PDA

View Full Version : A Canuck kills a Bruin!!

C_Dave45
05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
David Booth in Alberta:

ssCRQMjZ9r8

littledan
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
fuck, why are they hunting bears like that. go hunt some crappy deer or something.

JfuckinC
05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Man, im no hippy, but i could never do that! :eek:

I'd feel terrible haha..

Nismorphed
05-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I guess this is what happens when your team can't stay in the playoffs

dirtsniffer
05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by littledan
fuck, why are they hunting bears like that. go hunt some crappy deer or something.

uhhhh why?

Kloubek
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Why would you hunt bears with little sticks with sharpened ends at the very least? Did this bear actually bleed out from that arrow or something... it seemed to run off pretty quickly and didn't seem *that* phased.

I'm not really a huge fan of hunting in the first place, but if you're gonna do it, at least use a suitable weapon to reduce the pain of the animal.

rage2
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
What's the big deal? Is it because they're cute again? If so, you should check out the dolphin thread lol.

Freeskier
05-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Why would you hunt bears with little sticks with sharpened ends at the very least? Did this bear actually bleed out from that arrow or something... it seemed to run off pretty quickly and didn't seem *that* phased.

I'm not really a huge fan of hunting in the first place, but if you're gonna do it, at least use a suitable weapon to reduce the pain of the animal.

Those arrowheads tear a pretty massive hole. Animals will run when they're shot too even with a heart/lung shot. The only time you see them drop in place is when the bullet or arrowhead severs the spine or is a head shot. If it was a clean shot I would guess it wouldn't run more than a hundred meters or so and the animal would die quickly. That said, I'm not a big fan of trophy hunting.

Super_Geo
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Hunting is fine if you're going to eat the animal afterwards. I figure if you're eating venison that you killed, you're sparing a cow a shitty life in a feed lot, and the deer had a full life before it hit the dinner plate.

Originally posted by rage2
What's the big deal? Is it because they're cute again? If so, you should check out the dolphin thread lol.

Sport hunting is fucking pathetic as far as I'm concerned. Ending an animal's life for a momentary thrill is nothing a grown man should be proud of.

dirtsniffer
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
what about population control?

Kloubek
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Since when do we have an epidemic of bears?

Freeskier
05-15-2012, 09:37 PM
As far as I know the annual bear quota for licenses is quite high. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure they are a growing population that's extremely healthy.

Super_Geo
05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Freeskier
As far as I know the annual bear quota for licenses is quite high. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure they are a growing population that's extremely healthy.

Haven't looked into it recently, but bear hunting was banned as late as 2010 (not sure if it was lifted last season), I think the ban went back as far as 05-06 due to low bear populations.

And if you're killing an animal for a trophy, I don't think you give one fuck about population control (although it sure makes for a convenient excuse).

msommers
05-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
And if you're killing an animal for a trophy, I don't think you give one fuck about population control (although it sure makes for a convenient excuse).

Bingo. I love moose and deer but once that thing hits the butchers, I wouldn't want the damn head on the wall. If you're trophy hunting for just the trophy and that's it, might as well call it poaching.

Most hunters I know of or have heard about will take the head as a trophy and eat all the meat that comes with it. Not many people will kill a deer and saw off its antlers and then leave the rest, although it has and will likely continue to happen.

I wonder how much some rich lunatics will pay to go hunt rare or even endangered game in Africa? Isn't there polar bear hunting too?

EDIT: If anyone knows a place to buy moose meat, that'd be great! As far as I know you basically need to kill it yourself or have a buddy to get some off of.

l/l/rX
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
hah... this kind of stuff doesn't even phase me anymore, after working in the oilfields everyone there pretty much lived on a farm somewhere and the hottest topic out there is hunting. Co worker of mine recently went to go hunt a polar bear. If it's legal and you have a license then there is absolutely nothing no one can do anything about it.

dirtsniffer
05-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Haven't looked into it recently, but bear hunting was banned as late as 2010 (not sure if it was lifted last season), I think the ban went back as far as 05-06 due to low bear populations.

no but the people issuing the tags care about population control. if they wanted them alive they would issue fewer tags. Just talking hunting in general not so much bears.

