PDA

View Full Version : Creekside Rona Closing

charlie2
05-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Found out today that Creekside Rona on Symons Valley Road is closing its doors June 24th. They are moving all inventory to Crowfoot and Sunridge. Totally sucks!

Anyways, one of the girls there said something else was moving in, but she didn't know what. Any rumors or ideas? My guess is it will sit empty for a while, or maybe a walmart??

Marsh
05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes it is a Wal-Mart moving in.

Kloubek
05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Well that sucks. I visit that store often.

I guess having a Walmart will be alright... but I really rarely ever shop there...

Cos
05-12-2012, 09:32 PM

black13
05-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Well jeese no surprise there, the whole deep NW area has just exploded with business development when there is barely any houses north of them. I can't see how any of those businesses are making money.

You got Beacon hill on the left side which is bad enough, symon valley in the middle, and Harvest hills complex on the east. With Cross Iron a little further east. All within a 10 min drive and similar stores competing. In fact two Home Depots and two Canadian Tires.

And Wall-mart there really? There's one just by Royal Oak which is less than 10 min away with stoney.

schocker
05-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by black13
And Wall-mart there really? There's one just by Royal Oak which is less than 10 min away with stoney.
You have northland down shaghanappi and even the deerfoot one is not too far. Kind of sucky, rona was nice to have nearby to grab crap quick.

bignerd
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
And Airdrie as well...

CapnCrunch
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by black13

They've got one planned for the west side of Sage Hill too.

D'z Nutz
05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Are there any sales or clearance items there?

sputnik
05-14-2012, 07:58 AM
This was in the news months ago...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/rona-other-retailers-thinking-outside-the-big-box/article2347286/

Home improvement retailer Rona Inc.’s decision on Thursday to shift to smaller stores from big-box outlets – closing 10 of the underperforming large stores altogether, downsizing 13 others and adding 25 smaller shops – reflects a wider move among retailers: They’re rethinking the big-box store as they race to squeeze more business into fewer aisles.

kvg
05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
The Zellers in Deer Run is closing and Walmart is opening there too.

topsecret
05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Are there any sales or clearance items there?

all the plants are 50% off and some other stuff is on sale, I was told after may long is when they will start blowing all the stuff out....There was no crazy deals when I was there last week.

schocker
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

They've got one planned for the west side of Sage Hill too.
They have said that for years though. Only now are they clearing the land and it looks like it is going to be the la caille, 'sage hill farms'. I would hate to have a walmart there though, especially if rona is turning into a walmart and then royal oak has a walmart. It can't make sense to have so many within such a small distance.

edit:
hmm, this is quite the ambitious plan
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/newcondos/story.html?id=437a444d-ee4d-4290-9d1f-92d7baba5782
Already 5 years old though.

Maybelater
05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Ugh, I hate Walmart.

clem24
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kvg
The Zellers in Deer Run is closing and Walmart is opening there too.

You sure it won't be a Target? The size of Zellers stores doesn't really fit Walmart's profile. Thank goodness Zellers is disappearing.

mrsingh
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Dammit that Rona was so convenient for everytime I messed up something around my house.

nismodrifter
05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by clem24

You sure it won't be a Target? The size of Zellers stores doesn't really fit Walmart's profile. Thank goodness Zellers is disappearing.

Its 100% going to be a Wal-mart. There was a pretty big story about it in the news papers about a month ago talking about how Wal-mart is going to be opening tons of smaller locations across Canada, 40 of which were formerly Zellers stores.

Masked Bandit
05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by clem24

The story I heard was that Target only wanted to be in the locations that were close to a Walmart, like Shawnessy. Deer Run is pretty isolated, just right for a Walmart Jr.

D'z Nutz
06-11-2012, 09:25 AM
FYI, they're clearing everything out now at either 25% off or 50% off depending on the item. I didn't get a chance to walk through the whole place to gauge what's left.

98brg2d
06-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I heard the Deer Ridge Wal-Mart will be an overstock/clearance location.

Sucks about the big box stores closing (hardware mostly, don't care about Zeller's or the like).

masoncgy
06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Is that old, sketchy Wal-Mart on Southland/Macleod still open too?

