PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Detective Request: Concrete company damaged my truck.

Ven
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey guys I could use some detective work. Here's the story:

After my neighbor had his garage pad poured the concrete truck driver cleaned the chute in front of my truck :facepalm:

I've got concrete blobs on the paint, grill, and windows. I removed a few blobs off the paint but they paint is now etched and looks like shit.

I'd like to start an insurance claim but I don't remember what the company name for the truck is. My neighbor doesn't know since all he got was a final bill from the general contractor. The GC gave me the contact info for the concrete finishers, who I called. The finishers speak almost no English and the best I could make out was something like Rocksport or Rockport or something that sounds like that.

I need to find out the name of this concrete delivery company. I do recall the trucks being mostly black. My google-fu is exhausted. :cry:

sxtasy
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
What area of the city are you in? Might narrow it done to who delivers concrete in that area

Ven
05-21-2012, 04:58 PM
N.E. Saddleridge.

flipstah
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Black trucks, eh?

Ven
05-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Black trucks, eh?

Ya, which from what I've seen is fairly uncommon.

flipstah
05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Ya, which from what I've seen is fairly uncommon.

Very uncommon. Most of them are white... If I spot one, I'll let you know. :)

So it's a black mixer or a black pickup that has a mixer/tow thing going on?

Provide the contact info by PM or post.

Ven
05-21-2012, 05:22 PM
For contact info I only have a couple phone numbers, but I think to get anywhere a person would need to be fluent in Punjabi. The GC knew the contact for the finisher, but I can't understand the finisher.

I just don't want to be one the hook for this financially, I shouldn't have to be. It should be able to go through insurance without me paying a deductible or seeing a premium hike. I don't care if it's the GC, or the delivery driver, or even my neighbor that pays through their insurance.

Mostly black mixer tandem. Pretty sure it had red lettering. Kinda like this...

http://truckphoto.net/Sterling_cement_truck.jpg [/B]

Ven
05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
double tap...

Vinman
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Give your ins. co. the contact info of the GC and let them go after him, after all, he hired them.

Ven
05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I hope for it to work that easily. But I'm not confident that it will.

The more information I can get dug up the better my position is with the insurance company.

FraserB
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Not that company.

Ven
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Found the company. I'll update once I know more.

sillysod
05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Sounds like a Kerridge truck or A-1

Not going to be Kerridge or A-1 their trucks aren't black or white.

The trucks he is talking about belonged to Solid Construction, but they very recently got bought out or went bankrupt. I know Burnco or Inland didn't buy them but perhaps Lafarge?

If they aren't now part of Lafarge, then they will just be some finishers that bought one of the trucks and goes to Rolling Mix, Lafarge, Burnco, etc. to get ready mix.

Either way it will get sorted out once you find the owner. The city is very sticky about washing out on site and getting concrete on public / private property.

Lex350
05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Good luck with this because multiple companies bought the assests from them. 4star bought a few but they were repainted if I recall correctly. It sounds like a small outfit because of the way it was billed.

FraserB
05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Save yourself a bunch of hassle and just get the insurance info of the GC, you get paid and then he can go after the concrete people. He is responsible for his sub trades.

Lex350
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Did a bit more checking. Most likely was a 4 star truck. Apparently they didn't paint them all. Not sure who you would talk to because 4 star was bought by Burnco.

Ven
05-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Fire and Bylaw stopped here yesterday and went over the sight. Looks like the fines will start at $5k, the spill was within 4 meters of a sanitation manhole. CPS visited later and I showed them all my documentation and pictures. They said because it was accidentally done there's no criminal intent, thus no extra charges on top of what's already coming. They took a report anyway and have my pictures on file. My insurance is going to handle everything without cost to me and go after the fool who did it.

Thanks to all the Beyonders who replied. I donated $20 to the Children's Miracle Network in Beyond's name. Not a lot I know but what I could do at the time. So anyway, thanks.

sillysod
05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
^^ yup city doesn't mess around with concrete "spills". Ready mix producers spend a lot of money on enviro-chutes and re-cycling wash out water when the trucks come back.

