PDA

View Full Version : (Somewhat) Official Biking Thread 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Vagabond142
05-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Much like in the past few years, a thread to post your adventures, routes, discuss the lovely weather, talk about good trails and bad, and generally have a good time :D :burnout:

I'll start us off!

I just did my recon ride for the year, bike survived winter storage with expected air loss from the tires and some minor brake tension tweaks. Did about 45 minutes all said, from Mt MacKenzie Dr and 130th SE, down the Fish Creek Park section of the bow trail to Marquis De Lorne-ish, turned about, and pounded it back home along Mt MacKenzie Dr.

Downside: My first bonk of the year. Got home and immediately doubled over on the grass. Legs were SHOT and I felt :barf: . Ah, the joys of Sunday rides :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(And I'm nursing about 2 liters of water right now to rehydrate, got a nice big water bottle)

megavolt
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Been on a few good rides this year training for the RtCC.

Points of reference: Work is downtown 5th and 6th SW. Home is Temple (N.E.)

First was from work down the Bow river paths to the north end of Fish Creek, turn around, back up Bow, north along Nose creek and home. 50KM

Second was from work down elbow river paths, south side of reservoir, down west side of city, east through Fish Creek, back up Bow pathways, Nose Creek and home. 72KM

Third was from work south along bow pathways all the way to 22X, west through fish creek making sure to do some of the huge hills along the south side including the 'Hill of Death' up to Evergreen (couldn't make it all the way up, gears too high). North along the west side of city, through Weaselhead and around north side of reservoir, up Elbow river paths, east along Bow, north along Nose Creek and home. 88KM

Last one was Okotoks to High River and back. 45KM

The last one sure did wake me up to how different riding on the highway is. A lot easier when it's flat but the hills can be LONG. :)

This is the first time in my life I've been giving any mind to my cadence. I'm trying to keep it at 80-90, which seems good considering I used to ride at around 50-60.

gretz
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
West on elizabeth street and towards millarville... 10km hill to start lol... Very nice ride / has some challenging sections.

What is everyone riding?

HHURICANE1
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
So far this year I'm just shy of 1100 km.
90-100 cadence
Average speed ~28 kph
Longest ride 80 Km, averaging 40+ when I go out.
I'm trying to get to the point of being able to do the Banff Granfondo without blowing up. :D

swak
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
So far this year I'm just shy of 1100 km.
90-100 cadence
Average speed ~28 kph
Longest ride 80 Km, averaging 40+ when I go out.
I'm trying to get to the point of being able to do the Banff Granfondo without blowing up. :D

Stats look rad man!

You'll do fine for Banff NO ISSUE!

We should get some beyond road rides going...
You gotta extend those 80k rides though man!

Do you do the bragg coffee shop loop? If so, go even further (personal fav. ride) out to Elbow Falls and back)

Amazing road.

HHURICANE1
05-15-2012, 11:14 PM
The 80k was Bragg Creek. Hoping to get out that way again this weekend (hurricane winds permitting). Want to do at least 90k this time. Just remember, I'm just getting into cycling again after a 20 year lay off. I haven't been at it for a full year yet and I'm not as young as I once was. :( Did another 51k tonite though and weather permitting I'm hoping to get out with the Bow Cycle No-drop ride tomorrow.

swak
05-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Awesome.

Ill likely be riding that one too (Mark puts on good rides)...
Were you there last week "with the freezing rains?"

Just saying, if you can do 80, you definitely have a good endurance base... You'll do rad man.
Is this your 2nd year riding?

HHURICANE1
05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Just coming up on my 1st anniversary in June.
No I haven't gone out with Bow yet, the weather's been crappy and I don't like freezing and being wet. :thumbsdow Maybe tonite if the weather holds.

gretz
05-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Im doing the High River to Okotoks (2A), back down the dump road, up towards longview, back up 514 into High River... Should be about 60kms, aiming for around 3.5 hours.

msommers
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Went out for my first ride yesterday off the trainer, the garmin computer I have is great! I'm trying to register to use the Garmin Connection feature but registration seems buggered.

40km distance
~30km/hr avg speed
~90-95 cadence

Went from the zoo up to hidden valley, turned around by accident since the path looped and then headed back. Beautiful day yesterday.

I really need to go out and practice the rolling hills (unfortunately). I'm a little skeptical of me completing the RtCC without dying :rofl:

bspot
05-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Anyone been out to Jumpingpound yet? I'm wondering if any of the mtb trails are drying up (for now until the rain comes... :( )

GreyFox
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Been out on a few rides this year only...really need to get into the swing of things here as soon as possible. Problem is I'm really a fair weather rider so there hasn't really been a ton of opportunities to get out this year so far.

