PDA

View Full Version : Best gas

Pages : [1] 2

Grogador
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm new to this whole "high performance" thing, driving beaters most of my life. So I'm wondering who has the best most dick-curlingly potent gasoline for my baby? It's for the CBR600RR but I figured it would get more feedback here than bike talk. I used Esso in the cars, mostly due to Speedpass, but it makes the bike run like shit. My friend claims Shell has the best and it seems to do the job, any other opinions??

boarderfatty
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
After doing some work and to my STI I data logged gas A tank of Esso 91, Petro 91, Shell 91, and Husky 94.

Cant remember the exact numbers but the gasses in order from least knock and timing retardation to most (aka best to worst)

Shell, Esso, Husky, Petro

I think Husky's 94 was lower solely because of its ethonol content. I was able to adjust my tune for this but my gas milage became shittier than it already as and switched back to shell 91

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Shell 91 I say. Only had one car that didn't like it.

Aleks
05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Shell 91.

Grogador
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet, that solves it, thanks guys!

J-hop
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
After doing some work and to my STI I data logged gas A tank of Esso 91, Petro 91, Shell 91, and Husky 94.

Cant remember the exact numbers but the gasses in order from least knock and timing retardation to most (aka best to worst)

Shell, Esso, Husky, Petro

I think Husky's 94 was lower solely because of its ethonol content. I was able to adjust my tune for this but my gas milage became shittier than it already as and switched back to shell 91

If you look at the composition of ethanol it contains oxygen, this means that you are getting unmetered oxygen into the combustion process, this results in a temporary lean condition which is corrected by using 02 input to richen your fuel map. Ethanol contains less energy per unit volume so not only will you use more fuel, you'll get less power per unit volume, that is why gas mileage is so shitty with ethanol.

This also means that if you drive an old vehicle that can't adjust fuel maps to compensate for the lean condition you'll be leaning it out all the time and it probably won't run well

Also as explained to me by a friend if you switch back and forth your computer will have to be adjusting fuel trims every tank so this will hit you fuel economy as well.

JZS_147
05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Power potential - Husky 94

Consistency / Quality - Shell 91

waypastfast
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Shell definitely gave me the most mileage in my car!

Xtrema
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Shell 91.

+1

94boosted
05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
+ 1 more for V-Power 91 my old Cobalt SS/TC loved the stuff

Maxt
05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by JZS_147
Power potential - Husky 94

Consistency / Quality - Shell 91
Disagree, I have made more power with almost all 91 brands than the husky 94. Also recorded less knock with the 91. It may be that turnover in the stations tanks is slower with the 94 , so it absorbs more water lowering the octane.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Shell 91...air miles & consistent power. Husky 94 made my old turbo car happy but the mileage was horrible :nut:

Skyline_Addict
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Shell is the best. Get amazing fuel mileage in an nsx 3.2L v6

gpomp
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
shell for mileage, husky for power

msommers
05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Someone recently came out saying that yes Shell 91, 100%, does not have ethanol.

clem24
05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Fuck I think I might be the only person who can't tell the difference between different brands of gas. Between all the cars I've owned (turbo, NA), I've seriously noticed no difference LOL. The only place I've been avoiding is Centex (per my mechanic) and Superstore but if I am out of options, I'll still go to Superstore. I've been mostly going to Costco simply due to price, and my car doesn't seem to know the diff (I seem to alternate between Costco and Shell). Not sure if Costco premium has ethanol but there's a sticker ONLY on the regular side that says may contain up to 10% ethanol, nothing on the premium side.

colsankey
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Any idea where COOP gets their gas?

I've always filled up at Shell, but there's a coop gas bar right on my street now and it's so much closer to fill up and wash the car there.

Tik-Tok
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Many moons ago, they used shell gas, without the additives. That wad 7-8 years ago though, so it may have changed.