Seems crazy to have one in Deer Ridge when Deerfoot Meadows is so close.

R!zz0
07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Waking up an old thread here.

Anyone know what's all that construction on sage meadows?
I heard Walmart and a movie theater will be coming there.

bigbadboss101
07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I have noticed traffic out of Sage has been quite heavy. Not sure if that is a good thing if that's the only way in from the South.

schocker
07-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Waking up an old thread here.

Anyone know what's all that construction on sage meadows?
I heard Walmart and a movie theater will be coming there.

I thought it was just houses and such. Commercial development was supposed to be up at sage hill farms. They were working full tilt with tons of equipment for a few weeks, built that large dirt hill then stopped :rofl:

Anybody know what that is being built next to BP's though?

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I have noticed traffic out of Sage has been quite heavy. Not sure if that is a good thing if that's the only way in from the South.
What do you mean, it seems about the same?

topsecret
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I thought it was just houses and such. Commercial development was supposed to be up at sage hill farms. They were working full tilt with tons of equipment for a few weeks, built that large dirt hill then stopped :rofl:

Anybody know what that is being built next to BP's though?

What do you mean, it seems about the same?

bldg next to bp's is a liquor store from what I have heard!

schocker
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by topsecret
ugh, was hoping for a restaurant. We already have the coop liquor store which I would assume would have more neat things.

Also, starbucks closes at 9 now, wtf

bigbadboss101
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Not enough business?! A Community Natural Health Food place would be cool.

schocker
07-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Not enough business?! A Community Natural Health Food place would be cool.
It is always busy. Sat on the patio and watched tons of people try to get in last night :rofl:

redevil
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by topsecret

Another liquor store to compete with the co-op liquor store that has a lot for selection? I was hoping it was a Tim's or some other restaurant going in there. Hope that it's not a liquor store.

Adachi
07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Really hope a tims opens up so when I go to work at 4am in the morning, I don't have to go down the ramp to the one at Harvest Hills.

schocker
07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by redevil

Another liquor store to compete with the co-op liquor store that has a lot for selection? I was hoping it was a Tim's or some other restaurant going in there. Hope that it's not a liquor store.
The coop one is great, tons of selection even though the store is not that big. Tims though :barf:
Gimme some booster juice :D
Wish we had non gross fast food also in the area.

toastgremlin
07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
It'd be nice if they'd get a few more auto parts stores up here.

schocker
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
It'd be nice if they'd get a few more auto parts stores up here.
None ever have what I am looking for anyways so I end up ordering online :rofl:
Cdn tire at beacon hill is handy to have close though.

denofslack
01-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Drove past this last night... Big signs up saying Reno Depot opening soon...

Alterac
01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/rona-to-expand-in-2015-by-opening-reno-depot-stores-in-alberta-ontario-1.2096600

MONTREAL -- Rona plans to reopen a couple of shuttered stores next year as the home renovation retailer, sporting improved results, begins to export its Quebec-based Reno-Depot big box banner to Ontario and Alberta.

A Rona store in Calgary North that closed two years ago will reopen as a Reno-Depot, making use of 6,300 square metres of space from the old store, with the remaining 1,350 square metres being sublet. The other Reno-Depot will open in Aurora, Ont., at a location closed last year.

Meanwhile, a former Rona regional store will open as a larger Reno-Depot in Drummondville, Que., and smaller Rona stores will open in Halifax and British Columbia. An new affiliated store will open in Rockland, Ont.

"We're excited because we are talking about expansion here...disciplined expansion," CEO Robert Sawyer said Tuesday during a conference call after reporting the company's first boost in traffic in eight years.

"We are also currently analyzing other opportunities in regions where we must protect and reinforce our market share or where the investment is justified by a strong growth potential and good return on invested capital."

Sawyer said the new Reno-Depot stores will offer everyday low prices and targeted promotions.

"We are not coming into these markets by trying to knock down everybody we just think that in these two places there's room for us," he told analysts.

"Our Reno-Depot is different than our competitors in these environments and hopefully we will attract customers in our stores."

The store openings end a couple of years of downsizing that saw the closing of 17 unprofitable stores since 2012, including 11 over the past year in Ontario and Western Canada. The closures have produced $110 million in annualized cost savings and eliminated 1,000 front-line and management positions.

