PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for Eng, UA or UC

DboyNismo
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Just thought I'd ask for some opinions. Got accepted into both, but I want an opinion on where to go. My school councillor said u of c but I'm not going to base my decision off of just one opinion.

If it helps, I want to go into mechanical. What's the difference between the two in terms of class size and co-op internships. I've heard that UA is good for chemical but I don't know about mech.

Any advice is appreciated.

a social dsease
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
If you want to live in Edmonton go to UofA, if you want to live in Calgary go to UofC. At the end of the day you'll end up with the exact same degree, 99% of employers won't give a shit which of the two your degree is from as they are both respected schools.

I went to UofC myself and I thought it was pretty good, most people I've talked to who went to UofA say it was also good. Maybe you can find someone who did a few yrs at each to give you a better comparison but I think the programs are very similar.

Impreza
05-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
If you want to live in Edmonton go to UofA, if you want to live in Calgary go to UofC. At the end of the day you'll end up with the exact same degree, 99% of employers won't give a shit which of the two your degree is from as they are both respected schools.

I went to UofC myself and I thought it was pretty good, most people I've talked to who went to UofA say it was also good. Maybe you can find someone who did a few yrs at each to give you a better comparison but I think the programs are very similar.

I agree. It doesn't matter which one you choose. Just figure out where you rather live.

turbotrip
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease

^this is what it comes down to basically.

but if you want my opinion:
Calgary>Edmonton
UofA campus>UofC campus
Mech Engg @ UofC>Mech Engg @ UofA

and internship opportunities are better at U of C

dandia89
05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
it's the same. theres are alot of oil and gas head offices here, so it'd be easier for internship. but it's not like you're completely irrelevant at u of a

dirtsniffer
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
might want to consider coop vs internship as well.

u of c is a year off after 3rd year (16 month straight work), u of a is 2 semesters off but not the same year so you have 2, 8 month coops and a couple 4 months

spike98
05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
We have had intern-ships from both faculties here at work.

Students through both programs seem very well educated but from a coop point of view the 16 month term from the U of C allows them to take more comprehensive projects and learn more about the facilities.

FixedGear
05-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

^this is what it comes down to basically.

but if you want my opinion:
Calgary>Edmonton
UofA campus>UofC campus
Mech Engg @ UofC>Mech Engg @ UofA

and internship opportunities are better at U of C

this

boarderfatty
05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
it's the same. theres are alot of oil and gas head offices here, so it'd be easier for internship. but it's not like you're completely irrelevant at u of a

True, but there a lot of the companies with head offices have there facilities in Edmonton, Nisku, or further north. I don't know many engineers who do their internship or coop in an office

DboyNismo
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, this is really giving me a better picture. I'm leaning more towards u of c right now cause I wave a lot of money by staying at home. And from the sounds of it u of c is the same.

I have a cousin who is doing mech eng at u of a so I'll give him a call today to ask him.

turbotrip
05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

True, but there a lot of the companies with head offices have there facilities in Edmonton, Nisku, or further north. I don't know many engineers who do their internship or coop in an office

in calgary most engineers do their internships in an office

boarderfatty
05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

in calgary most engineers do their internships in an office

Well I guess it depends on where your interests are as well, most interns here do field work, not necessarily get your hands dirty work, but in the middle of the action per say, vs in front of a computer in an office.

You have a lot of possibilities as far as career paths go with engineering

lasimmon
05-22-2012, 05:45 PM
In my opinion 1 term of office work is good, but I would much rather have my students in the field getting the hands on experiance.

I went to U of A. Im sure U of C is just a good. Like many have said Its living in Calgary vs Edmonton. Mind you live by the U of A in Edmonton is really nice, unlike the rest of the city.

badatusrnames
05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

The majority of UofC internships are in offices. I got the impression that more of the UofA Co-ops are not in offices.

OP:

The 16 month internship is great. It really gives companies a chance to give you really meaningful experience and evaluate you. It generally leads to job opportunities with that company, or if that doesn't pan out, is a good resume builder, since you were likely able to do more meaningful work during your internship.

I graduated from the Oil & Gas program at UofC, and did a 16 month internship with the company (a producer) that I'm working full time for now. My company recruits exclusively from the UofC internship program for new grad engineering positions.

