PDA

View Full Version : Winter car suggestions?

94boosted
05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I've decided to slowly start looking/researching a second/winter car (I know it's early) however I don't know which to get, I need some advice. Here is my criteria:

AWD (Will also consider RWD)
~200+ HP
Sedan/Wagon (Will also consider coupe)
$10-13.5K
Reliable & easy to maintain
~10-12,000km per year (90% winter 10% summer)
Automatic preffered

So far I've narrowed the list down to the following:

2001-03 BMW 330Xi
- Seems like the best choice

2004-05 Infiniti G35x
- ???

2001-03 Mercedes C320 4MATIC
- Expensive to maintain, I've read about lots of issues

2002-04 Subaru WRX Wagon
- It's hard to find a un-modified example of these cars

2003-05 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
- I know Audi's aren't known for being easy/cheap to maintain and my personal experiences with Audi's (A6) and the 1.8T engine (GTi) has left me with a sour taste for them

2003-04 VW Passat 4MOTION W8
- How is the W8 engine it just seems like it has expensive written all over it

I know there are others such as the Volvo S40 T5 AWD, S60 AWD but I don't really know anything about those cars and the Toyota Matrix AWD which is just a boring appliance and not a car.

What are your thoughts on the above are any of them great? Garbage? Any major issues to be aware of with the above? Are there any others I should be considering? Any help is appreciated.

Graham_A_M
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
You're right, I think you can scratch the last two choices off your list.

94boosted
05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
You're right, I think you can scratch the last two choices off your list.

The A4 and Passat? I thought so.

PD77
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
The Subaru will be the cheapest to maintain and replace parts I would think...take my bias with a grain of salt of course but I think the Subaru is the best choice for a secondary car.

CanmoreOrLess
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Most any vehicle will do fine in winter with the proper winter tires. I've been driving them for decades, never a issue. Unless you are venturing down uncleared (never cleared) roads, do you really need an AWD or is it simply a want? I would strike off all German vehicles due to repair cost issues, nice cars on warranty, off warranty not so much.

94boosted
05-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by PD77
The Subaru will be the cheapest to maintain and replace parts I would think...take my bias with a grain of salt of course but I think the Subaru is the best choice for a secondary car.

:werd: I've always had a thing for Subaru's too.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Most any vehicle will do fine in winter with the proper winter tires. I've been driving them for decades, never a issue. Unless you are venturing down uncleared (never cleared) roads, do you really need an AWD or is it simply a want? I would strike off all German vehicles due to repair cost issues, nice cars on warranty, off warranty not so much.

Couldn't agree more that with proper tires anything is driveable, reason I want AWD is quite frankly because I thoroughly enjoy hooning around on snow/ice covered roads (& frozen lakes) :D and AWD does it best

mr2mike
05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
You AWD/4WD kool aid drinker.

You don't need AWD in this city. 90% of the time you'll high center before you lose all your traction with a FWD with some winter tires. And then show me where you're high centering within the city limits. Chances are slim unless you're an idiot and driving right through a 2ft snow drift.

The short answer to your list:
NO to the G35x. Not sure how good the x part is. But I've driven my mom's g35 RWD in winter since she was too afraid to drive it. That car nearly killed me a few times. Back end can kick out quick and hard. Winter tires and sandbags or not.

rage2
05-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

You don't need AWD in this city. 90% of the time you'll high center before you lose all your traction with a FWD with some winter tires.
You're right, it's not needed. But I was getting tired of losing out off the line in snow and ice to Civics haha. First winter with AWD, I don't know if I can go back!

94boosted
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

You don't need AWD in this city. 90% of the time you'll high center before you lose all your traction with a FWD with some winter tires. And then show me where you're high centering within the city limits. Chances are slim unless you're an idiot and driving right through a 2ft snow drift.

The short answer to your list:
NO to the G35x. Not sure how good the x part is. But I've driven my mom's g35 RWD in winter since she was too afraid to drive it. That car nearly killed me a few times. Back end can kick out quick and hard. Winter tires and sandbags or not.

Lol like I said I don't need AWD I just want it for shits & giggles, I've driven FWD and RWD in winter before I know it can easily be done that doesn't change the fact that I want an AWD car.

max_boost
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Yep.

94boosted
05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2

You're right, it's not needed. But I was getting tired of losing out off the line in snow and ice to Civics haha. First winter with AWD, I don't know if I can go back!

