PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast television disappoints elemtry school choir

kvg
04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
So my daughters elementary school was given the opportunity to perform on City TV's Breakfast television next week. They have been practicing for close to a month now and today we get word from City TV that they are canceling the performance and just having the hosts announce the Music Monday segment. Now that many of the parents have gotten new fancy outfits for their children and they are super excited about being able to perform on Breakfast Television in a week its cancelled, so enter disappointed kids and tears. Thanks City TV and Breakfast television, the kids are pretty upset over this.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/ab9926f2.jpg

Kloubek
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Guess tomorrow isn't coming after all. Sorry to hear that.

revelations
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Great PR move.

Glad I dont watch TV.

JRSC00LUDE
04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
And to top it off, I just saw on fbook that some jerk won the Rikki's contest too. :thumbsdow

kvg
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
And to top it off, I just saw on fbook that some jerk won the Rikki's contest too. :thumbsdow

The top few we're buying lots of votes off a website :dunno: That's life, I guess I should have thought of that.

kvg
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
BT said maybe they could perform in a couple years:thumbsdow That really helps these kids.

TomcoPDR
04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Just spend $300 on pizza and ice cream on a surprise visit for the whole class

kvg
04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I always sneak candy on field trips and it helps for sure, but that was a cold move by breakfast television

projekz
04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
You should get everyone to show up as planned and pretend you never got the news lol.

That'll show them:D

Team_Mclaren
04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Kids should learn to accept disappointments early. Life sucks, deal with it

88CRX
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

:rofl:

clem24
04-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by kvg

The top few we're buying lots of votes off a website :dunno: That's life, I guess I should have thought of that.

Hahaha not like you weren't vote rigging either... Exactly - you just need to do it better/try harder next time ahahaha.

turbotrip
04-30-2012, 04:49 PM

loool

whiskas
04-30-2012, 04:50 PM

:thumbsup:

rx7_turbo2
04-30-2012, 04:50 PM

+1
Kids everywhere are going to school hungry if they're lucky enough to go to school at all! And I'm gonna whine cause my kid is upset they don't get to be on T.V and I had to buy a new outfit? Too funny!!!

kvg
04-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Hahaha not like you weren't vote rigging either... Exactly - you just need to do it better/try harder next time ahahaha.

I wasn't hating, I just didn't know you could get massive votes for a nominal fee :thumbsup: I'll have to get more info for next time.

kvg
04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

+1
Kids everywhere are going to school hungry if they're lucky enough to go to school at all! Where the hell are you living? Africa? I'm in Calgary, too funny:rofl:

GQNammer
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Now everyone on beyond knows where your kid goes to school.

[Insert random pedo bear pic]

rx7_turbo2
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Where the hell are you living? Africa? I'm in Calgary, too funny:rofl:

Nah I live in Calgary. Lots of kids going to school hungry here too. Not that I care, just found the "tunnel vision" funny.

leftwing
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Where the hell are you living? Africa? I'm in Calgary, too funny:rofl:

http://www.breakfastclubscanada.org/siteContent.aspx?siteContentId=127

Happens in canada too...do they even have schools in Africa?

While I kind of understand your frustration as a parent, this news is hardly thread worthy. Shit happens, the kids will forget about it by recess tomorrow. I feel like you as a parent are more upset about this than your kid is.

Do people even watch breakfast television?

Spoons
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This reminds me when I was on Big Breakfast when I was in Junior High for my schools jazz band. I was a percussionist, so in general I was a shit disturber (seemed like most drummers were lol).

I was thinking it was just another day. I showed up thinking such in jeans and a samurai button up shirt. Bright fucking blue. Oh and a ketchup stain from McDonalds on the way to. Everyone else... black pants, white shirts, black ties.

My teacher was livid. This was her showcase. And since I was the only one who knew the songs, I had to go on. Less questions got asked about my schools jazz band and more about my shirt and where I got it.

That was my experience with Big Breakfast Television.

rx7_turbo2
04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

http://www.breakfastclubscanada.org/siteContent.aspx?siteContentId=127

Happens in canada too...do they even have schools in Africa?

