PDA

View Full Version : WB Memorial to Deerfoot South during Rush Hour

bb147
05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
So we all know during Rush Hour the one lane heading West on Memorial South everyone is in line to go to Deerfoot South. There's train tracks to cross and 2 lights, its very often (everyday) that traffic gets backed up all the way up Memorial even to maxbell station sometimes. It's a good 15 to 20 minute line up to get onto Deerfoot South.

Lately I keep seeing people go in the middle lane to skip the massive line up and cut straight to the left past the first set of lights to try and get into the one left lane that heads onto Deerfoot South.

The good news is more and more people are not letting these guys cut in...

Until today, I see an old f*** drive right through the double lane divider to cut straight in to get on Deerfoot. He literally sat there and waited as the light turns to green and floors it to get in, i just about hit the guy.

Here's street view to see the intersection I'm talking about
http://g.co/maps/t7ch7

Is there anything we can do about these assholes that decide they can drive without following traffic? Especially during rush hour? It's a massive piss off and makes the line up seemingly worse everyday.

Just for fun I took a picture of the guy's car and license plate, not that it'll do anything.

bourge73
05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
This too makes me crazy,but heading North, I'll usually fuck with them speeding up and slowing down, then they are fucked and have to take Barlow. Too many idiots let them in anyway. Cabbies are the worst to they never wait. Saw a cop there once nailing people cutting in but ya that was once..

codetrap
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
If you turn so that you're facing back, and see that dotted white line? That means it's perfectly legal and ok to merge in there. So when I decide to bypass the lineup all the way back to Max Bell, and then merge in across that dotted white line, well, it's perfectly fine. Crossing the solid white line is a no-no.

Suck it up princess.

Isaiah
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm kinda with codetrap on this one. Different driving styles; some people just don't like to play follow-the-leader.

Cos
05-08-2012, 09:01 PM

codetrap
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Cos, I never thought of that. If the lineup is that huge, might be worth it. :D

Type_S1
05-08-2012, 09:17 PM
As long as you are not cutting in on solid lines then you are the huge dbag for not letting them in. Dotted white lines = with a car signalling you should be letting someone in.

As long as people are driving within the laws I don't care...because I do the same thing. I am not waiting in a 15 minute line up when I can be through in a minute by LEGALLY merging into the same line of traffic. :D You should drive with me in rush hour heading into the core or heading home....you would love it ;)

Smart+Legal Driving = Bi-Winning :goflames:

black13
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Well if everyone cut in like that then obviously it would be even more of a cluster fuck.
It is really a douchie move. I avoid going south at memorial during rush hour for that reason. And I sure as hell don't let anyone in if I do.

The design of that bridge is retarted to begin with. I hate these circle/clover type bridges where its like 4 set of lights just to go southbound. Shag and Crowchild, 16 ave/deerfoot, all have it. Why not build off ramps on the right side???

gpomp
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
when i go to disneyland i push people out of the way to get to the front instead of waiting an hour in line. as far as i know i'm not breaking the law. :dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
The southbound idiots blocking the westbound 16th traffic coming from deerfoot south pisses me off too.

Shame all those off ramps were designed for a lot less volume.

Mar
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
As long as you are not cutting in on solid lines then you are the huge dbag for not letting them in. Dotted white lines = with a car signalling you should be letting someone in.
Cool bro. Next time I go to the bar I'll skip the line and stand at the front, waiting for someone to let me in. Lineups are for suckers.

GoChris
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Cool bro. Next time I go to the bar I'll skip the line and stand at the front, waiting for someone to let me in. Lineups are for suckers.

:facepalm:

bb147
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
edit: fuck, wrong quote. meant to quote codetrap...

If you turn so that you're facing back, and see that dotted white line? That means it's perfectly legal and ok to merge in there. So when I decide to bypass the lineup all the way back to Max Bell, and then merge in across that dotted white line, well, it's perfectly fine. Crossing the solid white line is a no-no. Suck it up princess.

As much as I dislike this, that's fine and doesn't really piss me off as much as what the guy did today because he cut in AFTER the dotted lines and sat right in that "triangle" between the solid lines.

