PDA

View Full Version : Calgary! Home to youngest MENSA member!

KRyn
05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
In Canada that is...

http://www.timescolonist.com/Still+diapers+Mensa/6508618/story.html

Still in diapers, he's in Mensa
Calgary toddler's IQ in the same league as Einstein and Hawking. Anthony Popa Urria, 2, who speaks three languages and can read full sentences in books he has never seen before, has become a member of Mensa, the high-IQ society. He's not out of diapers yet, but a Calgary toddler has become the youngest person in Canada to join the ranks of the international high-IQ society, Mensa.

Meet Anthony Popa Urria. At two years and nine months, Anthony has a staggeringly high IQ score of 154, just a few points shy of the estimated IQs of Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

While most of his peers are singing Itsy Bitsy Spider and drawing crayon scribbles, this bright toddler spends his time reciting the alphabet backward and forward, counting to 1,000, and listing the planets in the solar system, days in a week, months in a year and the seasons.

He also speaks three languages (English, Spanish and some Romanian), can read full sentences in books he has never seen before, can write his own name and many other words, and can solve complex 70-piece puzzles, among his vast skills.

On a Friday afternoon in the Popa Urria household, the rambunctious youngster seems like any other two-year-old.

Sitting on his blue, yellow and red tricycle, Anthony helps himself to a spoonful of chocolate ice cream.

"Yummy!" he exclaims with a smile after the first bite. But as he peers over a gigantic illustrated atlas more than twice his size, points to and identifies the capital city of Madagascar (it's Antananarivo, in case you didn't know), it's clear the youngster is no ordinary child.

His grandmother Felicia, who looks after Anthony during the day while his parents are at work, said she noticed early on that baby Anthony was an exceptionally quick learner.

"He was very alert since he was about four months old. He was curious, looking around," said Felicia.

At the age of six months, Felicia realized he could identify letters of the alphabet.

"He wasn't even speaking yet, but my mom would have three flash cards up and she would say, 'Pick the letter C,' and he would point to it," explained Anthony's mother Laura, who holds four degrees, including a master of economics.

By 10 months, he was sounding out the alphabet phonetically. At first, Laura said she was skeptical. She wondered if her son was simply memorizing the letters without comprehending them.

In February, Laura took him to London, England, to have his IQ tested.

Anthony met with British psychologist Joan Freeman, known for her research on gifted people.

"Naming alone is a first step in learning, being able to describe the function and selection of items are more advanced skills, which Anthony did well above his age level," Freeman wrote in her report.

When Vicki Herd, a national board member for Mensa Canada, first saw Anthony listed as a new member of the society, she was convinced there had been a typo.

"We thought, 'Hey, they must have got the birthdate wrong,'" she said with a laugh.

Across Canada, there are only seven other members of Mensa aged 10 or younger.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Still+diapers+Mensa/6508618/story.html#ixzz1teMFfP1Y

spike98
05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
He can speak 3 languages and count to 1000 but he cannot grasp the concept of not shitting in his pants?

JRSC00LUDE
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Great, now a bunch of member babies are going to be getting feather-dusted while their parents hold up a picture of this kid saying "He smarter than you, why you no smarter than him?! Why you so lazy?".

;)

Shlade
05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Great, now a bunch of member babies are going to be getting feather-dusted while their parents hold up a picture of this kid saying "He smarter than you, why you no smarter than him?! Why you so lazy?".

;)

only asian parents

kvg
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I could take him.

J-hop
05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Poor guy is in for a tough life I bet

charlie2
05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by spike98
He can speak 3 languages and count to 1000 but he cannot grasp the concept of not shitting in his pants?

My thoughts exactly.

spikerS
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by spike98

:rofl:

JAYMEZ
05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Poor guy is in for a tough life I bet

Thats what I was thinking as well... He is going to skip alot of grades , and not be with his own age group... Oh well , lets hope this kid solves some of earths fucked up problems :thumbsup:

Mar
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
From what I understand, the tests used on infants is not the same Wechsler test used to test adults. My understanding is that, due to the test's reliance on age, babies need only score marginally to get into the same genius range as an adult. So in order to get an intelligence quotient of 140, a baby of 2 years old need only have the mental age of a 2.8 year old, only 9 months advanced. Whoopty-do.