Grogador
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Just filled and noticed a sign pointing to http://www.shell.ca/nitrogen/

Shell V-Power is our best, most advanced gasoline that contains the highest concentration of the NEW Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, a unique and patented formula exclusive to Shell. With five times the amount of cleaning agents required by government standards, Shell V-Power gasoline cleans up engine gunk faster than Shell Nitrogen Enriched Bronze gasoline and is designed for all vehicles – even today's most complex and advanced vehicles.

So no ethanol, but nitrogen and the TOP TIER detergents, which you can read about on their site.

sillysod
05-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Fuck I think I might be the only person who can't tell the difference between different brands of gas.

The only place I've been avoiding is Centex (per my mechanic) and Superstore .

I'm with you. I run superstore gas all the time in all our vehicles, never noticed any difference.

Xtrema
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

I'm with you. I run superstore gas all the time in all our vehicles, never noticed any difference.

There are I think only 4-5 type of stock offered in Alberta.

Chances you get Shell 91 without additive from COOP or Superstore is probably 1 in 4 or 5.

Cos
05-10-2012, 04:56 PM

Chantastic
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Someone mentioned Centex as one to avoid. Any known issues? They are dirt cheap sometimes... and it really makes a difference when it's $1.25 vs $1.35 at Coop or Shell (premium). And I haven't noticed any differences, then again, I am not a racer nor do I have any sensors to tell me whats up

georgemagana
05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
A guy on his evo x got tuned about 3 months ago here in calgary and he had shell 91 in the car. His car was getting a good amount of knock counts and power wasnt so good. He then tried husky 94 and knock went down and power went up due to all the variables.

Note: im not saying husky 94 is better, just posting what I heard from that guy.

I use esso on my beater just because its really close to my house. When I do use shell 91 I get a bit better mileage. Coop and costco made my old car run like shit. The evo only gets 94 now

J-hop
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Someone mentioned Centex as one to avoid. Any known issues? They are dirt cheap sometimes... and it really makes a difference when it's $1.25 vs $1.35 at Coop or Shell (premium). And I haven't noticed any differences, then again, I am not a racer nor do I have any sensors to tell me whats up

I remember some horseshit was floating around in a thread a while back where someone tried to claim centex "watered down" their gas :facepalm: :facepalm:

I don't see why you would avoid them. As long as it isn't an ethanol blend you are good to go, and even if it is who really cares, I'm just picky and don't want poor mileage and messed up fuel trims.

Xamim
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Petro also has 94.

Blue
05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
shell vpower gives more milage than others.

Offroad
05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I drive a Ls1 Camaro and was running Treo 93 premium.Treo was down doing reno's and tank replacement and Centrex was selling premium at regular gas prices that night. I only put in a quarter tank to fill and butt dyno felt an increase in response and acceleration. So dunno about those rumours about Centrex.

FiveFreshFish
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I've had no issues with Costco premium gas.

Aleks
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
BMW recommends only Shell be used in their cars. :dunno:

I've always used shell because it's close to my house and more importantly lots of airmiles haha.

Bobino
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Xamim
Petro also has 94.

I run this and Husky 94 in my car and it loves it. Shell 91 gets just a wee bit of knock with my tune, but I have buddies who swear by it.

revelations
05-10-2012, 09:47 PM
There are so many variables when it comes to gas and its effect on vehicles.

If you have a very high compression engine and are running 91, of course you will notice a performance degradation as the engine is intended to run fuel that resists combustion as possible.

If your bike is intended to run 89 (stock), putting 91 or 94 in it might actually REDUCE performance.

clem24
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Offroad
Centrex was selling premium at regular gas prices that night. I only put in a quarter tank to fill and butt dyno felt an increase in response and acceleration. So dunno about those rumours about Centrex.

Weight reduction.. :rofl:

msommers
05-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Bump

The octane thread reminded me of this. Curious if people still think Shell is the best or if the go elsewhere.

