PDA

View Full Version : Trees cut down in Brittannia

nzwasp
05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Doesn't seem like anyone is discussing this, does anybody think the council is going to catch who did this?

They asked the 2 million dollar house owner and he denied knowing anything about it.

I think its a bit strange that all the residents around there took 1/2 a month to bring the issue to the attention of the council and that no one heard anything. If i fired up my lawnmower at 9pm at night for example I think half the neighborhood would hear me.

revelations
05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
pictures?

nzwasp
05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Here's the calgaryherald article

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/calgary/6588596/story.html

They reckon someone cut down the trees to improve the city view of a 5 million dollar house purchased 5 months ago and a 2 million dollar house purchased a month ago.

speedog
05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Except it wasn't a lawn mower that took some of trees down - some pics here (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/calgary/6588596/story.html) at the Herald. The time frame that the OP talks about sure does make one wonder - maybe the rest of the neighbors were just waiting to see if they could get a better view at some point as well.

nzwasp
05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Except it wasn't a lawn mower that took some of trees down - some pics here (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/calgary/6588596/story.html) at the Herald. The time frame that the OP talks about sure does make one wonder - maybe the rest of the neighbors were just waiting to see if they could get a better view at some point as well.

well know it was a chainsaw as stated by the residents, i was using a lawnmower noise as an example.

clem24
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Hahaha I like Nenshi's comment that he's tempted to put a fence that is the height of those trees until the trees grow back to their original height. :rofl:

Xtrema
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Hahaha I like Nenshi's comment that he's tempted to put a fence that is the height of those trees until the trees grow back to their original height. :rofl:

lol

GQBalla
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
they all were in on it

how could no one have any information on that

ercchry
05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
was it these trees? http://g.co/maps/2ntc2

that looks more like a place where someone would rape children than a park :nut:

interlude
05-09-2012, 11:22 AM

I hope he puts up a fence!

FixedGear
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: GO NENSHI

Maybelater
05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Better go cut down their power lines.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM

baygirl
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
The house on one side is vacant, and the one on the other side is empty on a regular basis. As for taking 6-8 weeks before anyone noticed, there is a chance the date it happened is wrong.

kenny
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Its such a small amount of trees. A section of trees about 1000x this area is going to be chopped down to extend Stoney Trail across Highway 1 in the SW.

They cleared out all the trees so they can build new houses between Aspen and Strathcona. That area was probably about 3000x the size of the Britannia trees.

core_upt
05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
^^ Private land vs. public land, in a park none the less.

Hope they find out who did it and throw the book at them.

FraserB
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
^^ Private land vs. public land, in a park none the less.

Hope they find out who did it and throw the book at them.

Throwing the book is like $10,000 in fines. If I had a $5 million house and wanted a better view, I would probably pay more than $10,000 for it. They will never get the cost back from this investigation and they will never fine anyone.

littledan
05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
boooo fucken hooooo. its a small bunch of trees. I'd chop down those fuckers too if i could have a nice skyline view. i'd pay the 10k fine and plant 1000 seedlings somewhere else as compensation. i dont get all these hipster enviro pansies that cry so much about a few trees, yet calgary is oil and gas capital and the companies rape the shit out of the forest up north... :dunno: :dunno:

Supa Dexta
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Like Ron Joyce back east (tim hortons) for his golf course - fox harb'r..., he changed a coastline to his liking, so he could get yachts in... And they kept fining him, the fines were nothing in his eyes, keep blasting and digging!

http://www.bluecmi.com/landing_page/pics/fox2.jpghttps://images.marinas.com/med_res_id/102521

sputnik
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by littledan
boooo fucken hooooo. its a small bunch of trees. I'd chop down those fuckers too if i could have a nice skyline view. i'd pay the 10k fine and plant 1000 seedlings somewhere else as compensation. i dont get all these hipster enviro pansies that cry so much about a few trees, yet calgary is oil and gas capital and the companies rape the shit out of the forest up north... :dunno: :dunno:

They don't own the land where the trees are and have no right to cut down the trees.

Can I come to your house and cut down your trees and dig up your lawn?

sputnik
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Throwing the book is like $10,000 in fines. If I had a $5 million house and wanted a better view, I would probably pay more than $10,000 for it. They will never get the cost back from this investigation and they will never fine anyone.

The fines are up to $10,000 per tree.

