PDA

View Full Version : Warning letter from Telus. How do I mask my IP address when using torrent sites?

CanmoreOrLess
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Telus has sent me four love letters in the last month, all warnings for downloading episodes of South Park of all shows. How do I mask my IP address when using torrent sites? Using a Mac if it matters. Been downloading torrents since 2003, never had an issue like this.

We are writing to inform you that TELUS has received a complaint that alleges that your TELUS Internet Service account has been involved in copyright infringement. This complaint was traced back to your account based on the IP address used at the time of this activity.

At TELUS, we respect our customers privacy: we have not provided your personal account information to the complainant. It is TELUS policy to disclose such information to a complainant in this context only if ordered to do so by a court of law. Please visit http://about.telus.com/community/english/privacy for more information about our privacy practices.

We do, however, want you to be aware that this complaint was received by us and offer you the following information that may be of help to you:

If you are unaware of this type of activity originating from your account, you may wish to inquire with others who have access to your account.

If you are using a dial-up account, change the account password to ensure that only authorized users have access to it.

You may also want to check your system for viruses, which may explain why this sort of activity is originating from your account.

If the ADSL modem is connected to a wireless router, please make sure that only your authorized computers can connect to it and access the internet. For help in securing the wireless router, please contact the router vendor.

Below is an excerpt from the complaint that we received regarding your account. We include it in this notice in an effort to help you identify the activity that is in question.

Sincerely,

James
TELUS Communications
Internet Abuse Team Member
Email [email protected]

C_Dave45
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Pffft....all they're saying is "we received this complaint...we won't divulge any of your info unless directed by a court of law"

I wouldn't even acknowledge it.

HyperZell
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Can we see the excerpt?

Also, can't you use something like Hotspot Shield to protect your IP?

no_joke
05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
I got the same thing a few weeks ago:

Excerpt from complaint:
---

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Title: South Park
Filename: South.Park.S15E02.HDTV.XviD-FEVER.avi
Distribution found at: 2011-10-12 12:31:23 GMT
Local time: 1000-00-00 00:00:02
Protocol: BitTorrent

The copyright holder alleges that at 1000-00-00 00:00:02, they were able to connect to the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. This IP address was assigned to your connection at that time. During the connection they say that they found that portions of the file South Park was actively being distributed from your connection. They conclude that as they were able to extract a portion of the file South.Park.S15E02.HDTV.XviD-FEVER.avi from your connection that their exclusive distribution rights are being violated. They are asking that the file sharing stops immediately. Please note, we can trace the IP address to your account. The actual file could be shared from any computer behind your router, including ones that connect wirelessly.

CanmoreOrLess
05-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by no_joke
I got the same thing a few weeks ago:

Same. Same. Word for word.

403Gemini
05-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Play dumb "How do i password my wireless router?! think neighbours kids are using my network!"

dj_rice
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Are you guys uploading the file after you guys finish downloading it?

Cause I always delete the torrent right after it finishes.

CompletelyNumb
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Stop sharing files?

speedog
05-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Stop sharing files? Leeching in other words?

Disoblige
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Try this or something similar. Browse through the options of the client you are using and see if they have the feature.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7268563_hide-ip-address-utorrent.html

WhippWhapp
05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Usenet, nzbmatrix, sabdnzb.

If that fails: yagi + Alfa + Bactrack distro + wordlist + CUDA gpu's.

CanmoreOrLess
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, I am looking at a paid site for the blocking aspect.

A ton of the stuff I download is not available in NA, stuff from UKNova, BBC, ITV, UK material including WRC races. Today I got the first four episodes of Nurse Jackie, not broadcasting until the 8th of May. I'd pay for it all IF such an option existed.

Where else can one get the latest Top Gear episodes other than through a torrent?

FiveFreshFish
05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Would PeerBlock work?

big A
05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
read this thread
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332166/is-shaw-blocking-torrent-trackers-lately/
Tik Tok told me how to solve the problem.

jacky4566
05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Best way to stop these letters is to enforce encryption within the torrent client. It may slow down your speeds but no body knows what your downloading. Seeding doesn't really matter since if they are sniffing your packets they can check wither is uploaded or downloaded. So please be kind and seed.

Check out this chart:
http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs#Canada

schocker
05-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

I switched from a private tracker to usenet. It is $8 a month for unlimited 50 connections so it is not too bad and I get my 5-6MBps, so I am pleased, no more having to upload either.

SilverGS
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Sickbeard too with sabdnzb

Cos
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM

codetrap
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, I am looking at a paid site for the blocking aspect.

