PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have huge ants too?

JDMMAN
05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
So does anyone have a similar issue with large ants? these are ~1cm in length and dark brown/black. I've seen more and more around my yard and in one instance there was one in the master bedroom, don't know where the heck it came from.

Ven
05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/128/622/KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE-FUNNY-FORUM-PICS.jpg

cancer man
05-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Buy some borax and mix 1/4 borax and 3/4 icing sugar problem solved.

Kloubek
05-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I have no idea how making cakes is going to solve his ant problem...

cancer man
05-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I have no idea how making cakes is going to solve his ant problem...

Pet friendly and lethal to ants.:devil:

eblend
05-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't have ants, but noticed I have a fuckton of lady bugs this year....like a billion of them on my lawn, anyone else?

C_Dave45
05-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Don't have ants, but noticed I have a fuckton of lady bugs this year....like a billion of them on my lawn, anyone else?
Same. Have always had thousands of them. When putting in new windows, I took off the siding and the wall was just covered in them.
But I don't mind ladybugs. I feel sorry for 'em, cuz their house is on fire :nut:

ipeefreely
05-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Tons up in Edmonton too! :nut:

I mowed my lawn yesterday... there was three or four every step I took! :eek:

Doesn't seem to be as many ants this year though... :dunno:

[Yu]
05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I believe those might be carpenter ants. That species commonly looks for wet/moist wood so it can easily tunnel through it. It doesn't feed on the wood like termites, but actually lives inside it. Perhaps they might have already infiltrated some structural support areas that lead into the house?

I can also be totally wrong though, but when I was watching "Holmes on Homes" (this guy does huge as renos) they found ants around too. It wasn't until they started doing demo inside the house, that they discovered that the ants have already tunneled into the house.

JDMMAN
05-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I really hope they haven't tunnelled their way inside the house. That would suck.

kvg
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I have tons of ants and lady bugs

[Yu]
05-13-2012, 05:13 PM
You mention you found one in your master bedroom. Perhaps do a quick inspection yourself in that room and specifically around the walls to see there are any signs of unusual moisture.

Also you could do a quick walk around your outside and take note of anywhere that might seem wetter than usual. Outside, meaning the walls of the house of course.

Once again, perhaps these ants are just living somewhere near by where there is moist wood and they happened to travel all the way to your home.

My neighbor had a garden in which wooden beams were constructed together as walls to hold the soil in. I noticed these huge ants were everywhere, and didn't know why I didn't see any of these just across the street (where I live).

The wooden structure just soaked up water, since it is outside, and started to rot. It is when the wood is rotting that these ants can tunnel it.

Maybe ask some exterminators around to see if they do free quick inspections? Also, I don't know how long it takes for wood to rot. But I would guess quite a while, so I would assume this happens more in old houses.

ipeefreely
05-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
You mention you found one in your master bedroom. Perhaps do a quick inspection yourself in that room and specifically around the walls to see there are any signs of unusual moisture.

Also you could do a quick walk around your outside and take note of anywhere that might seem wetter than usual. Outside, meaning the walls of the house of course.

The ant might have got a ride in on someone's cloths or shoes... but better safe than sorry.

I had a bunch of ants (in my yard) the last two years and once and a while I'd find one downstairs on the carpet. I would always check around and never find anymore.

nzwasp
05-14-2012, 08:38 AM
I have noticed a tonne of ants in the backyard this year, mostly in our compost bins, and on our mulch terrace. I placed some ant traps that are supposed to help but they didnt do anything.

gretz
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
bees... a shit-tonne of huge bees... They are pretty massive too. They look like bumbles but they are proportional. Fawk is their buzzing ever loud and annoying (in the neighbors trees, no nests yet, just pollinating I hope)

CapnCrunch
05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Home Depot sells this foam spray that you can put down into their dirt that absolutely kills the whole nest. If you can find the nest...

DEATH2000
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Home Depot sells this foam spray that you can put down into their dirt that absolutely kills the whole nest. If you can find the nest...
As in spray ON the dirt, or dig till you find nest and spray nest?

gretz
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
It comes with a nozzle like wd40... insert near or into ant hill, start squeezing / get the foam flowing, then press it into the nest... it works pretty badass

2002civic
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
No ants, but TONS of spiders in Cranston.

DENZILDON
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
^ same in copperfield. Just sprayed Spider spray yesterday and I can still some of them going around.

CapnCrunch
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by gretz
It comes with a nozzle like wd40... insert near or into ant hill, start squeezing / get the foam flowing, then press it into the nest... it works pretty badass

Yup. Spray, wait 20 minutes, then tower over and laugh at all the ant carcasses. They don't come back either.