PDA

View Full Version : Need Help/Input (Dealership Issue)

leftwing
05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Ok, I will try and keep this short.

Car is 2003 Mustang Cobra,

Car got bad coolant flush, air pockets left in system causing car to overheat. (DONT WORRY WHO DID BAD COOLANT FLUSH, NOT RELEVANT). After unsuccessfully trying to burp air out of system myself, and a couple overheating episodes, I took the car to local dealership to do proper coolant flush and make sure not damage was done to engine.

I get a call from the Mechanic saying its bad badd news. So I go to meet him after work. He tells me car failed a block test, coolant in oil, head gaskets are blown, and cylinder heads are probably warped. Quoted me at $5300 (I have the bill for proof) worth of parts and labour NOT INCLUDING new heads if needed. I say WTF cant be. So I get the car towed to another mechanic for another opinion. He does proper coolant flush, takes does block test, takes car on 2 long drives. No over heating, passes block test, everything is fine.

It is obvious the original mechanic/dealership tried to screw me.

Do I have any recourse? Is it worth pursuing and trying to get them to pay for any thing or make things right for what they did. Technically they didn't do anything wrong, but if I did agree to pay them at least 5300 to fix it, that would have been a crime considering I payed the other mechanic only a couple hundred bucks and car is fine.

What does beyond think I should do? If anything?

CanmoreOrLess
05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Publish the wrongdoers, they did what they did and as professional and insured mechanics they are to be held accountable.

Weapon_R
05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
So you aren't out anything, but you want them to pay for what you might have been out? Not a chance man.

HO2S
05-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Bad diagnostics happen, especially when your on flate rate. All that a block test does is check the ph of the coolant, acid is a by-product of combustion. A block test is just a test, not a leaking head gasket finder. Block testers do give false results every now and then. The tech should have spent more time on it. Or he knows somthing you dont and its going to fail down the road. You dont know what he did or how far he went into it.
The dealer is going to tell you to go pound sand so fast. Just dont go back.

FraserB
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Go to AMVIC, post response for lulz.

msommers
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Post the dealership and leave it at that. If all of it is true, you'll have nothing to worry about and other members can avoid taking their vehicles there.

dirtsniffer
05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
post dealer, pretty obvious no one should trust their service

HO2S
05-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Their is good and bad techs out there. Some dealers have up to 30 journeyman on staff. It doesnt mean that all of the techs are shitty, it means that that own tech is shitty. And he will probably find himself unemployed in a bit.

dirtsniffer
05-15-2012, 12:15 AM
hopefully faster after some bad publicity

Rat Fink
05-15-2012, 07:51 AM

leftwing
05-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
So you aren't out anything, but you want them to pay for what you might have been out? Not a chance man.

I dont want them to pay what I may have been out, but I feel like that was a major fuck up on their part. No harm no foul in your eyes?

leftwing
05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by HO2S
Their is good and bad techs out there. Some dealers have up to 30 journeyman on staff. It doesnt mean that all of the techs are shitty, it means that that own tech is shitty. And he will probably find himself unemployed in a bit.

Thing that pisses me off is that mechanic has the exact same car as me, and said he was a Ford enthusiast.

rookie b
05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

Thing that pisses me off is that mechanic has the exact same car as me, and said he was a Ford enthusiast.

Haha this happened at Maclin then im assuming?

J-hop
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

I dont want them to pay what I may have been out, but I feel like that was a major fuck up on their part. No harm no foul in your eyes?

Just out of curiosity what makes you put 100% faith in the second guy. If you cranked her right to the red a couple times chances are yea you've done some damage, as to what degree is the question.... Not saying the dealer was correct in their assessment but are you putting your stock in the second guy because you know he is right or because you want to believe he is right.

If anything you should be going after the person who originally did your coolant flush, that is a pretty rookie error, at the very least that person should never touch your car again...

ercchry
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rookie b

if it was, i would venture a guess that this "tech" was hungover :rofl:

EDIT: nope, not him... his guess is crowfoot

leftwing
05-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by rookie b

Not Maclin, Advantage.

leftwing
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Just out of curiosity what makes you put 100% faith in the second guy. If you cranked her right to the red a couple times chances are yea you've done some damage, as to what degree is the question.... Not saying the dealer was correct in their assessment but are you putting your stock in the second guy because you know he is right or because you want to believe he is right.

If anything you should be going after the person who originally did your coolant flush, that is a pretty rookie error, at the very least that person should never touch your car again...

Second guy owns what used to be my best friends dad's shop (Dad passed away recently). I also played hockey with the 2nd mechanic and have known him fairly well for about 5 years. I would say that I have 100% faith in him giving me his best effort, and having my best interests in mind. I also have great confidence he has done the job well and properly, he used to work at D&W rebuilding engines, and has apparently worked on the cobra engine multiple times.

As for the person who did the bad coolant flush, like I said, it is not relevant. Basically, a good friend was doing me a favour, and fucked up. They offered to pay the bill charged by the 2nd mechanic.

Car runs and drives fine after 2nd mechanic worked on it.