Did downtown to Auburn Bay about 3 weeks ago, just followed the paths down the bow.... one way only so it was only about 30km.

Did a ride from my work around Edmonton Tr and 16th ave and followed the nose creek pathway all the way north to just past that golf course in country hills. Then doubled back and passed through downtown and started to follow the Bow back down south until just after the bird sanctuary then turned around and went back home dowtown. That was about 50km.

I need to get some highway riding in for sure, I've never been out to Bragg Creek or anything like that. I'm moving to Auburn Bay at the end of June so hopefully I'll get the chance to get in about 60km/day just getting to/from work.

bigboom
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Went out for my first ride yesterday off the trainer, the garmin computer I have is great! I'm trying to register to use the Garmin Connection feature but registration seems buggered.

40km distance
~30km/hr avg speed
~90-95 cadence

Went from the zoo up to hidden valley, turned around by accident since the path looped and then headed back. Beautiful day yesterday.

I really need to go out and practice the rolling hills (unfortunately). I'm a little skeptical of me completing the RtCC without dying :rofl:

Sign up for Strava instead of Garmin Connect. Since I started using Strava I've really had no need for garmin connect other than to update the software.

anyone doing the bow cycle ride tonight?

Vagabond142
05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
AFAIK, the trails in Kananaskis are still technically "slippy," but are mostly dry. Then again, we're expecting about 10 cm of rain over three days according to my weather tracker on my phone, so not too sure if they'll be dry for the long weekend.

As to what I'm riding, my reliable ol' McKinley whatchamacallit :P I still have no idea of the model number. Double suspended, front and back, with nice spring on the rear shock. Front needs new forks, though, the hydraulics compress to near bottoming out when I get on the bike (slowly been going that way for a few years)

If the weather turns out sunny, I will probably do a second, longer recon ride Friday after work and then pound out a full Bow Trail from Fish Creek to Bowness and back over the weekend. That's my favorite weekend ride, except I used to do it Bowness to FC to Bowness XD And I can also track it with my new phone (gotta love GPS enabled phones) and finally get a true, accurate ride distance.

Question for the southies: Any good hills within an hour's ride of MacKenzie Towne? I want to start hill sprinting again, but the South East of Calgary is flatter than Kristin Stewart's acting skills

msommers
05-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Wicked, this is exactly what I was hoping to use! :thumbsup:

swak
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Wicked, this is exactly what I was hoping to use! :thumbsup:

Another one for you guys to "ponder" with....

www.trainingpeaks.com

Best system for data collection and analysis to date (IMO).
Shows overlapping charts (ie for cadence, speed, hr, terrain).
and goals/progress etc...

Ive personally improved aspects of cycling for myself (ie. look at results in a race and see where i went wrong and where i can improve - and where). As when i first started, i would lose a tonn of speed in corners (for a TT or something) then i'd have to make up for it and sprint on the straights to gain that speed... Thus wasting energy from basically failing at proper cornering haha...

Just something to keep in mind. :thumbsup:

superflychief
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Question for the southies: Any good hills within an hour's ride of MacKenzie Towne? I want to start hill sprinting again, but the South East of Calgary is flatter than Kristin Stewart's acting skills [/B][/QUOTE]

Head out to Bragg Creek and take the highway out towards Elbow Falls and past the falls. There are some crazy hills "relatively speaking" to work out on. Some really fast descents though. I hit 96km/h on my bike out there once.

98type_r
05-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by swak

Do you do the bragg coffee shop loop? If so, go even further (personal fav. ride) out to Elbow Falls and back)

Amazing road.

One of my favorite rides.

brucebanner
05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Alright, so I have to travel back to work today. Which means I'm done riding for this last week. Picked up the bike Tuesday night, got out to ride on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Today. Put a total of 120km, with 40 of them on Saturday.

Very happy with the bike I picked up. Sounds as though I have quite a bit of riding to go through to catch up with you guys though!

gretz
05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by gretz
Im doing the High River to Okotoks (2A), back down the dump road, up towards longview, back up 514 into High River... Should be about 60kms, aiming for around 2.5 hours.

Doing pretty good... Got a few 45km rides in this weekend, did the bragg to elbow, as well as high river to okotoks loop...

45km rides, averaging 26.5km/h, 80-90 cadence > Starting to see some positive improvements

megavolt
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
What a weekend...

82km on Sunday (16Ave/68St NE out to Strathmore and back on the #1) - got a good sunburn on my legs (I remembered to sunscreen my upper body, completely forgot about my legs).