This sort of reminds me on the facebook hunted wolves thing though.:cry: /sarcasm

dirtsniffer
05-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I wonder how much some rich lunatics will pay to go hunt rare or even endangered game in Africa? Isn't there polar bear hunting too?

EDIT: If anyone knows a place to buy moose meat, that'd be great! As far as I know you basically need to kill it yourself or have a buddy to get some off of.

I've heard some crazy shit about hunting in Africa. The hunters I know wouldn't even do it. Apparently they can take you out in the middle of the night (when all the big cats are active) and drive around till you find one. Them bam they hit it with a few flood lights so it's just frozen there, confused as fuck and then you're expected to shoot it. Takes all the sport right out of it.

Butchers can't sell hunted meat. only farmed raised. your only bet is to get in with some hunters. like me :D

rage2
05-15-2012, 10:35 PM

The American black bear is listed by the IUCN as Least Concern, due to the species' widespread distribution and a large global population estimated to be twice that of all other bear species combined.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_black_bear

3. Black bears can cause damage to livestock, apiaries and crops, as well as creating hazards in areas of human activity. As a result, a number are relocated or removed from the population annually as nuisance animals.
4. Hunting is an effective management tool to control population numbers where depredation occurs and can increase the wariness of bears towards humans.
5. Black bears are hunted in both spring and fall seasons. About 2,500 or less black bears (approximately 6% of the population) are harvested annually through regulated hunting; the majority during spring seasons. This annual harvest is well below what the population can sustain, and management goals desire.
http://www.huntingfortomorrow.com/HFTF_Home/FACT%20SHEETS/FS%204%20Oct%2008.pdf

rage2
05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/gopher.jpg
These are cute. Let's ban killing gophers.

J-hop
05-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Putting aside the fact I hate bear hunting and can't stand people that do it, it looks like they were baiting the bear (meat in drum). That is fucking despicable, it's just target practice at that point. It's like putting up a mcdonalds to hunt fat people, very little skill involved (and I say this because I used to hit the range with my brother who competed in archery and got pretty decent myself so im not exactly underestimating the archery skill involved) I can shoot fish in a barrel too!!!

rage2
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Should we ban fishing since we use bait? I've never tried slapping fish out of the water like a bear. Not sure how difficult that might be.

vengie
05-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Holy fucking hippies in this thread...

The bear population is growing and in some areas out of control. I am currently working in lloydminster and I see bears all over lease roads north of town. Local farmers actually HIRE hunters to come control the bears as they kill livestock etc...

Edit: I've actually got a bear hunt lined up a little later this summer.

J-hop
05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Should we ban fishing since we use bait? I've never tried slapping fish out of the water like a bear. Not sure how difficult that might be.

Thy is quite a bit different :rolleyes: . The whole difficulty of hunting is supposed to be tracking the animals, setting up a location and waiting for a shot. Not attracting every meat eating animal in a 5 mile radius to you location and dropping them, soo badass!!! Even my hunting friends think bear baiting is poor practice, along with fishing with spot lights it's pretty much the bottom rung of the sport hunting ladder.

C_Dave45
05-16-2012, 08:06 AM
:dunno: I dunno what the big deal is. Either you're "for" hunting/meat eating or you're "against" it. Personal choice.
Always seems funny that those against it have to vehemently chastise those who hunt. But meat eaters/hunters have no problem with "anti's" or vegans.

It's a legal hunt, period.

I couldn't do it, but I have no problems with those that do.

Eleanor
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Sport hunting is fucking pathetic as far as I'm concerned. Ending an animal's life for a momentary thrill is nothing a grown man should be proud of. Relevant:
NdApyFlf6DU

Should we ban fishing since we use bait? I've never tried slapping fish out of the water like a bear. Not sure how difficult that might be. Spear fishing is way more badass anyway, haha.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

A common broadhead and a reasonably high-draw bow will cause pretty massive internal damage, even in something as large as a bear. Shots are usually placed just behind the front leg to pierce the heart and lungs. In smaller animals (deer, etc.) it's not uncommon to have the arrow blow right through it and out the other side if you don't hit a bone.