CanmoreOrLess
05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I have worked with classrooms of children who at the age of five could name every planet in order, play the scales on a piano, name every major organ in the body and were working on the names of all the countries in the world including the capital cities. I taught them, I could not do nearly as well without a cheat sheet in most cases. The little buggers are memorizing sponges, application... well that is another story. Their parents were all very high achieving professionals who in general went to Hawaii to give birth to all their offspring, this assured each child a place in the USA if desired. I believe the child had to make a choice on a nation passport by the age of twenty-one.

I look at my nephews and nieces, like pods in front of a TV and know in my heart the asians have won and we never knew the question.

nismodrifter
05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/641/0a6/656/resized/high-expectations-asian-father-meme-generator-blood-type-b-why-not-a-65e2d6.jpg

Maybelater
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I have worked with classrooms of children who at the age of five could name every planet in order, play the scales on a piano, name every major organ in the body and were working on the names of all the countries in the world including the capital cities. I taught them, I could not do nearly as well without a cheat sheet in most cases. The little buggers are memorizing sponges, application... well that is another story. Their parents were all very high achieving professionals who in general went to Hawaii to give birth to all their offspring, this assured each child a place in the USA if desired. I believe the child had to make a choice on a nation passport by the age of twenty-one.

I look at my nephews and nieces, like pods in front of a TV and know in my heart the asians have won and we never knew the question.

Asians huh? How did this get about Asians? What are you rambling about.

Also the kid in the article is Caucasian.

Mar
05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater

I assume the classroom of children were Asian. Also it's pretty evident in today's society that Asians put more emphasis on scholastic dedication than western nations.

Maybelater
05-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I assume the classroom of children were Asian. Also it's pretty evident in today's society that Asians put more emphasis on scholastic dedication than western nations.

Do Asian people normally refer to themselves as Asians and White people as Western Nations?

I'm a whole nation.

I'm mostly irritated at the 'won' comment, I didn't know that races were suppose to be in a competition with each other, what a harmonious society that westerners have brought upon themselves.

Also the most educated nations on earth are Canada and Israel. Japan and Korea are in the top ten, but the rest are also Western nations.

R-Audi
05-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Meh...
Its not like being a member of Mensa actually gets you anything or anywhere.... Might be able to make some good contact, but just because you are smart doesnt mean you wil be successful.

HiTempguy1
05-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Meh...
Its not like being a member of Mensa actually gets you anything or anywhere.... Might be able to make some good contact, but just because you are smart doesnt mean you wil be successful.

I would disagree. Almost certainly the kid will get HUGE scholarships out of high school due to incredible marks (if the kid doesn't become a burnout, lose interest, etc etc).

Probably go to school for 7+ years, get a PHD, and then do whatever.

Usually you don't see people with high IQ's rolling hard in the trailer park drinking beer.

AndyL
05-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Usually you don't see people with high IQ's rolling hard in the trailer park drinking beer.
actually, the only mensa member and toastmaster I know does exactly that... burned out in his early 40s, landscapes now - drinks beers and rides his Harley everywhere.... and yes, he's in a trailer park (riverbend)

Seth1968
05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow, Mensa is getting desperate. They're like Guiness's, "Most burps in one minute".

The kid is doing nothing that most toddlers can't be taught. Besides, most of that is just repetition. In other words, the "shitting his pants" comment is golden.

Besides, IQ is only one small aspect of intelligence, and a rather meaningless one at that.

HiTempguy1
05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

burned out in his early 40s

My point exactly. If the individual stays engaged but not too pressured to succeed, will probably be ok. It's not like the kid is going to come out of high school flipping burgers for the rest of his life.

CanmoreOrLess
05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Your confusion only makes my point stronger.

Graham_A_M
05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
explained Anthony's mother Laura, who holds four degrees, including a master of economics.

I wonder if someday she'll get one of those crazy things that everybody else has; called a job. :rolleyes:

I sure as hell dont envy her asinine pile of student debt. I think there is a little more to life then a bunch of letters behind your name.

For this Kid, good for the things he was taught; and his ability to retain them. Personally I've met quite a few incredibly intelligent people, some of which have such non-existent people skills you cant even hold a conversation with some of them. With others asides from knowing the results of their IQ tests, you'd have no idea these were a hair more intelligent then average. So IQ tests really dont mean much to me.
One thing I'd like to see a LOT more then a high IQ is a persons ability to properly implement & utilize the intelligence they do have. Unfortunately that is something much harder to measure then any standardized IQ test.

toastgremlin
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
In February, Laura took him to London, England, to have his IQ tested.

Anthony met with British psychologist Joan Freeman, known for her research on gifted people.