I'm somewhat okay with "trying your luck" and trying to get in at the dotted lines (good luck, more people are not letting cars in this way, not after waiting 15 minutes to get there themselves lol), but if you're PAST the dotted lines than you should admit that you lost and keep going on Memorial and not force yourself in through the double solid line!

Type_S1
05-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Mar

You just went full retard...you are breaking rules that way (even though quite often if you have to stand in a line at a club you are a sucker...but that's another issue).

If you re-read my post without going full retard I say if you are legally (which means within the rules) merge into traffic there is no problem, you are not doing anything wrong.

PS. People who collect transformers don't go to bars do they? :poosie: ...I kid I kid

SportEL
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I heard there was a 3 car accident at that intersection yesterday afternoon.

Mar
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM

You just went full retard...you are breaking rules that way (even though quite often if you have to stand in a line at a club you are a sucker...but that's another issue).

If you re-read my post without going full retard I say if you are legally (which means within the rules) merge into traffic there is no problem, you are not doing anything wrong.

PS. People who collect transformers don't go to bars do they? :poosie: ...I kid I kid

Right but going to the back of the line isn't any sort of rule. It's just social practice.

euro_racer
05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
when i go to disneyland i push people out of the way to get to the front instead of waiting an hour in line. as far as i know i'm not breaking the law. :dunno:

Originally posted by Mar

comparing apples to oranges... like said, there is a DOTTED LINE = following rules, perfectly fine

I don't understand why people have trouble letting other people in, I let everyone merge when I can as it is easier and keeps the traffic flow moving. IMO you are the bad driver and part of the reason why Canada has shit drivers (compared to places like Europe). You are just stressing yourself out for no reason, getting mad over nothing and potentially causing an accident and/or more delays. If you don't let that person in, someone else for sure will eventually (you sure showed that guy eh?) Yeah I can see it being a bit annoying but in reality if you let a person or two budge in front of you what do you lose? ~5 seconds of your trip? /rant :banghead:

G
05-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Right but going to the back of the line isn't any sort of rule. It's just social practice.

You would be stuck in the exact same spot for eternity if you did that in China. Even driving in NY if you let anyone in you will not get back in. I was ahole #1 driving in NY but the people are use to it and they dont get all pissy like here.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

If you think that will work for you... go ahead and try it. Considering that Disney uses the Fastpass System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Fastpass) which essentially schedules you an appointment to ride your ride, and according to Disney, they WILL enforce (http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2012/03/08/disney-enforcing-line-jumping-policy/) a line jumping policy.

Back in the real world on the road, there is no such policy. Just a social convention for the sheep.

speedog
05-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Amusing posts, I'd bet that the guy who cheats the system usually doesn't end up much farther ahead after another 20 or 30 minutes of commuting. Every day I do Deerfoot and I see people doing douche moves and every day I'll pull up behind or often ahead of these same douches at the first set of lights off of Deerfoot.

Let them be the idiot drivers that they are and they'll one day end up like the douche driver of a Acura SUV I saw Saturday morning at Cross Iron Mills who took out a sign through his stupid driving and probably incurred over $7,000 worth of damages to his vehicle - roads weren't that bad if you drove like a normal person which this idiot clearly wasn't on that morning.

Karma, she's a bitch and she'll catch up to you at some point in time - it's inevitable.

Type_S1
05-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Mar

No it is actually a rule. If you cut in line at a bar/club...the bouncer comes and kicks you out. (In theory, this isn't how it actually happens) But there are line jumper rules at bars.

Your logic is completely retarded so go re-evaluate it :thumbsup:

Type_S1
05-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Amusing posts, I'd bet that the guy who cheats the system usually doesn't end up much farther ahead after another 20 or 30 minutes of commuting. Every day I do Deerfoot and I see people doing douche moves and every day I'll pull up behind or often ahead of these same douches at the first set of lights off of Deerfoot.

