PDA

View Full Version : Summer Car

dibbz
05-01-2012, 04:22 PM
So I'm sure a few of you out there have a summer car of sorts. I've been looking into something similar. An old Porsche if I can swing it. Unfortunately, I don't have a second parking space and am generally clueless as to the challenges of owning and caring for a second car that essentially gets used 4 months out of the year (specifically a older model Porsche). Anyone have any pointers or advice about going this route. Also what to look for in an older Porsche (a late 80s, early 90s..I think that falls into 964 territory)

soloracer
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I just helped a friend buy a 964 C4. The model has some known issues - such as a no head gasket - but for the most part are fairly reliable. Chances are by now the big ticket items have been done. Just make sure you have a proper PPI done. Expect to pay in the low $20,000 range for one in decent condition.

BananaFob
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
http://becauseracecar.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/944-CAR-650x487.jpg

leftwing
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Some things to think about...

I dont know about you, but I like my summer car to be clean, always. If you have to park outdoors, your car will be dirty almost always, and it is frustrating knowing if you wash it, it could rain the next day and ruin the wash you did.

Another thing is vandalism, depending on neighbourhood and whatnot, vandalism concerns could be greater or lesser. But still with a nice car, vandalism is a concern in any neighbourhood (parking outside).

Storage during winter months can be an additional cost

With buying an older car, you will most likely encounter maintenance problems. Are you able to personally fix routine maintenance issues? Do you have time and money for this? I don't have any knowledge of porsches, but the above posts indicate they maybe be "always broken"

Maxt
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
http://becauseracecar.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/944-CAR-650x487.jpg
Slagging the P car brand on Beyond is strictly verboten... But you had first hand experience of getting to know your local tow truck operator , so because its you its probably ok.

Edit: you should be pumping your FD reliability upgrade to the OP right about now.

rx7_turbo2
05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
My experience with buying a P.Car? More so than your average used cars there are NO bargains with used Porsche's. The market is too strong, buyers and sellers are very knowledgeable. If someone is asking below what would be considered market value there is a reason.

Having said that there are lots of fun P.Cars available at a reasonable price. The Boxster gets a bad rap as a chick car but if you've driven one especially an "S" you know they're super fun cars to drive and can be had at a really reasonable price. Even the early 996's can be had for a great price if you're willing to hunt south of the border.