105km yesterday (22X to spruce meadows, south to Okotoks, east through Black Diamond and Turner Valley, north on 22 to 22X and back to the car - with a little detour to Bullhead Rd - when we found out it was TsuTina land, we were going to follow it to anderson and south on 37St). Don't think I saw the sun all day but it eventually warmed up (we started at 7:30am).

With this long back-to-back ride I'm pretty confident I won't die during the ride to conquer cancer.

bspot
05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
In an attempt to force more mtb discussion in here, I rode The Johnson and Kloosifier out by Invermere this weekend. Both super flowy and a lot of fun, but not overly technical. I took my crash for the season early this year... haha.

To keep the road bikers happy, I rode 60km around the lake on my full susp 29er with 2.3" tires on it... haha. I got a lot of weird looks from road bikers, and almost died keeping up with my friends on their road bikes (who had luckily done about 85km and were a lot more tired when we met up to make it even possible for me to draft them all the way home) :rofl:

phreezee
05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Any of you guys have Garmin's? It would be cool to share routes on Garmin Connect.

swak
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Any of you guys have Garmin's? It would be cool to share routes on Garmin Connect.

I have a garmin, but really dislike the garmin software.... Not much for routes from what ive seen on there either.

phreezee
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
^^ I don't like it either, but I like using http://connect.garmin.com

eg:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175125354

swak
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
^^^ You Stud!!

Nice work!!!
... how'd you place? I didn't make it out to Edmonton for that one this year :cry: :cry:

Heard it was a good one (my all time favorite crit course)

EDIT: perfect time for a plug... Buy my Eastons (make you so fast) :bigpimp:

brucebanner
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Did 65km total today. Biked to Sylvan, back to Red Deer to my gym and home after the gym. Feel good but we'll see what tomorrow brings. This was the longest ride I've had yet, felt good though!

gretz
06-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Riding is going well... up to 90-95 average cadence, averaging 28km/h on a 50km ride, hilly as fk rides at that (okotoks to millerville from elizabeth street).

Doing a 75km loop tomorrow, oko to millerville, over to tuner valley and back > aiming for 3 hours, hoping the team can keep pace lol...

Tripz
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm a total noob and haven't ridden in about 13-15 years. Looking to purchase my first bike and have heard great things about the Jamis trail x3, any input?

There's someone local selling a 2011 Jamis Exile 1 29er Hard Tail for the same price and if that's a better deal, I'll jump on that one. Both are $500

Not doing much offroading, just a commuter around the block , prince island park, etc.

msommers
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
If it's a commuter bike, why do you want a hardtail?

Given that the ride to conquer cancer is finished, I'd imagine the market is going to be flooded with used road bikes, imo a much better choice.

One thing I need to get is pants. What do you use prefer? Bike shorts + tights or a pair of dedicated bike pants? I'm looking at these (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/PantsTights/PRD~5021-691/mec-roubaix-tights-mens.jsp) from MEC. Well reviewed and I can put my shorts underneath. Before I was using a pair of longjohns and my biking shorts overtop and actually worked really well until it got just a little wet and didn't keep my legs warm and the cuffs at the bottom started getting pretty loose.

Was also surprised by how few people had the platypus system on the RTCC instead most had the two bottle setup either right behind their seat or kinda within the frame. Not sure which is better but I might give it a try - those damn water bottle holders are kinda expensive + bottles too! I guess if it's not broken don't fix it?!

gretz
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I got 2 aluminum bottle holders and bottles for ~$30... its not that expensive IMO

msommers
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
MEC? Bowcycle?

gretz
06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Source for Sports Excellence in Okotoks... Many colors and types available (GIANT brand if it makes a difference)

ercchry
06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
look what i bought!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/552710_10151060185673638_1714871326_n.jpg

dunno if i like it yet, the single speed sucks for cruising around fishcreek, which i feel like i will be doing a lot of... since i live a block away. it should be fun at COP though once i get a front brake on it.

swak
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

dunno if i like it yet, the single speed sucks for cruising around fishcreek, which i feel like i will be doing a lot of... since i live a block away. it should be fun at COP though once i get a front brake on it.

Theres a Bow Cycle guy who races xc single-speed - ie hilly races: nordic center, jumping pound, etc. (comes on podium almost every race)....

Tuck in your vagina lips... Ride Fast!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

*Decent looking bike though

ercchry
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
problem is... im extremely out of shape :rofl: and that hill out of fishcreek is killer. hill down almost killed me too... sucks not having a front brake haha.

but yeah it should be good for me. just cant keep up with my roommate on his 18 speed though, my gearing seems really weak :dunno:

swak
06-26-2012, 03:54 PM
haha.. usually a singlespeed isn't gonna be super killer to be able to physically make it up hills (even for the fittest).

