PDA

View Full Version : What is your Specialty???

missblondie
02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
So I know that beyond is quite a cultural mixing pot... and from the creativitly that goes into our cars, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were creative in the kitchen as well...

So lets here it... WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU LOVE TO COOK, AND HAVE PERFECTED WITH YOUR OWN PERSONAL TOUCH?

ps.. don't be afraid to share the recipe so maybe others can give it a try too!

EK 2.0
02-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Kraft Dinner...with hot dogs yo...CANNOT be beat...

Well I make this grilled chicken breast thing on a bed of rice and seasonal vegetables...

The chicken is grilled and brushed with a spicy salsa while cooking...

QuasarCav
02-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Soft taco's

The key is to use the steak strips instead of ground beef. I know it's not a culinary masterpiece but it's a start.

And use the taco mix in the blue packet, it's good stuff.

SinisterProbeGt
02-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Slow Roasted Beef Ribs

Items Needed
1 Roasting Pan with lid
10-15 Beef ribs Un Frozen
1 huge boiling pot
1 Bottle of lea parrons Special Reserve BBQ sauce
5 table spoons of Worchester sauce
1 pinch of salt
2 cloves of fresh garlic
5 table spoons of franks hot sauce
2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
seasoning salt
and 12 hours

well basically 1st you want to mix up the sauce.
start with half the bottle of BBQ sauce this is your base.
mix in the Worchester sauce and hot sauce, salt, garlic, olive oil.
Then with a fork whisk for a sec to ensure proper mixture.

take the beef ribs boil them for 5 minute to reduce the fat content.
Take them out of there drain the water and put them in the roaster pan.
Smother them with the sauce and put them in the oven at 250 for at least 3 hours.
Take them out every 50 min and shake the pot to mix the sauce and ribs together.
after the 3 hours put in the rest of the sauce, due to baking and the oil produced the flavor will diminish a little Thus using the extra sauce.
Roasted potatoes with garlic go well with this.
That's one dish that I can make killer. and you feel like Fred Flintstone eating these big ass ribs...
:thumbsup:

missblondie
02-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
Slow Roasted Beef Ribs

Items Needed
1 Roasting Pan with lid
10-15 Beef ribs Un Frozen
1 huge boiling pot
1 Bottle of lea parrons Special Reserve BBQ sauce
5 table spoons of Worchester sauce
1 pinch of salt
2 cloves of fresh garlic
5 table spoons of franks hot sauce
2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
seasoning salt
and 12 hours

well basically 1st you want to mix up the sauce.
start with half the bottle of BBQ sauce this is your base.
mix in the Worchester sauce and hot sauce, salt, garlic, olive oil.
Then with a fork whisk for a sec to ensure proper mixture.

take the beef ribs boil them for 5 minute to reduce the fat content.
Take them out of there drain the water and put them in the roaster pan.
Smother them with the sauce and put them in the oven at 250 for at least 3 hours.
Take them out every 50 min and shake the pot to mix the sauce and ribs together.
after the 3 hours put in the rest of the sauce, due to baking and the oil produced the flavor will diminish a little Thus using the extra sauce.
Roasted potatoes with garlic go well with this.
That's one dish that I can make killer. and you feel like Fred Flintstone eating these big ass ribs...

OMG.. those sound so good!.. i am definetly gonna have to give those a try!

QuasarCav
02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
"5 table spoons of franks hot sauce"

IMO it should be on everything. It even tastes good on crackers

ZorroAMG
02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
I make my own special salad dressing, the ingredients, I cannot share ;)

sputnik
02-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Slow Roasted Beef Ribs

<snip>

sounds good...

Cattleboys is also a really good BBQ sauce for beef ribs... i also wouldnt put the sauce on until later... the last 20-30 min should suffice

sputnik
02-04-2004, 02:30 PM
i make wings ALL of the time... my friends like mine better than any pub... so damn easy...

- i start with a big tray of the "2 bone" pieces (available from Costco for CHEAP)... i find that the 2 bone pieces are juicier and more consistant texture than the mini-drumsticks

- coat them all with flour and put them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (parchment paper allows you to not have to grease the cookie sheet)

- liberally sprinkle Hy's Steak Spice on the wings. You might also want to try sea salt too.

- bake for a while (until brown) 375F (convection oven)... 400F (conventional oven)... you will want then nice and brown but DONT over cook them or they wont be juicy.

- take them out of the oven and move the wings into a new bowl or pyrex dish to let them "dry" a bit (you will understand when you make them)

now for the sauce...

to be honest... i make this differently EVERY time... but i start with the basics...

- 1 cup (or so) of Franks Red Hot (or and equivalent Louisiana style sauce)
- 1 tbsp (or so) of Margarine
- 1/2 cup (or so) of Ketchup (more for mild... less for hot)

- after that... be creative... try adding BBQ sauce... or Tabasco... Brown Sugar... or anything you might think will work...

- mix it together... then cover and microwave until the margarine has melted (~2 min)... then stir and let it cool slightly to thicken...