Go4Long
05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
yeah, we had two elms on our old property that were the city's, we wanted to cut them down, but the fine was $10'000 per tree.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2012, 12:47 PM

nzwasp
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah i'm not sure if they will charge that if they can even find who is responsible, there is these notices in parkdale on trees in the front of peoples houses with how much the city would fine them if they were cut down, I think the most I have ever seen was 8k and the tree was about fifty years old.

clem24
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I am not an environmentalist but trees are nice. Calgary is already the ugliest city on Earth, and cutting down more trees just makes it worse. As well, cutting down trees that are NOT on your property is just plain wrong. It's the same as vandalism and graffiti on public property. If anything it's worse since the damage is irreparable. Or at least it'll take a few generations to get it back to how it looked.

I say: build the tall fence, find the fuckers, throw the book at them.

Go4Long
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
city replaces the trees by planting a couple of 60' spruce...WINNAR. that's how I'd win.

nzwasp
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
city replaces the trees by planting a couple of 60' spruce...WINNAR. that's how I'd win.

I was thinking that or errecting a ugly (artistic) sculpture there

CanmoreOrLess
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
The city should put a needle exchange and bottle recycle centre where the trees were cut down. At my parent's cottage area, a block down the street in the middle of winter (no one is there) "someone" cut the top twenty feet of a couple dozen trees, looks like "someone" wanted a clear view of the lake. Happens more often then one would think, but in a city it really ought to be an easy case to solve.

ercchry
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Whoever is next to put their place up for sale that has a new clear view did it! Haha

Plan to become moar rich:
1.Buy $2mm house with blocked city view
2. Cut down trees
3.????
4.Profit

msommers
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I am not an environmentalist but trees are nice. Calgary is already the ugliest city on Earth, and cutting down more trees just makes it worse.

Such a hyperbolist. Dare I say drama queen? :rofl: :rofl:

baygirl
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Rumor has it that it was 90 trees X $10,000.... $900,000 for a view

*edit* They paid $6Mil for the house. The fine is just pocket change lol

civic_stylez
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I am not an environmentalist but trees are nice. Calgary is already the ugliest city on Earth, and cutting down more trees just makes it worse.

You dont leave this city very often do you...Go spend a few weeks in Newark, Cleveland, Buffalo and Detroit...Ive done the "ghetto city tour" We live in a gorgeous city... trust me.

GQBalla
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I refused to believe no one saw someone cutting down 90 trees

Kloubek
05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Calgary is already the ugliest city on Earth

I see you've never been to Montreal.

codetrap
05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
I refused to believe no one saw someone cutting down 90 trees

I believe it. How loud is an electric chainsaw?

msommers
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
If a tree falls and no one........nevermind.

Supa Dexta
05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
90 trees is a lot of trees.. Are they all just felled, or are they totally gone? Limbs and all?

For someone who isnt a woodsmen, thats a couple weeks worth of cutting and trucking.

Tik-Tok
05-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
90 trees is a lot of trees.. Are they all just felled, or are they totally gone? Limbs and all?

For someone who isnt a woodsmen, thats a couple weeks worth of cutting and trucking.

It was 90 trees AND bushes, so not all trees, and it was just left there, no wood was taken.

Hakkola
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Can I come to your house and cut down your trees and dig up your lawn?

Yes, I'll send you my address. Can you come tomorrow?

kenny
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I wonder if the assessment of those houses next year will reflect the new view of downtown. The official count was 19 tree stumps so the potential fine is $190k. Without much evidence (or so it seems) it'd be pretty hard to convict and collect.

e31
05-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Plant a shit-ton of poplars at owners expense to replace anything that was cut.

Laugh as they have to deal with sticky-fuzzy unsightly shit everywhere and can do nothing about it.

finboy
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I was browsing through google today, it sounds like nenshi isn't joking about the fence, lol

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/05/11/calgary-trees-cutdown-fence.html

DEATH2000
05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Nenshi is a retard. The person that heard and SAW the trees getting cut down DID call 311. What was their reply? "Not important enough to send someone out".

Fuck you Nenshi.

Xtrema
05-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
Nenshi is a retard. The person that heard and SAW the trees getting cut down DID call 311. What was their reply? "Not important enough to send someone out".

Fuck you Nenshi.

If you think a CEO is directly responsible for what a lowly frontline employee did or didn't do, you are are crazy.