Just keep up with it, gain some technical skills and school your buds!

a social dsease
06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
lol I bet those tires slow you down more than the singlespeed gearing does. what are those, 2.6 gazzalodis? On doubletrack rims? not exactly the fastest rolling wheelset :rofl:

ercchry
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
yup, they sure are :rofl:

oh well. i grew up with bmx bikes as a child, so this seems like a natural progression for me. think i'll kill myself on the downhill at COP on it? :rofl:

msommers
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Source for Sports Excellence in Okotoks... Many colors and types available (GIANT brand if it makes a difference)

Hmm that's kinda far as I'm up in the north/central. I'll check out MEC and see what they have!

ercchry
06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
lol I bet those tires slow you down more than the singlespeed gearing does. what are those, 2.6 gazzalodis? On doubletrack rims? not exactly the fastest rolling wheelset :rofl:

actually i just checked, 2.5 wide. but i have a 24" in the back and a 26" in the front.. is that normal?

Hallowed_point
06-26-2012, 08:00 PM

actually i just checked, 2.5 wide. but i have a 24" in the back and a 26" in the front.. is that normal?

That's kinda weird..some bikes came with that stock but that's pretty old school..like old Specialized Bighit downhill bikes from 2003. :dunno:

ercchry
06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
yeah this thing is a norco sasquatch, dunno which year but the frame looks similar to the 09 and earlier ones? but everything has been touched. nothing is factory.

Moonracer
06-27-2012, 09:37 AM
problem is... im extremely out of shape :rofl: and that hill out of fishcreek is killer. hill down almost killed me too... sucks not having a front brake haha.

but yeah it should be good for me. just cant keep up with my roommate on his 18 speed though, my gearing seems really weak :dunno:

All you gotta do is throw a cassette on the back wheel and a shift pod and you have an 8 or 9 speed, whichever you pick. Although that just depends on how the guy who had it before you set it up. If it's a single speed hub on the back wheel then you need a new wheel or just a hub and rebuild the wheel with a multi-speed free hub. Or if he had a multi speed hub and used a bunch of spacers on it with the one cog to make it a single speed then you can just get the cassette and you're good to go. :D

Cos
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM

black13
07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Can someone recommend a comfortable seat that doesn't bucher your ass? The one that came with my cheap bike is of course just terrible after riding just one day.

J-hop
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by black13
Can someone recommend a comfortable seat that doesn't bucher your ass? The one that came with my cheap bike is of course just terrible after riding just one day.

trust me, give it a week at least. your ass will always be sore first day- I am assuming this is your first day biking for the season???

I ride a solid hard leather seat and have no problems (bike 10+ kms 5 days a week).

msommers
07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
A seat with a split in the back will take a lot of pressure off your tailbone. Establishing a good riding position is key and as J-Hop mentioned, it takes time to "work in your saddle" (not talking about the seat).

swak
07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
J-Hop, do you ride a brooks?

-------
I ride this on my road bike (approx training ride ~80k-100k), and is the most comfortable seat ive ridden.. .So rad/stiff... love everything about it.

http://www.jtcycles.com.au/images/product-images-large/2711-3410%20-1_lg.jpg

To the general public, this looks to be the comfiest saddle out there. In all honestly its the worst saddle ive ever ridden on.
... however, it may be comfortable to some.

https://bikefriday.com/thestore/images//parts/6867.jpg

Saddles are 110% personal though, while one saddle may be godly to me, it may be crap to you.
It all depends on the riding you're doing too.

Go talk to someone in a bike shop and talk them over would be my advice.

J-hop
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Not a brooks, it's some cheap wannabe that looks similar to a brooks colt.

I recently gave the commuter a face life with white walls and bought the leather seat to go with it, looks kinda cool actually haha.

Haven't really tried it on any long rides yet though, I've put about 300kms on the seat so far but the longest ride was probably only 2 hours.

gretz
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Well, less than a week until my first "event"... 6 of us from our work took up road biking about 4 months ago and decided to bomb head first into the penticton Grandfondo (~160kms)

I've put about 1000kms on my Colnago Arte 2.0 in the last couple months, 90 average cadence, typical rides are around 70km with 900m of ascent on that route > Any tips, tricks, eating habits, long ride nutrition, apparel etc... any of the seasoned riders would like to share?

98type_r
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Just rode goat creek trail for my first time today. What an awesome ride. Am a bit sore though. Took us just over an hour down. Next time I want to ride along legacy back to canmore. It was too much a pain doing the vehicle swap.