Let them be the idiot drivers that they are and they'll one day end up like the douche driver of a Acura SUV I saw Saturday morning at Cross Iron Mills who took out a sign through his stupid driving and probably incurred over $7,000 worth of damages to his vehicle - roads weren't that bad if you drove like a normal person which this idiot clearly wasn't on that morning.

Karma, she's a bitch and she'll catch up to you at some point in time - it's inevitable.

Those are stupid drivers. I cut atleast 15-20 minutes off my trip by driving smart+legally ;) both to and from work during rush hour!

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:06 AM

I agree with you about it all except "the system" part. You're probably envisioning someone all stressed out in a panic racing along the line of cars at full speed ahead then slamming on the brakes at the last possible second. While that does happen, it couldn't be further from the truth for me personally. I drive at lower than the speed limit along beside those lines because you never know when someone is going to suddenly lose patience and pull out. Then I signal with plenty of time, merge in and usually give "the wave". That feeling of warm self satisfaction I get from having bypassed the 80 or so cars lined up is usually enough of a reward for me.

As for your belief in karma. Well, the Flying Spaghetti Monster teaches us that karma is superstitious nonsense. However, that being said, if you treat people with respect, then you'll generally get that back due to the complex social interactions of a normal society, and the fact that while most people are generally ignorant in a day to day fashion, they don't do it on purpose, and are often kind when awake and aware.

SOAB
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
well, i guess this picture has it backwards.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Fixed it for you...

speedog
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
^^Only for the sheep apparently.

colinxx235
05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
^

So while you are waiting to merge in like a jackass, what happens if people are behind you? Can I ram my huge SUV up your ass and blame it on you for blocking my lane?

Cos
05-09-2012, 08:31 AM

speedog
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
colinxx235 - you're not getting it. Everyone's really got to cut these late merging/whatever drivers some slack because their time is just as valuable as every other driver's time, eh.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

So while you are waiting to merge in like a jackass, what happens if people are behind you? Can I ram my huge SUV up your ass and blame it on you for blocking my lane?

You can. But could you live with yourself for injuring or killing any children in the vehicle in front of you? Or with the fact that you'll likely be charged with anything from driving without due care to vehicular manslaughter.

I personally don't often suffer from the "waiting to merge like a jackass" unless someone else like the OP actively refuses to allow me to merge, then I'll consider it a critical failure in planning, and reroute accordingly.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Whenever I see that photo I always imagine the left lane is stopped, like all busy traffic intersections, so that guy really is an asshole.

This whole argument reminds me of eb blackfoot onto nb deerfoot. There are two through lanes on the right and one turn lane. The one turn lane turns into two turn lanes but people in the thru lanes always feel they can use that second turn lane. It is quite clearly marked that it is a thru lane and also is marked with a solid white line.

More than once have I almost been squeezed out. Thank god friday is my last day down at that office.

Is that here?

http://g.co/maps/puxft

Cos
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

colinxx235
05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
colinxx235 - you're not getting it. Everyone's really got to cut these late merging/whatever drivers some slack because their time is just as valuable as every other driver's time, eh.

Yah drivers impatience is ridiculous. Few spots always have problems. NB deer between barlow to doug for example, guy in an rsx yesterday morning tries to floor it out of 3rd lane so he can rip down that turn off lane and skip 10-20 spots. I'm doing 100 in that lane and I had to absolutely slam my brakes/swerve to avoid killing him (nice scare at 645am). Shit happens weekly, one of these days its 7000lbs through your car.

@codetrap I can live with that. maybe if it happens to yourself you'll think back and be like "if only I just went behind that line of 20 cars instead of thinking saving 30 seconds was worth being a cunt ;) :D

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Cos, :confused: Do you mean they dive into the dual left turn lane at the last possible second? I know I've had a close one in that intersection too. On the bike, I'll tend to stay in the far left lane and just enjoy the fact I'm on the bike and take my time. Lineup or no..

colinxx235: There are circumstance in which I would have no problem taking a life. This isn't one of them. I figure you're probably not serious, because I really don't know anyone personally that would think that killing some innocent passengers over a small traffic delay is ok.

