PDA

View Full Version : Need To Scap My Shell

1JZ-Soarer
05-13-2012, 12:41 AM
So my soarer got rear ended by a city truck 2 weeks back and now its written off ive stripped it and now its just a shell in my garage on jack stands is there somebody or some place i can call like a scrap yard that would come pick it up and just take it? I was thinking pick and pull but ive heard they only accept full cars not sure if true or not though.

frozenrice
05-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Just leave it in the street or back alley and eventually someone will call city bylaw. You get a warning, then a ticket and then eventually they come and tow it away.
Problem solved.

A friend of mine did this and the ticket was only like $75.00 or something. Cheaper than a tow truck. :D

spacerz
05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Call Dave at 403-690-2295. He takes "shells" for free.

Modelexis
05-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Usually they won't take it unless it's on some wheels.
I had a car with wheels on the back but jackstands on the front on my parking pad and the guy hooked it up and dragged the front end all down the driveway (crushing on of my jackstands) before he was able to get the front in the air.

HomespunLobster
05-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I've had 'shells' picked up.

The one I had body panels missing left and right. Still had the rims on the car, but we pushed it out of the garage, he picked it up and I took my rims back. Was one of those free scrap car removals.

spacerz
05-13-2012, 07:23 PM
No, they will take vehicles without wheels or complete suspensions for that matter. I have parted out many cars, and not one has had any suspension, motor, body panels, etc. left on it.

To prevent damage to tools and your garage floor/driveway, what you are supposed to do is literally place the car onto a couple peices of plywood laid out on the garage floor (don't leave it on jackstands). That way, the car slides on the plywood, or with the plywood, rather than on your garage floor when they yank it on to the flatbed.

Modelexis
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by spacerz
No, they will take vehicles without wheels or complete suspensions for that matter.

This statement assumes that you know every junk hauler in Calgary and are aware of their policies and know what actions the guy will take during the pickup.
They're all different, some are careful, some don't give a shit. It makes a big difference who you call.

spacerz
05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
You got me there, bad choice of words. I was simply speaking of my experience with who I have used for picking up scrap vehicles.

kevie88
05-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I paid 75$ to a flat deck guy I ran into on the street. They will definitely pick up a shell with no wheels or suspension.

Maybelater
05-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Just leave it in the street or back alley and eventually someone will call city bylaw. You get a warning, then a ticket and then eventually they come and tow it away.
Problem solved.

A friend of mine did this and the ticket was only like $75.00 or something. Cheaper than a tow truck. :D

lol