PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Final 2012

el_fefes
05-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Anyone watching this on Saturday? I'll be on a plane. Hopefully they'll have the right channel.

I was not expecting Chelsea and Bayern to make it over the Spanish giants...

Going for Chelsea on this one.

http://www.mojestarosti.cz/poradna/images/mconsult/images/1320772179_petr%20%C4%8Dech.jpg

Marsh
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
This should be a good game, im not a big fan of either team but im rooting for Bayern in this (mainly because it just happens to be in Munich too)

toyboy88
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM
I'll be watching for sure...just got back from Germany after 4.5 months there.

I think it's pretty evenly matched, but I think (and am rooting for) Bayern to win.

CSMRX7
05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
I think Bayern should win. Game is in Munich, and Chelsea has a ton of suspensions. But the wildcard is I don't know how Chelsea even made it this far. They shouldn't have beat Benfica or Barca but somehow pulled it off.

voodoo
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
i NEED bayern to win, as im a HUGE tottenham fan.

el_fefes
05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Spurs got schooled by Chesea in the FA cup! hehe :devil:

cam_wmh
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
LOL, the blues are gonna get spanked. It's going to be awesome.

I'm wearing my Cantona jersey on Saturday to spite them. :)

georgemagana
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
In the name of football Bayern should win since they actually play really good unlike Chelsea defending with all players all the time.

borN
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by georgemagana
unlike Chelsea defending with all players all the time.

Do you even watch football...

Bayern should take it given the Chelsea suspensions. Even with the suspensions, Bayern probably has an all-around better team. Still rooting for Chelsea though!

littledan
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
How about the premier league final this year! City coming back to win in extra time like that was craaaaazzzzyyyyy! win on goal differential

cam_wmh
05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
In the name of football Bayern should win since they actually play really good unlike Chelsea defending with all players all the time.

You don't have the foggiest inclination into what you're talking about.

el_fefes
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by littledan
How about the premier league final this year! City coming back to win in extra time like that was craaaaazzzzyyyyy! win on goal differential

Haha that was insane. I say a 30 min clip of highlights going back and for between the City and United game. The drama was better than most movies. Wonder if it's the first time the league is decided on goal diff.

http://www.footytube.com/video/manchester-city-queens-park-rangers-may13-118215?ref=hp_ozeit_mp is the link if anyone is interested. :drama:

soccernut
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
I think Bayern should win. Game is in Munich, and Chelsea has a ton of suspensions. But the wildcard is I don't know how Chelsea even made it this far. They shouldn't have beat Benfica or Barca but somehow pulled it off.

Do you mean Napoli and Barca? Benfica was a breeze. 1-0 away and 2-1 at home (3-1 agg.)

RE: Suspensions
Bayern has 3 players (Badtsuber, Alaba, Gustavo) suspended and their back line is shambles as Dortmund showed last weekend. They only have one healthy centre back.

Anyways, keep the Chelsea hate coming. I've grown quite used to it. Just stay off the bandwagon if we win.

Skyline_Addict
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM

how is coming back from 0-2 to tie it 2-2 against BARCELONA with 10 men "defending with all players all the time"?

i'm actually routing for Chelsea - they're the underdogs for this one in my opinion.

CSMRX7
05-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by soccernut

Do you mean Napoli and Barca? Benfica was a breeze. 1-0 away and 2-1 at home (3-1 agg.)

RE: Suspensions
Bayern has 3 players (Badtsuber, Alaba, Gustavo) suspended and their back line is shambles as Dortmund showed last weekend. They only have one healthy centre back.

Anyways, keep the Chelsea hate coming. I've grown quite used to it. Just stay off the bandwagon if we win.

I mean Benfica. After watching that game, Chelsea got lucky. I still think that Chelsea suspensions are a lot worse. They are missing

Terry
Ivanovic
Ramires
Raul Miereles
and David Luis is still out

soccernut
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM

I mean Benfica. After watching that game, Chelsea got lucky. I still think that Chelsea suspensions are a lot worse. They are missing

Terry
Ivanovic
Ramires
Raul Miereles
and David Luis is still out

Lucky based on what? Which game? you mean the 25 min of desperation at the end of the second leg? Benfica didn't score till after 175 minutes.

P.S. Luiz and Cahill have been in full training the past 3 days with no issues. David Luiz has been healthy for a while now but they didn't want to risk it.