I also do my best to try NOT to be a *cunt* while driving. There are times when bypassing the line is fine, and times when it's not. If it can be done safely without interfering with regular flow, then great. If it's a show stopper and you're blocking the through lane, then it's not. That's what my point was. The OP feeling the need to have a little public cry over the fact that there are people that don't share his views on lining up, well, have a tissue and get over it.

rizfarmer
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I think you guys are arguing different points. Codetrap, if you can change lanes, merge, force your vehicle in front of another while skipping the mile long line to merge on to Deerfoot South over a dotted white line - great. I'd do the same thing.

I think the OP's problem is the asshole's, ignorant pricks, and drivers oblivious to reality who run out of dotted line then park their vehicle on a solid white line while waiting from someone to let them into the left turn lane to head south on DF. This in turn fucks over everyone heading WB Memorial from DF north.

speedog
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Trick is to avoid these known problem areas - kind of like NB Deerfoot onto WB Memorial during the afternoon rush, only a fool stays in the left lane coming off of Deerfoot because of all the bonehead drivers in the left lane on WB Memorial trying to get onto SB Deerfoot who'll be blocking that lane.

Learn your routes in order to avoid the crap - there are some better ways to get around in Calgary if the main routes are bogged down. 26th Street SE is often a nice little gem during the NB Deerfoot PM rush - so is NB Macleod Trail when NB Deerfoot is bogged down and even more so now that the 4th Street SE subway is open.

clem24
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
I don't get it.. Why can't you take the St. Georges Drive exit, turn left onto 12th, and back onto EB Memorial?

http://g.co/maps/zjyvp

Aside from an arrow marked on the ground, I see NO signs that says no left hand turns. Looks to be perfectly legal to make a left hand turn there if you ask me.

But yes.. I personally wouldn't let asshats that bypass everyone waiting in line to get in at the front. It does nothing to help the flow of traffic. It's a fucked up design on the part of the city. Blame them. Well wherever the NE CTrain goes before Whitehorn is an absolute design fail. I sincerely hope they do something to upgrade it.

Same goes with EB Memorial onto NB Deerfoot. And yes, almost 100% of cab drivers and 94% of BMW drivers always sneak to the front and try to get in.

Cos
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM

TheCheff
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I can't believe codetrap is still trying to defend his retarded position. codetrap, type_s1, eurodriver COME AT ME BROOOO
:guns: :whipped:

Your "safe" dotted line maneuver you keep explaining does not exist in rush hour traffic. Stop pretending it does.

speedog
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Those are stupid drivers. I cut at least 15-20 minutes off my trip by driving smart+legally ;) both to and from work during rush hour! Well I know after doing 4+ years of a 32km commute from north central to deep, deep SW that taking 'legal' risks won't take more than 2-3 minutes off of my average 30 minute morning commute and my 40-45 minute afternoon commute. What I have found after these 4+ years is that picking the right lane, knowing what routes to take and using Twitter and the various traffic radio reports will save me more time than anything else and certainly now, Twitter has become the most timely and accurate tool to use to beat traffic. Also, watching people taking the "legal" aspect to the limit has produced more than a few accidents for those same drivers as well as elevated road rage - my life isn't worth the elevated road rage of others.

clem24
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
What I have found after these 4+ years is that picking the right lane, knowing what routes to take

100% agree!!! After driving day in and day out on Crowchild, I've learned exactly which lanes to be in at what points to get me to a consistent commute. Observing people dart in and out of traffic and then seeing myself catch up to them goes to show that strategy doesn't work. And in the end, saving 2-3 minutes but arriving SUPER pissed off and agitated is not worth it.

I say, buy a nice car, enjoy the drive, be friendly and you'll arrive at your destination on time and happy. (still though thumbs down to the fuckers on Memorial who still try to cut in HA).

codetrap
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
I can't believe codetrap is still trying to defend his retarded position. codetrap, type_s1, eurodriver COME AT ME BROOOO
:guns: :whipped:

Your "safe" dotted line maneuver you keep explaining does not exist in rush hour traffic. Stop pretending it does.