"Naming alone is a first step in learning, being able to describe the function and selection of items are more advanced skills, which Anthony did well above his age level," Freeman wrote in her report. I bet this kid can detect confirmation bias even if his mom can't.

Good for him, though. I hope he continues to be smarter than average and then do whatever he wants in life.

JRSC00LUDE
05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't know that races were suppose to be in a competition with each other.

Ummmm.....obviously your non-asian education did not teach you properly. Here, let me help:

race    /reɪs/ Show Spelled [reys] Show IPA noun, verb, raced, rac·ing.
noun
1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.
2. races, a series of races, usually of horses or dogs, run at a set time over a regular course: They spent a day at the races.
3. any contest or competition, especially to achieve superiority: the arms race; the presidential race.
4. urgent need, responsibility, effort, etc., as when time is short or a solution is imperative: the race to find an effective vaccine.
5. onward movement; an onward or regular course.

Also, because race card! :nut:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/racecard.jpg

R-Audi
05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

I would disagree. Almost certainly the kid will get HUGE scholarships out of high school due to incredible marks (if the kid doesn't become a burnout, lose interest, etc etc).

I'm speaking from personal experience. I was a member for a year and didnt renew my actual membership because I really didnt see the point.. mind you it was during Highschool and could be different now... Im certainly not going to get hired somewhere special because its on my resume though.

Just because you have the ability doesnt mean you have the dedication. Also IQ doesnt neccessarily lend it self to regurgitating book facts.. it can also be a way of thinking/problem solving.

Seth1968
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

I'm speaking from personal experience. I was a member for a year and didnt renew my actual membership because I really didnt see the point.. mind you it was during Highschool and could be different now... Im certainly not going to get hired somewhere special because its on my resume though.

If I was an employer and saw "Mensa member" on a resume, I'd immediately think, "arrogant with a superiority complex", and throw it out.

Graham_A_M
05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
^ word. Probably lack proper inter-personal skills as well to top that off.
I had an uncle in that organization, just a gathering of pipe smoking supposed "intellectuals" that dont do anything of significance. I had a pretty good laugh at the things they talk about in their groups.

R-Audi
05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I had an uncle in that organization, just a gathering of pipe smoking supposed "intellectuals" that dont do anything of significance. I had a pretty good laugh at the things they talk about in their groups.

Exactly why I said it really doesnt do anything for you....and why I didnt bother renewing.

Ebon
05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Odds are this kid is looking at a hard life. That kind of intelligence is pretty isolating.

FixedGear
05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

totally this. Mensa is an organization for people who score high on IQ tests, but haven't "done anything" and thus join the organization to feel good about themselves. Meanwhile, all the other people who also score high on IQ tests but who actually "do something" could care less about Mense. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chester
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/641/0a6/656/resized/high-expectations-asian-father-meme-generator-blood-type-b-why-not-a-65e2d6.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Fawk, the better part of my week has been spent looking at meme's. Too funny.

BananaFob
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

Highest IQ in America and is a burnout loser...

R-Audi
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

totally this. Mensa is an organization for people who score high on IQ tests, but haven't "done anything" and thus join the organization to feel good about themselves. Meanwhile, all the other people who also score high on IQ tests but who actually "do something" could care less about Mense. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Or......
I'll give myself as an example... I had my IQ tested as part of an ADD type test.. not for the sole purpose of getting my IQ score. The psychologist suggested joining after getting my scores back. At that point I didnt know much about Mensa, and but figured what the hell.

LollerBrader
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

How facile.

But he grew up in poverty and says he was beaten by his stepfather from when he was almost six to when he was about fourteen.[6] By then Langan had begun weight training, and forcibly ended the abuse, throwing his stepfather out of the house and telling him never to return.

Langan says he spent the last years of high school mostly in independent study, teaching himself "advanced math, physics, philosophy, Latin and Greek, all that"

LollerBrader
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Spoken like an outsider.

There's any # of life circumstances that can result in your IQ tested. Typically, a mensa-level IQ will stand out at an early age and a child be recommended for testing. Testers will often suggest mensa to those that qualify - In many cases it may be what the person needs.

I've had my IQ tested half a dozen times, and only one of those did I pro-actively seek it out.

It's not like you turn 20 and just decide you're going to join Mensa as a status symbol. If you're of Mensa-level IQ, you and those around you already know what you are. You don't need the badge - No more than someone who's 6'4" needs to join a "big and tall" club to proclaim their height.

Oddly, however, I work with a guy who is clearly mensa-class, but claims to never have been tested. Don't know how that got missed, but perhaps his small-town origins have something to do with it.