CSMRX7
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Lucky based on what? Which game? you mean the 25 min of desperation at the end of the second leg? Benfica didn't score till after 175 minutes.

P.S. Luiz and Cahill have been in full training the past 3 days with no issues. David Luiz has been healthy for a while now but they didn't want to risk it.

Typical Chelsea fan :D . All have the same skewed view of the world. Cech really kept Chelsea in it but Benfica missed some stuff they shouldn't have. I can't see Bayern doing the same.

Dortmund played unbelievably well against Bayern, I don't think Chelsea have that type of form. But we will find out this weekend.

Skyline_Addict
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Dortmund played unbelievably well against Bayern, I don't think Chelsea have that type of form. But we will find out this weekend.

Kagawa will be signing with Man Utd!

soccernut
05-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Typical Chelsea fan :D . All have the same skewed view of the world. Cech really kept Chelsea in it but Benfica missed some stuff they shouldn't have. I can't see Bayern doing the same.

What is it exactly that makes my view skewed? All I stated was some facts. Do you even watch football?

cam_wmh
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM

What is it exactly that makes my view skewed? All I stated was some facts. Do you even watch football?

The logician will say this is Bayern's game.

But the Blues ascension to Munich has been nothing short of fantastical.

Take Torres winning goal against Barca for example. He was initially just trying to carry the ball out of his own 18 yard box, when either Alves or Cuenca stuffed him. Torres was now 20 yards out of position after his over-run. A quick dispossession seconds late, and Cole finds Torres alone for an each chip.

The holes on the Blues backline are much more severe than Krauts. The loss of JT is massive. Cahill will be fit. No doubt about that, just sat for a final meaningless table game for a decent rest.

While, Cech is playing brilliant lately, he's still overshadowed by Meier, the worlds best.
The Blues have another 2 glimmering hopes in Drogba and Mata unfortunately, the Krauts have that in 3-fold.
(Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Gomez, Kroos, and Muller)

FCBM 3-1 CFC

Skyline_Addict
05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

The logician will say this is Bayern's game.

But the Blues ascension to Munich has been nothing short of fantastical.

Take Torres winning goal against Barca for example. He was initially just trying to carry the ball out of his own 18 yard box, when either Alves or Cuenca stuffed him. Torres was now 20 yards out of position after his over-run. A quick dispossession seconds late, and Cole finds Torres alone for an each chip.

The holes on the Blues backline are much more severe than Krauts. The loss of JT is massive. Cahill will be fit. No doubt about that, just sat for a final meaningless table game for a decent rest.

While, Cech is playing brilliant lately, he's still overshadowed by Meier, the worlds best.
The Blues have another 2 glimmering hopes in Drogba and Mata unfortunately, the Krauts have that in 3-fold.
(Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Gomez, Kroos, and Muller)

FCBM 3-1 CFC

Torres' goal was not a game-winner. Losing 1-2 at Nou Camp would've sent them through, he just put the nail in the coffin.

Blues backline is definitely in worse shape than Bayern. Bayern still have Lahm to marshal the backline, can't say who it would be for Chelsea without the racist playing.

Who is Meier? Do you mean Neuer, Bayern's goalkeeper? He's definitely a top goalkeeper, I have a tough time saying he's the world's best. He was horrible against Dortmund on the weekend.

Unless Drogba plays like he did vs. Barcelona or Torres actually starts playing like Torres of old, I don't think Chelsea have much chance. We're unlikely to see that happen though (at least not at the same time), as Torres will likely start on the bench. Ramires and Meireles have bossed their midfield all season and will be missing, so it's all up to Lamps and Mata.

Doesn't look good for Chelsea, but it hasn't for most of the season and now they're in the CL final. Who knows what will happen.

My prediction:

Bayern 2 - 0 Chelsea

soccernut
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Thank God this game is not won and lost on paper.

cam_wmh
05-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Torres' goal was not a game-winner. Losing 1-2 at Nou Camp would've sent them through, he just put the nail in the coffin.

Blues backline is definitely in worse shape than Bayern. Bayern still have Lahm to marshal the backline, can't say who it would be for Chelsea without the racist playing.

Who is Meier? Do you mean Neuer, Bayern's goalkeeper? He's definitely a top goalkeeper, I have a tough time saying he's the world's best. He was horrible against Dortmund on the weekend.