"come at me broooo"? Wtf.. are you 12?

You maybe want to take your panties off, and untie that knot in them. While you're at it, wipe the tears of frustration from your eyes, and use the moisture to moisten your vagina while you wipe the sand out of it.

I'm with speedog and clem personally. Knowing my route and enjoying my drive is the way I go.

Edit.. I had to, I just had too..

TheCheff's Self image...
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/come-at-me-bro.jpg

The reality...
http://www.bordom.net/item/click_image/63532

speedog
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
So per codetrap and other like minded posters - it is not illegal to try to get into that left turn lane right up until just before that second set of lights on EB Memorial at Deerfoot.

But, and this is a big but, seeing as the left lane (not the left turn lane) is a through lane with a posted speed limit of 80kph, is there not an expected minimum speed limit one should be maintaining in that lane - certainly being stopped or close to stopped with a left signal light on would not equate to a safe minimum speed for that 80kph lane.

Now I know there's probably a buttload of people who do this last minute left turn/lane change thing at this location, but if one of these people were to get a ticket for not maintaining a safe speed or possibly obstructing through traffic behind them, how fightable would this kind of ticket be.

Link to said area here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=calgary,+ab&ll=51.049163,-114.017752&spn=0.001169,0.00327&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&gl=ca&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.049147,-114.017894&panoid=SwpXLYC0GYZvsMqI3DcScg&cbp=12,281.01,,0,0.22) - note that I wouldn't be one of the buttload driver's doing the last minute thing but then again, this nightmare traffic spot wouldn't ever be a part of my regular commute, I'd find a different way.

JfuckinC
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
someone pulled that faggety fuck move today! there was a line in the far left lane and he took up the middle lane, so everyone coming off deerfoot north to westbound memorial had to fucking go around the losers ass. :banghead:

no matter what you say, you're a piece of shit for doing it, in any situation on any road haha.. i don't hate you personally. just your kind :poosie:

codetrap
05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Speedog,

I have no idea if you'd ever get a ticket. Personally though, when I'm in the lane adjacent to a lineup of cars that is stopped, or near stopped. I always slow down simply because I feel it's safer to do so. Lots of times I've had people just suddenly decide to punch it and do a california lane change right in front of me. I certainly wouldn't be doing 80 in rush hour with high density traffic beside a long lineup.

In your link.. if I could safely merge into the open space, I probably would. However, if I couldn't safely merge, I wouldn't stop and wait. I'd keep going on and take an alternate route. Though in all honestly, I probably would have merged in by the beginning of the bridge since by that time I would be able to see if there was a stall or something that was causing a huge lineup.

The whole point is about doing it safely. If I can bypass most of the lineup safely, then I'm going to do it in a heartbeat without regret. If I can't, then I'm going to be looking around to figure out why its lined up to begin with, and look at alternate routes to where I want to go.

Type_S1
05-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Speedog,

I have no idea if you'd ever get a ticket. Personally though, when I'm in the lane adjacent to a lineup of cars that is stopped, or near stopped. I always slow down simply because I feel it's safer to do so. Lots of times I've had people just suddenly decide to punch it and do a california lane change right in front of me. I certainly wouldn't be doing 80 in rush hour with high density traffic beside a long lineup.

In your link.. if I could safely merge into the open space, I probably would. However, if I couldn't safely merge, I wouldn't stop and wait. I'd keep going on and take an alternate route. Though in all honestly, I probably would have merged in by the beginning of the bridge since by that time I would be able to see if there was a stall or something that was causing a huge lineup.

The whole point is about doing it safely. If I can bypass most of the lineup safely, then I'm going to do it in a heartbeat without regret. If I can't, then I'm going to be looking around to figure out why its lined up to begin with, and look at alternate routes to where I want to go.