There Rundle Riverside trail is another option, although much more technical and bumpy than the Legacy pathway.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Yesterday I made an attempt to look for the WID canal that some of you made reference to in previous years so I could ride up to Chestermere. Unfortunately parts of the path from downtown were under construction, including the section that takes you to the Deerfoot overpass to Max Bell :(

Anyone know of any other route to get to the canal?

msommers
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Is the path paved the whole way? I'd definitely be interested in a ride like that.

http://www.trailpeak.com/content/trails/Canada/AB/1185/topo_widcanalmapJPG.jpg

Searched more and apparently it's paved the whole way. I know coming off the nose creek path towards the weir/pedestrian bridge has a section of what I'd classify as moguls. Hopefully the rest of the path is in much better condition.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, supposedly it is:
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-WID-Canal-Calgary-near-Calgary-AB-1185

msommers
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I should mention I'm pretty eager to get out to Bragg Creek from say Spruce Meadows in the next week or so. I'm not a super fast rider but if anyone wants company they're welcome to join.

98type_r
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Last time I rode it was a year ago, there was a small section that is a couple hundred meters that is gravel. I think it was a detour for the ring road construction so it's probably still there. Other than that it's entirely paved, there are a few sections where you have to cross a road or use a narrow/low underpass.

To avoid the Max Bell construction, take the pathway on the Inglewood side of the River. There is even a parking lot by the bird sanctuary you can park it. Follow the pathway down along the river until you go under the train tracks and up the hill onto the bridge to cross the river. Keep going straight until you go under 50th Ave, then again ride the path up to cross 50th. As you're on the bridge you'll see the pathway to your right, there is a closed parking lot right at the end of the bridge that leads you onto the pathway. From there it's straight all the way to Chestermere except where you have to detour by the Glenmore Inn to cross Glenmore Trail.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
To avoid the Max Bell construction, take the pathway on the Inglewood side of the River. There is even a parking lot by the bird sanctuary you can park it. Follow the pathway down along the river until you go under the train tracks and up the hill onto the bridge to cross the river. Keep going straight until you go under 50th Ave, then again ride the path up to cross 50th. As you're on the bridge you'll see the pathway to your right, there is a closed parking lot right at the end of the bridge that leads you onto the pathway. From there it's straight all the way to Chestermere except where you have to detour by the Glenmore Inn to cross Glenmore Trail.

Oh fuck! I was headed on the right direction after all! After I saw all the construction I just decided to keep on the path and see what was up ahead. When I made it to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, I decided I had ventured far enough into no-man's land and turned back. Okay if the weather's not too bad this week I'm gonna make another attempt.

Thanks 98type_r!

corsvette
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I like that Cannal pathway for its lack of traffic, hardly anybody on it from glenmore to Chestermere. Start at the lake and ride to the river and back is a easy 60km round trip.

megavolt
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Is the path paved the whole way? I'd definitely be interested in a ride like that.

http://www.trailpeak.com/content/trails/Canada/AB/1185/topo_widcanalmapJPG.jpg

Searched more and apparently it's paved the whole way. I know coming off the nose creek path towards the weir/pedestrian bridge has a section of what I'd classify as moguls. Hopefully the rest of the path is in much better condition.

Is paved... bumpy in bits...

But this detour SUCKS!

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Documents/Pathways/Closures/pathway-closure-52.pdf

One of my training rides took this route from downtown out to Chestermere, then hopped onto the #1 out to the #9 interchange and headed back to Temple. Pretty good ride.

This (http://goo.gl/maps/qhy5) is how I got there from downtown. The part by Pearce Estates might be closed due to the high Bow River. One part I did said it was closed but the river was just lapping up onto the path, hadn't completely covered it yet.

swak
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, definitely a nice path...

Paved the whole way, except for a small section behind some houses in Chestermere, thats all though.
Definitely not something to worry about on a road bike.

msommers
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Good to know. Also, how's the path between Canmore and Banff? It looks to be in wicked condition from the highway but I've never actually rode it yet.

Super_Geo
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Anyone doing the RBC GranFondo? Banff->Lake Louse->Banff in a day. I've only been on the bike 3 times this year, gonna have to start training soon.

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/Area-Events/Festivals/Summer/RBC-GranFondo-Banff

megavolt
07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Good to know. Also, how's the path between Canmore and Banff? It looks to be in wicked condition from the highway but I've never actually rode it yet.

The Legacy Trail is actually a pretty good ride. Kind of short but a good day trip with the wife. :) Took like 2 hours to get to banff and like 45 minutes to get back (uphill/downhill and going pretty slow).

civic_epidemic
07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
J-Hop, do you ride a brooks?