I religiously fill up at Shell but beginning to think I should start using Coop gas since all grades come apparently ethanol free.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Still using Shell 91 and CO-OP diesel.

killramos
05-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Mercedes always fill at Shell.

Jeep gets filled wherever is convenient, I doubt it’s minivan engine cares.

ExtraSlow
05-12-2019, 10:50 AM
I still fill up at whatever station is handy or cheap. Still don't think it makes a difference.

Xtrema
05-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Bump

The octane thread reminded me of this. Curious if people still think Shell is the best or if the go elsewhere.

I religiously fill up at Shell but beginning to think I should start using Coop gas since all grades come apparently ethanol free.

Made the switch to Co-Op for almost 5-6 years ago because they keep closing Shell stations that's convenient to me.

speedog
05-12-2019, 12:49 PM
I still fill up at whatever station is handy or cheap. Still don't think it makes a difference.

Mobil for the PC Points, my beastly Suburban don't care much about quality of gasoline as best as I can tell.

revelations
05-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Yea my 'HondaSpeed' Civic or your 'NISMO' Fit wont care really, unless youre banging off the rev limiters on a track..... haha.

I did notice it on the bikes though - different gas from different stations on the same day, same roads.

tcon
05-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Always fill with Shell 91

Misterman
05-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Bump

"Best" is subjective. If you have a boosted application making big power, you probably care more about high octane than good MPG, so you could consider one of the ethanol 94's as being "best".

If Co-op guarantees no ethanol, then the only difference between them and Shell, is that Shell will have their fancy nitrogen enriched secret formula added. But Co-op will just be your basic government standards 91 octane fuel. If you want to save a few bucks, then nothing wrong with Co-op. MPG should be pretty similar as it has no ethanol.

I'd be pretty leery about the supposed claim of "No Ethanol" from Co-op. 87 octane fuel is mandated to have ethanol in it. Refineries don't even blend an 87 octane fuel, they only blend enough heavy into the gasoline to achieve 82 octane, then get it to 87 by blending in ethanol once it's at storage.

Tik-Tok
05-13-2019, 07:23 AM
They would be required by law to put a "may contain ethanol" sticker on the pumps if there was any ethanol being blended into the fuel. I don't think they'd want to open themselves up to a massive lawsuit and minor fines, just for the sake of a very little known thing such as this, especially when they don't even advertise it.

Misterman
05-13-2019, 07:51 AM
They would be required by law to put a "may contain ethanol" sticker on the pumps if there was any ethanol being blended into the fuel. I don't think they'd want to open themselves up to a massive lawsuit and minor fines, just for the sake of a very little known thing such as this, especially when they don't even advertise it.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm leery about a company bypassing a federal regulation.

Tik-Tok
05-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Doesn't change the fact that I'm leery about a company bypassing a federal regulation.

Understandable. My comfort that they dont, comes from the reason they started was because of the massive lawsuit that happened last time they fucked up their fuel.

That, and I always see a noted difference in fuel economy using their 87 octane vs others which have ethanol.

msommers
05-13-2019, 10:55 AM
If Co-op guarantees no ethanol, then the only difference between them and Shell, is that Shell will have their fancy nitrogen enriched secret formula added. But Co-op will just be your basic government standards 91 octane fuel. If you want to save a few bucks, then nothing wrong with Co-op. MPG should be pretty similar as it has no ethanol.

I'd be pretty leery about the supposed claim of "No Ethanol" from Co-op. 87 octane fuel is mandated to have ethanol in it. Refineries don't even blend an 87 octane fuel, they only blend enough heavy into the gasoline to achieve 82 octane, then get it to 87 by blending in ethanol once it's at storage.

My 4Runner gets 87 from Shell, has since I got it like 7-8 years ago. I think the only way to truly know if Coop 87 gas is ethanol-free would be to test it, but I don't care that much :rofl:

Source was from here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Darell_n
05-13-2019, 12:42 PM
10-12% fuel usage savings using Co-op regular gasoline for the fleet of Chevy van/trucks at the last place I worked for. (compared to any other brand fuel in Calgary). I’d place money on not having ethanol in it.

