PDA

View Full Version : wheres a good diner

5.0LitreBeater
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
do you ever get a craving for the hardcore diner style food thats not dennys, humptys, etc? like the kind with breakfast all day style and massive amounts? anyone know a good place?

FixedGear
04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I like diner deluxe, although it really isn't "real" diner food. a lot of folks like the blackfoot diner, but i've been a few times and really didn't like the food at all. There is also the Lido in kensington, which many seem to like but again I thought it was terrible when I went. I'm really, really picky about food though, and probably complain more than most people.

bourge73
04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Galaxie Diner.

Supa Dexta
04-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Find a place truckers go.

ricosuave
04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
blue light diner in bridgeland

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Galaxie Diner
Diner Deluxe
Blue Star Diner
Dairy Lane Cafe

I found all places to be 10/10 and I love breakfast food.

me_dennis
04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
OEB in bridgeland. It used to be called Over Easy Breakfast, but they had to change the name because another business had the name first.

I've only eaten breakfast there, but I personally liked it better than diner deluxe.

Galaxie Diner has awesome corn beef hash!

Blue star diner has amazing burgers. Same owners/menu as dairy lane cafe i believe. Coffee is supposed to be really good. All their ingredients are locally grown/sourced.

Lido is more of a "Dive" It's pretty dirty inside, but the ladies are nice, food is cheap and simple. I must say though, their coffee is terrible:barf:

Penguin_Racecar
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Thirding diner deluxe!

Disoblige
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 5.0LitreBeater
like the kind with breakfast all day style and massive amounts? anyone know a good place?
OP is looking for a place that is breakfast all day and in massive amounts and you guys are recommending him these hipster ass places like Blue Star Diner, Diner Deluxe, Dairy Lane Cafe, etc?

C'mon lol.. Those places suck and I could make a better breakfast at home, and obviously cheaper too.

The only reason why I can see people go to those places is maybe they are hungover in the morning or something. Otherwise I rather eat a good $20-40 brunch buffet in Calgary and be happy.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a place in Calgary that would offer that but the best advice in this thread so far is what Supa Dexta suggested. Find a place where hungry truckers go for the type of food you are looking for.

Otherwise those hipster joints are just long waits, expensive eats for what you get, and totally not in massive quantities.

dannie
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
For massive amounts of food, I wouldn't personally say OEB, Blue Star or Galaxie... But that's just me. They are all awesome (especially Blue Star), but they aren't diner style like you might be looking for.

Blackfoot Truck stop would probably be the most authentic, although the food isn't my favorite either. There is another place in the same area called Nainas or something.... I'd have to google to find out for sure, but they are supposed to be similar.

Also, Eat Eat in Inglewood is decent breakfast food, but there is a new place called The Fine Diner that opened a week ago for breakfast. Awesome food there. Not the greasy spoon that you are looking for tho...

Here it is: http://www.nainaskitchen.com/2852.html

mo_money2supe
04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have experiences at Red's on 4th St just north of 17th Ave? I pass by it every morning and the place is more often than not packed. Tried lining up to try it one time with my wife but the 2-hr wait just didn't seem worth it so we left.

FixedGear
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
There have been a lot of really good cafes mentioned, but isn't OP looking for diners?

I mean diner deluxe and galaxie aren't "real" even diners
:nut:

OP, you can also try Kane's in Inglewood.

FixedGear
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Does anyone have experiences at Red's on 4th St just north of 17th Ave? I pass by it every morning and the place is more often than not packed. Tried lining up to try it one time with my wife but the 2-hr wait just didn't seem worth it so we left.

I've been once, didn't think it was anything special and certainly not worth waiting 2 hours for.

raceman6135
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
If you're looking for good food and a place with NO pretension (and therefore no hipsters, scenesters, wanna-bees), hit up the Deerhead Café on Edmonton Trail.

Yes, it's grungy, so if you or anyone in your group has a problem, don't even go.

The food is good, serving sizes are decent, and prices are cheap.

Too bad the old Country Kitchen changed hands and became OEB because the prices have gone up, serving sizes have gone down, and it's become too "family."

bourge73
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
If he was looking for a cafe style 99th avenue cafe is a great breakie place.

JordanEG6
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Lido's - Kensington
Dairy Lane - Kensington
Diner Deluxe - Edmonton Tr.
OEB Breakfast Co. - Edmonton Tr.
Galaxie Diner - 11 st. Downtown
Red's Diner - 4 st. Downtown

In terms of the kind of diner you are looking for, Lido's is probably the closest. But if you want a more modern diner with different kinds of breakfast foods, any of the above would be awesome.

I personally love OEB and their Soul-in-a-bowl

:drool:

bspot
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
OEB and Blue Star/Dairy Lane FTW.

AndyL
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Used to like lido...

But since AHS has posted up inspection reports / orders... :barf:

Anyone tried the diner next to the trailer park on 16th ave NE? (West of deerfoot) See the RC's and truckers there regularly...

sillysod
05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear

OP, you can also try Kane's in Inglewood.

Definitely Kanes also good dirty diner is the one at the blackfoot petro can truck stop, I'm surprised the waitresses don't smoke inside when they are running food there. haha

K3RMiTdot
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
blue vinny diner

ekguy
05-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Can't believe no one mentioned Belmont Diner in Marda Loop. The banana chocolate pancakes are ridiculars good.

Plus endless hashbrowns on most if not all breakfasts. The Calgary breakfast sandwich is a towering masterpiece.

I polished off 38$ of breakfast by myself on monday. I was "sick" cough cough and had the day off.

2 :thumbsup: to belmont diner and 4 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Graham_A_M
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
^ Sweet, looking for a good diner, I'll have to drop by.