Unfortunately there is not much they can do about retarded employees.

freshprince1
05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Rockport it is! They are a small local concrete company. My brother works in the industry and knows of them. He said (in his opinion), "...they have like 3 trucks. Small crappy poor company. Good Luck." There's only like 3 people that work there.

He said just report to the police if they are no help. Make sure to have the plate number, time of day, address & street name etc.\

Good Luck.

roll_over
05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Ven
N.E. Saddleridge.

Originally posted by Ven
Fire and Bylaw stopped here yesterday and went over the site .... I donated $20 to the Children's Miracle Network in Beyond's name. Not a lot I know but what I could do at the time. So anyway, thanks.

This sounds like the India–Pakistan cricket rivalry

sillysod
05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Rockport it is! ...... Small crappy poor company.

Shitty deal... feel sorry for the owner. It's so hard to get decent employees already in Alberta and then to have one of your guys pull this. :thumbsdow With these fines he's going to be doing a few jobs for free to make up for lost costs.

freshprince1
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

Shitty deal... feel sorry for the owner. It's so hard to get decent employees already in Alberta and then to have one of your guys pull this. :thumbsdow With these fines he's going to be doing a few jobs for free to make up for lost costs.

That's good of you to give him the benefit of the doubt. For all we know it could have been the owner doing that job and his own simple carelessness costing him money. Either way it's one of the risks of owning your own company...at the end of the day it's your ass on the line be it profit or fines. A responsible business owner will to the right thing to maintain his reputation.

Ven
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Yesterday I poured a small public residential road project that required 6 meters. A very Large company with white trucks delivered. The operator washed out the chute when we were done......and covered a newer pickup in the EXACT pattern of concrete splatter mine got. Incredible coincidence witnessed by at least 8 guys. We'll see what becomes of the incident report.

Zero102
05-25-2012, 06:53 AM
8 guys and you witnessed it and nobody stopped him?

codetrap
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Ven
Yesterday I poured a small public residential road project that required 6 meters. A very Large company with white trucks delivered. The operator washed out the chute when we were done......and covered a newer pickup in the EXACT pattern of concrete splatter mine got. Incredible coincidence witnessed by at least 8 guys. We'll see what becomes of the incident report.
Originally posted by Zero102
http://xtremefast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/People-nowadays.jpg

Ven
05-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Yes, the guys that saw it did. It's not like he was up there hosing for minutes. He was on the back to put away his scraper after pulling some concrete down from the hopper area then grabbed the hose and hit the trigger. By that time there was an arc of water and concrete fanning off the edge of the chute and peppering that guys truck. He stopped right away when guys started yelling. Like I said there was an incident report made, so it'll be taken care of.

clem24
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ven
A very Large company with white trucks delivered.

I see what you did there.. :rofl:

r3ccOs
05-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't know what it is, but it seems like those who are in the concrete trades are the sketchies people... the drivers to the finishers...

I had the same thing happen 3 years ago..
Rolling Mix was pouring the basement next door, but the cribber had left the trailer there so they didn't have direct access to pour into the forms...

so rather than being logical, they put the boom over my vehciles and decide to pour, on a rainy stormy day

needless to say, my car/truck got bukkaked in concrete

my wife notices, takes pictures and I go outside and confront them..
they were relatively sympathetic, and said they'd take care of it, and by take care of it, they took my hose and a buncha brooms and started brushing the caustic mix off my car, not only taking off or causing swirls to the clear coat, but flakes of paint right off.

and... then they just leave, they just book it

I try to deal with their office and contract mgr... he guy gives me the round about, and tells me concrete would never harm a vehicle's paint and that I needed to prove to them unequivocally that there was no prior damage to my vehicles prior

and they had to be close up shots...

I said screw this and went to my insurance provider, made a claim, gave them the pictures and they re-pained my car and collected from them

I also went to Jayman (the builder next door) and gave them shit about how unprofessional the company was...

but Jayman gives the jobs to the lowest bidders anyhow (which I don't get, because their mix is so bad, that every Jayman home in Auburn bay has had to have their driveway's sandblasted)

big A
05-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by clem24

I see what you did there.. :rofl:

Me too but he already had the police involved in the earlier incident so I don't know how smooth this will go.

Along with posting everything on a forum.