PDA

View Full Version : oh beyond ballers...

AndyL
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
:drool: Neil Armstrong's vette...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251051174912+&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1101

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE CORVETTE "BARN FIND". THIS CORVETTE WAS DELIVERED TO MR. NEIL ARMSTRONG THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON, ON DECEMBER 15, 1966 FROM JIM RATHMAN CHEVROLET IN MELBOURNE FLORIDA UNDER A PROGRAM INITIATED BY MR. RATHMAN TO PROVIDE OUR ASTRONAUTS WITH A CORVETTE. THEY WOULD KEEP THE CORVETTE FOR A YEAR AND THEN TURN IT IN AND GET A NEW ONE. THIS CORVETTE WAS BOUGHT BY A NASA EMPLOYEE WHEN MR. ARMSTRONG TURNED IT IN AND WAS RETAINED BY THE OWNER UNTIL I PURCHASED THE CORVETTE FROM HIM IN FEBRUARY OF 2012. THE CORVETTE HAD BEEN IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND NOT DRIVEN SINCE SEPT OF 1981. I HAD TRIED TO BUY THE CORVETTE FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS WITH NO LUCK UNTIL A PHONE CALL LED TO THE PURCHASE RECENTLY. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PICTURES THE CAR HAS 30+ YEARS OF DUST AND HAS HAD FENDER FLARES CRUDELY ADDED BY THE OWNER DURING IT'S TIME IN STORAGE. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE CAR SINCE I PURCHASED IT IS TO GET THE MOTOR RUNNING WHERE IT CAN BE MOVED ABOUT THE GARAGE. I HAVE PURCHASED N.O.S. FENDERS TO REPLACE THE ORIGINALS THAT WERE CUT FOR THE FLARES. THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE NOT ORIGINAL ON THE CORVETTE ARE THE WHEELS, WATER PUMP, CARB AND MUFFLERS. I HAVE A N.O.S. CORRECT DATE WATER PUMP AND HAVE LOCATED A CORRECT DATE CARB IN TEXAS. I HAVE ALSO OBTAINED A COMPLETE SET OF ORIGINAL G.M. WHEELS. MY INITIAL PLAN WAS TO RESTORE THE CAR ONLY TO THE POINT OF "SURVIVOR CLASSIFICATION" FROM NCRS, BUT TOO MANY THINGS GOING AT THIS TIME AND THIS CORVETTE IS A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY AND BELONGS IN A MUSEUM OR PRIVATE COLLECTION. THE TANK STICKER IS COMPLETE AND STILL ATTACHED TO THE GAS TANK AND MUCH OF IT CAN BE READ THROUGH THE DUST, I MADE NO ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT. THE CORVETTE HAS THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: 427 C.I. 390 H.P-- A.C.--TINTED GLASS--ELECTRIC WINDOWS-- 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION--RADIO--FACTORY TRANSISTOR IGNITION--THE SPARE TIRE HAD NEVER BEEN REMOVED FROM THE CARRIER AS THE PICTURES SHOW. THERE IS A HIGH RESERVE ON THE CAR DUE TO IT'S HISTORY WHICH IS DOCUMENTED WITH THE ORIGINAL G.M. PROTECT-O-PLATE WITH MR. ARMSTRONG'S INFORMATION. THE MILEAGE CAN NOT BE VERIFIED DUE TO THE SPEEDOMETER CABLE BREAKING SOMETIME DURING THE LATE 1970'S

Kloubek
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
That's a whole lot of money for a piece of shit with history...

Shlade
05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
That's a whole lot of money for a piece of shit with history...

Agreed.

AndyL
05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Given an apollo 11 flight manual sold for 152,000$, 186k for his corvette, doesn't seem so bad

:D

Sure a lot more fun than a binder that'll sit on a shelf... :)

btimbit
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Meh, pass. Once you get past the history, it's a junk heap imo

sputnik
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I never understood the significance of a car owned by someone famous.

Unless they were a car guy and actually had done something unique with the car, I really don't see the point.

At the end of the day it is just a run of the mill factory muscle car (in poor shape) that had some famous guys ass in the seat for a few years.

vengie
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
The car didn't fly on apollo 11... Who gives a shit about a barn yard corvette.

J-hop
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I never understood the significance of a car owned by someone famous.

Unless they were a car guy and actually had done something unique with the car, I really don't see the point.

At the end of the day it is just a run of the mill factory muscle car (in poor shape) that had some famous guys ass in the seat for a few years.

agreed, I'd actually much rather spend 200k on the flight manual than the car haha!

at least if you want something owned by a famous person, bid on something that had some sentimental value to the person, its pretty apparent this vehicle had no value to Mr. Armstrong....

Sugarphreak
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM

lilmira
05-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Not worth the money. It's in bad shape and it has nothing to do with the space program. Might as well buy John Voight's Le Baron.

Type_S1
05-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Some people are beyond retarded....what a POS

KRyn
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Riiiighhhhtttt..... That thing is in rough ass shape.

flipstah
05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Not worth the money. It's in bad shape and it has nothing to do with the space program. Might as well buy John Voight's Le Baron.

:rofl: I approve.

Swank
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Might as well buy John Voight's Le Baron. :rofl: