PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental Insurance

Diesel2005
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
For those that have rented a car for more than 7 days.

Did you get insurance?

We are planning to drive down to Vancouver and just curious if our personal insurance will cover and damages/accidents to the rental car if it occurs.

I'm asking this because the insurance the car rental company sells is expensive $30/day. It's more expensive than renting the car itself.

adidas
05-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Call ur credit card company and see if you are already covered when paying for the rental with their card. You could also call ur own insurance company and see if you have car rental insurance through them.

C_Dave45
05-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Call your current vehicle insurance company. I put an additional ryder on mine that covers ANY rental vehicle and it was dirt cheap. Like $30 for the year, IIRC.

J-hop
05-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Yea it is really dependent on you insurance company. I'm with TD MM, full collision on both our cars and I'm covered for rentals at no extra cost. Just call them and make sure your policy covers it. Your credit card might but a lot of them specifically say in the fine print that they don't. I'm pretty sure my visa does NOT cover rentals

Edit: yea just double checked, my TD drivers rewards visa does Not cover me for rentals, go figure haha.

Also Just checked and from TD's site it looks like you don't get liability coverage on any of their cards (that includes the gold visa mentioned below), so you have to go obtain liability from your auto insurance anyways or purchase liability coverage.

So looks like in the end credit card rental insurance is useless.

max_boost
05-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Pretty sure all Gold Visa's includes car rental insurance as one of the benefits (assuming you have one)

Nismorphed
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Credit cards cover up to a full size car I'm pretty sure.

guessboi
05-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Credit Card Insurance does not cover third party liability coverage...only physical damage to the car you are renting up to a maximum value. You own policy will coverage PL/PD.

If you have rental car coverage (SEF27) under your own car insurance policy, it transfers your section C coverage / deductible to the rental vehicle up to a maximum value. You own policy will coverage PL/PD.

Keep in mind if you only have comp and not collision in your own car insurance, you only get comp coverage for the rental with this rider.

Diesel2005
05-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Another question.

Can GDL driver license be able to drive on highways?

Like calgary to vancouver.

I was going to stop by the registry today but all closed. I need to know asap.

e31
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Not in your rental car scenario. They usually have age restrictions, and you must declare the drivers at the time of booking the car. If they are driving and something happens (unbeknownst to rental/insurance), you'll probably end up in deep shit.

Diesel2005
05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by e31
Not in your rental car scenario. They usually have age restrictions, and you must declare the drivers at the time of booking the car. If they are driving and something happens (unbeknownst to rental/insurance), you'll probably end up in deep shit.

we're all over 25 though.

guessboi
05-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I get asked this a lot about GDL and class 5.

Check out AMA's link - difference between class 7, GDL and class 5.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/driver-education/albertas-graduated-driver-licensing-gdl

Diesel2005
05-13-2012, 06:32 PM
You have a pm