-------
I ride this on my road bike (approx training ride ~80k-100k), and is the most comfortable seat ive ridden.. .So rad/stiff... love everything about it.

http://www.jtcycles.com.au/images/product-images-large/2711-3410%20-1_lg.jpg

:thumbsup:
Do you ride the carbon rails one swak? My brother has the exact same one and he loves it. As for the fat seat, I have the same kind on my old MTB.....everytime I pull it out to ride somewhere close to the house I realize how much I hate the thing.

GreyFox
07-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I should mention I'm pretty eager to get out to Bragg Creek from say Spruce Meadows in the next week or so. I'm not a super fast rider but if anyone wants company they're welcome to join.

Let us know when you're thinking about going. Lived in Calgary for 15+ years and never been to Bragg Creek before. Went last weekend from downtown to glenmore, to highway 22 but ended up going up to Cochrane and back into downtown instead.

Just moved to Auburn Bay so I'm eager to check out that route as well. I'm by no means a fast rider either (try to average 25km/h for rides over 90 mins) but I have a TT bike so I'm reluctant to join group rides and what not because of this.

msommers
07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Yeah I don't really care what bike you have. I don't think they're should be much or any crosswinds to worry about going E-W. Nothing in particular in Bragg Creek to see, maybe stop for ice cream :D Work season is starting up soon so I'm not exactly sure when. I'll update here when I have a better idea!

Vagabond142
07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Holy crap this weekend is going to be PERFECT for biking... 27 and clear tomorrow, 31 :eek: and clear Sunday.... (grabs helmet, camelback, bike) :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Penguin_Racecar
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Anyone here riding the Gran Fondo Highwood pass tomorrow? I'm about 99.9% sure I'm signing up this afternoon and riding solo.

Also - canal pathway to chestermere construction isn't that bad. It's a couple of KMs through the industrial area by 52nd street SE and fairly well marked. Beware of the dirt/gravel section to get back on to the bike path when travelling eastbound though. Besides that it's mostly smooth sailing and not very busy at all!

Vagabond142
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
.... BUGGER

I was doing a nice slow (20 kph or so) recon ride of the Bow Trail, to find all the closures and detours... I got to just past the West end of Downtown, and downshifted on my front sprocket for one of those small hills. I put my leg into it, and next thing I hear is *SNAP!* *tinkletinkle*

I looked down, and I had put so much torque into my right leg that I SNAPPED THE 3RD GEAR SPROCKET clean in half, right at the crank bolt. :eek:

Not sure if it was damaged previously, or if I'm just that goddamned strong, but it was an eye opener for me.

I get my bike back from the shop on the 13th, so no more rides this weekend :(

Got 38 km in today tho, so not bad

swak
07-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Penguin_Racecar
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
What's a right left? Did you break the bottom bracket axle bolt? What bike is this on? I've only ever seen someone break cheap square taper bottom brackets from impact/torque.

Also, if anyone cares - here's my garmin dump from yesterday's Gran Fondo:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/196760144

Vagabond142
07-09-2012, 11:33 AM
^^^^^^^^ Right LEG :facepalm: Of course I catch the typo 48 hours afterwards :facepalm: :facepalm:

EDIT: Lemme retype this a bit clearer XD

According to the bike tech who called me yesterday when he was doing a closer inspection of my bike, apparently I broke the crank bolt inside its sleeve. I also jammed the bolt up into the sleeve at the break so hard that it locked in place due to simple friction. This caused all the force (235 lbs through the ball of my foot) to have nowhere to go. The pedal crank is strong enough metal that it took the force like a champ, but the sprockets, much thinner metal, were the load bearing structure of this event, and due to simple physics, the third gear sprocket was closest to the original force and took the brunt of the load, and failed at the crank bolt. Second gear was bent outwards and the strongest gear (first) didn't deform at all. The bolt itself that was housed in the cartridge was bent as well, the tech told me. He said it is more common than people think, and could be due to a loss of lubrication in the sleeve, simple mechanical wear-to-failure, overstressing a component, etc.

THANKFULLY it's a relatively cheap fix, ~$100 in parts. Bike tech needed literally 3 seconds and knew exactly what to fix, so apparently he's seen it before. Unfortunately, as my sprockets were one cartridge and not individual plates, I needed to replace the whole thing. :thumbsdow

D'z Nutz
07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r

Okay so I made it to 50th ave yesterday before turning back cause it was getting dark. How much further (timewise) was Chestermere?

msommers
07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Was in Waterton this weekend and took the bike. Friend and I started from town and headed towards the US border but frick was it hot; was getting concerned she may have been getting heat stroke.

