PDA

View Full Version : 2007 VW City Golf - Hatch Lock Problem

kanaduh
05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey guys,

I own a 2007 VW City Golf, which means no power options.

No power locks, windows, gas/hatch unlock, nothing.

So without power, I have to unlock my hatch via key; there is no emergency draw string to unlock/open it like there is in a car trunk.

Currently, I need to fight with the lock to get my key in, and once I do get it in, it won't turn. I'm afraid of forcing it, in case I snap the key.

I took it to VW and they told me the lock has corroded and gave me an estimate of $740.00 to fix it.

They said the part was $400+, and then a couple hours of labor.

My question to you is, where do I look to find a cheaper replacement lock? Is it an easy fix?

Thanks guys.

SOAB
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
do you want to continue using one key for the whole car? or is having a seperate key just for the trunk a viable option for you?

if you want to keep just 1 key, than there is no other choice but the dealer.

for option 2, you'd have to find one from a wrecker and hope that they have a key for it.

FiveFreshFish
05-04-2012, 05:29 PM
That's pretty severe corrosion for a car about 5 years old. Try a graphite lock lubricant. A can costs about $10 so it's worth a try.

Your main key may also be worn. Try the other key to see if it works any better.

MrSector9
05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Heads Lock and Key, have them look at it for you, they can fix it :)

they are the BEST

kanaduh
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely try a can of that lubricant and my second key. If that doesn't work I'll call Heads, hopefully they don't quote me $740... :(