In the late 80s/early 90s, Catherine Ford used to hold regular mensa gatherings at her house in Mount Royal. She was sort of the matriarch of the community back then.

The attendees were a mixed bag: Shy, ostentatious, Overachievers, underachieves, don't give-a-shitters, professionals, dilettantes, etc.

HiTempguy1
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

How facile.

Usually I'm not even close to being on LollerBrader's side, but yea, what a retarded comment. Sounds like he's lived a fulfilling life if anything...

Point being, the kid (if he does well in high school) WILL have the opportunities available to go places. Whether he takes them is a completely different story. Being smart doesn't absolve you of being human like everyone else.

BananaFob
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Usually I'm not even close to being on LollerBrader's side, but yea, what a retarded comment. Sounds like he's lived a fulfilling life if anything...

Point being, the kid (if he does well in high school) WILL have the opportunities available to go places. Whether he takes them is a completely different story. Being smart doesn't absolve you of being human like everyone else.

I was referring to the point that at age 40, which is when he started garnering media attention, he was working as a bouncer. The point was high IQ =/ success.

Obviously there are many outside reasons as to how successful you are in your career/life such as joining the lucky sperm club.

LollerBrader
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM

The point was high IQ =/ success.

If someone actually made this point, they're stupid.

You're stupid for taking it seriously enough to argue against.

If not one actually made this point, yet you're still arguing against it......

:confused:

BananaFob
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

If someone actually made this point, they're stupid.

You're stupid for taking it seriously enough to argue against.

If not one actually made this point, yet you're still arguing against it......

I don't get your post. Funny enough, I'm also in the top 2 percentile for IQ. :cry:

b_t
05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
Odds are this kid is looking at a hard life. That kind of intelligence is pretty isolating.
it definitely is. my solution was to spend a lot of time pretending to be dumb. would constantly ask questions I already knew the answers to, acted surprised at the answers. would let people rattle off total bullshit and act like I bought it instead of just poking holes in their story. I didn't just not try at school.. in some cases I would actively sabotage my own grades. hard habit to break tho.

have you read his theories? he is extremely smart and his ideas about the universe are all-encompassing - and very elegant, which is the mark of a really smart, thoughtfully developed idea.

frizzlefry
05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
My experiences in interviewing job applicants in the tech sector...The smartest people are often told they are smart. They grow up smart. They grow up being told "you so much smarter than dumb lazy sister" and then they get into the workforce...they feel entitled. They are arrogant. Troubleshooting skills lack because without a book to study they are useless. So much focus was placed on academia which is a kind knowledge that won't help you get a job. OR they really are brilliant. And get bored and quit. Either way, employer loses. Most rich and successful people are not members of Mensa. That says something.

I busted my butt to get my high school paper that said I was smart. It was an “academic diploma” too, but at the time math could be substituted with drama and art :) I failed math. I was not smart enough to go to university. Grades not competitive enough. But I make 6 figures at 34 without any school debt.

I will say that while “smart” means nothing in terms of employment, stupid sure does. Man, dumb people make horrible employees :)

Mar
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Not quite, scoring high on an intelligence quotient test is only one way of being accepted. Going to one of their regular testing sessions is another and if you happen to fail one of these tests you don't get a second chance. Your chance at acceptance is gone.

FixedGear
05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
^^thanks for the clarification, but you missed my point.

clem24
05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I was referring to the point that at age 40, which is when he started garnering media attention, he was working as a bouncer. The point was high IQ =/ success.

What's success? Having a super high paying job while working 80 hours a week and barely seeing your family so you can accumulate billions in the bank by the time your 80? Or living a great life and doing what you want to do while enjoying the ride? According to the wiki, he bought a ranch. That sounds like a successful life if you ask me.

BTW to all those people who think you can just teach these things to a really young child.. I am going to assume you have no kids. This is infant is a special case, no doubt about it. But my concern is, it sets up such high expectations for him because he's so young, that in the end, I have a feeling that I agree with everyone else here - everyone is going to push them that he'll burn out.

1barA4
05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

actually, the only mensa member and toastmaster I know does exactly that... burned out in his early 40s, landscapes now - drinks beers and rides his Harley everywhere.... and yes, he's in a trailer park (riverbend)

My high school english teacher was in Mensa. Definitely not a guarantor of success....nor social skills or the ability to not stare down underage girls' shirts.

Cos
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM

arian_ma
05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Fuck not only is beyond full of millionaires we are also the local chapter for Mensa. :rolleyes:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
God damn thanks for finally saying it.