I'd really recommend it. The path is separate and in great shape, right beside the highway starting from Waterton to the park gate and then onto the #6 hwy, I believe, goes to the border. I think 3 cars passed us; great highway, great views, barely any traffic! Not a long ride either, on a cooler day would fantastic.

Penguin_Racecar
07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Okay so I made it to 50th ave yesterday before turning back cause it was getting dark. How much further (timewise) was Chestermere?

It's pretty close to 20km from 50th ave to Chestermere lake via the channel pathway. However long that takes you keeping in mind you have to cross Glenmore Trail (you can sort of go straight through the field between Westbound and Eastbound Glenmore to shortcut). The bike map will tell you to ride from the path parallel to Glenmore to Ogden road, then cross Glenmore and head back East to the bike path. Also keep in mind the construction detour at 52nd street will take a few extra minutes.
What bike are you riding?

Also - thumbs up for Waterton area riding!

gretz
07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Completed the Penticton Granfondo this weekend... 41 degrees in town, in the valleys > 50+ with the humidity, zero wind lol... Without the volunteer support at the aid stations, this would have been nearly impossible to finish for most of the riders.

Excuses aside, this was my first (certainly not the last) event I've ever done > and for completing the 160km ride, it feels pretty f'n good:thumbsup:

Doing another one in august, awesome time:thumbsup:

msommers
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Damn that sounds grueling! Well done, Gretz.

Just did a bike fit at TCR with Cory, I'd recommend him to anyone looking at getting a fit. Did some tweaking, definitely feel more relaxed on my bike and got pedaling pointers as well, turns out my pull is not equal and barely there which I'm not surprised about. After I told him I've played soccer my whole life, neither was he. After doing pullups with one leg, my hips were already sore! No new parts needed which worked out well, ie:cheaper, and I'm super stoked to get out there and put some more miles on with this new fit.

The spin classes they have there are frigging amazing looking. I think I need to be in better shape to run with the people that go in there though haha.

gretz
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Damn that sounds grueling! Well done, Gretz.

Just did a bike fit at TCR with Cory, I'd recommend him to anyone looking at getting a fit. Did some tweaking, definitely feel more relaxed on my bike and got pedaling pointers as well, turns out my pull is not equal and barely there which I'm not surprised about. After I told him I've played soccer my whole life, neither was he. After doing pullups with one leg, my hips were already sore! No new parts needed which worked out well, ie:cheaper, and I'm super stoked to get out there and put some more miles on with this new fit.

The spin classes they have there are frigging amazing looking. I think I need to be in better shape to run with the people that go in there though haha.

Ya... Cory and rich at TCR are very knowledgeable... I got my Colnago sized up and ordered through them... Great fit, comfy, and yes, there are some serious athletes that go through there

msommers
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Went out to Chestermere today from the zoo. Wanted to start early but ended up leaving the house at 11am and damn it was hot already - Gretz how you managed 40C+ is amazing. Ride was overall just alright. The multiple gates and really bumpy sections of the path didn't make it that enjoyable for me, lots of stop and go it felt like. No one's fault but my own, I was cruising along and went to reach for my water bottle and smoked this huge bump just after crossing Glenmore Trail towards Chestermere, thought I bent my rim and almost fell off my bike hahah. Got to discover some areas of the city I didn't know of before which was cool :thumbsup:

brucebanner
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Got back on the bike today after a month~ away. Usual ride was surprisingly a little tougher then I thought but the heat could have had added to that. Didn't realize how much I missed it though while I was on vacation, definitely getting out for a ride tomorrow morning before I head back to work.

Mild 25ish km today while taking a break to hit the gym. Might do a longer ride in the morning.

msommers
07-13-2012, 01:34 AM
I checked out the IB-3 multi-tool and I had no idea it only came with one tire lever. I guess you just carry a second one?? Also when you guys are out on training rides, do you have that little bag attached to your seat stem or just put everything in the back of your jersey?

Picked up a parts kit (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Pumps/PartsAccessories/PRD~5018-076/filzer-mini-zee-bicycle-pump-parts-kit.jsp) for my mini pump (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Pumps/MiniPumps/PRD~5016-153/filzer-mini-zee-pump-wpressure-gauge.jsp) so now I have two plastic holder pieces for mounting on the top tube since with only one it seemed to come loose for some reason. Now that thing is rock solid! Might try CO2 later just for kicks, who knows. Take up less space I guess although with no gauge I'd have no idea how full it is.

swak
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I put stuff in that bag under my seat... Much better than bulging pockets.

