PDA

View Full Version : Fit, Cruze, Focus Whats your take, What else to look at?

sxtasy
05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I am helping my sister find an economical car and I'll admit I don't know much about this segment. She is going to be a student, so payments/financing apr should be reasonable, with fuel economy and reliability also being important factors.

We took the Honda Fit out today, seems to be a pretty good car, although it seems underpowered and a little pricey for what you get. Going to take the Chev Cruze eco out tomorrow as well as the Ford Focus. I personally might lean towards the Cruze as I like the idea of a turbo with 6 spd auto while maintaining great fuel economy.

Whats beyonds input? What else should we look at and consider?

flipstah
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I'd go for the Focus because of the interior design.

I sat in a Cruze once and it felt like a taxi.

J-D
05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I'd go for the focus out of those 3, just personal preference though.

kvg
05-18-2012, 08:08 PM
The new focus is pretty nice

dj_rice
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Nissan Juke?Nissan Versa Hatch?Toyota Yaris

heavyD
05-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Focus.

corsvette
05-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Cruze gets amazing fuel economy, really liked the way they drove too. Look at owner reviews on Edmunds, most Cruze owners are very happy. I do like the Focus' looks, but have yet to drive one.

speedog
05-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Sonic has the Cruze turbo package and there's the soon to be released Chevy Spark

corsvette
05-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Forgot about the Dodge Dart, think they are hitting showrooms in the next month or so.

sxtasy
05-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Focus seems to be pretty popular here, just built one on Ford site and looks like pretty good value. 0% finance is always nice too.

Originally posted by dj_rice

Versa should be on the list, imo Juke and Yaris are just too ugly.

Sugarphreak
05-18-2012, 09:58 PM

spikerS
05-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Focus seems to be pretty popular here, just built one on Ford site and looks like pretty good value. 0% finance is always nice too.

Versa should be on the list, imo Juke and Yaris are just too ugly.

Versa? God no. One of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever driven. There is a reason they were giving them away free a couple years ago. You could give that car another 50hp, and it would still be underpowered.

FiveFreshFish
05-18-2012, 10:02 PM
If the current model year Honda Fit is like the '09, the headrests are very uncomfortable. They're positioned for maximum safety but too far forward for comfort, and they only adjust up and down.

Also, if you have long legs or sit close to the steering wheel, you will bash your knee on this switch pod getting out of the car. It's more intrusive than it appears in this pic.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2461bvm.jpg

npham
05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Driven the new Focus, the transmission is full retard at slow speeds and my buddy just bought a new Cruze which I thought was pretty nicely equipped, and gets great mileage. He's got 3 car seats in the back which impressed the hell out of me as well. Didn't care for the manual transmission but it was much more liveable than the Focus. Haven't been in a Fit or driven it, but I hear tons of good things so it would be between the Fit and the Cruze.

kvg
05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
3 car seats :eek:

Originally posted by spikers

Versa? God no. One of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever driven.

Hey I like mine and I actually picked it over a Sentra, Fit, or Civic, but you have to get a manual or cvt not a auto. I think right now the focus is the best bang for you buck. The juke is cool but I think it's a love it or hate it car.

K3RMiTdot
05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
i agree the focus sucks at low speeds, it sort of lags, but non the less focus looks better than the fit.
Fit is becoming a bit dated, if that matters to you.
Cruze sucks.

Focus!

relyt92
05-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by kvg
3 car seats :eek:

Hey I like mine and I actually picked it over a Sentra, Fit, or Civic, but you have to get a manual or cvt not a auto. I think right now the focus is the best bang for you buck. The juke is cool but I think it's a love it or hate it car. Any issues with piston slapping in yours? My mom has like 10k on her 2011 versa with the 1.8l and is getting slap but nissan considers it 'normal' so won't do anything about it.

kvg
05-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Let me guess it happens when it cold? If its a clicking noise when it's not piston slap. Anyways I got 71k on mine now and it's been a trouble free 71k. It's not a now motor as the used it in a sentra for years and the 2.0 in the sentra now is basically the same motor (mr18/mr20).

Stealth22
05-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by spikers
Versa? God no. One of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever driven. There is a reason they were giving them away free a couple years ago. You could give that car another 50hp, and it would still be underpowered. Doesn't surprise me. I rented an Altima a couple of months ago, and I thought it was the biggest piece of crap I had ever driven. It did not feel like a $27K to $30K vehicle.

Hell, I drove a Ford Fusion (the new one) as a rental a couple of years ago when it was first refreshed, and I was pretty impressed with that car. I'm renting another vehicle ("full size") soon on a trip out east, and I hope to god that I get a Camry or Fusion. I'll even take an Impala over an Altima.

/mini rant

ianmcc
05-19-2012, 05:38 AM
If she can drive a standard then go with the Focus and a MT.
The new automatic fails to deliver.

Twenty
05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
I actually test drove a Fit, but ultimately chose the Focus and wouldn't change that decision. It's awesome.

The auto is weird as it drives like a standard, but the real standard is phenomenal.

I definitely recommend getting the Focus. There are some big changes in packages for 2013, and in some cases the '12s are better in terms of what you can get.

relyt92
05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Let me guess it happens when it cold? If its a clicking noise when it's not piston slap. Anyways I got 71k on mine now and it's been a trouble free 71k. It's not a now motor as the used it in a sentra for years and the 2.0 in the sentra now is basically the same motor (mr18/mr20). It's worse when it's cold but it is there all the time now. When it's cold it sounds more like a TDI engine rather than a versa.

kvg
05-19-2012, 01:20 PM
All mr18's do that its the valves that click when the motors cold then when its warm it goes away. Its perfectly normal and isn't an issue, but its quite loud when its really cold outside.