A ton of the stuff I download is not available in NA, stuff from UKNova, BBC, ITV, UK material including WRC races. Today I got the first four episodes of Nurse Jackie, not broadcasting until the 8th of May. I'd pay for it all IF such an option existed.

Where else can one get the latest Top Gear episodes other than through a torrent?

bbc.co.uk.

big A
11-28-2014, 04:34 PM
A couple of questions: Is peerblock still the one to use, and is kickass torrents still alright?

revelations
11-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Stopped downloading TV shows years ago. Only streaming now.

firebane
11-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Stopped downloading TV shows years ago. Only streaming now.

TV shows are fine to download. I am part of a very large tv tracker site and using encryption and other means.. *knock on wood* no issues yet.

MGCM
11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
been using kickass with utorrent for years, never had an issue. Just ignore those retarded letters, they have no power..........yet

pheoxs
11-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Usenet FTW. Haven't touched a torrent in years.

schocker
11-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Usenet FTW. Haven't touched a torrent in years.
Popular shows go down too quick so I will grab them, from private torrents if I missed it by a couple of days.

blairtruck
11-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Popular shows go down too quick so I will grab them, from private torrents if I missed it by a couple of days.
are you not using sickbeard/couch potato ?
i have mine to search for new shows every 15 mins. never miss one.

pheoxs
11-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Use a backup account from a different retailer along with sickbeard. I don't get any takedowns. I can add a new show and by the next day every episode is loaded up

The_Penguin
11-28-2014, 06:55 PM

This. Though sometimes they get taken down fast.

nzwasp
11-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Utorrent is owned by the mpaa you might want to change your software

firebane
11-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Utorrent is owned by the mpaa you might want to change your software

There is a reason why trackers that have integrity ban all version of utorrent except v2.2

SportEL
11-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Use Icefilms.info to download shows.

revelations
11-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by firebane

TV shows are fine to download. I am part of a very large tv tracker site and using encryption and other means.. *knock on wood* no issues yet.

Why bother with storage ? We have a dedicated media PC that is just used to stream websites that host any show you can think of. :dunno:

(eg tubeplus)

16hypen3sp
11-28-2014, 10:38 PM
We used to use a program called PeerGuardian. Haven't downloaded in years now though.

Proyecto2000
11-28-2014, 10:44 PM
I have been using PureVPN to hide my IP.

schocker
11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck

are you not using sickbeard/couch potato ?
i have mine to search for new shows every 15 mins. never miss one.
I have never got around to setting it up onto my nas :rofl:

The_Penguin
11-29-2014, 09:40 AM
What's everyone using for Sickbeard searches?
My Miatrix subscription just expired, thought I'd check before renewing.

firebane
11-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Why bother with storage ? We have a dedicated media PC that is just used to stream websites that host any show you can think of. :dunno:

(eg tubeplus)

Storage? We don't keep the tv shows when we are done watching. Media is always on a roation with me and the only thing that is really ever kept is movies until they are bought.

And streaming websites? Meh.

pheoxs
11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
What's everyone using for Sickbeard searches?
My Miatrix subscription just expired, thought I'd check before renewing.

Dognzb. Also I ditched sickbeard a while back and shifted over to nzbdrone

as for the random free streaming sites most of them are shit for quality so no way I'd use them.

My whole system is fully automated, I haven't manually looked for a stream or show in months, it all autodownloads then gets pushed into plex and shows recently aired/added

A790
11-29-2014, 11:00 AM
UnblockUS ($5/mo) = Watch south park online legally for free.

rage2
11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
My whole system is fully automated, I haven't manually looked for a stream or show in months, it all autodownloads then gets pushed into plex and shows recently aired/added
Well that certainly puts that 1.5TB a month usage into perspective. :rofl:

Once those caps come in, it'll be cheaper to watch legally than to pay for bandwidth to sustain your usage model haha.

01RedDX
11-29-2014, 11:49 AM

pheoxs
11-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Well that certainly puts that 1.5TB a month usage into perspective. :rofl:

Once those caps come in, it'll be cheaper to watch legally than to pay for bandwidth to sustain your usage model haha.

My account has no cap :-) not a soft cap, no cap so not terribly concerned.

Seth1968
11-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Pffft....all they're saying is "we received this complaint...we won't divulge any of your info unless directed by a court of law"

I wouldn't even acknowledge it.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
Play dumb "How do i password my wireless router?! think neighbours kids are using my network!"

Originally posted by dj_rice
Are you guys uploading the file after you guys finish downloading it?

Cause I always delete the torrent right after it finishes.

All of that.

Also, torrent clients will usually have the option to, "Remove torrents once the download is complete". Do so.