I'm sure 311 will now take these cases more seriously.

codetrap
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Fuck you Nenshi.

Wow. Aren't you just the fucking intuitive genius. So, you're pretty certain that Nenshi sits there all day answering 311 from stupid fucks like you? The same way Donald Trump is personally responsible for any cleaning lady forgetting to scrub the toilet in one of his hotels, or the way Jim Skinner is a complete retard because you fuck up the order in the McDonald's drive-through.

Yes, this is harsh, but I'm getting tired of the monumentally stupid attitude that people seem to have that Nenshi is personally responsible for every little thing that goes wrong or they don't like in Calgary.

FraserB
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Ultimately, the buck stops with him. If someone did call 311 and they did not bother to send someone out, then it is the call taker who is responsible, followed by their supervisor for not making sure they are performing their duties, then the city level manager for not making the standards clear, then the mayors office for not making it clear to the city level managers what is expected.

Now that this has gotten a lot of press, he is using it try and drum up support. “Look at the horrible rich people who cut down YOUR trees, I’m going to take a hard line on this now that you know about it and make retarded statements in the media. Please forget that my employees knew this was happening but didn’t care enough at the time to do anything.”

Xtrema
05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
^ grandstanding is typical of all politicians.

He won't follow thru with that threat though, as much as I love to see him try.

Graham_A_M
05-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Lol thats funny. Okay take a tour of St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit and a myriad of other US cities (and thats JUST the US) then come back and speak your mind. :nut:

Originally posted by codetrap

Wow. Aren't you just the fucking intuitive genius. So, you're pretty certain that Nenshi sits there all day answering 311 from stupid fucks like you? The same way Donald Trump is personally responsible for any cleaning lady forgetting to scrub the toilet in one of his hotels, or the way Jim Skinner is a complete retard because you fuck up the order in the McDonald's drive-through.

Yes, this is harsh, but I'm getting tired of the monumentally stupid attitude that people seem to have that Nenshi is personally responsible for every little thing that goes wrong or they don't like in Calgary.

Word, what a dumbass. Yes its humanly possible for one person to be entirely responsible for one of the interpretations of a complaint by one of the countless city of Calgary 311 operators. We have no idea of how the complaint was voiced or absolutely any other details, so its tough to say how the call was handled, and how this was dealt with.
Yes, I agree, fuck you too Nenshi. :rolleyes:

clem24
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Lol thats funny. Okay take a tour of St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit and a myriad of other US cities (and thats JUST the US) then come back and speak your mind. :nut:

Sorry what I really meant was NATURAL beauty.. Self :facepalm:

Toma
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Who gives a fuck. If the trees were bothering them obsturcting their view, cut em the fuck down. After all, they affect these people, not Nenshi.

Getting the city to do it would have been impossible.

If that was the case in my street, I would keep my mouth shut if some neighbour decided to take action.

:thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
^^ Hahh gunna agree. Couldnt care less if some shrubs are cut down .. And dont waste tax payer money on building a stupid fence..

DEATH2000
05-29-2012, 07:51 AM

I think Nensi is a retard because i feel he does a terrible job of running this city. I think hes an idiot for telling people "Call 311 when you see this happening" because after 311 didnt want to give a shit, someone at City Hall was contacted and informed. It wasnt until then that they actually gave a shit, because thats when it also hit the media. From first hand account, the city probably wouldnt have given a fuck had it not hit the media. Anyone remember the South Glenmore trees that were cut down by the homeowners? Not many people do because no one demanded a fence be built to replace them or turned it into a media specticle.

The guy that had them cut down paid $2 million for that house, and the one next to it sold for $5 million. I doubt they really give a shit about a $200,000 fine.

And have any of you actually seen where they were cut down? It looks like shit. It makes these two houses stand out at the top of the hill when the whole rest of the houses are blocked from view.

codetrap
05-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Who gives a fuck. If the trees were bothering them obsturcting their view, cut em the fuck down. After all, they affect these people, not Nenshi.

If that was the case in my street, I would keep my mouth shut if some neighbour decided to take action.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
^^ Hahh gunna agree. Couldnt care less if some shrubs are cut down .. And dont waste tax payer money on building a stupid fence..
That's pretty shortsighted guys. This was a protected environmental area, and it was a little bit more than a couple of shrubs... maybe you guys should take a wander out there and have a look at what was actually done.