:werd:

RWD sucks in winter off the line and FWD sucks in winter if you want to "drift" on snow/ice covered roads therefore AWD = WIN

ercchry
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
i would say get something with some utility for your second car... like a truck, can tow and haul things. buy fun toys like seadoos, skidoos, dirt bikes, quads, boats... campers

94boosted
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i would say get something with some utility for your second car... like a truck, can tow and haul things. buy fun toys like seadoos, skidoos, dirt bikes, quads, boats... campers

I thought about that but decided against it as my fiance and I will be buying a new SUV next spring/summer so for any towing/hauling I'll be set.

KRyn
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Get a Skyrine GTR R32!

:D

btimbit
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
AWD wagon is the way to go. You mentioned the Impreza but I suggest adding the 2003+ Legacy GT to your list.

PD77
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
AWD wagon is the way to go. You mentioned the Impreza but I suggest adding the 2003+ Legacy GT to your list.

I would go 05+ as that's the first year of the turbocharged GT.

They can easily be had for your price range, and they really are a great car. I had one for 3 years and considering how quickly I cycle through vehicles that says something haha.

btimbit
05-23-2012, 02:58 PM

I would go 05+ as that's the first year of the turbocharged GT.

They can easily be had for your price range, and they really are a great car. I had one for 3 years and considering how quickly I cycle through vehicles that says something haha.

:thumbsup: Lots of 05's in the OP's price range too

94boosted
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Get a Skyrine GTR R32!

:D

Lol RHD would be my last choice.

:thumbsup: Lots of 05's in the OP's price range too

I've thought about the Legacy but for some reason the 05's seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the 06-07's which leads me to beleive that the reliability of the 05's being a first your production for that car after the update has some problems? Or is the 05 GT a reliable car?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
I had an 05 LGT with 205000km when I sold it no problems!

CanmoreOrLess
05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Subaru or Mits in a hatch, I tried to be Mr. Practical in the previous post, personally I would rather AWD and winter tires. Have some fun on the drive, save the previous suggestion for the senior set.

btimbit
05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Lol RHD would be my last choice.

I've thought about the Legacy but for some reason the 05's seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the 06-07's which leads me to beleive that the reliability of the 05's being a first your production for that car after the update has some problems? Or is the 05 GT a reliable car?

Haven't heard any negatives, and I think it's the same tried and true engine they'd been using in Impreza's for a while. Not sure though

buh_buh
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I will NEVER go back to FWD or RWD in winter again.
Go with the Subie.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Almost every subie has a chance of headgasket failure, make sure if you get one, have it inspected first.

I've never seen so many HG failures until I started working on subarus.

revelations
05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
OP, I found having AWD helps you make the turns into moving traffic a bunch easier - youre confident that the car will move (instead of spin tires) into the flow.

btimbit
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Almost every subie has a chance of headgasket failure, make sure if you get one, have it inspected first.

This, can't believe I forgot to mention it

94boosted
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM

So are you suggesting doing a block test (testing for combusiton gases in the coolant) in addition to a Compression/Leakdown test during the inspection?

PS: As you work on these what are your thoughts on the Automatic Trannies in both the WRX's and the LGT's?

Originally posted by revelations
OP, I found having AWD helps you make the turns into moving traffic a bunch easier - youre confident that the car will move (instead of spin tires) into the flow.

:werd: Another good point.

Sugarphreak
05-24-2012, 08:58 AM

94boosted
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Volvo has made some pretty decent AWD sedans and wagons in the past 10 years or so, better reliability, comfortable and sporty.

the T5 is a great engine too, has a wicked torque curve between 1500-4000rpm... even better when you can find the T5 mated with a turbo.

Example:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Volvo-XC70-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ377885055

Thanks!

You can get the S40's & S60's in T5 Turbo AWD if I'm not mistaken right? I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy an XC70 it's just too big and soccer mom ish.

Sugarphreak
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Canmorite
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM

This is true, however, many have had them replaced. Check the service records if available on a Subaru before buying it.

Onto my 3rd Subaru now, so my opinion will be biased haha. Lots of winter travels and never had a problem. Getting around the city is OK without AWD, but if you venture outside of the city it's nice to have. I won't go back to FWD :rofl:

94boosted
05-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Why are the head gaskets so prone to failure? Is it just the nature of a boosted boxer? Or is this specific to that era of the 2.5L Turbo?

PD77
05-25-2012, 07:32 AM
The headgasket failures are not nearly as common in the years you are looking at (04+) as they were in the late 90's-early 2000's.

Do your homework for sure but don't let that misconception sway you.