PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have hot tubs (and use them)

Tik-Tok
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
What brand did you buy, how big, how many jets and would you buy it again based on reliability?

If it's from Dynasty, don't bother responding please, I'll never buy from those guys, lol.

SilverKast
04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I got mine from Jacuzzi almost 2 years ago now. I went with the J-480 which is a 6 person hot tub with 48 jets. You'll definitely pay on the high side with Jacuzzi, but I've found it to be worth the money (think it was around $12-14k?).

So far I've had zero problems with my tub, and I use it year round on a frequent basis. My 3 kids love it too so it sees a fair bit of usage. The service and product have been top notch this far and I'd definitely recommend using them.

I'm sure you can find cheaper places to buy a tub, but when I was researching a place to buy from I found that I wanted nothing to do with most of them, lol.

I'd also go with something with the sound system built in, it's the only thing I didn't get and wish I had. I find playing music from another source just doesn't seem to provide the same ambiance once you're in the tub.

Absolutely love my hot tub though, even brought it with me to the new home I just built!

Eride
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I bought a beachcomber right before Christmas got the 750, 8 person tub 45 jets. It's awesome, we use it pretty much every night. Most importantly though the service has been exceptional. Any time I have questions, concerns their staff have been super helpful.

Would buy again for sure.

Tik-Tok
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Those were the two I was leaning towards.

Jacuzzi has one model that I really like, but my Father-in-law used to own a store that sold Beachcombers 30 years ago. Manufacturer longevity is nice to see in such a product.

bspot
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
In my opinion, new hot tubs are a waste of money.

If you buy a used one they are dead easy to fix as long as the plumbing is good.

I rebuilt my pump with no prior experience and $14 in parts (my house came with a hot tub, no clue how old).

Jets? Way more than I ever use.

Jets just make me itchy. I never turn them on.

My hot tub is sunk into the deck and I have 2 good outdoor speakers mounted on the deck railing about 3 feet away from the tub. They sound great and wire right into my home stero system. I can play the same music inside, outside for the tub, outside for the gazebo or any combination.

Tik-Tok
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Jets just make me itchy. I never turn them on.

Maybe because you're getting blasted with the previous owners DNA whenever you turn them on :rofl:

There's a used one FS in my neighborhood, decently priced, but I don't think it's a good name one. Waiting for an email back.

JfuckinC
04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
A friend of mine sells re-furbed tubs(new ones also).. PM if you want to go that route! They have a shop and all that too i just know i cant drop company names like that without sponsorship. :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Just on the sound system comments....I've never heard a built-in stereo on a hut tub what sounded good enough to justify the additional cost. They typically suck, even on 15K units.

Tik-Tok
05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Just on the sound system comments....I've never heard a built-in stereo on a hut tub what sounded good enough to justify the additional cost. They typically suck, even on 15K units.

Was thinking about that. We'll likely put a fence 3' away, along 3 sides of it anyways, so a built-in to the enclosure stereo could be nicely done for way cheaper.

rach
07-11-2012, 09:35 AM
hi guys,
what happens in the winter time? do u guys leave the hot tub warm? i have never own one and thinking about buying one, just worry about when its -30, will it freeze up?

Mibz
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
First winter we kept it warm because we used it. Next few years we hired somebody to drain and winterize it.

rach
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
is that alot of work to drain and winterlize?
just worry about the fees going crazy in winter if not winterlize./

speedog
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Ours has been run continuously throughout the winters for 19 years now with no problems. But, and this is a big but, if you lose power for whatever reason, then you'll have a fairly short window to get things sorted out - a tub full of 39-40C water takes a while to cool down. First thing you'll have to worry about is the pipes - if your tub is conked out, then it's best to drain it as fast as possible so as to not risk any freeze-ups. Friends of ours - brand new outdoor spa last fall, their breaker tripped while they were away and now they have an $7,000+ piece of useless yard furniture because the tub cracked as well as the pipes (all water in tub and pipes froze solid). Insurance wouldn't cover because of issues within the home wiring.

roopi
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
What brand did you buy, how big, how many jets and would you buy it again based on reliability?

Jacuzzi J-355, 5-6 person, I don't think the number of jets is something you need to focus on. Go sit it a tub with 50 jets and then go over to Jacuzzi and try a one with 30 jets. I would definately buy from Jacuzzi again. Customer service was exceptional (almost annoying it was so good). If I were to change anything I wouldn't get a tub with a lounger seat in it.

Originally posted by Mibz
First winter we kept it warm because we used it. Next few years we hired somebody to drain and winterize it.

I find this extremely odd. Over the past 3 years of owning a hot tub I very rarely use it during the summer months. The winter is the best time to be sitting in there.

Originally posted by rach
is that alot of work to drain and winterlize?
just worry about the fees going crazy in winter if not winterlize./

I honestly don't notice much of a difference on my power bill since purchasing a hot tub. Maybe $20.00 extra a month.

Mibz
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
We stopped using it altogether, not just in winter.

rach
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
so when the hot tub is running in winter, it just keeps it warm enough to not to freeze?

JRSC00LUDE
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by rach
so when the hot tub is running in winter, it just keeps it warm enough to not to freeze?

Those new-fangled thermostatic control thingys allow you to set it to maintain whatever temp. you wish it to stay at. The future is now!

roopi
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Those new-fangled thermostatic control thingys allow you to set it to maintain whatever temp. you wish it to stay at. The future is now!

:rofl:

Tik-Tok
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM

New technology scares me. For those that are wondering, I ended up buying a giant black cauldron, and just light a fire under it in the morning, and its perfect temp. when I get home from work. I also eat beans all day for the jet-tub effect.

(seriously though, I was going to wait for fall, but now my garage roof needs replacing :( )

hedge
07-11-2012, 07:27 PM
I use mine way more in the winter than the summer, I have it set lower in the summer to cool off.