And the IB-3 only has one yes...
I think in all the tires ive changed, i've only needed two tire levers once. Very rare that you'll need two.

msommers
07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Which seat bag you using/size? I'm looking at this (http://thebikeshop.com/product/topeak-aero-wedge-pack-medium-w-strap-62968-1.htm) guy.

swak
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
That's the exact one I've got :D

Can fit everything in there (put my phone/debit card in there and a small (Tiny) pump).
I hate having unnecessary bulk in my jersey pockets

msommers
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I was hoping my CC/cash, spare tube, patch kit, large phone (Galaxy SIIX) lever/multitool. Sound doable?

swak
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by civic_epidemic

:thumbsup:
Do you ride the carbon rails one swak? My brother has the exact same one and he loves it. As for the fat seat, I have the same kind on my old MTB.....everytime I pull it out to ride somewhere close to the house I realize how much I hate the thing.

Yes, exact one shown in pic is what i ride.
Rode the older non-carbon version on my old bike - and it would take a lot for me to go to a different model saddle! Love it.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541304_10150792106283386_1108785667_n.jpg

.... and just for you Sommers, here's my roadie pocket dump :thumbsup:
... now just don't buy the bag from The bike shop (from the link you posted :D )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/magishn/2012-07-1312-53-51031.jpg

-Park IB-2
-Blackburn mini pump
-tire lever
-patch kit
-tube
-phone
-also throw a bill and debit card or something in there too
-and often you can stuff a clif bar or something in there too (better to have that in your jersey though)

msommers
07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Sweet thanks for the pic man.

kvg
07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
After I got to work this morning I noticed my rear wheel is warped quite a bit. When I spin it the rim hits both sides of the break. Can it be trued?

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/ac580c7b.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/9be9cfdf.jpg

Penguin_Racecar
07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
That looks like it might need more love than just re-tensioning of spokes. Maybe Swak can confirm, but to me that looks like it's time for a new rim.

kvg
07-13-2012, 08:23 PM
I tried to true it myself and I got the wobble down to half of what it was:D , now I'll take it in next week to a shop and see if it will get much better.

msommers
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Cleaned up the chain today because the last couple runs, the rear has been shifting pretty hard and didn't sound that well lubbed. Tonight was worse though, the chain was having a really hard time finding the proper sprocket on the rear derailleur. Any ideas what is causing that? Mainly on the larger cogs (is that lower gears?)

Penguin_Racecar
07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Likely dirty housings and cables I'd say, if it's only acting up in some gears.

swak
07-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Cable Tension :D

.. And that's an oldschool rim! Doesn't look crazy bad though - worth a true (only really $20 in shop time at most bike shops).

What gen rim is that btw '05 open pro?

msommers
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Too much or too little tension? How do I adjust that?

swak
07-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Depends.
Adjust with barrel adjustor (less tension - lower chain sits on cogset and vice versa).

EDIT: had it backwards :nut:

civic_epidemic
07-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Yes, exact one shown in pic is what i ride.
Rode the older non-carbon version on my old bike - and it would take a lot for me to go to a different model saddle! Love it.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541304_10150792106283386_1108785667_n.jpg

.... and just for you Sommers, here's my roadie pocket dump :thumbsup:
... now just don't buy the bag from The bike shop (from the link you posted :D )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/magishn/2012-07-1312-53-51031.jpg

-Park IB-2
-Blackburn mini pump
-tire lever
-patch kit
-tube
-phone
-also throw a bill and debit card or something in there too
-and often you can stuff a clif bar or something in there too (better to have that in your jersey though)

Nice bike, I would like to commend you on the shinyness of your outer ring and putting it in the big ring for the photo op, but why not go all the way and put it in the 12 (or 11) haha. I'm the complete opposite of you, everything goes in my pockets on rides. Lever, multi-tool, CO2 cartridge, speedplay covers, tube, food and phone/cc

Vagabond142
07-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Did a settling-in ride for my new cranks and front sprockets. Also included my first two real "hill sprints" of the year, a couple of those 100-foot-straight-up-the-side-of-a-cliff Fish Creek park ones.

Did the Eastern Fish Creek figure of 8 route, starting at 130th Ave join-in to the Fish Creek/Bow Pathway.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/july21.jpg

A bit lazy on this ride, ~1h20m for 21.5 km, 1200 kcals burned. Tomorrow a longer ride (if it doesn't rain >_>), maybe do the entire Fish Creek pathway or the figure of 8 twice or thrice.

swak
07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by civic_epidemic

Nice bike, I would like to commend you on the shinyness of your outer ring and putting it in the big ring for the photo op, but why not go all the way and put it in the 12 (or 11) haha.

Bahahaha....
What are you trying to get at? :poosie:

Penguin_Racecar
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
It's because swak only rides steep uphills, everywhere.

Don't try to argue physics with me.