Rat Fink
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM

A790
05-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Focus > all.

Deetz
05-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned any Hyundai cars like Elantra, i thought they were great bang for the buck :dunno:

Drooool
05-20-2012, 12:05 AM
ford has really picked up their game in the last few years. if i was looking for a new car i think id have to go with a ford. you get way more for the money and are really reliable.

r3ccOs
05-20-2012, 01:45 PM
With the price of the Prius c, I'd have a look if ecology and economy is a concern

big A
05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Personally I don't think the comparisons are equal. It's the civic that you should be comparing to those.

I think you should be giving the Elantra a thought. I compared all the cars in that class myself a year ago and drove most of them and made my own decision.

I chose the Elantra, here is my long boring thread that got derailed a few times. http://forums.beyond.ca/st/333263/comparison-cruze-vs-elantra/

The cliffs are drive them all and buy the one that YOU want.

Graham_A_M
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Fuck no to all those POS. :nut:
I'd get either a focus or a cruze. both are great cars. I was most impressed with the focus though. Big props if she can drive a manual as that's a better choice.

sxtasy
05-22-2012, 07:47 PM
well she ended up going with the Cruze. We drove the Focus, Fit, Cruze and Mazda 3. I would say all vehicles were very similar in price point and options. What swayed her towards the Cruze was the most flexible finance options.

Cruze is 0% - 84 months
Focus is 0% - 72 months
Mazda 3 with sky active 0% - 48 months
Fit = no 0% financing

Now for her being a student, it was important for her to have low payments, she can pay it off early if she chooses (obviously 84 months is a long time) but with 0% its kind of a no brainer.

I would say that the Cruze and Focus were both quite similar in fit and finish with the Focus having a slightly better looking exterior. The torque band on the Cruze 1.4 turbo is actually quite nice

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/images/lightduty/graytabs/powercurves/2012_cruze_luj_0311.jpg

Aleks
05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Here is a fresh article which shows cruze winning in its segment. Seems like a great car.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-compact-cars/6

heavyD
05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Here is a fresh article which shows cruze winning in its segment. Seems like a great car.

Wow did they ever trash the Corolla and Civic. It's crazy how the roles have reversed in the last 20 years. Toyota and Honda supplying lazy, half hearted attempts while the domestics are innovating and focused on building solid, small cars.

narou
05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Love my first gen fit

corsvette
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I was quite impressed with the Cruze I drove. There's a rumour out that the 2.0L Turbo will be optional on the 2013 Cruze RS. The domestics have really steped up their game in small cars.

CanmoreOrLess
05-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Worth a read through this six vehicle testing of compact cars, I for one was very surprised at the winner and "losers".

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-compact-cars

*Someone beat me to the punch!

I would be concerned about resale and reliability with a GM product, only time will tell. Companies can change.

clem24
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Nice.. Next time I am in the rental lot, I'll make sure to pick the Cruze. :D

r3ccOs
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Worth a read through this six vehicle testing of compact cars, I for one was very surprised at the winner and "losers".

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/comparison-test-compact-cars

*Someone beat me to the punch!

I would be concerned about resale and reliability with a GM product, only time will tell. Companies can change.

I was looking for a Ranger the other day, and sat in the Focus (didn't drive it) but if it rides/drives as nice as they've done with the rest of the car... it has came a long way

If the ST is a more afordable and practical car than the GTI - I think for a number of people, it will be a no-brainer

as for the rest.. I can appreciate the Mazda Sky-Active's application of an atkinson cycle engine, but the chasis is really starting to show its age
that being said, the CX-5 is a very impressive crossover, especially for the money

buying a car has so much to do with preference and other variables, which includes tangables and intangables... from function, power, driving fun, fit & finish, fuel economy, to the styling, residual value, maintenance, reliablity, to heck the badge
but I think in this segment, the most important is function and total cost of ownership

being that the Corolla and Sentra are on their last legs, I'd say to wait a bit and see if there is a new offering coming soon with a more powerful, effecieint direct injection engine... but that being said, the SR20/QR25 and the old 1.8 in the Corolla are likely going to be able to give you endless number of KM's trouble free

VetteRacin
05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
kia soul?

coop3rr
05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
what about a scion xD? i Drove one when i was looking for economy but i decided to go practical and sacrifice fuel economy, the xD handled really well, and even with the CVT was still more enjoyable then other cvts i drove. and it has "4" seats, More like 3, but it was a great little car for <16000

Aleks
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
well she ended up going with the Cruze

codetrap
05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Very nice to see that our new Mazda 3 Sport GSL-Sky rates so well. The review was pretty much in line with what I found as well by test driving all those cars. Except for the Cruz. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Chevy.

I just took our Mazda to Kelowna and back this past long weekend. And I do agree that the auto is a little sluggish in shifting, however, if you flip it into manual mode it's perfectly matched to the car. I had a TON of fun just south of Sicamous in the twisties, and even driving like I stole it I still managed to get 5.2L/100Km. That's loaded up with the wife, myself, our daughter in her carseat, and luggage for 4 days. For the whole trip, I had to gas the car twice. Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me to see 702km with a quarter tank left. The damned thing get's better mileage than my 06 TDI did. :nut: