PDA

View Full Version : Pounding headache after weight training

bigbadboss101
05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Never had this problem before but the past three weight training sessions I had issues with pain in the back of my head. Squats, deadlifts, and bench on three different days.
Usually the first couple reps are ok but after a while I can feel the boom boom boom pounding and had to take it easy.

I will probably go see a doctor but last time I went to a doctor for a possible concussion they didn't do much. 2 hour wait, 2 min talk. I went cause I took a spill on ice and landed on back of my head.

What might be causing this? Some say dehydration. Some say I was probably not breathing properly. It could be a combination of both plus other factors. Some said to be sure I am not having signs of a stroke. Some said I should get a CT scan.

I played 2 hours of ball hockey the other day no problem. It seems to be weight training that lead to the headache. It could be because of the position of the neck. I played many sports and have trained for many years with no problem before.

I did a 2 week juice fast about 3-4 weeks ago. It was strictly home brew juice and beans diet. I would not doing it again. I felt weak as heck and 3 friends who did it were weak. Normally they can run 10-14 km and during the fast they can't do any sort of distance. I don't think problem is because of the fast but you never know.

I took my blood pressure 3 times in the past 6 weeks. It's been always around 108 / 67 give and take a bit.
At the gym when I was having the headache I got my bp taken and it was 140 over ??

Ideas?

schocker
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
You lifted too heavy :rofl:
Are you taking a pre-workout or energy drinks or anything before, that is what I have had before and gotten headaches working out.

sevewone
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
http://images.wikia.com/familyguy/images/6/68/E4cd5177c7e797037a2a10ee0e5c11f9.gif

GQBalla
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
what are you on?

creatine gives me a headache.

ive heard from friends that some juice gives you headaches too.

what did you cycle?

are you breathing while lifting? i used to hold my breath and it cause me to almost black out sometimes when i was breaking records.

GQBalla
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
never mind saw you did a juice fast diet.
lol

but incase you on juice keep that in mind

bigbadboss101
05-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I am not on anything really. BCAA (Xtend) that's about it.

CUG
05-09-2012, 12:09 AM
That happened to me when I was dehydrated. More water?

EG6boi
05-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by CUG
That happened to me when I was dehydrated. More water?

^ He's probably right. Headaches after workouts are common when dehydrated.

CUG
05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by EG6boi

^ He's probably right. Headaches after workouts are common when dehydrated. I used to have a similar problem - being light headed and stuff too when I first started regularly going. I'd drink maybe small bottle of water, now I refill it probably 5 times during a workout. So much water.

theken
05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Breathe properly. Your probably holding your breath when you exert force

jonnycat
05-10-2012, 11:19 AM
My first experience with pounding headaches at the back of my skull and moving upwards, started while I was laying a new kitchen floor, in March 2009.

The first few instances, I honestly though I was dying. The pain was so intense for about 3 seconds it rivaled any other pain I had felt, including a baseball bat to the head, a truck bumper to the head, and geting kicked in the head, but i was wicked drunk for this one.

I have been to the doctors, radiology twice and have had a full head CT scan. They can't find anything and chalk it up to tension headaches and send me out the door. I thought this to be bullshit, as i am generally never too stressed.

I have been dealing with it for over 3 years and am getting better at it. You definitely need to concentrate on breathing deep while lifting, hydration is also important. Also knowing when to quit the activity causing the pain.

Does your head hurt when you full on belly laugh or cough or during other valsuvius manouvers?

I researched cough type headaches, physical exertion headaches, C1 malformation headaches and have come to the conclusion that i really must have chronic tension headaches. I have 2 imbedded knots right on each inner side of my shoulder blades. When it gets bad (off and on now and not constant like the first 2 years), I use my thumb or finger and dig at the knots relentlessly, unitl the spot is too sore to touch. This seems to give me a reprieve until out of the blue it acts up again.

bigbadboss101
05-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Actually my head never had this kind of pounding, at least for the past 20 years. Blood pressure is normal while at rest. Hydration might have been the cause but since then I have been drinking more water. I didn't lift heavy, probably 70% of max. Also changed my breathing.

Hopefully it's not anything major. I don't react to weather change either so that is not it.