Question about your program selection - what do you want to end up doing? Why are you choosing Mechanical?

UofA seems to have a slightly better reputation downtown, especially with the older crowd. I think this is a legacy of the days when UofC had low entrance requirements and was seen as the fallback school for people that couldn't get in elsewhere, while UofA has always been a solid school.

The quality of UofC Engg grads seems to have gone up over the last few years due to improvements to teaching and programs, and higher entrance requirements. The impression I get is that employers who hire UofC Engg grads are very happy with the quality, but some other employers might screen out or not favor UofC grads because of that poor legacy reputation.

Honestly though, where you go sometimes doesn't matter as much as doing reasonably well academically, and making sure you get the most meaningful and relevant experience you can during the summers/co-ops/internships.

DboyNismo
05-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

The majority of UofC internships are in offices. I got the impression that more of the UofA Co-ops are not in offices.

The 16 month internship is great. It really gives companies a chance to give you really meaningful experience and evaluate you. It generally leads to job opportunities with that company, or if that doesn't pan out, is a good resume builder, since you were likely able to do more meaningful work during your internship.

Question about your program selection - what do you want to end up doing? Why are you choosing Mechanical?

UofA seems to have a slightly better reputation downtown, especially with the older crowd. I think this is a legacy of the days when UofC had low entrance requirements and was seen as the fallback school for people that couldn't get in elsewhere, while UofA has always been a solid school.

The quality of UofC Engg grads has seemed to have gone up over the last few years due to improvements to teaching and programs, and higher entrance requirements. The impression I get is that employers who hire UofC Engg grads are very happy with the quality, but some other employers might screen out or not favor UofC grads because of that poor legacy reputation.

Honestly though, where you go sometimes doesn't matter as much as doing reasonably well academically, and making sure you get the most meaningful and relevant experience you can during the summers/co-ops/internships.

Well I want to do mechanical because i've always been interested in how things work and i enjoy classes like mechanics and physics. I also looked at other streams and while they are options, they dont interest me as much.

My mom talked with some eng friends at work and they were suggesting that UofA has a better option for internships with the two 8 month terms and a 4 month term. They said this because it gives me the opportunity to try different places out. I see their point but I also see your point that UofC's 16 month program can be a good resume builder.

And now im back to square one, lol.

badatusrnames
05-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by DboyNismo

Well I want to do mechanical because i've always been interested in how things work and i enjoy classes like mechanics and physics. I also looked at other streams and while they are options, they dont interest me as much.

My mom talked with some eng friends at work and they were suggesting that UofA has a better option for internships with the two 8 month terms and a 4 month term. They said this because it gives me the opportunity to try different places out. I see their point but I also see your point that UofC's 16 month program can be a good resume builder.

And now im back to square one, lol.

Keep your mind open on your choice of program, your choice might change, especially when you get an idea of what type of jobs you'll be doing in Alberta with your degree (whatever it might be).

UofC lets you do two 8-month terms back to back if you'd like. You can also work 4 month summer jobs after your first and second years.

So you get the ability to "try places out" if you want, but also the advantage of 16 continuous months if you want to as well.

Both schools should give you equally as good opportunities, it's really what you make of it. UofC might make it easier to work downtown Calgary if that's what you want too.

turbotrip
05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

UofC might make it easier to work downtown Calgary if that's what you want too.

indeed. if this is your goal then u of c will definitely give you an advantage.

a social dsease
05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys, this is really giving me a better picture. I'm leaning more towards u of c right now cause I wave a lot of money by staying at home. And from the sounds of it u of c is the same.

I have a cousin who is doing mech eng at u of a so I'll give him a call today to ask him.

If you can live at home by going to UofC I would consider this to be a huge factor.

A quick glance on the UofA residence website shows the shittiest room with the bare minimum meal plan is $5786/yr.

Not sure if your parents are willing to help you out with costs should you decide to live in Edmonton, but you're looking at potentially over $22k in additional costs vs UofC.

One of the main reasons I went with UofC vs UofA or UBC (I got accepted into all 3) was the thought of graduating with big-time debt was rather unappealing.

