PDA

View Full Version : Renting a car under the age of 21?

Blue
05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
are there any car renting company that you could rent in vancouver that is under the age of 21 ?

please and thanks !

Sugarphreak
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM

narou
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I had a hard time renting when it was for an accident that wasn't my fault. I doubt you can get a rental without a fair amount of fighting/special circumstance.

dr_jared88
05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I had to fight for a long time to get one from budget. But strangely enough uhaul rents to people 18+ and they do have F150's... Just a thought.

[Yu]
05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
From my experience, I have not heard from anyone that is under 21 that is able to rent, as I believe that might be the bare minimum.

What Sugarphreak said about under 25 fee is correct, but I believe the under 25 years old usually refers to 21-25.

I don't know about Budget, but this is only from my experience at 21 (which is irrelevant to your situation), budget never really ever bothered to even offer me any under 25 fee, which I hear some of my friends have been offered when they were 21.

The company that never had an issue with me being 21 was Enterprise, and they also have a under 25 fee.

narou
05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
What I did is booked ahead of time with hertz. The call center was down in texas or something and the guy on the line didn't care much.

When I went to pick up they were getting me all setup and when I presented my id the guy was like your not 21 yet. But I fought with him and made him feel like it was his fault. Eventually he just gave me a rental.

However this was being paid by somebodies insurance so I guess I was in a better postion to rent.

It was very stressful trying to convince them to break the rules for me. But the next time I rented a car from them I just brought documentation and told the guy that he had rented to me before.

He gave me no trouble at this point. I guess he must have thought I could potentially get him in trouble at that point so he just gave me whatever I want.

OP I recommend you look and see if you can get a good deal at UHaul. Otherwise call every rental place and see if they can do anything for you. If you have a visa that may help you, some of those have pretty good rental insurance.

NCS05
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I didn't know renting under 21 was so hard. Not sure if it is relevant but uhual let me rent a moving truck when I was 18.

Tomaz
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I have rented with Budget and Enterprise. I was just charged a "under 25 fee". No hiccups or grief for me. :dunno:

Stealth22
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
If you're at least 20 years old, Hertz will rent to you, and waive the young driver fee with coupon code PC 144314.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/specialoffers/index.jsp?targetPage=save25dayyoungrenter.xml&Category=Q

As someone said already, see if your credit card (Visa is good for this) includes rental insurance. You'll be fully covered your card has it. Obviously they won't cover third party liability if you get into an accident, but the car will be covered.

Maybelater
05-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I find the Enterprise is by far the most youth friendly of the rental companies. I don't know about under 21, but I've got under 25 rentals through them and the fee isn't high.

Keep an eye on the deductible for the youth insurance policy rules, I can't remember who it was but they wanted a $5000 deductible to rent. Total BS, they pretty much wanted cash in hand, half the value of the vehicle if it was damaged.

bspot
05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Enterprise and bend over.

I had to do this for work once, it was $1000 for a mid-size for the week in Toronto.

Stealth22
05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Enterprise and bend over.

I had to do this for work once, it was $1000 for a mid-size for the week in Toronto.
Ouch! I don't know if the OP is 20+, but I'm 24, and I just booked a weekend with Hertz for $100!

bspot
05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
That was years ago, so hopefully things have changed. And being mostly a weekday rental probably didn't help either.