Haters gon' hate.

To whoever said the are in the top 2% of IQ... :rofl: where'd you get tested? www.iq.com?

Sugarphreak
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM

BananaFob
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
God damn thanks for finally saying it.

Haters gon' hate.

To whoever said the are in the top 2% of IQ... :rofl: where'd you get tested? www.iq.com?

Lol. Once in grade 4, again in grade 7 and as part of a full psych profile to get a management consulting position once I graduated university. I tested within 5 points in all 3 tests. Good enough for you?

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
what you really have is a group of people who "think" they are better than everybody else.

Is that what Mensa is about, or is that what you think Mensa is about?

Sugarphreak
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM

JRSC00LUDE
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Lol. Once in grade 4, again in grade 7 and as part of a full psych profile to get a management consulting position once I graduated university. I tested within 5 points in all 3 tests. Good enough for you?

And yet not smart enough to avoid getting baited.....

BananaFob
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

And yet not smart enough to avoid getting baited.....

Nope, definitely not. If you see my previous posts I'm agreeing with the general idea that IQ does not guarantee success, overall intelligence or the perceived "smartness" of an individual. Most of my friends would consider me a complete dumbass.

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Funnily enough, I've scored EXACTLY the same percentile across different tests at different times from childhood to adulthood. The consistency is unexpected.

Don't think I ever want to take another test. Age has slowed me down, and I'd expect to see some variation in the wrong direction.

sputnik
05-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Chris Langan's story is actually pretty sad.

-ak5Lr3qkW0
YD3sVYZgkRA
QA0gjyXG5O0

sputnik
05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Another high IQ weirdo is Rick Rosner.

Fought "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" for a while after bailing on a question that he deemed unfair.

Also went to high school into his 30s trying to be cool.

ndW5uiwexL8
v8g0JnjvQQI
CcGwn3Ldq80
RqTfqT9-2e0
-jcqvGX8OkU
bS694q7D1lE

SOAB
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
The kid is doing nothing that most toddlers can't be taught. Besides, most of that is just repetition. In other words, the "shitting his pants" comment is golden.

anyone that ACTUALLY believes this is in for a rude awakening when they realize that their 2 year old is a complete fucken moron compared to this kid.

99.99999999999% are NOT this smart.

arian_ma
05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
edit.

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

Absolutely. My own daughter would always stand out head and shoulders around the other kids. At age 2, she was talking and carrying herself like a 5 year old. She would engage people on the bus in conversation. They would almost jump out of their seats when she spoke. The effect was enhanced by her small size for her age.

She didn't nap or sleep like a normal toddler. Needed constant stimulation. Wife had to read books to keep up and almost lost her mind.

We had regular appointments with various specialists - because we were desperate to understand what was going on.

And she was only half as smart as the Romanian kid.

At age 3, she told me she didn't believe in the Easter bunny "Because it just doesn't make sense" (Her words).

At age 4, she would get mad if I didn't read her bedtime stories in Latin, her third language. We never pushed her, and to the contrary, keeping up with her intellectual demands was exhausting.

Since then, we've managed to neutralize her with a combination of barbie dolls, television, and candy. Thank god. And she is a normal and bright child - but nothing more.

It's easy to be proud of such a child, but there's a huge downside. I do not wish it on anyone, and am glad I no longer experience it myself.

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
- botched edit deleted -

HyperZell
05-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Absolutely. My own daughter would always stand out head and shoulders around the other kids. At age 2, she was talking and carrying herself like a 5 year old. She would engage people on the bus in conversation. They would almost jump out of their seats when she spoke. The effect was enhanced by her small size for her age.

She didn't nap or sleep like a normal toddler. Needed constant stimulation. Wife had to read books to keep up and almost lost her mind.

We had regular appointments with various specialists - because we were desperate to understand what was going on.

And she was only half as smart as the Romanian kid.

At age 3, she told me she didn't believe in the Easter bunny "Because it just doesn't make sense" (Her words).

At age 4, she would get mad if I didn't read her bedtime stories in Latin, her third language. We never pushed her, and to the contrary, keeping up with her intellectual demands was exhausting.

Since then, we've managed to neutralize her with a combination of barbie dolls, television, and candy. Thank god. And she is a normal and bright child - but nothing more.

It's easy to be proud of such a child, but there's a huge downside. I do not wish it on anyone, and am glad I no longer experience it myself.

Am I...am I reading this wrong? Or are you seriously complaining about how you had to be an active parent and nurture your child intellectually? And that now you're happy that you managed to replace that stimulation with toys and shiny things? Are you fucking kidding me?