Misterman
05-14-2019, 06:23 AM
Has anybody argued that Co-op does have ethanol in their fuel?

speedog
05-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Sounds like Coop premium is ethanol free but regular and midgrade may not be http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/PetroSpecs-GASOLINE.pdf

Federal regulations regarding ethanol content are for producers/importers only so it is very possible that Coop's retail offerings are all ethanol free.

tirebob
05-14-2019, 07:10 AM
I always missed Chevron gas from when we lived in BC, but it looks like they are putting one in on the old Fasgas property on 12th St just off Mcknight near my shop! Woot!

Skrilla
05-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Only time I have ever seen a need for Shell in one of my bikes is on the turbo zx14. Every other bike has ran fine on basically anything. my BBC gets shell as well with a booster.

r3ccOs
05-14-2019, 08:41 AM
I think as all motors these days have knock sensors to adjust timing, you just don't find a huge difference between different gas at the same octane

that said, with a 2 stroke high compression (150+ lbs) motor, or a high performance high compression low displacement (say 600 or liter bike super sport) boy... yes, ethanol free runs cooler and more consistent.

mr2mike
05-14-2019, 08:51 AM
I think as all motors these days have knock sensors to adjust timing, you just don't find a huge difference between different gas at the same octane

^This.
I would say anything OEM is not going to break because you pumped 87 in a 91 recommended engine. The KS will take care of it and worst case, you have poor performance which I would bet you wouldn't even notice except on a hot day, jamming on it up a hill off a red light. At best, you'll have some lag which is timing being pulled and if this wasn't a car site, you'd just complain your C300 is getting old.
During your "World Rush Hour Championship" you won't even notice.

sabad66
05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Shell's V-Power formula has been updated as of April. Apparently it has improvements to better protect against gunk, corrosion, wear and friction. Probably next to impossible to notice these improvements as part of daily driving, but i'm sure long term it has to be better for engines.

never
05-14-2019, 09:29 AM
yes, ethanol free runs cooler and more consistent.

How do you figure gas runs cooler than ethanol?

r3ccOs
05-14-2019, 09:38 AM
How do you figure gas runs cooler than ethanol?

not that its nature does, but I do believe that its been an outcome in the case where it may run leaner. Also Ethanol absorbs moisture, which is why most boats should avoid if it sits in a slip

Tik-Tok
05-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Shell's V-Power formula has been updated as of April. Apparently it has improvements to better protect against gunk, corrosion, wear and friction. Probably next to impossible to notice these improvements as part of daily driving, but i'm sure long term it has to be better for engines.

Though considering most people don't keep the same vehicle for much more than 7-8 years, its rather pointless.

never
05-14-2019, 09:45 AM
not that its nature does, but I do believe that its been an outcome in the case where it may run leaner. Also Ethanol absorbs moisture, which is why most boats should avoid if it sits in a slip

Not sure what you're getting at but ethanol runs a lot cooler than gas because it has a higher latent heat of evap. Some guys running E85 or E98 on boosted applications can even get away without an IC whereas you'd definitely need one for a gas car. The difference between E0 and E10 won't be very extreme but you may see a nominal cooling benefit with E10.

cidley69
01-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Anyone done the math to see if the added cost of premium gas actually pays for itself by better mileage compared to regular gas?

ExtraSlow
01-11-2020, 10:35 AM
Most vehicles, probably not.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Anyone done the math to see if the added cost of premium gas actually pays for itself by better mileage compared to regular gas?

Unless your car is tuned for premium, you wont see a difference. My truck tuned for 91 gets better milage while towing than 87 with stock tune. While not towing, it doesnt match the 20c difference.

The best way to get better mileage for cheap is to use 87 octane without ethanol in it.

killramos
01-11-2020, 10:41 AM
I don’t consider premium versus regular to be a choice of which is better fuel economy, put whatever grade is Recommended by the manufacturer for the vehicle.