This is what it looked like before...
http://pimage2.homesandland.com/image/A04Z/2/28/A04Z841282.jpg

Tik-Tok
05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Yeah, lets just cut down all the trees in Calgary, they're all blocking someone's view of something.

Won't it all be so beautiful then?

Sugarphreak
05-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Tik-Tok
05-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

As long as we are throwing property rights to the wind in the name of ascetics, can I have all the shity cars and construction trucks in my neighborhood towed away too?

Phhht, no, those belong to people, and it's their right to park wherever they want. Fuck the government for trying to tell 'em where they can't.

Sugarphreak
05-29-2012, 08:30 AM

CanmoreOrLess
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Remember that when your vehicle gets keyed or a hit and run, it only impacts you so why should I call it in. The trees are public property, they belong to me as much as to the residents of Brittannia as everyone knows.

CanmoreOrLess
05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

As long as we are throwing property rights to the wind in the name of aesthetics, can I have all the shity cars and construction trucks in my neighborhood towed away too?

The local Ferrari dealer ought to be located across the street from me, it would bump my house value as the sights and sounds would be a bonus. I can think of three objects I would like to have removed from the sight lines of my front yard and none of them are lawn dwarfs.

-relk-
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Lets put aside the fact that it was on public property, and without the right approval.

The person who did cut the trees down, not only supposedly did a messy job in cutting them, but also did not clean up the trees after they were cut down.

I think the fence idea is stupid and pointless. It seems like petty revenge to me. What they should do is fine them at least a couple grand, and give them the bill for the cleanup. Since when is Nenshi concerned about people getting a "slap" on the wrist for crimes? Real criminals (Murderers, B&E, etc..) get it everyday, who cares about putting some extra punishment to somebody who cut down a couple trees.

Toma
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
The whole issue is, these trees apparently were bothering an entire neighborhood.

If you at all believe in democracy, the people affected have a right to vote, and decide on collective action. Been through this with the city in my neighborhood. We had a a neighborhood concern, it took many petitions, and 10+ years for the city to take half ass action.

And in the tree case most of us aren't affected.

Its like living in ward 4, and voting in ward 7. Too bad, so sad. Get over it.

So, they wanted them gone, they are gone. If Nenshi wants to be a child about it and build a fence, then he better get neighborhood permission, or someone should build a 20 foot high fence around his house one night.

-relk-
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
The whole issue is, these trees apparently were bothering an entire neighborhood.

I was under the impression that the neighbors were pissed when the trees were cut down. Where did you read that the trees were bothering the neighborhood?

If Nenshi wants to be a child about it and build a fence, then he better get neighborhood permission, or someone should build a 20 foot high fence around his house one night.

Agreed.

codetrap
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM

If you at all believe in democracy, the people affected have a right to vote, and decide on collective action. Been through this with the city in my neighborhood. We had a a neighborhood concern, it took many petitions, and 10+ years for the city to take half ass action.

And in the tree case most of us aren't affected.

Its like living in ward 4, and voting in ward 7. Too bad, so sad. Get over it.

So, they wanted them gone, they are gone. If Nenshi wants to be a child about it and build a fence, then he better get neighborhood permission, or someone should build a 20 foot high fence around his house one night.
I don't think you understand what actually happened. *someone* cut down the trees on city property behind two specific properties that are for sale, or recently sold in order to boost the value by improving the *view*.

The rest of the community did NOT approve of the cutting down of these tree's on the city property, and I believe they're pretty much up in arms over it because they voted it in as a protected environmental area.

Incidentally, the deforestation may have an impact on people living down the hill due to erosion etc...

DEATH2000
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM

No they werent. They were "bothering" two people who havent even moved into the neighborhood yet. Both houses are still under construction. And this is the first time in 20 or so years that this has happened. Clearly the neighborhood was not bothered by them.

I don't think you understand what actually happened. *someone* cut down the trees on city property behind two specific properties that are for sale, or recently sold in order to boost the value by improving the *view*.

The rest of the community did NOT approve of the cutting down of these tree's on the city property, and I believe they're pretty much up in arms over it because they voted it in as a protected environmental area.

Incidentally, the deforestation may have an impact on people living down the hill due to erosion etc...
This is true. Their was no consultation with anyone living nearby. A guy showed up early in the morning and started chopping trees down. It looks crappy from the bottom of the hill as their is now two big houses sticking out from the forest at the top of the hill. Its easy to see from Sifton Blvd.