PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a humidifier for forced air HVAC

autosm
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
We need to upgrade to a better system.

Anyone have a unit that they can recomend ?

codetrap
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Desert spring

autosm
05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I had one, tossed it after it stopped working. Unless they are better now? Reviews on the web say they are still poor.

eblend
05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I got some system installed in my place a few month back, its a flow through type so isn't the most water efficient, but I haven't noticed any difference in my water usage really, and unlike the drum humidifier we had before, this one actually works. My wife and I are very happy with it. We get about 39% humidity with it, which is perfect for us.

If you are intereted in the brand I can give you the details, but it looks very pro compared to the cheap drum one we had. I am in Kyrgyzstan until Monday so won't be able to get you the info until then.

codetrap
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by autosm
I had one, tossed it after it stopped working. Unless they are better now? Reviews on the web say they are still poor.

Why did you toss it? They have a mother long warranty. The motor went on mine after 2 years and they replaced it for free. Since I put in a water softener, I have only had to clean it annually. And what reviews? Every negative review I read sounds like whomever installed it didn't do it right, because I saw an immediate increase in humidity in our house.

I did go through a second motor as well, and I ordered it off the website for something like $15.. far cheaper than buying a new one.

autosm
05-04-2012, 07:46 PM
It was at least 6 years ago that I replaced it with one from Home depot.

Hmm I will have another look at the desert spring.

Let me know on the flow through one.

eblend
05-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Did some searching online as I remembered the name, and found it.

This is the one i have, except mine is reversed, with the intake on the other size. You assemble it and its symetrical, so i think it doesn't matter which way it goes, as the top and bottom plates just referse, and the name tag is just a flexible cover whihc you can remove to look at the condition of the plate in the back

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/products/large/generalairehumidifier1042lh.jpg
http://www.homeperfect.com/brands/general-aire/general-aire-5144-1042-legacy-bypass-flow-through-lh-humidifier.html

bignerd
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
eblend do you remember how much yours cost?

I would love a humidifier...we just have the crappy one that came with the furnace and it leaks all the time... guess we would need a water softener too.

eblend
05-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
eblend do you remember how much yours cost?

I would love a humidifier...we just have the crappy one that came with the furnace and it leaks all the time... guess we would need a water softener too.

Paid $400 installed, however the install is super easy to do yourself, I just said fuck it and paid to have it done when they were cleaning my vents. Sometimes it is easier to just pay someone to do it instead of using my own time.

I think you can find the humidifier online for like $200ish and install it yourself in 30 min. Main reason I wanted it installed was cuz I had some strange electrical issue....but the company just removed the old and connected the new, without looking into my wireing. eventually figured it all out myself and got it working. to be fair, I did ask them to install it with only 15 min left on their appointment for cleaning and they had another customer waiting, made them at least 1 hour late for next appointment.

Maxt
05-05-2012, 06:31 AM
I am not a big residential guy, but sometimes I get called in by others to do commercial installs in residential applications.. The problem with a lot of new homes is the run time of the furnaces isn't enough with a flow through humidifier to produce enough humidity.
I like to use the Nortec and for lesser budgets, the general steam humidifiers, you can really pound the humidity in, with short run times without the fans running all the time.

codetrap
05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
I am not a big residential guy, but sometimes I get called in by others to do commercial installs in residential applications.. The problem with a lot of new homes is the run time of the furnaces isn't enough with a flow through humidifier to produce enough humidity.
I like to use the Nortec and for lesser budgets, the general steam humidifiers, you can really pound the humidity in, with short run times without the fans running all the time.

I haven't noticed this problem with my desert spring. In fact, lately I've had to close off the venting to it. Humidity in the house is 60%... might be the wet outside right now though..

The DS is a flow through as well, and works especially well if you get the autoflusher. I didn't have a water softener on mine for the first 3 years I had it, and had to clean it every other month or so for the calcium buildup in the bottom. The plates naturally shed the condensate, and the drain valve removes 90% of it when it drains. I didn't notice any hit on the water bill at all. The good side is I haven't had ANY sinus infections or issues since we installed it and I used to get them all the time.

DS was specifically designed for Calgary.

http://www.purahome.com/store/air/p-112-Desert-Spring-Humidifier-System

Maxt
05-05-2012, 07:47 PM
The last year has been overly humid for this area, we pretty much engineer everything here based on it being drier than a popcorn fart, as that's how its been historically.

autosm
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Ok for those that are suffering from a lack of humidity.

I went with this unit.

Pretty easy install, cost me about 600$ total.

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/products/humidification/truesteam/truesteam_feature.html

The_Rural_Juror
10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Did some searching online as I remembered the name, and found it.

This is the one i have, except mine is reversed, with the intake on the other size. You assemble it and its symetrical, so i think it doesn't matter which way it goes, as the top and bottom plates just referse, and the name tag is just a flexible cover whihc you can remove to look at the condition of the plate in the back

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/products/large/generalairehumidifier1042lh.jpg
http://www.homeperfect.com/brands/general-aire/general-aire-5144-1042-legacy-bypass-flow-through-lh-humidifier.html

I have this same one. Must be just me, but even at "low" setting in the winter, my bedroom windows are dripping wet in the morning. Is that normal?

eblend
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

I have this same one. Must be just me, but even at "low" setting in the winter, my bedroom windows are dripping wet in the morning. Is that normal?

Doesn't sound normal, but I don't know, I use a fancy thermostat to control mine which has prevention for that specific situation and controls humidity to avoid window frost

The_Rural_Juror
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
It's a new house too. Although at low, it's not as wet as when it's set to "comfort range".

I think it's the air tightness of the master bedroom, as it is not nearly as bad in any of the other rooms. Hope someone has a solution.

lilmira
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Either that or you have a lot of bedroom activities if you know what I mean lol.