CompletelyNumb
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
When your child is becoming more intellectual than yourself at a young age, I would imagine it to be an exhausting task. :dunno:

clem24
05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
When your child is becoming more intellectual than yourself at a young age, I would imagine it to be an exhausting task. :dunno:

Bingo. My boy is 4 and he's average. But he talks non-stop and asks questions about everything every minute of every day. If he were to start asking me intellectually stimulating questions all day long, I'd seriously go insane (not that I don't already). Consider this: that kid is so smart they're probably bored out of their mind. And don't forget.. They're a toddler and even if they're smart, they still have regular toddler problems LOL.

I can totally relate. Not sure how I'd handle it though. Would probably endure it and nurture but who knows.

J-hop
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

anyone that ACTUALLY believes this is in for a rude awakening when they realize that their 2 year old is a complete fucken moron compared to this kid.

And then they also realize they are in their mid 20s and they can barely speak one language.

The repitition argument isn't really valid unless you have an excellent understanding of how the brain functions and how to differentiate between understanding and just pure going through the motions, highly doubt anyone on here has the knowledge/experience to make those calls.

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Am I...am I reading this wrong? Or are you seriously complaining about how you had to be an active parent and nurture your child intellectually?

Yes, you are reading it wrong. We're not talking about normal care and feeding, We're talking about something hyperdevelopmental.

I tried to explain it to people as if I was a down syndrome parent trying to raise a normal child - The gap was that big.... and I'm a fairly intelligent and high energy person... who struggled to keep up to a little girl that was larger than life.

Like seriously, how many kids demand, in their second language, that you read them bedtime stories in their third language? Could you really see yourself keeping up with that for months on end without blowing your brains out?

On a day to day sense, it was fun... and you're proud of the precociousness... but in a larger sense, it was just exhausting. The girl never had an "off" switch. It was some combination of hyperactivity and a strong need for stimulation... and you know, parents eventually run dry.

In retrospect, I don't know how many years we could have sustained that without going off the rails as a family.

And then, eventually, things just stabilized. She just wanted to be a a little girl. She is still a little girl now. She just sort of calmed down. Would rather play barbies than read books. She's actually pretty normal. Still bright, but not blinding.

And she's as much a delight as she's always been.

It's weird to even think about it now.

LollerBrader
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
- Failed edit deleted -

Mibz
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I joined Mensa because I thought I'd be able to schmooze with some high-ups and truly smart people. Learn something, do some networking, etc.

Nope. It's full of pseudo-intellectuals, a lot of them unemployed, who seem to spend their time arguing for the sake of arguing and trying to sound smarter than they are. A lot of people who have the answer to everything if only the government would listen. Also a lot of people with ideas that will make them rich but they can't tell you. It's a secret!

I didn't renew and won't join again. I wouldn't dare put it on my resume either, just because of the reasons already mentioned. There's a stigma attached to it and I didn't want my resume thrown out based on that.

lilmira
05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

Nope. It's full of pseudo-intellectuals, a lot of them unemployed, who seem to spend their time arguing for the sake of arguing and trying to sound smarter than they are. A lot of people who have the answer to everything if only the government would listen. Also a lot of people with ideas that will make them rich but they can't tell you. It's a secret!

Hmmm, that sounds so familiar.:rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I joined Mensa because I thought I'd be able to schmooze with some high-ups and truly smart people. Learn something, do some networking, etc.

Its interesting, I've found some absolutely brilliant people just by networking normally through friends and whatnot.

Some of the smartest, most well read and generally most progressive thinkers you can meet, can by done so by just meeting people reguarlily.
I'd be quite interested to see/find other organizations that attract such people; but I've never really seen any as of yet. Generally some entrepreneurial business networks have been good for that in my experience at least; by that I mean better odds then outside of such an organization.

Mibz
05-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Its interesting, I've found some absolutely brilliant people just by networking normally through friends and whatnot.

Some of the smartest, most well read and generally most progressive thinkers you can meet, can by done so by just meeting people reguarlily.
I'd be quite interested to see/find other organizations that attract such people; but I've never really seen any as of yet. Generally some entrepreneurial business networks have been good for that in my experience at least; by that I mean better odds then outside of such an organization. Yup. Standard industry events have been the best thing for my career contacts, but for really great people I've found, so far, the best thing is to simply hang around other great people and meet their friends and colleagues.

mucat
05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Forrest Gump, what a smart guy. Too bad his son was smarter.