PDA

View Full Version : Accident Insurance Issues

rob.cal
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey guys,

Had an unfortunate incidence yesterday. Was driving on the highway and some what I thought was rubber crap fell off the undercarriage of the car in front of me ended up putting a big dent in my front bumper. Chased the guy down and found out it was a company car. Bumper now has a gigantic dent in it. Got it checked out and apparently I will need a new bumper.
Called their insurance guy and he says rubber will not make a dent on the car, and that they're not going to cover it. Anything I can do or am I just **** out of luck.

First picture if the dent
Second picture is the location of the thing that I think fell off of the other car (clips + empty bracket)

Talked to the girlfriend as she was driving behind me and apparently it may not have been rubber but something plastic - looks like a round thing with two points coming off of either side (this is her description) - I'm thinking this is some sort of cover, but obviously they're not going to admit this fell off.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/robcal_2009/05072012082.jpg
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/robcal_2009/05072012079.jpg

Cos
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM

ercchry
05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
call your insurance company. let them deal with the offender's company. you should never have to talk to the company representing the the person who "hit" you

rob.cal
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
That's the thing isn't it, I mean I can say that I think it fell off a certain part of the undercarriage, but really I can't say that's for certain. I figured this is probably going to come out of my own pocket. Guy could have totally driven over it and launched it at my bumper or the thing could have been sucked into the wheels and launched from the car, but who knows. Dumb drive + me in an unlucky position = me SOL

Any suggestions from anyone for maybe pushing the dent out a bit while I wait for a new bumper?

rob.cal
05-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence ercchry.

ercchry
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rob.cal

Any suggestions from anyone for maybe pushing the dent out a bit while I wait for a new bumper?

plastic doesnt really "push out", i think you are SOL on that one.

but isnt that second picture of the offending car? missing pieces from its underside?

Cos
05-08-2012, 10:38 AM

rob.cal
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Haha yea...

Second pic is of the other car.

We'll see what happens, I've got pretty good insurance coverage, but worse comes to worse, I put an aftermarket bumper on; the situation just sucks. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Masked Bandit
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
OP, I think you're pretty much screwed. I wouldn't go calling your insurance company just yet either until you know what the repair costs are going to be. Do you have a broker or do you deal with a direct writer (bank). If it's a broker you "should" be okay to chat with them off the record but if it's a bank you're going to want to be careful.

spikerS
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
take a heat gun and slowly heat up the dented area while applying constant pressure from behind with a piece of wood until the dent comes out, then keep the pressure up while the plastic bumper cools. Rigging something up to keep the pressure up is easiest.

Just be sure to heat it up evenly, and don't overheat it, and the plastic should pop itself back out. Then a wet sand and polish and should be good to go.

rob.cal
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks Spikers, got 3M stuck on the front bumper. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be any damage to the paint, just some rubber transfer. Pack of beer for anyone that wants to give me a hand haha
Figured I was SOL:banghead:

tom_9109
05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
From that photo I don't see why the cover can't be repaired. A replacement doesn't appear to be required.

cloud7
05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Have you reported this to the police? Might be a good first step and ask them if there is anything you can do.