I have no qualms with black bear hunting provided populations are maintained, which they are.

C_Dave45
05-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

A common broadhead and a reasonably high-draw bow will cause pretty massive internal damage, even in something as large as a bear. Shots are usually placed just behind the front leg to pierce the heart and lungs. In smaller animals (deer, etc.) it's not uncommon to have the arrow blow right through it and out the other side if you don't hit a bone.

I have no qualms with black bear hunting provided populations are maintained, which they are.
Exactly. That's why there's "minimum" limits to the size of broadheads. You couldn't hunt with a practice arrow, it doesn't do enough damage. A properly placed arrow can kill as effectively as a bullet.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM
^Yup, additionally the draw weight for the bow is regulated; 40lb minimum for hunting, most are in the 60+ range for compounds.

spikerS
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Video is private! eeeffffuuuu!

JRSC00LUDE
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
haha, what a bunch of sissies in this thread! Oh noes, he legally killed a bear for sport?!! :cry:

I've seen some videos of an old friend of mine bow hunting bears, it's insane how lethal those things are. It's not uncommon for the arrow to go in one side and right out the other, the bear takes off like a bat out of hell, bleeds out and drops.

It's incredibly efficient and "humane", much more than a gun imo. If you've ever had a fast cut/stabbing wound etc. you know that you didn't even feel it and all the sudden you're bleeding. A properly placed shot is so fast and deadly that the animal doesn't even know what happened and it'll be dead before it even feels pain.

dirtsniffer
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I am glad this thread changed direction.

J-hop
05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
^Yup, additionally the draw weight for the bow is regulated; 40lb minimum for hunting, most are in the 60+ range for compounds.

Man 40 sounds really low, I think I was using a 40 when I was like 15 and had no upper body strength

95teetee
05-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
haha, what a bunch of sissies in this thread! Oh noes, he legally killed a bear for sport?!! :cry:
no-hunting is a sport. Standing there waiting to kill an animal that came to a barrel of food you put out is just sad.

Putting a video of aforementioned event on youtube is really sad.

C_Dave45
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
^pussy. Is duck hunting really sad too then?
Sitting in a camouflaged blind with fake plastic ducks, calling them in and then shooting them? :rolleyes:

D'z Nutz
05-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Anyone see the Calgary Sun cover today? "Trouble Bruin" Hahaha oh god, who comes up with this shit? Haha

C_Dave45
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah, typical grade-school journalism coming from Platt. Slander a guy for doing something perfectly legal.
You don't like bait hunting? Fine...go lobby the powers that set the hunting regulations. But to personally attack a person who is hunting by the regs just cuz you don't like it? What a child.

This is what happens when a journalist skews the facts & sensationalizes the article to support his own morals.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Man 40 sounds really low, I think I was using a 40 when I was like 15 and had no upper body strength

40 is low for a compound but mid-range for a recurve; the regulations make no distinction between them. Application is clearly at the hunter's discretion; I wouldn't use my 45# recurve on bears, but I'm sure it would have no problems taking deer. It'd be next to impossible for the gov't to regulate draw weight on a per-species basis, so I figure they put out 40# as a bare minimum and let the hunter figure out the rest.

Freeskier
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
^pussy. Is duck hunting really sad too then?
Sitting in a camouflaged blind with fake plastic ducks, calling them in and then shooting them? :rolleyes:

Not to mention using bugles and calls for hunting deer and elk. Those don't compromise a hunt, but bear baiting with barrels and treeing cougars with dogs don't sit quite as well with me.

TE4MFaint
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Jesus H Christ, you guys are a bunch of babies. Minus Rage2.
I muchly enjoyed the gopher and fishing comments.

