PDA

View Full Version : Where can I recycle used coolant and oil

variable_x
05-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I live in Sherwood. Where is the closest place that I can take my used coolant and oil? Does CT still take them?

Thanks!!

Modelexis
05-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Canadian tire, park near the garage and walk in with your container, ask one of the workers where you can pour it.

nissanK
05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Some (if not all) fire stations also allow you to drop off chemicals for proper disposal.

M.alex
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
The sewer

gretz
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
The sewer

You don't put enough KMs on your cars to warrant an oil change...

Mibz
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Do fluids have to be separate or can I dump oil, coolant, brake fluid and urine into the same container?

Modelexis
05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Same container is fine, no one is going to do a chemistry test of the liquid to verify its composition.

silvercivicsir
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Free to drop off at the Spy hill landfill (it's pretty close to sherwood)

clem24
05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Free to drop off at the Spy hill landfill (it's pretty close to sherwood)

+1. That's where I took my used motor oil. They'll take oil filters too. If you insist on CT, just put the containers in front of their garage doors in the middle of the night.. :D

J-hop
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Not sure if there is an extra fee for chemicals but spyhill is going to charge you 15$ at least.

colsankey
05-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Is spyhill free, or $15? So confused...

FiveFreshFish
05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Free at Calgary fire halls.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/Garbage-collection-information/Residential-services/Household-chemical-drop-off-program/Household-Hazardous-Waste-Drop-off-Program.aspx

This one's near the university and Market Mall.
Varsity Fire Station #17 (3740 32 Avenue NW)
At this location, drive right to the back of the fire hall where you can drop off your chemicals. It's self-serve.

J-hop
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
Is spyhill free, or $15? So confused...

Whoops I may be wrong in assuming they charge you for oil drop off (site says they take tires for free but don't have oil price listed). But all loads under 250kg are a minimum $15 (possible exception for oil?)

Edit: yea I was wrong, as long as you don't have any other waste it is zero charge for hazardous materials like oil and coolant.

If you go to spy hill go at like 9 on a saturday, I've never had to wait in line, lazy people I guess :rofl:

btimbit
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by clem24

+1. That's where I took my used motor oil. They'll take oil filters too. If you insist on CT, just put the containers in front of their garage doors in the middle of the night.. :D

Haha. I'll remember that one. It's responsible and lazy. Deal.

Zero102
05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Spy hill landfill is the closest and easiest place. No charge if you are only dropping off oil / coolant / filters. I seem to find myself there with a hatch full of jugs of oil and coolant every 8-12 months

master hec0
05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
any place that sells the fluids has to take the old fluid in by law. I always take mine to the walmart TLE section they will just pour it in to their collection bin and that's it.

Rat Fink
05-07-2012, 09:59 PM

btimbit
05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
We get paid at our dealership for our old oil, filters, and coolant. If people come to us with a bunch of old crap to get rid of, we are not going to complain about it :rofl:

No need to drop your containers off in the middle of the night. Sleep in and come by during the day. Really, nobody gives a shit.

Originally posted by master hec0
any place that sells the fluids has to take the old fluid in by law. I always take mine to the walmart TLE section they will just pour it in to their collection bin and that's it.

Didn't know that. Thanks guys!

turbotrip
05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if u scattered it through different parts of your back/front yard?

cancer man
05-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if u scattered it through different parts of your back/front yard?

If somebody sees you and calls hazmat get ready for one hell of a bill for cleanup not to mention fines.

J-hop
05-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Hypothetically speaking why would someone do something so stupid??

codetrap
05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Hypothetically speaking, you would be pouring poison into various parts of your back/front yard, probably contaminating your soil, and the soil/gardens of anyone around or downstream of you after a rain.

Not hypothetically speaking, if I caught you doing that I would report you to Alberta Environment and let them assess penalties up to $100,000 or not more than 2 years in prison for poisoning the environment and or any children in the area.

OriginalGoods
05-08-2012, 07:24 AM
All firestations take them

Modelexis
05-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Hypothetically speaking, you would be pouring poison into various parts of your back/front yard, probably contaminating your soil, and the soil/gardens of anyone around or downstream of you after a rain.

Not hypothetically speaking, if I caught you doing that I would report you to Alberta Environment and let them assess penalties up to $100,000 or not more than 2 years in prison for poisoning the environment and or any children in the area.

Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but cars leak oil from time to time and it rains from time to time and oil from those cars occasionally gets washed into the ground. Yet somehow children are not dropping dead in the streets, go figure. The world is not going to end if a few L of oil get into the soil.

Why don't you offer to personally drive down and pick this oil up and personally see that it is delivered to the correct location? Or you could hide behind government and use childish threats...How much do you really care, or is it more about just feeling superior?

turbotrip
05-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

lool calm down gramps

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7W47BxSgKLAB2cB9M1HVsmf0FIHWxX9E_oRsi2vMMzG2sHqSnlaSpzwqakA

codetrap
05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but cars leak oil from time to time and it rains from time to time and oil from those cars occasionally gets washed into the ground. Yet somehow children are not dropping dead in the streets, go figure. The world is not going to end if a few L of oil get into the soil.