While I kind of understand your frustration as a parent, this news is hardly thread worthy. Shit happens, the kids will forget about it by recess tomorrow. I feel like you as a parent are more upset about this than your kid is.

Do people even watch breakfast television?

I think everything is "thread worthy". It's an internet forum everything is fair game.

I just thought this thread was an interesting social commentary on how narrowed your vision can become when you have kids. I don't have kids, I anticipate it'll happen to me as well when the day comes that I do.

spikerS
04-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This reminds me when I was on Big Breakfast when I was in Junior High for my schools jazz band. I was a percussionist, so in general I was a shit disturber (seemed like most drummers were lol).

I was thinking it was just another day. I showed up thinking such in jeans and a samurai button up shirt. Bright fucking blue. Oh and a ketchup stain from McDonalds on the way to. Everyone else... black pants, white shirts, black ties.

My teacher was livid. This was her showcase. And since I was the only one who knew the songs, I had to go on. Less questions got asked about my schools jazz band and more about my shirt and where I got it.

That was my experience with Big Breakfast Television.

LOL, I think I remember watching that thinking you looked out of place and really bored.

TomcoPDR
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

Do people even watch breakfast television? ahe I miss those days before the school bus came watching darkwing duck, tailspin, goof troops, kids street.

Mar
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
elemtry?

kvg
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
All parents want to protect young children from disappointment and the harsh realitys of life, but seeing a douche move pulled on 6-8 year olds is kinda harsh.:dunno: Maybe I should have been happy she gets to be disappointed and tell her it will help her in life. She was one of the least upset kids, but the ones in tears that have been telling family and friends for the last month out of excitement, I do really feel for those kids.

e31
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Isn't the CityTV station right next to the C-train line downtown? Everytime I ride past in the morning I think about bribing a homeless guy to run in there and start disturbing the peace.

kvg
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
darkwing duck

Awesome show!!!

Xtrema
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Can't the whole group just stand in front of the BT window and looked pissed?

kvg
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
That would be epic!

RY213
04-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Speaking of BT, Jill Belland really fell off. She was a lot cuter when she had more weight on her. Now she looks emaciated.

Speaking of morning news programs, am I the only one who finds Leslie Horton on Global super annoying? Same with Tara Slone and Ted Henley. Andrew Shultz is the only reason to tune in to City TV.

Speaking of Global, Dallas Flexhaug is a total babe! So is Carla Bosacki!

sputnik
04-30-2012, 07:46 PM
I will NEVER watch Breakfast Television AGAIN!

Modelexis
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Perform on youtube, who gives a fuck about BT? Do people even watch TV anymore?

leftwing
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by RY213

Yeah she totally is! I love Dallas, not Carla so much. I used think Brienne Glass was a hottie before she left for maternity leave.

GingeRRRBeef
04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Retweet!

https://twitter.com/#!/yeunge/status/197149787303321600

HiTempguy1
04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Speaking of BT, Jill Belland really fell off. She was a lot cuter when she had more weight on her. Now she looks emaciated.

Speaking of morning news programs, am I the only one who finds Leslie Horton on Global super annoying? Same with Tara Slone and Ted Henley. Andrew Shultz is the only reason to tune in to City TV.

Apparently some people are still stuck in the 90's...

adidas
04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k594/HughMyronPhotography/JapaneseWrestling.gif

Disoblige
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
No love for Amber Schinkel? Haha :D

wintonyk
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

+1 for this. The kids are happy they still get to perform. They can show all their friends and family.

I am sure there is at least 1 parent with a camera and a bit of experience editing video. Besides you will likely get more views and more time.

From the producers point of view, keep one class of students happy who will forget about it after a week. Or keep the rest of the population entertained. Honestly when they show other peoples kids performing, I am the first person to flip channels. If it was my kids, I would have that PVRd and be watching in slow motion though. So I see where your frustration lies.

Mar
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM

I was surprised when I found out Tara Slone was the lead singer of Joydrop back in the day. I used to rock Beautiful all the time back in university.

dangleberries
05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Nah I live in Calgary. Lots of kids going to school hungry here too. Not that I care, just found the "tunnel vision" funny. a group of kids just spent months practicing some shit and looking forward to some shit to be turned down at the last second. theyre allowed to feel bad. that aint against the law nigga.

u aint even funny. u just a judgmental prick hatin on the kids to feel better about your own empty life. you suck bro.