C_Dave45
05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow....Compare that diatribe of Platt's with an actual piece of respectable journalism:

Edmonton Journal (http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Bear+baiting+legal+near+grizzlies+ministry/6633886/story.html)

Bear baiting legal if it isn’t near grizzlies: ministry

EDMONTON - It started with a Tweet that read: “In Alberta trying to kill a few bruins.”

Within hours, the Tweet posted by Vancouver Canucks forward David Booth sparked a flurry of reaction among Twitter users and in the media. Booth, from his Twitter account D_Booth7, posted a link to the video of his kill on YouTube on May 12.

The video has since been removed, but the backlash was swift and furious. While some Twitter users supported Booth, others condemned the killing, with some slamming his hockey skills in the bargain.

Claire_McMaster tweeted at him, saying, “instead of cowardly killing bears for fun because u r a spoiled, rich kid, u should try being less cowardly on the ice. Van=0 cups.”

User SarahKmiech wrote, “Hey“Coward Bear Killer.”

Booth’s hunt created controversy because he was bear baiting, a hunting technique that involves leaving out food to attract the animal. The technique is legal in most of Alberta, and is also permitted in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. It’s illegal in British Columbia, where Booth lives.

The difference is related to each province’s bear populations, said Dave Ealey, a spokesperson for Alberta’s department of environment and sustainable resource development.

In B.C., bear baiting is illegal because a hunter looking to trap a black bear might accidentally kill a grizzly instead, said Ealey.

Out of the 40, 000 black bears in Alberta, about 2,750 are killed by hunters every year, though it’s unclear how many are through bear baiting.

“(Hunting for sport) is absolutely essential for us to manage bear populations in this province,” Ealey said.

Maurice Nadeau has been hunting bears for about three decades. The former president of the Alberta Fish and Game Association said he supports bear baiting because he can choose the bear he kills, and he can avoid shooting ones that are too young or mothers with cubs.

Nadeau said he thinks some are using Booth’s celebrity status as a springboard to criticize bear baiting and hunting in general.

“Being a hunter doesn’t make a person a bad person or a less talented hockey player,” Nadeau said. “And it shouldn’t take away from anything he does as a hockey player ... because he killed a bear.”

In a statement, the Canucks said they have no problem with Booth choosing to hunt.

Specialty channel Wild TV, which took Booth on his hunting expedition, has also aired episodes featuring former Edmonton Oilers players Steve MacIntyre and Louie DeBrusk. Oilers forward Ryan Jones was also on the show.

Booth didn’t respond to comments on Twitter, but in posting his video, he wrote, “ ... you have every right not to watch just like i have the right to choose to hunt.”

Nadeau took the same line.

“I’m a proud hunter and I don’t care if people don’t like it. It’s my quality of life and I am enjoying it. And nobody’s going to take that away from me.”

[email protected]

J-hop
05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
My previous bs aside what I find kinda funny is the reason we don't have to worry about accidentally baiting/killing a grizzly in Alberta(as opposed to BC) is because the Ab government allowed the grizzly to be hunted to near extinction in Alberta!

Kinda hard to trust the population "experts" in the government after the grizzly disaster haha.

Supa Dexta
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
No the AB gov't didnt.. Bears were hunted here long before the gov't came to be.

Also, get that on tape.

zarge
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't really care what other people do but I think that people who trophy hunt or enjoy killing things for fun have a few loose nuts in their head. If they can't find something to do out of the 10 million activities we have in this world to entertain themselves, they can't be too bright. Ever heard of photography, use a camera instead of a gun??? lol
I've always wondered if people who do this have huge insecurity issues but I'm pretty sure most of them were brought up hunting so it seems "normal" to them. Oh well!
My brother is like this, he shot over 100 boars in Australia this last year (pest control) and he loves it. He's like a kid with his camo outfits and camo makeup, talks like a kid. Some people never grow up. He even put a camera on his gun and it looked the end of the "movie" doom. He shot about 4 boars in 3 minutes. I believe he even drives 3 hours outside of Sydney to do it. I would understand if he was a farmer himself or ate the meat but he actually spends money to kill things for entertainment.

So where is a new link for the video??????