Well said sir.

speedog
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
codetrap, it's good to see you clarify things because the initial perception you made with regards to this situation was quite a bit different.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
codetrap, it's good to see you clarify things because the initial perception you made with regards to this situation was quite a bit different.

codetrap with coffee is quite a bit nicer than codetrap without coffee. :)

JfuckinC
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM

No doubt, i thought you meant you were That Guy i posted about earlier.. in that case i do it to :rofl:

codetrap
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
JfuckinC... yeah, I'm not a total asshole, I just play one on beyond. ;)

colinxx235
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
yah I was cranky earlier too haha, early mornings suck :rofl:

plus yesterday was the closest call I've had with a moron trying to skip spots in a very very long time. would make it easier to sell my vehicle :rofl:

NCS05
05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm perfectly fine with people being able to cut the line and merge in safely but it's the ones that stop in the lane and expect people to patiently wait while they try and get themselves into the lane. Same situation happens on crowchild right before the exit for memorial eastbound, had to slam my brakes for some asshole deciding he could skip the line heading south on crowchild.

FiveFreshFish
05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Cutting into the turn lane at the last second is legal, but discourteous if you're not able to get in and then block traffic behind you.

I thought the OP meant cars that went past the light and then turned left.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14y333p.jpg

FixedGear
05-10-2012, 09:07 AM
^^that's what I thought, too... but the initial post wasn't clearly written and everyone started arguing about merging so I just assumed I misinterpreted it. :dunno:

CompletelyNumb
05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
:werd: Image above is how I interpreted the OP.

I've never seen anyone do it though. Merging last second and holding up traffic behind them, on the other hand, I see it every day.

bspot
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I hate it when people do that and the main lanes are flowing. You come flying around, along the line of stopped traffic, then suddenly someone's ass is in your lane and you have to dodge them or hit the brakes. :whipped:

SCHIDER23
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Same problem at Southbound Crowchild, merge to Glenmore:

http://g.co/maps/t3249

This spot in rush hours is pretty bad, I always try to get in early cause I don't want to missed the merge, than you see cars just gunning it on the lane beside it, but than at the last minute their blinkers turn on and they start to block traffic, some even have the nerve to start flashing their lights so you can let them in, even though the line is not moving.:dunno:

bb147
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
No,

this is what I meant...

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2654/48052506.jpg

He sat in between the two solid white lines! That's what pissed me off and what the whole topic was suppose to be about...

Then people started going on about merging in which I said I hated too but whatever, it happens.

With that said, i see people do what you drew too with the red line, but I'm pretty sure that's a guaranteed ticket if a cop sees you.

FixedGear
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
^^^LOL, no offence but your initial post was probably the most unclear and confusing thing that's ever been posted on the internet.

HiTempguy1
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Ever heard of etiquette? What you are doing is the douchiest move ever, whether "legal" or not. Go fuck your hat. Yes, that is how much I hate people who feel that because they can legally merge, that gives them the right to cut in front of a huge line of cars.

As someone else said, if everyone did that, it would be a nightmare, which is why people don't, because they have some FUCKING COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY. :guns:

I never let people in who try and do that anyway. You want to hit my car? Knock yourself the fuck out! I'll gladly take your insurance money.

FiveFreshFish
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Either way, if that move can bypass a queue of 50 to 100 cars, someone will do it and will save themselves several traffic light cycles.

Slightly OT....

I see this douche bag move almost daily. Going northbound on Deerfoot just past 32 Ave, cars in the right lane cut onto the ramp and then merge as if they came from 32 Ave. Gains maybe half a dozen car lengths and possibly 20 seconds. Just not worth the effort. :facepalm:

http://i45.tinypic.com/14ahjf6.jpg

ae92gts
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM
This same thing happens all the time NB deerfoot at McKnight Tr. the far right lane turns onto westbound McKnight and is usually empty during rush hour. So of course you get that dickhead who flys by everyone and cuts into the through lanes, and most of the time holds up cars wanting to actually turn west bound.

such a piss off and i never and will never let them in.

masoncgy
05-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Either way, if that move can bypass a queue of 50 to 100 cars, someone will do it and will save themselves several traffic light cycles.

Slightly OT....