What you can choose is whether you pick gas with ethanol in it or not which does have a real fuel economy impact.

bjstare
01-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Premium vs. regular has little/nothing to do with fuel economy. Also premium isn't "betteR" for your car (unless your car recommends premium). Any other wives tales I missed?

killramos
01-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Premium vs. regular has little/nothing to do with fuel economy. Also premium isn't "betteR" for your car (unless your car recommends premium). Any other wives tales I missed?

Mothballs in your gas tank? Lol

cidley69
01-11-2020, 11:23 AM
less ethanol = better mileage
less ethanol = premium gas
better mileage = premium gas

msommers
01-11-2020, 11:33 AM
I checked this site again and apparently there are now two Coop has stations that offer ethanol-free regular grade? Seems unlikely that it would only be a couple Coops that did this...

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Tik-Tok
01-11-2020, 11:35 AM
I checked this site again and apparently there are now two Coop has stations that offer ethanol-free regular grade? Seems unlikely that it would only be a couple Coops that did this...

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Coop gas in Calgary hasn't had ethonal in it for over a decade

snowcat
01-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Shell 91 for the bikes and Shell 87 for the car (daily driver, nothing special).

Stateside is chevron/shell, but chevron in SoCal seems to be more abundant.

killramos
01-11-2020, 11:48 AM
less ethanol = better mileage
less ethanol = premium gas

Premium does not always have less ethanol. Calling it premium is actually stupid, so let’s just call it high octane which is what it actually is.

Ethanol has a base octane rating of 100, and is often blended in higher concentrations in gas to raise the octane level of the blend.

In many many cases High Octane (“premium”) gas has more ethanol in it than regular gas because of this. Which could actually mean putting high octane gas in your shut box that calls for regular leads to poorer fuel economy.

ThePenIsMightier
01-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Not in any vehicle I've ever owned and there's virtually zero chance now that major label stations are gouging +20˘/L for high octane when it used to only be 10˘.

r3ccOs
01-11-2020, 01:15 PM
Kendal Jenner

revelations
01-11-2020, 09:17 PM

Never ever put premium gas in a stock vehicle thats designed to run on 87. You will LOSE mileage (could be 2-5%) .

If you want to clean your fuel system better, buy a 10$ bottle of cleaner and rev up the engine.

Graham_A_M
01-12-2020, 10:42 AM
I used to get Coop gas without issue, I switched to Shell since there is zero ethanol, along with the air miles. Been extremely happy with Shell gas, for the bikes and the cars and trucks.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2020, 10:44 AM
I used to get Coop gas without issue, I switched to Shell since there is zero ethanol, along with the air miles. Been extremely happy with Shell gas, for the bikes and the cars and trucks.

Shell 91 octane only. 87 has ethanol.

ExtraSlow
01-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Shell 91 octane only. 87 has ethanol.

Not according to that one beyond guy earlier in the thread.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-12-2020, 11:00 AM
I use CO-OP diesel in my truck, Shell 91 in my car and CO-OP 87 in my company car.

killramos
01-12-2020, 11:02 AM
I use CO-OP diesel in my truck, Shell 91 in my car and CO-OP 87 in my company car.

Dude you need than VPower diesel Yo!

For... reasons...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Dude you need than VPower diesel Yo!

For... reasons...

Probably not worth it on my stock truck, possibly if it was modified more I’d consider it. I use a fuel conditioner in the truck every time I fill up as well.

cidley69
01-12-2020, 11:16 AM
I never knew putting premium gas into engine designed for regular is actually detrimental.

Along these lines, is putting brand of regular fuel without ethanol (rumoured to be Calgary coop gas) bad for vehicles that have E85 sticker on it?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-12-2020, 11:19 AM
I never knew putting premium gas into engine designed for regular is actually detrimental.