Lex350
05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by dangleberries
a group of kids just spent months practicing some shit and looking forward to some shit to be turned down at the last second. theyre allowed to feel bad. that aint against the law nigga.

u aint even funny. u just a judgmental prick hatin on the kids to feel better about your own empty life. you suck bro.

well said.

sputnik
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
theyre allowed to feel bad. that aint against the law

Sure. They are allowed to feel sad. Does that mean there needs to be public complaining, angry parents and Facebook/Twitterspam?

Probably not.

Exactly. There are no guarantees in life and crying and whining doesn't help either. Do we really need more kids with an unwarranted sense of entitlement?

The fact that the parent is the OP makes me feel sorry for our society.

Seth1968
05-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by kvg
So my daughters elementary school was given the opportunity...

"Opportunity" only implies a possibility.

Was there confirmation?

Feruk
05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Wow what's with all the hate and mention of Africa? Fact: barely anybody cares about Africa. Seems the OP's got a pretty valid complaint. Kids were promised something, bought uniforms and wasted months of their time practicing, and Breakfast Television just cancels it. I don't think we should teach children failure comes from working hard.

sputnik
05-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Kids were promised something, bought uniforms and wasted months of their time practicing, and Breakfast Television just cancels it. I don't think we should teach children failure comes from working hard.

Were they promised anything? Very little in life is guaranteed. If there was a downtown fire or a death of a prominent Calgarian that morning the kids wouldn't be performing either. It is the nature of the television industry.

There was nothing about uniforms, rather parents buying their kids new outfits for their TV appearance. Not exactly the fault of CityTV. Its not like they told the parents that the kids had to be in a specific outfit to be on TV.

It was a school choir that probably practices and performs all of the time throughout the year. Its not like BT was telling a random group of kids that they could be on TV if they started a choir, practiced hard and learned that song.

Ntense_SpecV
05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Were they promised anything? Very little in life is guaranteed. If there was a downtown fire or a death of a prominent Calgarian that morning the kids wouldn't be performing either. It is the nature of the television industry.

There was nothing about uniforms, rather parents buying their kids new outfits for their TV appearance. Not exactly the fault of CityTV. Its not like they told the parents that the kids had to be in a specific outfit to be on TV.

It was a school choir that probably practices and performs all of the time throughout the year. Its not like BT was telling a random group of kids that they could be on TV if they started a choir, practiced hard and learned that song.

The difference in your example is that it would be an unplanned, unexpected change for the kids not to be performing. BT just flatout changed their minds. Have you never felt joy from being able to do something exciting, then have it yanked out from under you...as a young kid? I can see how kids would be pretty upset. Yes they will get over it, and yes they will maybe learn not to be so trusting or expectant, but you are a bitter person not to feel some empathy for the kids.

dangleberries
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Sure. They are allowed to feel sad. Does that mean there needs to be public complaining, angry parents and Facebook/Twitterspam?

Probably not.

Exactly. There are no guarantees in life and crying and whining doesn't help either. Do we really need more kids with an unwarranted sense of entitlement?

The fact that the parent is the OP makes me feel sorry for our society. nigga pls, everyone is "entitled" to freedom of expression, even when its expressing displeasure via public complaining. are u against that mussolini?

codetrap
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
~snip~ Seems the OP's got a pretty valid complaint. Kids were promised something, bought uniforms and wasted months of their time practicing, and Breakfast Television just cancels it. I don't think we should teach children failure comes from working hard.

I understand where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. If you think that the purchase of the uniforms and all the practice was a waste of time, then you're part of the problem. Hard work does not guarantee success, that is the first lesson. A hard one, but a necessary one.

The second lesson is that buying the uniforms specifically and only for this performance is poor planning on the part of the parents & coaches. If they can't be used for other recitals, or for any other purpose, then they have nobody else but themselves to blame.