I see this douche bag move almost daily. Going northbound on Deerfoot just past 32 Ave, cars in the right lane cut onto the ramp and then merge as if they came from 32 Ave. Gains maybe half a dozen car lengths and possibly 20 seconds. Just not worth the effort. :facepalm:

http://i45.tinypic.com/14ahjf6.jpg

I have never understood why people even bother with this move given it results in no real gain.

If you're already throwing the rules, just do this instead. It's a major gain in terms of time savings and far less of a douchebag manuever. It is illegal though... lol.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2iqd6d4.jpg

FiveFreshFish
05-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

If you're already throwing the rules, just do this instead. It's a major gain in terms of time savings and far less of a douchebag manuever. It is illegal though... lol.

Yep, when going straight through over 32 Ave, you face a dual left turn sign at the light.

It works better at the 16 Ave interchange where there are two traffic lights. At the second light the two lanes split into a dual left turn plus dual lanes going straight that becomes a one lane on-ramp. But the ramp becomes its own lane on Deerfoot and no merging is required. I believe this maneuver is legal at the 16 Ave interchange.

speedog
05-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Yep, when going straight through over 32 Ave, you face a dual left turn sign at the light.

It works better at the 16 Ave interchange where there are two traffic lights. At the second light the two lanes split into a dual left turn plus dual lanes going straight that becomes a one lane on-ramp. But the ramp becomes its own lane on Deerfoot and no merging is required. I believe this maneuver is legal at the 16 Ave interchange.
It is legal at 16th Ave in both the NB & SB directions, but it will gain you nothing (if not set you back) as many times as it will gain you something - it's a crap shoot at the best of times.

speedog
05-11-2012, 06:30 AM
As said before, know your routes and pay attention to traffic radio and Twitter - Deerfoot NB was a gong show last night, backed up from 32nd Ave NE to Glenmore. A few minutes spent listening to traffic radio and perusing Twitter saw me doing 30+km from Bridlewood to the McKnight/Centre Street area via Macleod Trail/Centre Street in about 40 minutes last night instead of my usual commute on Deerfoot. Cheating the system on NB Deerfoot at 16th Ave and 32nd Ave would've probably been fruitless last night.

frizzlefry
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I will never cross a solid or double white line to get into a lane. I will however, and often do, pass suckers waiting to be let in then shift into first and move up the parallel lane waiting for the inevitable person who is not paying attention and sitting there when traffic starts to move and zip in front of them. :dunno: Screw 'em. They are part of the reason its so slow anyways :)

Type_S1
05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ae92gts
This same thing happens all the time NB deerfoot at McKnight Tr. the far right lane turns onto westbound McKnight and is usually empty during rush hour. So of course you get that dickhead who flys by everyone and cuts into the through lanes, and most of the time holds up cars wanting to actually turn west bound.

Ummm...why is it a piss off? They are in a lane which they are allowed to be, and then they merge when they are allowed!

PEOPLE DRIVING LEGALLY :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :banghead: :banghead:

ae92gts
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Ummm...why is it a piss off? They are in a lane which they are allowed to be, and then they merge when they are allowed!

PEOPLE DRIVING LEGALLY :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :banghead: :banghead:

When holding up traffic in a lane that is clearly marked a turn only lane and cutting off everyone else who has patiently waited in the proper lane, just to save a few seconds off their commute is a piss off. Legal or not, still a dickhead move.

ColoDano
05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Just to add more fuel to the fire.....

What about the the dickwads that are WB on Memorial to SB Deerfoot, in the far left lane, that pull into the middle of the intersection and get stopped, blocking the NB from Deerfoot light onto Memorial. I swear every time I go downtown to pick up the wife after work, my blood pressure raises a few points due to this.

Feruk
05-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ae92gts

The way I see it, it's a toss up. If the guy pulling the manouver successfully skips a whole bunch of cars and manages to merge back in without holding up traffic, then he's outsmarted every guy waiting in the traffic jam. If he doesn't find a spot to jump back in and jams up traffic, he deserves to be honked at continuously until he takes the exit ramp. The real problem is people in Calgary don't honk half as much as they should.

powerslave
05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Another piss-off is going WB 32 Ave North onto SB Deerfoot. That left lane gets backed up even before it turns into a turn-only lane and there's always people trying to cut in at the last minute. So annoying.