Along these lines, is putting brand of regular fuel without ethanol (rumoured to be Calgary coop gas) bad for vehicles that have E85 sticker on it?

No it’s fine. E85 just means it’s an E85 capable system, it doesn’t mean you have to use fuel with ethanol content.

r3ccOs
01-12-2020, 12:03 PM
No itÂ’s fine. E85 just means itÂ’s an E85 capable system, it doesnÂ’t mean you have to use fuel with ethanol content.

only if its again truly designed to run on 87...

Its all about compression and timing to take advantage of the more controlled advantages of higher octane (less prone to pre-ignition). Modern motors with variable valve timing and knock sensors allow an engine's motor to adjust timing to advance timing to capitalize on the benefits.

The ecoboost motor in my truck runs 87 all day long, but "recommends" 91 for towing applications etc... but really the motor programming is tuned for 91 and needs 87 for low load applications, and the knock sensor tells the computer to adjust timing to reduces or prevents knocking/pre-ignition when under moderate/high load. However if there isn't knocking, the computer will proceed with its programming... i.e. higher octane and or say cold temperatures

I am not 100% certain but I would think that there are many cars out there that have a tune that takes advantage of higher octane in order to boost HP/TQ numbers and yet still only require 87 as they would rely on the knock sensor...

That said, its funny how Japanese premium cars with the exact same configuration (well at least based on engine model numbers) will vary stating "premium" on the fuel tank cover, whereby the non-premium version says "regular"

I think this is the case with the ES350 and Avalon, or the 4runner v8 vs the GX470

With cars that don't have any form of variable timing (which really doesn't exist anymore) or are truly truly designed for 87... yes there is ZERO benefit or actually less potential output in putting in a higher rated Octane

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-12-2020, 01:10 PM
only if its again truly designed to run on 87...

Its all about compression and timing to take advantage of the more controlled advantages of higher octane (less prone to pre-ignition). Modern motors with variable valve timing and knock sensors allow an engine's motor to adjust timing to advance timing to capitalize on the benefits.

The ecoboost motor in my truck runs 87 all day long, but "recommends" 91 for towing applications etc... but really the motor programming is tuned for 91 and needs 87 for low load applications, and the knock sensor tells the computer to adjust timing to reduces or prevents knocking/pre-ignition when under moderate/high load. However if there isn't knocking, the computer will proceed with its programming... i.e. higher octane and or say cold temperatures

I am not 100% certain but I would think that there are many cars out there that have a tune that takes advantage of higher octane in order to boost HP/TQ numbers and yet still only require 87 as they would rely on the knock sensor...

That said, its funny how Japanese premium cars with the exact same configuration (well at least based on engine model numbers) will vary stating "premium" on the fuel tank cover, whereby the non-premium version says "regular"

I think this is the case with the ES350 and Avalon, or the 4runner v8 vs the GX470

With cars that don't have any form of variable timing (which really doesn't exist anymore) or are truly truly designed for 87... yes there is ZERO benefit or actually less potential output in putting in a higher rated Octane

I never said that you can ignore the required octane ratings, but you don’t have to seek out fuel with ethanol content specifically on an E85 branded fuel system like GMs etc.

ExtraSlow
01-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Does anyone use gas line antifreeze anymore? It was a big thing when I was younger.
I had a few bottles around, so dumped a bit into the savage Supercar today with $20 of coop 87 fuel.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Does anyone use gas line antifreeze anymore? It was a big thing when I was younger.
I had a few bottles around, so dumped a bit into the savage Supercar today with $20 of coop 87 fuel.

Not much need. Stations sell "winter gas" for half the year. So if you have vehicle you haven't filled up since summer, then it's not a bad idea to pour some in, but otherwise you don't need to.

revelations
01-12-2020, 02:08 PM

I was under the impression that the antifreeze was meant for -40c and especially with carbureated vehicles (i've never had to use it in Calgary). Most gas here is 'winterized' already.

