PDA

View Full Version : Traveling and Working In the US

sexualbanana
05-23-2012, 01:02 PM
A friend of mine in LA is looking for a roommate and we were joking about me coming out there to live for a few months, but that would obviously mean having to find work.

I've done it before for internships, but I'm wondering if the process is different if I just want like a random job. Basically like my friends who have traveled to Australia and S America and found menial jobs to fund themselves while they're there

theken
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
You need a sponsor to get a work visa. Unless you grow your stache out and flick cards

adamc
05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
You can stay up to 6 months, but if they get even a whiff of you trying to make it a permanent residence or trying to work, you can be barred from entering the U.S. for up to 5 years or more AT THE BORDER GUARD'S DISCRETION. Scary stuff!

I'm in the process of trying to move to LA, at least on a part time basis, and I've been reading this really comprehensive book which covers everything in great detail, including legal and tax implications on both sides of the border.

http://www.theborderguide.com/img/img_border_guide.gif

If you're not careful you could be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes, even though you're not legally allowed to reside in the states. This means a Canadian tax exit procedure from the C.R.A, and a whole mess of obligations on the U.S. side.

Do your homework.