & Tofino with the girlfriend. Already searched a bunch of older threads, but curious what people recommend to see & what food not too miss out on. I love all sorts of food, but will be hunting down all sorts of sea food joints.

For Tofino-

Rain or shine, try surfing. One of the easiest places to learn as the shallow water goes out so far that you can still catch waves and not be far out.

Make a reservation for Wolf in the Fog. Try their Humboldt Squid if they still have it on their menu, so good. Tacofino is an always.

There's a hike to a WWII plane wreckage, something cool to check out.

zaider
09-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
Bumping thread.

Check out Tacofino for sure. Its a stationary food truck just outside of town. They also have locations in Vancouver and Victoria.

heavyD
09-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Skip Nanaimo unless youre into the outdoors/nature/hiking/mtbike scene. Go to Parksville instead and the gorgeous sandy beaches there or Rathtrevor.

Parksville is only 15 minutes north of Nanaimo so I wouldn't advise skipping it unless you are short time. Qualcomm beach is also nice.

96integra
09-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Vancouver: aquarium, biking around Stanley, sushi/ramen, the usual.

Nanaimo: a group of us took the ferry to Nanaimo, caught clams/oysters, then drove down to Victoria for our stay. If

Victoria: +1 on scooters downtown and riding along the coast. If weather is nice, it is worth it to rent for a whole day as you can hit up a lot of places and find easy parking. It was very scenic with little traffic and beautiful roads. Definitely our highlight of the trip.
You can go crabbing, deep sea fishing. A must eat is Red Fish Blue Fish. Best fish and chips :drool:

Manhattan
09-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Are you guys serious about the fish & chips? I've been to what are supposed to be the best spots for fish & chips like Ivar's in Seattle and it always tastes the same. Just deep fried fish filet. It's like saying which place has the best tater tots. :dunno: