PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving test

Sykes
05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
This totally should be implemented (if not already) for new drivers in Canada - they gotta get 'em right at the beginning.

HbjSWDwJILs

Kloubek
05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Do you happen to enter the forums via forums.beyond.ca? Because I'm pretty sure you bypass the homepage entirely....

Modelexis
05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
An obstacle course is an unrealistic representation of every day driving, especially in calgary.

Calgary driving =
70% stopped in traffic waiting for a light
30% cruising below the speed limit driving in a straight line because there are slow drivers blocking all lanes.

This is nothing like a short obstacle course.
When you're in traffic you can see brake lights flash in your vision while texting, you can't do this with pylons on the ground.

This test was cooked up to give texting an unrealistic and false sense of danger.

I could make a driving while wearing a skirt and heels test and make some girls drive around an autocross track and watch them fail, doesn't mean girls can't do it safely.

speedog
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
When you're in traffic you can see brake lights flash in your vision while texting, you can't do this with pylons on the ground. I'll call BS on this statement as there's been too many times on Deerfoot and other roads where I've seen texting drivers rear end or almost rear end a stopped car in front of them. Flashing brake lights does not wake up or alert the inattentive drivers.

Modelexis
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by speedog
I'll call BS on this statement as there's been too many times on Deerfoot and other roads where I've seen texting drivers rear end or almost rear end a stopped car in front of them. Flashing brake lights does not wake up or alert the inattentive drivers.

Strawman bro, I didn't say a flashing brake light will get your attention 100 times out of 100, I simply said that a flashing light at eye level is easier to spot than a pylon on the ground.

GTS4tw
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
You do know this is just a commercial right...?

speedog
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Strawman bro, I didn't say a flashing brake light will get your attention 100 times out of 100, I simply said that a flashing light at eye level is easier to spot than a pylon on the ground. I'd dare say that flashing brake lights don't seem to get the attention of most of the texting drivers that I see on a daily basis - will agree that a flashing and closer to eye level brake light should get one's attention better than a pylon, but in reality I just don't see it happening out there.

Disoblige
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Strawman bro, I didn't say a flashing brake light will get your attention 100 times out of 100, I simply said that a flashing light at eye level is easier to spot than a pylon on the ground.
Flashing taillight MAY be easier to spot at eye level than a pylon (which is debatable when it's bright out), but you're giving drivers too much credit.

Obviously saying "b ther in 10 min sorry!" is more important to them and more often than not their peripheral vision doesn't help shit because they're too preoccupied.

Sykes
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
You do know this is just a commercial right...?

Commercial or not, I still think it would be a good idea to implement (or at least an adaptation/modification of it) for learning drivers.

v2kai
05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
give me a blackberry with full qwerty keyboard and I'll ace that test, touch screen smart phone... not so much

OriginalGoods
05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
if you have the key pad memorized then your all good , no need to take your eyes off the road . you can even tell when you make mistakes and correct them as well

jonnycat
05-01-2012, 04:51 PM
An obstacle course is an unrealistic representation of every day driving, especially in calgary.

Calgary driving =
70% stopped in traffic waiting for a light
30% cruising below the speed limit driving in a straight line because there are slow drivers blocking all lanes.

This is nothing like a short obstacle course.
When you're in traffic you can see brake lights flash in your vision while texting, you can't do this with pylons on the ground.

This test was cooked up to give texting an unrealistic and false sense of danger.

I could make a driving while wearing a skirt and heels test and make some girls drive around an autocross track and watch them fail, doesn't mean girls can't do it safely.

Agreed.

Normal people would wait until it is "safer" to text. Red light, long straight stretch etc.