PDA

View Full Version : Was I being un-reasonable with this offer?

artieg30
04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Long story, i've been looking for a new car, went into a dealership today and test drove the car I liked and proceeded to make them an offer. Here are some coles notes on the car

- asking price was $28,000 on the dealer's web site
- car has approx. 60,000KM
- overall interior and exterior is in mint condition
- car came only with winter tires
- may possibly need some service as the maintenance light came on during the test drive
- carfax report is clean

anyways, after the test drive we proceed to head inside and work out a deal. I offer the guy $25,500 as a starting price (left room to haggle). Long story short with all the dealer admin fees and taxes the guy could not do $27,000 all in.

Am I being unreasonable here or is the guy just trying to gouge me? I honestly didn't think i was that out of tune with the offer as a set of new tires on that car would've cost me ~$1000.00 CAD alone so i was happy to settle at $27K all in, what are your guys thoughts?

DboyNismo
04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
did he explain the maintenance light? and what car?

Dumbass17
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
if it has a maintence light on, i wouldn't bother bud

redline
04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
What dealer?

artieg30
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
its an 2009 infiniti g37s, car's at Kramer Mazda. The maintenance light mentioned something about an oil change so i wasn't too concerned.

The other thing too was the car seemed to have some hesitation from 0-30km/h so that was another issue i pointed out with them.

JZS_147
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
issues with the car....save yourself the hassle and walk away. there are a ton of other G37's for sale.

btimbit
04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
^ This. You probably want one badly enough to look past a few seemingly minor things, but just walk away. Especially since the dealer is giving you grief.

Mar
04-30-2012, 10:03 PM
CarFax is useless in Canada. Is that what they gave you?

CanmoreOrLess
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Lights coming on, hesitation issues and a no bend salesman... let the door hit yer arse on the way out. Oh and I left out the 2K in rims and tires you are needing to buy, and a four wheel alignment.

artieg30
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Mar
CarFax is useless in Canada. Is that what they gave you?

my mistake, it was actually a car proof report. I think you're right, the color combination was what did it for me, cant let that cloud my judgement however!

mark4091
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah I wouldn't bother with it. If it has a light on it could be a number of things, but either way it's proof the dealership doesn't give a shit.

J-hop
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
About two years ago my dad offered 1500 less than asking for a used truck priced at over 50k. The dealer wouldn't budge so he walked away, 6 months later the truck was still on the lot, never figured out if/how much the truck sold for.

Moral, some dealerships would rather have inventory sit around than budge a penny on their used cars. I would move on...

Disoblige
04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by artieg30

The other thing too was the car seemed to have some hesitation from 0-30km/h so that was another issue i pointed out with them.
Yikes, that would be enough for me to walk away period. Not like Calgary has a shortage of 37s.

GT4rally
05-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Most of those 2,3,4 year old cars on dealer lots are from the dealer auction (no matter what story they tell you!) and many are even from Ontario/Quebec (rusty). This is especially true if the car is not the same brand as the selling dealer.

Try to find a private sale!
Better deal in every way;
- you have more room on price
- you can usually get a better history on the car (service records)
- there's no GST or "admin fees"
- seller's are usually more friendly and flexible, since they have a vested interest in the sale.

BTW, a good buddy of mine has a red 2004 G35 coupe 6spd brembo package with only 18,000 kms on it that has been collecting dust in his garage for a few years.
He bought it brand new from Hyatt and only drives it on warm summer weekends.
I'm sure he would part with it for low 20's.
Send me a PM if you'd like his number.

revelations
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

Try to find a private sale!
Better deal in every way;
- you have more room on price
- you can usually get a better history on the car (service records)
- there's no GST or "admin fees"
- seller's are usually more friendly and flexible, since they have a vested interest in the sale.

:werd:

Private is the way to go, however you have to do your own due diligence.

- carproof
- lien check
- thorough mechanical inspection (compression test too)

JLau
05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
i think your offer is very reasonable. They probably knew you love the car and would buy it even with problems with it, thats why they want more out of you. I am sure they will call you back in a day or so... the maintenance light is a minor problem, but i am surprised a dealership like them would sell a vehicle with maintenance light on. The lag, i would make sure that is non existence before you make a move on it.

I am sure with that budget you can find a lot of g37s out there, if financing is your concern, just get a proapproval loan at your own bank.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Walk away.