The other day some tool in a black Saturn was blocking 32 Ave, had his blinker on trying to squeeze in the turning lane. This was the same guy who was in the left lane just a 100m back, but he thought he could skip all the cars ahead and squeeze in. I didn't let him in, and he got mad.

Once on Deerfoot, a different guy in a van that was a few cars behind me gave me thumbs up for not letting that fool in.

There's a difference between merging/changing lanes safely when there's enough distance between cars, or when someone is not paying attention and they leave enough room before moving, opposed to completely blocking the flow of traffic while trying to switch lanes.

Same thing happens on WB Canyon Meadows to SB MacLeod Trail.

bb147
05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Saw it happen again today...

Guy driving a Chevy Camaro and drove right through the double solid line (onto the curb even) to cut right in front of a semi-truck.. lol. the semi almost hit him and he honked and the guy in the camaro fingered the semi.

not gonna lie, I was hoping the semi would get pissed off and purposely run into him till his car squished hahahaha.

Amysicle
05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
There's a difference between merging/changing lanes safely when there's enough distance between cars, or when someone is not paying attention and they leave enough room before moving, opposed to completely blocking the flow of traffic while trying to switch lanes. :werd:

relyt92
05-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
Another piss-off is going WB 32 Ave North onto SB Deerfoot. That left lane gets backed up even before it turns into a turn-only lane and there's always people trying to cut in at the last minute. So annoying.

The other day some tool in a black Saturn was blocking 32 Ave, had his blinker on trying to squeeze in the turning lane. This was the same guy who was in the left lane just a 100m back, but he thought he could skip all the cars ahead and squeeze in. I didn't let him in, and he got mad.

Once on Deerfoot, a different guy in a van that was a few cars behind me gave me thumbs up for not letting that fool in.

There's a difference between merging/changing lanes safely when there's enough distance between cars, or when someone is not paying attention and they leave enough room before moving, opposed to completely blocking the flow of traffic while trying to switch lanes.

Same thing happens on WB Canyon Meadows to SB MacLeod Trail. God I hate trying to get onto SB deerfoot from 32nd. It's worse for me cause I come south on 12th, then west on 32nd to get onto deerfoot from work. If I don't have perfect timing on the lights to be able to go straight to the left lane, I end up having to try and have somebody let me over which they never do.

firebane
05-11-2012, 09:30 PM
SB onto Deerfoot from 32nd .. ugh.

I go that way every night and while most nights is good that odd night you get some retarded traffic and I end up between both merge lanes with asshats not wanting to let me in cause I didn't want to block 32nd ave.

captain134
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
It is amazing that the 2 or 3 trolls in the thread can't believe they are creating a bigger problem by "legally merging". I guess they are trying to make it seem rational in their own mind because you all know they feel like a tool when they are blocking an exit lane and the people who are trying to exit are behind them blowing their horns.

captain134
05-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Don't you ask yourself "this is such a great idea, why isn't everybody doing it" ?

Unknown303
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Do the 12th Street bridge loop and all your problems are solved. You'll never be stuck in that massive line waiting to go southbound.

firebane
05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Do the 12th Street bridge loop and all your problems are solved. You'll never be stuck in that massive line waiting to go southbound.

What route is that? I'm always up for quicker ways.

speedog
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Bit of a discombobulated thread now what with ppl tossing in Memorial Drive shortcuts just after a 32nd Ave NE/Deerfoot discussion - kind of amusing though.

Isaiah
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
I will never cross a solid or double white line to get into a lane. I will however, and often do, pass suckers waiting to be let in then shift into first and move up the parallel lane waiting for the inevitable person who is not paying attention and sitting there when traffic starts to move and zip in front of them. :dunno: Screw 'em. They are part of the reason its so slow anyways :)
That's the move right there. But we're considered jerks for doing it.

clem24
05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by firebane

What route is that? I'm always up for quicker ways.

:facepalm: Read the thread.