93VR6
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Do not live at home just to save money, I did that and I guess I saved probably 15g or so but its not worth it, all my friends that went away and got loans made a ton more friends and now those friends are valuable business contacts, and once you graduate with a degree in engineering 15g is nothing.

DboyNismo
05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone, this insight has really helped. Im still talking with a lot of people so im just making a list of pros and cons for each.

colinxx235
05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
^

Can I also ask why you haven't considered other schools such as UBC, Queens or Waterloo?

BananaFob
05-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 93VR6

Do not live at home just to save money, I did that and I guess I saved probably 15g or so but its not worth it, all my friends that went away and got loans made a ton more friends and now those friends are valuable business contacts, and once you graduate with a degree in engineering 15g is nothing.

Just because you live at home doesn't mean you can't make friends... Pretty bad advice imo.

Civic_Drift
05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Just because you live at home doesn't mean you can't make friends... Pretty bad advice imo.

I think he's implying by meeting new friends in other cities, you can open up your networks a lot more (jobs/projects available in other cities that your friends might come across and let you know etc)

Feruk
05-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Can I also ask why you haven't considered other schools such as UBC, Queens or Waterloo?
While all the power to these schools, I think if you wanna swim in oil money, U of C or U of A are more than good enough.

Eleanor
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Civic_Drift
I think he's implying by meeting new friends in other cities, you can open up your networks a lot more (jobs/projects available in other cities that your friends might come across and let you know etc) Possibly, but I would think that the financial benefits of staying at home outweigh that.

Once you get your foot in the door in O&G and show that you're not an incompetent fool, you'll make plenty of contacts, shouldn't be an issue :dunno:

Perceptionist
05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Both schools have good engineering programs and will lead you to good job opportunities. The big question you should be weighing is whether you want to stay at home or move away for University. I chose to move to Edmonton to take MecE. It cost me more to live on my own for 4 years (in Residence and then an apartment), but I'm extremely glad I made that decision. Here are the pro's and cons the way I see it:

Pro's:
-will meet other Eng students and form work groups much easier
-experience of living on your own and being responsible for yourself
-tons of parties, and tons of girls
-will meet lifelong friends and contacts in your first semester or two
-don't need a car

Con's:
-higher cost
-food won't be as good
-more distractions from your studies

If you're all about getting your degree for the least amount of money, then living at home and going to the U of C is probably your best option. If you want a more rounded university experience and more opportunities to make friends and meet girls, then I'd suggest going to U of A and living in residence.

colinxx235
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist
Both schools have good engineering programs and will lead you to good job opportunities. The big question you should be weighing is whether you want to stay at home or move away for University. I chose to move to Edmonton to take MecE. It cost me more to live on my own for 4 years (in Residence and then an apartment), but I'm extremely glad I made that decision. Here are the pro's and cons the way I see it:

Pro's:
-don't need a car

Con's:
-higher cost
-food won't be as good

If you're all about getting your degree for the least amount of money, then living at home and going to the U of C is probably your best option. If you want a more rounded university experience and more opportunities to make friends and meet girls, then I'd suggest going to U of A and living in residence.

+1

DboyNismo
05-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist

Pro's:
-don't need a car

Con's:
-higher cost
-food won't be as good

a lot of the points on your list are also on mine.

and i did apply to ubc, waterloo and u of t however i only got ubc kelowna, and i decided to stay in alberta.

im talking tonight with my cousin who did uofa mecheng and another engineer which i know. but my parents and i are going through all of the advice which beyond gives and were also looking at that.

got_mike33
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I just graduated from U of A, although my degree was in Civil Eng so I can really speak much to what it's like to be a MechE.

As much as we bash Edmonton it is a pretty okay city, especially if you are going to university there. If you stay around the university area it is like it's own little town and you definitely don't feel like you are in a big city.

The U of A program is really well structured with plenty of great (and a few not so great) profs. A lot of my co-op friends had many different opportunities with different companies (Epcor, Syncrude, Atco, and WorleyParsons to name a few).

I definitely agree with everyone who says you get a more well rounded experience when you move away for school. Living with your parents is no fun, and you get a lot more freedom than you would being at home. You learn pretty quick how to manage your time or you won't make it too far in engineering...