The third and probably most important is that the practice they did is NOT wasted unless they choose to give up and walk away. Practicing and getting better at a skill is never a waste, and should be pursued because it's a goal within itself. This is a HUGE life lesson for kids, and cannot be reinforced enough. Self improvement is like research. It ALWAYS pays off, quite often in unexpected ways, even if you don't reach your intended goal.

I guess you could say the fourth is that life will throw you curve balls and disappointments from time to time. How you deal with them is a good measure of your character. If you can teach the kids how to rise above those disappointments, move on and set new goals then you've done a good job as a parent/teacher. If you teach them to simply whine and complain about it then you're simply teaching them how to fail.

C_Dave45
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Speaking of Global, Dallas Flexhaug is a total babe!
x2. Also think Bindu Suri is really cute too.

sputnik
05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

The difference in your example is that it would be an unplanned, unexpected change for the kids not to be performing. BT just flatout changed their minds. Have you never felt joy from being able to do something exciting, then have it yanked out from under you...as a young kid? I can see how kids would be pretty upset. Yes they will get over it, and yes they will maybe learn not to be so trusting or expectant, but you are a bitter person not to feel some empathy for the kids.

Sure. I feel sorry for them that they were let down, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Their feelings shouldn't have been a topic of discussion on Beyond in an attempt to aim frustration at CityTV or BT. The discussion should have been between the parent and child explaining to them that the TV station changed the format of the show and that their performance was cancelled. End of discussion.

I have a feeling that this thread is more due to the fact that either the OP/parent was upset that they had to give their kids some bad news and is blaming CityTV for forcing them to be a parent in this situation.

If this doesn't happen a few times as a kid, just wait until they are older and don't make it onto the school team, or into the major they applied for or they get laid off from a job due to corporate cutbacks.

It is parents like this that are now giving every kid a trophy because soccer games no longer keep score.

Every child should ALWAYS get their way and be happy!

LollerBrader
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM

I have a feeling that this thread is more due to the fact that either the OP/parent was upset that they had to give their kids some bad news and is blaming CityTV for forcing them to be a parent in this situation.

I was initially sympathetic with the OP, but have to concur with Sputnik's perspective: Such stressors are a part of life and build character, and children should not be denied them.

kvg
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I never said kids should always be happy, wtf.

The fact that the parent is the OP makes me feel sorry for our society.

Thats a pretty personal attack coming form someone who has never met me, anything else you would care to add about me or my family? I posting point out on a public forum that Breakfast Television gave a school a date to perform on their show and after a month of preparation the school was informed that they changed their mind the week before. I'm sure if it was you or me we wouldn't care, but these young kids were excited and this was a really big deal to them. I don't think they will change their mind, but it was a shitty thing to do.

Spoons
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by spikers

LOL, I think I remember watching that thinking you looked out of place and really bored.

Sounds about right. God I hated that Jazz band. I wish I could find that video clip somewhere.

Beyond CSI!!!!! Dig! St. Elizabeth Seton Junior High

codetrap
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Thats a pretty personal attack coming form someone who has never met me, anything else you would care to add about me or my family?

Just to be clear, I'm NOT trying to attack you personally or dispute your parenting skills. I have no idea how you dealt with it with your kids. I was just making observations based on my opinions and what I'm attempting to do with my daughter. I also think this is a great topic for discussion, because I never know when I'll learn from someone else on how they dealt with a situation.

I do agree that it sucks for the kids though.

kvg
05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks codetrap, I never made a big deal of it with my daughter, I'm just expressing my displeasure elsewhere.

C_Dave45
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Having kids and gone through similar disappoinments, that would suck big time. Sure its life. But it till sucks and it's heartbraking when you see your kid's get disappointed like that.
That's a bummer, KVG.

kvg
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Maybelater
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
a group of kids just spent months practicing some shit and looking forward to some shit to be turned down at the last second. theyre allowed to feel bad. that aint against the law nigga.

NIGGA BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TROLLLLLll

cancer man
05-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Shitty deal but just curious ? If it was a son vs a daughter would
you still feel the same way?
Or would you have said suck it up shit happens.

J-hop
05-02-2012, 06:49 AM
..... So bullshit aside, has the school been looking into doing something like a concert for the kids? Then they still get to perform.