Unless Drogba plays like he did vs. Barcelona or Torres actually starts playing like Torres of old, I don't think Chelsea have much chance. We're unlikely to see that happen though (at least not at the same time), as Torres will likely start on the bench. Ramires and Meireles have bossed their midfield all season and will be missing, so it's all up to Lamps and Mata.

Doesn't look good for Chelsea, but it hasn't for most of the season and now they're in the CL final. Who knows what will happen.

My prediction:

Bayern 2 - 0 Chelsea

lol Neuer isnt best? who then? Hart? Casillas? i haven't seen the Bortmund game (Bundesliga clincher?)

What specifically? I'm surprised already at the suggestion.

Chelsea needs to keep theirs straight with his long balls to Gomez as well. Neuer SHREDDED JT the last time they played. He'll do the same to Cahill.

The Torres goal.. yikes i wrote winner. my bad, and obviously it was the back-breaker. regardless of Barce's need for a goal, Alves needs to remain positionally sound. He's not giving up much sitting back there.

Thank God this game is not won and lost on paper.

touche'.

Some lol's:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2012/05/18/3111475/heynckes-drogba-is-a-top-striker-but-also-an-outstanding

Skyline_Addict
05-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Neuer is still young but you still have to give best GK to Casillas as he brings a lot to the table. I'm not a GK so I won't comment on their technical ability (it's probably pretty close), but Casillas really brings a presense to the team (Captain of Spain and Real Madrid). Not to mention Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010 Winner, Spanish League Winner this year. Are you really going to say Neuer is better?

Dortmund has beaten Munich a number of times this season, the most recent was a 5-2 win for the equivalent of the German FA Cup. They also had a crucial meeting a few weeks ago which was basically a title decider, which Dortmund also won.

Neuer better not play like this tomorrow.

tXYCSHkJyCU

As for Dani Alves from a tactical perspective under Pep's regime of total football - as arguably the world's best attacking full-back, Dani Alves is crucial in providing width on the attack and basically being their "4th" midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation. I'm sure Pep's instructions for him are to attack attack attack. When Dani Alves pushes up, Puyol, Pique and Abidal shift right and form a back-3 until Alves can run back to cover his spot on defense (which more often than not, he does). Basically it would be a waste to tell Alves to sit back and defend - he is crucial in the way Barcelona play and attack. Barcelona had to go for it that game.

lol Neuer isnt best? who then? Hart? Casillas? i haven't seen the Bortmund game (Bundesliga clincher?)

What specifically? I'm surprised already at the suggestion.

Chelsea needs to keep theirs straight with his long balls to Gomez as well. Neuer SHREDDED JT the last time they played. He'll do the same to Cahill.

The Torres goal.. yikes i wrote winner. my bad, and obviously it was the back-breaker. regardless of Barce's need for a goal, Alves needs to remain positionally sound. He's not giving up much sitting back there.

touche'.

Some lol's:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2012/05/18/3111475/heynckes-drogba-is-a-top-striker-but-also-an-outstanding

soccernut
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Neuer is still young but you still have to give best GK to Casillas as he brings a lot to the table. I'm not a GK so I won't comment on their technical ability (it's probably pretty close), but Casillas really brings a presense to the team (Captain of Spain and Real Madrid). Not to mention Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010 Winner, Spanish League Winner this year. Are you really going to say Neuer is better?

Agree 100%. Cech is second to Casillas for me. Neuer and Hart are excellent GK's but they still have to show up in big games and bail their teams out of a sticky situation. Casillas was a giant in that world cup final. Cech is one huge reason why Chelsea are in this Final and countless Semi's and finals prior to that.

Buffon in his prime was easily the best. I only mention him cause he is not retired yet.

soccernut
05-18-2012, 02:03 PM

English please? that makes no sense. Chelsea playing long balls to Gomez? Neuer shredding Terry? Last time who played?

Skyline_Addict
05-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Agree 100%. Cech is second to Casillas for me. Neuer and Hart are excellent GK's but they still have to show up in big games and bail their teams out of a sticky situation. Casillas was a giant in that world cup final. Cech is one huge reason why Chelsea are in this Final and countless Semi's and finals prior to that.

Buffon in his prime was easily the best. I only mention him cause he is not retired yet.

Buffon was a great GK, but my all-time best is Peter Schmeichel. Man Utd legend and is the main reason behind Denmark's only notable achievement (Euro 1992). Such a commanding presence.

English please? that makes no sense. Chelsea playing long balls to Gomez? Neuer shredding Terry? Last time who played?

