PDA

View Full Version : Criminal background check

Sophal
05-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Currently i am going thru a hiring process with a company I've been trying to get on with for a few years now. A few days ago i received a call from the hiring manager saying that they are happy with my qualifications and experience in my field and would like to move forward with the hiring process. One of their processes is a criminal background check and I'm unsure of what they will find.

12 years ago (back in grade 11 high school) i was charged and found in guilt of "possession of stolen property". I have been reading and hearing mixed information about how documents being destroyed/sealed under the young offenders act once an individual turns 18 and case goes into non disclosure.

My question is will my one guilt charge as a minor will show up in the background search? Also when i filled out the consent form to proceed with the background check i did disclose that i had a prior conviction as a minor, so my second question is do i really have to disclose that information?

swak
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
It might show up, but if it was that far back, i honestly doubt they'd care.

Sophal
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I would like to add, the position does not require me to be bondable.

Weapon_R
05-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Might want to wait for Dexlargo to chime in

ITR_typeR
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/yj-jj/information/rec-dos.html

Cos
05-10-2012, 05:52 PM

LadyLuck
05-10-2012, 06:01 PM
From what I remember... background checks do not say what you have been charged with in the past, it just comes back negative. If it does, your employer will probably ask you about it.

turbotrip
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
it will not show up, and u did not need to disclose the conviction

Tram Common
05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
it will not show up, and u did not need to disclose the conviction

x2

Sophal
05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Ahh crap. You guys think I shot myself in the foot for disclosing it?

Tram Common
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Sophal

Tough to say, I know some employers consider any criminal record at all to be essentially the worst thing in the whole fucking world no matter how long ago it occurred or how totally irrelevant it is to the position you are applying.

... others have a head on their shoulders... just hope for the latter.

pea_soup
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
No you did not. There are several types of criminal checks they can do.

Most companies do simple checks which will tell them if you were ever convicted of a crime within Provincial Court or the Court of Queen's bench.

IT WILL NOT & CANNOT inform them of anything you were charged with in Youth Court. PERIOD.

The only way it has any effect on you is if your sentence was transferred to provincial court.

Ie., you served time in an adult prison and not a youth facility.

You can disclose the information to the employer but also tell them that nothing should show up on the report. Honesty NEVER hurts.

I've gone through hiring processes with the Calgary Police Service that are over the top. Of course they will ask you to disclose anything you may or may not have done.

In this case the check will be negative unless as I said, the sentence was transferred to adult court. I highly doubt this is the case as you probably were sentenced to serve community time most likely.

I worked in Provincial Court for some time and know this inside out.

Rat Fink
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Hallowed_point
05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
If I read your application and you disclosed that info to me, I'd take the opportunity to thank you for your honesty. :dunno:

Me too...you did the right thing :thumbsup:

tom_9109
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Were you convicted or did they give you a 'conditional' or 'absolute' discharge since it was a first offense?

turbotrip
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sophal

in my opinion yes you did, but nothing you can do now but hope

Sophal
05-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the info. I guess just wait and see what happens

G
05-11-2012, 08:27 AM
The whole notion of the young offenders act is for this exact purpose. Just because you fucked up once while being young and stupid it shouldnt screw you for life. It will not show up trust me :D

pea_soup
05-11-2012, 08:59 AM
A sentence is still a conviction just in various sources, whether he was given probation, community service time or a given amount of time in a youth facility they would all be convictions as a youth.

They would not appear as it was not handed out in Adult Provincial Court.

Heck you'd be able to pass the check for the police so I don't see how any employer could reject you.