PDA

View Full Version : Tissot Watches

FraserB
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Saw that Carat in Chinook was having a clearance so I wound up looking at some Tissot watches online and found these two.

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collections65/products_574/scroll_/

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collections65/products_581/scroll_/

Any thoughts on Tissot in general? I'm not sure on the price or if Carat even has these in stock, but MSRP looks to be around $695 from a quick google search.

The_Rural_Juror
05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
How much were they going for?

Sugarphreak
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM

supe
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Tissot's are great watches. They carry the quality of high end watches with a more affordable price tag.

I highly recommend.

Actually this is in regard to non Touch watches. I don't know much about those, a bit tacky for me.

phreezee
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM
My titanium Tissot is 15 years old now and still going strong. Excellent quality swiss watches.

ganesh
05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
My day to day wear is a Tissot PRS 516.
I like them. No complaints what so ever.

Weapon_R
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I wear a PRS200 almost daily. Good all around watch for every day use. I've got no complaints as well, but I'd never pay more than $500+ for one.

Neil4Speed
05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I wear a PRS200 almost daily. Good all around watch for every day use. I've got no complaints as well, but I'd never pay more than $500+ for one.

Same here, I've never been a fan of the T-Touch, but my PRC200 is quite good and versitile.

The New Tissot line has a few nice lookers though, That sea star is definitely a nice piece but at that price range I would also look at a Steinhart.

bspot
05-24-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.libro.cz/files/k403.png

This is my daily watch.

Where I found it the cheapest.... Amazon.com.

FraserB
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
How much were they going for?

I'm not too sure, Carat Jewellers has a clearance sale on now, their signs mentioned up to 50% off. I'll probably swing by tonight and grab a few prices.

HiSpec
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
May I suggest Tissot Le Locle?

Pacman
05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I like Tissot watches....especially their PR516 and Visodate retro re-editions.

I also like the Seastar models, but have read some negative things about the PVD coated bezel as it tends to flake off.

I think the older "touch" model had some issues, but any of the current Touch "expert", racing touch or SeaTouch models are probably fine.

statick
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Tissot's Seastar line isn't bad at all, but not necessarily what I'd get at the ~$600 price point.

The MSRP on the Seastar chronographs are ~$1,200 on rubber and ~$1,300 on steel.

I'm with HiSpec and Pacman, the Le Locle and Visodate are nice pieces for the price.

busdepot
05-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a Tissot PRC 100, paid $495 for it a couple years ago. It's been a fantastic watch, I take it scuba diving and I have yet to have a problem. The finish has held up extremely well.

interlude
05-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I was seriously considering a Touch, but I've heard from a couple of people they are notoriously prone to having problems.

For the same price range you can get a LumTec which is a much higher quality watch, and also a bit of a collectors item as they are produced in very limited numbers.

I've had my touch since 2006. Still going strong, with no problems. Actually, it just started flashing to replace the battery. So this battery lasted over 6 years!

FraserB
05-28-2012, 12:18 PM
SeaStar ended up being $975 and they were offering a 20% discount on it without even being asked. PRC-200 was $695 with probably the same discount. I think both could be discounted a bit more with a bit of work.

I'm also going to be looking at the Black Monster after being told to take a look at it by a Beyonder. Price is pretty resonable from what I have seen and I would be able to get that and then maybe a Tissot when I'm in Vegas in October.

I have to give Carat Jewellers credit where it is due. The two people I spoke with were both very professional and helpful. They had no issue with me holding, trying on and comparing many different models, as well as being very upfront about the price.

But if you plan on going to Birks, apparently they expect you to wear a tux:rolleyes: I realize I probably do look a bit younger and maybe all your potential customers don’t come in to your store wearing jeans and a baseball hat, but mentioning that “You do realize that these cost a lot of money?”, loudly enough that other people in the store can probably hear you isn’t the way to drum up business. That statement and the general attitude that I got will ensure I don’t set foot in Birks for a very long time.

Three watches still in the running.

1. Tissot SeaStar, bit concerned over bezel flaking. Heard it from a few people.
2. Tissot PRC-200, looks nice but would like to see if there are several band options
3. Black Monster, have to arrange to try it on for weight and size. Added benfit is that I can use it diving.

BananaFob
05-28-2012, 12:44 PM
I have a PRC - 200 as well and the only complaint I have is that it's a bit too heavy on my wrist.

Sugarphreak
05-28-2012, 03:26 PM

FraserB
05-28-2012, 05:32 PM
If you have the opportunity to get a Black Monster I would say go for it, that is one of the holy grail watches for cult collectors. Make sure you get the metal band too, it wears as nice as watches that cost 20 times more. It will grab a lot more attention than a Tissot for sure.

Do you know if the band is easy to swap out, metal to rubber and back?

