PDA

View Full Version : 98 Civic Hatchback Question

Ajay
02-04-2004, 05:33 PM
I have a 98 Civic hatchback and I'm just wondering about something.

Today when I was driving all of a sudden I heard a kind of noise that sounded like metal rubbing against metal. It was coming from the front right side so my first thought was a wheel bearing. The only time I heard it was when I was driving and the faster I went the faster the noise went.

Anyways, I did my business at Future Shop and got in my car and started to move and the sound was still there but this time it sounded like something was dragging on the ground. I pulled over and saw nothing hanging down and started to go again. The sound came back but it was a kind of a squeel and grinding which made me think wheel bearing again.

As I pull out of the Future Shop parking lot the sound completely went away....NO LONGER THERE. I drove around for good 40 minutes to see if it came back but it seems to be running like it normally did.

So with that my new guess is it was just a slush/ice buildup...anyone have any idea if that's accurate or if I'm in for a nice surprise when I decide to go on a road trip come reading week?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!? :dunno:

Dirty_SOHC
02-04-2004, 05:40 PM
breaks are either worn or you have a rock stuck at the top of the caliper. this has happen to me every winter. just back up and the rock pops out and bingo no more noise

Ajay
02-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Yah I think it was a rock cause when I think about it after I backed up the sound was still there but not as loud and then it was completely gone.

Pretty sure it was just a rock from all this gravel the good 'ol City of Calgary keeps putting down.