ExtraSlow
01-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Maybe those two reasons are why it's not really used any more. I just happen to have a few bottles in my garage, which I bought several years ago, so I toss one in when it is going to be this cold. Probably doesn't help. You never hear of peoples gas lines freezing anymore.

bjstare
01-12-2020, 02:40 PM
The best way to get better mileage out of your car is to fill it with diesel. Everyone knows diesel gets the best mileage.

firebane
02-16-2020, 07:35 PM
What are the thoughts on Canadian Tire gas? Noticed tonight they are advertising 91 with no ethanol.

Do we know their supplier?

Graham_A_M
02-21-2020, 08:24 AM
Shell and nothing but. I run it in all my cars, bikes and trucks and have had brilliant results. The air miles too make it that much better.

dirtsniffer
02-21-2020, 01:38 PM
shell is such a shit company I would rather fill my vehicles with dirty backcountry gas than support them.

Buy gas refined here by companies who want to be here.

Tik-Tok
02-21-2020, 03:09 PM
I'm going to have to give Coop another call. I think they might have finally started putting ethanol in their regular. My truck (with a 87 tune) is going me some CEL's that indicate the fuel is different.

firebane
02-21-2020, 03:28 PM
I'm going to have to give Coop another call. I think they might have finally started putting ethanol in their regular. My truck (with a 87 tune) is going me some CEL's that indicate the fuel is different.

I would say either crappy winter mix or possible water contamination.

Darell_n
02-21-2020, 04:29 PM

Are they still picketing at the refinery in Regina? Their fuel here might not be made by them at this time.

ThePenIsMightier
02-21-2020, 04:58 PM
shell is such a shit company I would rather fill my vehicles with dirty backcountry gas than support them.

Buy gas refined here by companies who want to be here.

Shell owns and operates Scotford Refinery which is pumping out more than 100,000 bpd. They also own its Chemical Plant attached.

Why so much hate? They didn't BP the Gulf Coast and they didn't Exxon Valdez the Alaskan coast. Aside from that, they're a typical giant energy company, no?

Neil4Speed
02-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Unless your car is tuned for premium, you wont see a difference. My truck tuned for 91 gets better milage while towing than 87 with stock tune. While not towing, it doesnt match the 20c difference.

The best way to get better mileage for cheap is to use 87 octane without ethanol in it.

Very "unacademic", but about 13 years ago when I first started driving my car at the time required Premium (Acura Legend Coupe). I tried Regular a few times (as I was a poor student), and found that the added mileage I was getting with Premium justified the cost. Keep in mind though, the differential was far less back then. Back then the price difference between Reg. and Premium was <10%, now its about 15% or more I believe.

The TLX required premium, but I always put in Regular... the fuel mileage was still great so I never experimented... It was also a lease so...:dunno:

Tik-Tok
02-22-2020, 09:16 AM
At our altitude, and without forced induction, 87 is almost the same as 91 is at sea level, so you can definitely get away with it, so long as it's good quality 87.

Sentry
02-22-2020, 10:28 AM
Shell 91 if you want straight gasoline, Husky 94 if youre ok with an ethanol blend. Personally I run H94 as much as I can in my boosted cars. I gave some G&B 94 a go as well and the Subaru seemed to like it, which is a 10:1 compression engine running 13psi of boost.

Maxt
02-22-2020, 11:22 AM
I resurrected an old truck of mine this last week. I only ever ran co-op gas in this truck because of where I lived and the co-op rebate. It's been sitting with this gas in it for about 6 years now. I put a battery in it and fired it up in -15 deg c weather. Figure it would have turned to some kind of jelly by now.

suntan
09-14-2020, 09:35 AM
Bump.

Are all Co-op gas grades still 0% ethanol?

Tik-Tok
09-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Bump.

Are all Co-op gas grades still 0% ethanol?

Still no "may contain ethanol" stickers on the pumps on MacLeod and Deerfoot Meadows locations. They're legally required if they do.