- if everyone likes the same hotness... toss the wings in the sauce... or you can just leave the sauce out so that people can choose how much they want

Melinda
02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Chili is mine, that and fettuccini, however, i lost my good recipe for it :(

switch
02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
My Kickass Paella:

Spice Mix for chicken:
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken; marinate for 1 hour, covered

1 (3-pound) frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Spanish onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
4 cups short grain Spanish rice
6 cups water, warm
Generous pinch saffron threads
1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 lobster tails
1/2 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed
Lemon wedges, for serving

Special equipment: Large paella pan or wide shallow skillet

Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.

In the same pan, make a sofrito by sauteing the onions, garlic, and parsley. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat. Then, add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid. Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron. Add the clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook. Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails. When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it's PERFECT.

note: The ideal paella has a toasted rice bottom called socarrat.

Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.

This was much easier to make when I lived in BC, seafood selection in AB sucks.

ENJOY! great for big groups.

SinisterProbeGt
02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Man some of the best dinners I have made after your done and sitting at the table going WOW I made That!!!!!
And shit if you could only rember what you did

itsnotaDUB
02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Chicken penne, nothing beats it...

88CRX
02-04-2004, 11:31 PM
grilled cheese

butter
bread
slice of cheese
balogna
slice of cheese
bread
butter

dipped in a wee bit of ketchup

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jdmakkord
02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Hmmmm I cook for a living........so damn near everything. Not to mention I can pair a bottle of wine with any type of food, seeing as I'm a retired wine geek:D

JordanLotoski
02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
where do you cook......

CelicaST-162
02-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Stir Fry Udon Noodles

-Boil the udon noodles
-then toss noodles in frying pan (be generous with oil)
-cut up thin slices of beef, pork...what have you...
-dice up onions, green onions, green pepper, tomato
- toss all into pan, add soy sauce and fish sauce
-and BAM!!!...eat!

Ben
02-04-2004, 11:45 PM
I make some wicked Pasgetti.

girlRACER
02-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Anyone here know how to make Tom Yum Goong or Chicken Udon (the kind they serve in Japanese restaurants)?

For Chicken Udon...I have no clue how they get the broth

:confused:

As for me, best thing I can make is anything that is microwaveable such as tvdinners or needs reheating. I always know the perfect amount of time to put them in for. :rofl: My jasmine rice is good too....well most of the time. Yea...it's kinda sad but I can't even cook instant noodles properly so that's an achievement :(

Ben
02-04-2004, 11:54 PM
^^^ hahahahahahaha:thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
02-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Yea...it's kinda sad but I can't even cook instant noodles properly so that's an achievement :(

You'll make some guy the happiest man in the world lol... :rofl:

RSeXy
02-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Wow! Some of you guys are great cooks! I make good salads and salad dressings. Cakes and muffins and I am good at decorating sugar cookies. I can't cook any chinese dishes.

I am definately going to marry a man who can cook...or else we will just have to eat sweets. :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

You'll make some guy the happiest man in the world lol... :rofl:
haha I do the cooking in out the house

SinisterProbeGt
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by RSeXy
I am definately going to marry a man who can cook...or else we will just have to eat sweets. :dunno:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

haha I do the cooking in out the house

So do I. THis Guy got some mad clunary skillz yo.

EK 2.0
02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

EWWWWWWWWWW...I am never gonna have a salad at Zorros...

88CRX
02-05-2004, 10:28 AM

speshal shauce

hjr
02-05-2004, 10:35 AM
does it count if you add a bunch of crap to classico spaghetti sauce for a damn damn damn good mean? cause i can do that. i also rock out some mean fahitas.

RC-Cola
02-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I make a Stuffed Sole that's out of this world...

4 FRESH sole fillets (Go to Billingsgate for them)
1 dozen meduim sized shrimp
1 can of mushroom soup
some fresh mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup of swiss or mozza cheese
chilantro
parsley
butcher string

To start get a frying pan use some good olive oil, place the shrimp (cut them into smaller bite sized pieces), mushrooms, cilantro and parsley in the pan. Basically blend them all together until the shrimp change to to pink and start to brown a bit. Set this pan a side.

Take your sole lye them flat. Take a couple spoon fulls of the shrimp/mushroom mixture and place it at one long end of the sole. Roll the sole up with the mixture in the middle. Use some butcher string to tye it together so it won't unroll. Repeat for your remaining pieces.

Place the rolls in a deeper oven pan. Take the can of mushroom soup and some water and fill the pan up so it's just covering the sole. Place in the oven at 375 for about 20 - 30 mins. Open the oven after 30 mins and cover the top with cheese. Leave for about another 15 mins. You can tell when it's done because the sole will flake a little bit.

Take the sole out, leave it with the string still on and if you can, stand it on edge in the middle of a plate. Place some sauce across the top. I usually place the sole on a small bed of rice. As a finisher I would use a little leftover clantro and sprinkler it on top for some colour.

