PDA

View Full Version : Economics or Finance

ghomie
05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Hey Everyone! I was hoping to get some advice from the business and economics students out there at UofC.

Currently, I am in the BComm/BA stream in Finance and Economics. Now, I am debating as to whether or not I should continue this double degree, and simply just focus on the finance aspect. I mostly want to go into the area of Corporate Finance and eventually brokering or analyst and go onto getting a CFA or MBA, so I was doing the Economics just as a supplement to the BComm degree.

What is the benefit of staying in the combined stream. I have already completed ECON 357 & ECON 359, and I hated both of these classes. Is it still worth it to stay in the dual program, or with my career aspirations, just focus on the finance aspect?

I appreciate your input everyone! :D

ghomie
05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Also, are senior Economics courses much like ECON 357 and ECON 359? I was thinking of taking ECON 471, 477, 537 and 405.

J-D
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure about Finance, but in my B.Comm stream you can only have credit from one Econ course other than 201/203.

ghomie
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by J-D
I'm not sure about Finance, but in my B.Comm stream you can only have credit from one Econ course other than 201/203.

At this point, If I just stick with finance, only 2 econ classes i've taken so far won't count towards it. But if I want to take the double degree still, i would have to take 9 more econs.

flipstah
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
If you hate 357/359, no point in doing the Econ degree.

Those are the fundamentals.

e36bmw///
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
nm

borN
05-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I was on the same path where I had to choose between going forward with the combined ECON degree or just a finance degree. In the Corporate Finance world, it doesn't really matter - it's not of huge benefit to you unless you need it to boost your grades, or have another year in school where you can pursue ICBC/JDC West/GIRC/Rotman/CPMT.

I personally dropped off the ECON path, took an extra year in school to go through a case competition (best career decision in my university tenure), and pursued the Finance and hopefully CFA route.

Skyline_Addict
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I would just focus on your Finance degree, if you're getting a CFA in the future.

flipstah
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by borN
I personally dropped off the ECON path, took an extra year in school to go through a case competition (best career decision in my university tenure), and pursued the Finance and hopefully CFA route.

I heard this was so much fun! :cry:

borN
05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I heard this was so much fun! :cry:

Half of the extra year was because I went on exchange to Europe, other half was the case competition. Was amazing...and really got me a foot in the door in the capital markets.

Ebon
05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
If you want to work in finance, do finance; the econ degree adds nothing. That simple.

Plus the fact that if you go econ only, you lose the business job board, which frankly kicks the crap out of the general uofc one.

ghomie
05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by borN
took an extra year in school to go through a case competition (best career decision in my university tenure), and pursued the Finance and hopefully CFA route.

This sounds really interesting. Where would I find information on this?

I really appreciate all your help everyone!

borN
05-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Recruiting for extra-curricular finance options are in September, so you should probably be receiving emails about them around that time.

As for what I did, it was this: http://researchchallenge.org/Pages/Default.aspx

It's definitely a rising finance program at Haskayne - look into it when the fall semester begins. I was lucky enough to stumble upon it when I was going through my final year.

flipstah
05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
If you have the chance, do it. If I heard about it before, I would've.

There are some fine bitches in Haskayne. :poosie:

e36bmw///
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
nm

borN
05-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///

How did you only do half of the year for CFA IRC?
Written part is due in ~december/jan IIRC and oral presentation is in ~march/april

Sorry - should elaborate a bit. I opted to go on exchange in my 4th year (3 course credit) which delayed my graduation by a semester. Following that, I joined the CFA IRC in the Fall semester which, as you stated, is completed in March/April and it led me to delay my graduation by another semester. It was the most logical move due to the time commitment of the competition, and it also let me spread out 7 courses over a full year instead of a summer/6 course fall (as well as graduating with most of my friends).

Btw OP - if you're planning on trying out for the extra curricular finance programs, maybe look into writing your CSC in the summer. It's a pretty easy course (2 exams, took me a month total) and although it's not needed, it's something positive that can help enhance your resume. Downside is it's a ~$1,000 to take...pretty overpriced.

xolemonteaox
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I would recommend to drop Econ as well if you're planning to get into the Finance field (ie. Broker).

Since you're in finance already, the CSC will be a breeze. Although, when I worked at TD Waterhouse, I knew one person that failed the first exam 3 times and then got fired. There were a few people that PASSED their first and second exam on their third tries (none of them graduated with Finance though, all Marketing and Economics).

It is quite pricey for just 2 exams and a couple of textbooks. And I believe it's ~$150 to re-take the exams if you fail?

I know that TD Waterhouse use to reimburse their new hire sales assistances if they obtained their CSC 6 months to 1 year prior to being hired since it is a job requirement, not sure if that's the case anymore. However, if you get hired as a sales assistant without CSC, the branch will pay for the course, but you'll have to pay for the exam re-takes if needed.