Instead of threatening to report people and throw them in jail why don't you offer to personally drive down and pick this oil up and personally see that it is delivered to the correct location? Or you could hide behind government and use childish threats...How much do you really care, or is it more about just feeling superior?
Yes, I'm aware of cars leaking oil etc... but my garden isn't beside the driveway, or a road. And said leaking cars usually don't dump multiple litres of oil around their yard, contaminating the soil on the other side of the fence from my garden, or from a future property owners garden. The garden that my 4 yr old daughter roots through looking for carrots, potatoes, strawberries etc.. So, like I said, if I "caught" someone pouring oil into the soil, then I would report them so they could clean up said contaminated soil, thereby preventing all those nasty chemicals from leeching into the soil in my yard, contaminating the food that my daughter consumes.

lool calm down gramps 37. That's how old I am. In a neighborhood surrounded by small children, where a number of us share a community garden, and have small gardens in our back yards. Also, about 10 minutes ago, I watched the neighbors 2 year old pop a worm into his mouth. Not sure why he felt it necessary to eat said worm, but 2 yr old boys will be boys.

So, say what you want, but when it comes to someone threatening the health and safety of my daughter you can simply go fuck yourself. I'm also pretty certain that any reasonable adult that put even a miniscule amount of thought into it would realize what a monumentally stupid thing it is to do to contaminate their child's food supply.

Modelexis
05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
So the moral of this story is to simply not dump it in the garden, right? Why not just say that, why not just tell him to make sure he dumps it in a back alley somewhere away from a garden?

Modelexis
05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm glad to hear the degree of passion you have toward the protection of your daughter, I can't blame you for that. I can't say that I wouldn't react the same way in your position. I think your daughter is lucky to have a father that is so heavily invested in her safety.

codetrap
05-08-2012, 10:10 AM
So the moral of this story is to simply not dump it in the garden, right? Why not just say that, why not just tell him to make sure he dumps it in a back alley somewhere away from a garden?
Nope, the moral of the story is to dispose of it to the proper collection/recycling facility.

I'm glad to hear the degree of passion you have toward the protection of your daughter, I can't blame you for that. I can't say that I wouldn't react the same way in your position. I think your daughter is lucky to have a father that is so heavily invested in her safety.
Thanks. :) I spend a lot of time watching her grow up, and love every single minute of it.

clem24
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
We get paid at our dealership for our old oil, filters, and coolant. If people come to us with a bunch of old crap to get rid of, we are not going to complain about it :rofl:

No need to drop your containers off in the middle of the night. Sleep in and come by during the day. Really, nobody gives a shit.

Hahaha this is good to know!

blubs
05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
There's a clause in selling oil that you have to take back used oil as well. So basically any place that sells it, will take your old stuff as well.

BokCh0y
05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by clem24

This is how all my friends used to do it haha.

J-hop
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM

Or everyone's safety. This isn't the 1920s when spilling oil was no big deal because people were completely ignorant to the negative effects. I hate when people say stuff like "one liter of oil never dun hurt nobody" . Yea we live in a city of around 1million people, if even 10% had that ignorant self centered mentality we'd have pretty badly contaminated soil and ground water.

I work in oil and gas, we treat even small deisel spills with extreme care. One minor spill probably will have no ill effects if not cleaned up, but 100 small spills and you've got a problem, that is why each spill no matter how small has to be cleaned up completely and quickly.

Comments like yours really bug me because they are ignorant and support a pretty archaic way of thinking...

Edit: and it's one thing to have a car dripping a teaspoon sized oil patch, and it's completely different thing to be dumping liters of oil. If you were my neighbor and I saw you dumping oil or your car pissed oil everywhere, absolutely I'd call the city too...

dangleberries
05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
its more fun to late night drop oil. makes me feel like bad ass

Sugarphreak
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Modelexis
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Or everyone's safety. This isn't the 1920s when spilling oil was no big deal because people were completely ignorant to the negative effects. I hate when people say stuff like "one liter of oil never dun hurt nobody" . Yea we live in a city of around 1million people, if even 10% had that ignorant self centered mentality we'd have pretty badly contaminated soil and ground water.

I work in oil and gas, we treat even small deisel spills with extreme care. One minor spill probably will have no ill effects if not cleaned up, but 100 small spills and you've got a problem, that is why each spill no matter how small has to be cleaned up completely and quickly.

Comments like yours really bug me because they are ignorant and support a pretty archaic way of thinking...

Edit: and it's one thing to have a car dripping a teaspoon sized oil patch, and it's completely different thing to be dumping liters of oil. If you were my neighbor and I saw you dumping oil or your car pissed oil everywhere, absolutely I'd call the city too...

I'll give you the nod on that one, It's not a smart thing to do but there is a balance somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. It's false to say that one drop of oil is going to contaminate anything in any significant way and it's also false to say that pouring 40 gallons of oil in your flower bed is not going to cause any significant harm to the environment. I think the truth is more in the middle somewhere. Yes there is an ideal of no oil ever touching soil, while dumping a couple L of oil in a back alley is probably not the end of the world, it should be avoided.

I spent 12+ years in government school and I was never once taught the danger of oil contaminating the ground. I can recite the national anthem though, also I can recite the our father and the hail mary poems.

dangleberries
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I spent 12+ years in government school 12 "plus"

haha u failed a grade. maybe thats why u always so angry?

J-hop
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
kinda confused at the hail mary/our father comment, those are both prayers, something you wouldn't learn in a government (public) school :rofl:

either way mod it just isn't acceptable to dump oil anymore, its just plain dumb, there is no middle ground, it's either be stupid or not stupid, make your choice...