Yeah. I didn't want to be a dick in previous posts, but cam's posts make no sense and make me believe that the majority of his soccer exposure comes from watching soccer highlights on TSN and sportsnet.

I was going to let the "Torres game-winner" and "Meier" slide, but he keeps going on about non-existent things/players.

soccernut
05-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Buffon was a great GK, but my all-time best is Peter Schmeichel. Man Utd legend and is the main reason behind Denmark's only notable achievement (Euro 1992). Such a commanding presence.

:werd:
Plus Italy cheated when Buffon got his WC

Bladeh
05-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Tough game to pick, I would say Bayern Munich, playing at home has to be a huge advantage plus Chelsea have most of their better players out, Cahill and Luiz may be fit, but you just never know if they will last 90 mins. Gomez will cause them trouble along with Robben and Ribery, I've never rated Neuer, flaps at crosses and can go walk about at times.

Gomez and Robben to score with Lampard with one for Chelsea.

borN
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Lost my voice at the ship this afternoon. So happy Chelsea took it! Such drama

georgemagana
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
LOL at Chelsea's fanboys! They are the worse. Like this guy asking what I'm talking about when I said Chelsea defended the entire game against Barcelona and his asks if I even watch soccer LOL

Today's games was horrible until the end where it got really intense! Didnt like how the referee ignored the penalty done to Torres ! Amazing ending !

toyboy88
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
WOW, exciting match! Was rooting for Bayern, had my Mueller jersey on too, but definitely a worthy final regardless... :)

My (random) notes:
- Bayern dominated the first half for sure. Missed chances/finishing ended up costing them.
- Robben got the ball too much for Bayern, didn't really give Gomez a chance to get involved. And WTF on the penalty...I had a bad feeling when he was stepping up... :(
- Props to Drogba. BEAST header to tie things up late.

soccernut
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Chelsea did me proud today. Yes they defended most of the time but that is also a part of the game last time I checked. Some teams want to attack and others are comfortable sitting back letting opponents come to them and exploit spaces they leave in the back.

Georgemagana, if you that cup final boring (or any major cup final) then you should probably look for another sport.

There are so many things that happened during that first 80 minutes that were interesting to those of us who understood the tactics of the game.

Di matteo was a tactical genius today. Bertrand and Cole to quiet down robben was a good call. The only mistake was not taking kalou off earlier. He was drifting out of the game and essentially cost Chelsea the goal buy not closing down on ribbery as he crossed the ball to Muller.

P.S. to all those who wrote us off: suck it. We can now go shine our two trophies.

Bladeh
05-20-2012, 05:18 PM
An English team beating the Germans on penalties........... just priceless! :clap:

borN
05-22-2012, 07:30 AM
LOL at Chelsea's fanboys! They are the worse. Like this guy asking what I'm talking about when I said Chelsea defended the entire game against Barcelona and his asks if I even watch soccer LOL

You sure are dumb aren't you...

And Gomez was the worst player on the pitch. He's an absolutely terrible striker - it's a wonder how he has more than 10 goals. He has size, but lacks finesse...missed so many opportunities.

soccernut
05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by borN

You sure are dumb aren't you...

And Gomez was the worst player on the pitch. He's an absolutely terrible striker - it's a wonder how he has more than 10 goals. He has size, but lacks finesse...missed so many opportunities.

Bayern had so many chances but could not finish for their lives. Everytime Robben would cut in from the left, he was sending the ball to the stands.

How huge was cech though? Someone was arguing Neuer was the best in the world...Have a word with yourself.

voodoo
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
noooooooooooooo being a huge spurs fan this was the worst result possible....

soccernut
05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by voodoo
noooooooooooooo being a huge spurs fan this was the worst result possible....

More like Catastrophic. Modric and Bale are gone for sure.
But they have no one to blame but themselves. They let Arsenal into 3rd.

borN
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Bayern had so many chances but could not finish for their lives. Everytime Robben would cut in from the left, he was sending the ball to the stands.

How huge was cech though? Someone was arguing Neuer was the best in the world...Have a word with yourself.

Yeah Robben had a couple chances where he'd usually send a great shot. Cole did a really good job defending the wings...but honestly, I think Lampard was one of the best players for Chelsea. He never lost the ball and was great on defence.

Cech definitely played great. Neuer is still young - but man can he play as well. Going to be fun watching his progression.