PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into detailing/ownership of my own shop

HomespunLobster
05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
After trying a few jobs over the past while I've narrowed down what I want to do with my career, and looking for some input from some beyonders.

I currently own a business, in my second year of owning, but it's too seasonal and not what I'm looking for. I'd rather invest in something I have more interest in. So my current goals are to get into a detailing position. I do understand I'll start at the bottom, but I'm looking for opportunities for skills more extensive than what I'd get at a dealership. I am looking for shops that are more established with skilled employee's to learn from. But I have a 2 year plan to work up the skills needed to start my own business or work towards a management position.

I have worked in the automotive industry already, but I disliked how I'd fix a car and it would leave the exact same as it came in. And customers do not enjoy spending money on fixing their cars. I enjoy being able to stand back from a job to see and appreciate what I've done. As well, my attention to detail and perfectionism would make a job like this perfect for me.

I'm just looking for some input on the matter from anyone who has info. (I'm not looking for references, just suggestions)

Where would be good places to apply at?
What sort of tools should I have to apply and work?
How is competition, customers, and owning a detailing shop in Calgary?
What are the different types of detailing? I see shops which clean, but some work on tint, others do upholstery, or 3M.

Anything else I think off I'll add.

know1edge
05-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I would say it's a very seasonal business, the shops that do tint, 3m, etc I assume do that so that they don't have to close the doors during the winter when it's dead.

Any shop that hires you would probably supply all the tools you need, and even though they would train you,
I would start reading, plus there's a lot of info on starting your own business
http://www.autopia.org/

HomespunLobster
05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Well my current is landscaping, and snow removal isn't my thing. So I'm selling. You can see how seasonal that is. I was working in a tire shop, which was super busy twice a year, and did mechanical to keep the business a float the rest of the year. All businesses have slow seasons.

HO2S
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
You are going to have to stay put at the same shop for a good few years before you will get any good traing. Why would a shop invest in you if your just going to up and quit. Work hard show up every day and show the boss your not a deadbeat and worth training.
Dealerships tend to have really good body/detailing shops and are established more than a mom and pop shop. Ide say the dealer would be the best place for you to learn.
I dont know about detailing, but for mechanical and body you buy all of your own tools with your own money.
From what I got from your post, is you have alot to learn about the automotive industry. If you are looking at going into detailing the customers love to spend money on their cars. And they expect top notch service. So if the car left looking the same, you did not do your job.
Two years to own a shop is totaly unrealistic, auto body and mechanical apprentiships are 4 years long and half of the students dont know their ass from their foot after 4 years. You cannot expect to be power polishing a bentley with a years worth of experience. Owning a landscaping company is night and day different than a auto shop.