PDA

View Full Version : Mismatched Tires

desto2para
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Not sure if this a repost, didnt find anything. please redirect me in the right direction if it is.

Ive been looking for new tires for some time now, and found 4 tires but I have 2 pairs with different threads, they are the perfect size and everything. I thought it wasnt going to be a problem to put them on my car, until a friend told me that it was illegal to have mismatched tires.

Just curious if anyone else has any info on this?

Thanks.

ercchry
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
:rofl:

get new friends...

lellowrx7
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Lol yeah new friends...
I'm running two mismatched on my current car.
It's not recommended but it's not by any means illegal.

It's all about grip.
If One tread grips more than the other It can be unsafe in corners, or if one grips more in water and snow that the other, it can cause traction issues.

supe
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Its not illegal, its just because you have different thread patterns on the tires the faster you go the more out of sync your wheels get. This could lead to spontaneous combustion and you could die.

desto2para
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Haha yea thats what I told myslf too, Im just gonna go ahead and put them on as planned.
But I guess there are some pros and cons I never ever thought about too

Cos
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah my tires have TREADS they work pretty well.

J-hop
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I would just be careful how you match them that's all. Depending on your rear end you are going to want to run equal circumference tires in the rear. If you have to mix and match side to side make sure you measure them up, even with "100%" tread brand new tires can vary in circumference with manufacture date even if they are the same brand and model so be careful if you are mixing models/brands on the rear. I know an ex ford tech who ran into this issue, a brand new f150 kept coming in with a diff whine, couldn't figure it out until a call to ford revealed they were having issues with trucks having tires of different manufacture dates with circumferences out by over 2 inches causing diff issues...