BTW, I'm the cook at my house, my fiancee gets to clean up after me, it's a great deal. :thumbsup:

DJ Lazy
02-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Southwest Cajun Chicken Quesadillas. ;)

My personal secret mix of spices and hot sauces... I will think about giving the recipe... :angel:

Melinda
02-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Actually my family and I make home made turkey soup and home made borsht (Ukranian soup) we usually always have some around the house :thumbsup:

SinisterProbeGt
02-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Actually my family and I make home made turkey soup and home made borsht (Ukranian soup) we usually always have some around the house :thumbsup:

Your a Ukranian Ha so am I. Got to love petaha and cabbige rolls, perogie, crum cocca I love just about every thing my grandma make. One thing I never understood about the ukranian food is Head Cheese What the hell there aint no cheese in the damm thing but put a little salt and white vinigar on there and boom flavour country.

Melinda
02-05-2004, 11:39 AM

Your a Ukranian Ha so am I. Got to love petaha and cabbige rolls, perogie, crum cocca I love just about every thing my grandma make. One thing I never understood about the ukranian food is Head Cheese What the hell there aint no cheese in the damm thing but put a little salt and white vinigar on there and boom flavour country.
Haha yeah my last name (syryda) means wednesday in ukranian...my mom makes awesome cabbage rolls although she isnt ukranian but I do think she got the recipe from my dad's aunt :)

ZorroAMG
02-05-2004, 12:23 PM
I am a pro at making pizza.

Dial 310-0001 LOL

nismodrifter
02-05-2004, 12:38 PM
I am a pro at making pizza.
Dial 310-0001 LOL

BAHHA....I can't even do that :rofl: :rofl:

I can't make any food, can barely butter my toast in the morning without the damn stuff ripping apart into a million pieces.

I am going to be so screwed once I go away for university, probably die from starvation:D

BloNdie
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
if ONLY I could cook. I really have got to find myself a chef, or someone with no taste buds. ;)

Dave P
02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
- 1 package of ground beef
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cans of pork n beans
- 1 can of bbq beans
- bulls eye original
- cajun and cayanne seasoning

cook the ground beef
toss in the onion diced
let simmer
toss in the beans
half a bottle of bulls eye
add seasoning

serve over spaggeti noodles. Should make enough for 5-6 servings

SwitchBlade
02-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Bachelors Brunch

1 box of KD
1/4 cup of milk
teaspoon of butter/margarine
pack of cheese mix that came inside of box
Add
5 slices of cheese
italian sausage
green and red pepper

Best results are created using smallest amount of cookware possible.

switch
02-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
Bachelors Brunch

1 box of KD
1/4 cup of milk
teaspoon of butter/margarine
pack of cheese mix that came inside of box
Add
5 slices of cheese
italian sausage
green and red pepper

Best results are created using smallest amount of cookware possible.

That looks disgusting. :barf:

thich
02-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Anyone here know how to make Tom Yum Goong or Chicken Udon (the kind they serve in Japanese restaurants)?

For Chicken Udon...I have no clue how they get the broth

:confused:

Isn't the broth just obtained the same way every other chicken broth is? boil a chicken (get rid of fat), add some herbs or vegetables to add flavor; you may need to use rock sugar instead of normal sugar to attain the proper flavor... I'm not too sure, just guessing.
I haven't had chicken udon all too often and i haven't really been impressed with what i've had thus far.

My specialties:

anything Vietnamese except desserts... i can't do those for sum reason :dunno:
I like Chinese cooking too; I've tried some Korean cooking - quite fun.

Pho, Bun Bo Hue, Mi Quang, Bun Rieu, Hot and Sour Vietnamese Fish Soup, Lobster in cream sauce...

I cooked since i was 10 :D

-250-
02-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I make killer Mince (brown people knwo whatim talking bout aww yeee)

Budgias
Pakoras
Samosa's (IMO when i made them in summer they were some of the best)
good paella
I can make anything taste good.

I want to own my own resturant when i am older and go to culinary school, alas i am supposed to be an engineer.

-250-
02-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I also bake, i made my Cousins wedding cake.

Hakkola
02-06-2004, 01:52 AM
I make the worlds best French toast, and some finnish foods... I make some damn good cookies etc... used to work in a bakery. :D

core_upt
02-08-2004, 03:36 AM
i make some pretty mean tofu dishes, and italian shit too, but that's from working in the business for way too long!

Davetronz
02-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Mmmmm, Samosas are so good! My neighbor always used to bring them over when they cooked some.

Another Ukrainian here.

Anyways, I have a few specialties:
Chicken Parmesan
Hot Wings
Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta
Chili
"Fall off the Bone" Ribs

Lately I havent had time to cook anything "special", as well I seem to have lost a bit of my touch after being a vegetarian for 2.5 years... But I will slowly regain it once again..

As far as me and my girlfriend go, I do ALL the
cooking. Anyone else have a girlfriend who isnt quite able to cook? :)

RSeXy
02-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by thich

My specialties:

anything Vietnamese except desserts... i can't do those for sum reason :dunno:
I like Chinese cooking too; I've tried some Korean cooking - quite fun.

Pho, Bun Bo Hue, Mi Quang, Bun Rieu, Hot and Sour Vietnamese Fish Soup, Lobster in cream sauce...

:love: :love: :love: