PDA

View Full Version : Vent fan for humid garage

bspot
05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
The inside of my garage is vinyl siding, so it's a great moisture trap in the winter, and it rusts a lot of my stuff.

I was looking at this: www.wizzvent.com

I think I should be able to rig up my own for a bit cheaper.

Home Depot has this in the US, but not in Canada. Any idea where I can get something similar that I could rig to a humidistat?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhi/R-100047556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

eblend
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Interesting stuff, keep us posted. I need to do something with my garage as well. Mine is fully drywalled, but it gets super humid in there when snow falls off the cars...feels like my cars are stuck in a rust hole

Tik-Tok
05-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Ecco will have what you need. No idea on price though.

AndyL
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Garden stores, hydroponics shops, and yeah even hd /rona/lowes often have them (turn on the fan in the bathroom when shower is on)

masoncgy
05-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Why do you have vinyl siding inside the garage? Tear that stuff off.

You're right on the fan with a humidistat switch though, that's the best route to go. Mount the fan on an exterior wall with a clear exhaust access on the outside and put a wall cap on it, then wire the switch up.

Moist garages are a great place for mold to form, nevermind rusting tools/etc, that's what you really want to avoid.