Sugarphreak
05-28-2012, 09:08 PM

statick
05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Do you know if the band is easy to swap out, metal to rubber and back?

They are just springbars, Seiko's nice, near-proprietary, fat ones.

HiSpec
05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
If you have the opportunity to get a Black Monster I would say go for it, that is one of the holy grail watches for cult collectors. Make sure you get the metal band too, it wears as nice as watches that cost 20 times more. It will grab a lot more attention than a Tissot for sure.

Is the Black Monster a discontinued watch? If not where can I find one locally?

Sugarphreak
05-29-2012, 07:46 AM

FraserB
05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
I was looking on Amazon actually and the price difference between the .com and .ca site is pretty much non-existent. Probably going to wind up with a Black Monster with metal band and a rubber one for diving.

HiSpec
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I was looking on Amazon actually and the price difference between the .com and .ca site is pretty much non-existent. Probably going to wind up with a Black Monster with metal band and a rubber one for diving.

The ones off Amazon are they consider as grey-market? I know it is not a baller watch, but I still want warranty if possible.

FraserB
05-29-2012, 01:43 PM
If the manufacturer will not cover it, Amazon has a 2 or 3 year warranty on them.

jsn
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
If you're buying from Amazon, try to buy one that's sold directly through Amazon instead of another vendor that sells through them. I bought my Hamilton through them and they have a pretty good warranty. When my first watch came, it had a bit of a scratch on it, and amazon sent out a second one without question. I actually received my second watch before I even sent the defective one back. Return shipping was free as well.

I have a T-Touch expert that I've owned for about a year now and I think it's a great watch. I can't say much about the longevity/durability of these watches, but mine has been great so far.

I'm just wondering, what makes the black monster a holy grail for watch collectors? It seems like you can get a hold of one fairly easily. Not saying it's not a nice watch, but just wondering why you call it the holy grail.

HiSpec
05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by jsn
If you're buying from Amazon, try to buy one that's sold directly through Amazon instead of another vendor that sells through them. I bought my Hamilton through them and they have a pretty good warranty. When my first watch came, it had a bit of a scratch on it, and amazon sent out a second one without question. I actually received my second watch before I even sent the defective one back. Return shipping was free as well.

Problem is all the BM are sold from another vendor and not directly from Amazon.

I'm just wondering, what makes the black monster a holy grail for watch collectors? It seems like you can get a hold of one fairly easily. Not saying it's not a nice watch, but just wondering why you call it the holy grail.

I believe is the movement.
http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

Sugarphreak
05-29-2012, 03:22 PM

FraserB
05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
HiSpec,

The Black Monsters I have been looking at are sold by bluedial.com through Amazon, looking at their site it shows a 3 year warranty on them.

I'll be trying one out on Thursday, but it is looking like a good buy and putting off the Tissot until next year or until I'm in Vegas in October and can visit the outlets.

HiSpec
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM

I did say "one of" the holy grail watches... not saying it is the single holy grail by any means. It would be more for the purist collector rather than the baller one as well.

The Orange & Black Monster watchs has generated a bit of a cult following, many admiring it simply for it's bold in your face looks. But other than its obvious aesthetic flare, when you start looking at what you actually get in terms of mechanics and features, it stacks up easily against watches that cost as much as 10 or even 20 times more.

Off the first website I found google-ing it:

The Japan-Only Black and Orange Monster (black bezel, as opposed to silver) is so beautiful.

HiSpec,

The Black Monsters I have been looking at are sold by bluedial.com through Amazon, looking at their site it shows a 3 year warranty on them.

I'll be trying one out on Thursday, but it is looking like a good buy and putting off the Tissot until next year or until I'm in Vegas in October and can visit the outlets.

The one you are trying on Thursday, is that from locally? Or you ordered one off the 'net?

Thanks

FraserB
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

The one you are trying on Thursday, is that from locally? Or you ordered one off the 'net?

Thanks

I'll be ordering it online if I buy it. I want to try it on so I can compare it size and weight wise against my Tag Formula 1

HiSpec
05-29-2012, 04:20 PM

I'll be ordering it online if I buy it. I want to try it on so I can compare it size and weight wise against my Tag Formula 1

Where are you trying it? If it is available locally, I want to see it in person as well.

Thanks

XylathaneGTR
05-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I've worn a quartz Tissot WR-100 as my daily for the last 6 years. The strap and case are titanium with stainless accents, so it's light but not too light, and it has generally been pretty durable. The glass is saphire right across the line, too, which allows me to give it a bit of abuse and not worry.

Overall, fantastic watch.

ramminghard
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM

I'll be ordering it online if I buy it. I want to try it on so I can compare it size and weight wise against my Tag Formula 1 Wondering if you were able to try one of the Monster's locally? I was considering one but with how thick the crown is I am not sure if it is possible to wear with dress shirts.