PDA

View Full Version : no more aircare in B. Columbia

rob the knob
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
B.C. to end AirCare car program in 2014
Environment ministry likely to shift AirCare testing to diesel vehicles

The B.C. government is shifting gears on the AirCare program with a plan to phase out tailpipe testing of light cars and trucks at the end of 2014 and turn its attention to heavy-duty diesel vehicles.

Environment Minister Terry Lake said Thursday that newer cars run much cleaner now than the vehicles being made when AirCare started in 1992.

AirCare statistics show that when the program began in 1992, just 69.5 per cent of vehicles met the emission standards and passed the test. That increased to nearly 82 per cent by 2001 and by 2011, nearly 88 per cent passed.

Lake said the transportation and environment ministries will work to identify other classes of vehicles that haven't been covered by AirCare and find ways to reduce their emissions.

The Metro Vancouver regional district passed a bylaw in January aimed at reducing emissions from backhoes, excavators, forklifts and other diesel-powered machines.

Drivers of newer cars currently pay $46 to have their cars tested through AirCare every two years while older vehicles are tested every year for $23.

AirCare costs about $19 million to run each year.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-24-2012, 09:26 PM
I wish it was enforced not unlike the safety inspections. If its 12 years or older, it should require an air care.

I'm sick of driving behind stinky old cars with no cats that burn my eyes. It's not good for the environment and this sets back the chance of country wide emission monitoring.

Tik-Tok
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Good news for Vancouver car enthusiasts.

revelations
05-24-2012, 10:09 PM
The Surrey muffler/exhaust shops will be very busy in 2014.

Maybelater
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I forgot about that program in BC lol

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I wish it was enforced not unlike the safety inspections. If its 12 years or older, it should require an air care.

Granted older vehicles are more likely to have emissions problems, it doesn't stop people from running exhaust systems that wouldn't pass in modern cars or neglecting maintenance.

I say the program should stay, even if you're a global warming skeptic, this program helps keep the air you breath cleaner too.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Commanderwiggin
05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm gonna go throw some 110 Leaded in the tank and celebrate!

Every vehicle I've ever owned had its cats cut out within the first year of ownership...I've got till December to cut them out of my Tacoma...:clap:

PremiumRSX
05-29-2012, 03:37 AM
Even though there is still no mandatory testing, I would still keep cats on my car.

The cat got deleted on my previous car but after learning more about cats (especially high flow ones) and how you can achieve near loss-less performance. I think I would be willing to sacrifice just few ponies to have better emissions and lower noise.

Maxt
05-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater
I forgot about that program in BC lol

Granted older vehicles are more likely to have emissions problems, it doesn't stop people from running exhaust systems that wouldn't pass in modern cars or neglecting maintenance.

I say the program should stay, even if you're a global warming skeptic, this program helps keep the air you breath cleaner too.
Global warming skeptic? The program was about reduction of ground level ozone and Voc's, aka smog from day one.