Same-store sales increased three per cent in the most recent quarter, including a two per cent gain in retail and 8.3 per cent in the distribution segment.

Sawyer said store traffic and the size of purchases -- or basket size -- increased in the quarter, validating Rona's recovery strategy.

Rona said the sales were up despite the stagnant economy and sustained pressure on housing starts in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

The Reno-Depot expansion comes after the company updated its 16 big box stores by redesigning the shopping experience and adopting a procurement policy to ensure the right amount of merchandise is always in stock.

The company said its profit surged nearly 30 per cent to $38 million or 32 cents per share for the period ended Sept. 28. That compared with $30 million or 25 cents per share a year ago.

Excluding one-time items, adjusted profits increased 28 per cent to $38.5 million or 33 cents per share, a penny below analyst estimates of 34 cents per share.

Revenue for the national home-improvement chain was $1.167 billion, mostly stable compared with $1.169 billion a year before, despite the closure of underperforming stores that began in June 2013.

Derek Dley of Canaccord Genuity reiterated his sell rating with a $12 target price after the company resorted to lowering its gross margins to drive sales.

"The company's repositioning of Totem stores to Rona in the west and Reno-Depot stores in Quebec had a positive impact. However, the company experienced a highly competitive pricing environment, and elected to reduce gross margins to drive sales," he wrote in a report.

Gross margins as a percentage of revenue declined to 25.2 per cent from 27.2 per cent. That was more than offset by reductions in costs from store closures over the last two years.

Adjusted pre-tax operating earnings (EBITDA) increased to nearly $84 million or a 7.2 per cent margin, up from $70.7 million or 6.1 per cent margin a year ago. The increase includes $11.4 million from higher sales and lower costs at its operations, and $2.8 million from underperforming stores. Adjusted retail EBITDA increased to 8.6 per cent.

Rona is also renewing its share buyback program. It spent $77.4 million to purchase nearly 6.1 million shares in its previous normal course issuers bid, paying a volume weighted price of $12.69 per share. The new buyback program, starting Nov. 18, will give Rona permission -- but not an obligation -- to repurchase up 9.2 million common shares.

Rona's net debt has fallen to $188.4 million from $347.8 million a year earlier.

On the Toronto Stock Exchange, Rona's shares closed up 19 cents at $13.85 on Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/rona-to-expand-in-2015-by-opening-reno-depot-stores-in-alberta-ontario-1.2096600#ixzz3QK9nPTjX

UndrgroundRider
01-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Rona better get its pricing in-line with the other big box stores. That's what drove this location to close last time. Two home depots less than 10 minutes away for half the price on the same parts.

Tik-Tok
01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
Rona better get its pricing in-line with the other big box stores. That's what drove this location to close last time. Two home depots less than 10 minutes away for half the price on the same parts.

Home Depot prices VS Rona is the exact same as Co-Op vs Safeway. Somethings are more expensive in one store, other things in the other store, while most products are pretty much the same within a percent or two.

Darell_n
01-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Regardless of prices, Home Depot and Lowes sell mostly garbage whereas Rona sells 100% garbage. This is why I won't shop there even if their prices stop being the highest.

TomcoPDR
01-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Regardless of prices, Home Depot and Lowes sell mostly garbage whereas Rona sells 100% garbage. This is why I won't shop there even if their prices stop being the highest.

:rofl: so true. And from my rona shopping experience most of their employees have this "kill me now" work ethics

bigbadboss101
01-31-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't know if this store will last. I would rather have a Whole Foods or Sunterra, something like that.

Thaco
01-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Home Depot prices VS Rona is the exact same as Co-Op vs Safeway. Somethings are more expensive in one store, other things in the other store, while most products are pretty much the same within a percent or two. yeah i go to all 3 and buy from whoever has it on sale.

spikerS
01-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

:rofl: so true. And from my rona shopping experience most of their employees have this "kill me now" work ethics

Lowes is the worst. The employees there are already dead, and look like zombies. Ask a question and they just look at you and grunt.

Neil4Speed
01-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Being as someone in the know, do you have suggestions for alternatives.