PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hooked up a gas stove?

CapnCrunch
05-25-2012, 07:13 AM
I have one coming next week and I'm trying to figure out what I need to hook it up. There is 120 and 240 electrical boxes behind the stove, as well as a capped gas line with a shutoff valve.

Is this a fairly simple operation? Or will I need special tools and gas fittings to get this up and running?

I can't seem to find a manual online.

This is the stove.....

http://www.amazon.com/Maytag-MGT8885XS-Freestanding-Double-Oven-Stainless/dp/B003FWAJHY

C_Dave45
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Quick connect fitting on the floor? You just snap in the gas line from the stove. And plug in the 110. No tools.

If there's no quick connect, but just threaded ends, you just need crescent or channel lock pliers, and some pipe dope.
Simple instructions: (page 9)
http://www.maytag.ca/assets/qHvl9-EdSzktw5jGY1MoIpqUJmKCnpF6.pdf

CapnCrunch
05-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Quick connect fitting on the floor? You just snap in the gas line from the stove. And plug in the 110. No tools.

If there's no quick connect, but just threaded ends, you just need crescent or channel lock pliers, and some pipe dope.
Simple instructions: (page 9)
http://www.maytag.ca/assets/qHvl9-EdSzktw5jGY1MoIpqUJmKCnpF6.pdf

WTF? I looked for an hour last night trying to find that!!

Thanks man.

(I think it's just threaded ends.)

project240
05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Use a sniffer afterwards to make sure you don't have any leaks (or soapy water works as well)

CapnCrunch
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by project240
Use a sniffer afterwards to make sure you don't have any leaks (or soapy water works as well)

Definitely. :thumbsup:

ipeefreely
05-25-2012, 05:48 PM
According to CanmoreOrLess you should be using a BIC lighter to check! :rofl:

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
C_Dave45 would not last a day in the tile trade pulling off that shit, yet oddly ATCO will keep these chimps in the club with no penalty. How dangerous can gas be with such high standards on the job? Lucky your home is still in one piece, and bloody rights I'd be checking all the fittings with my BIC lighter.

project240
05-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely
According to CanmoreOrLess you should be using a BIC lighter to check! :rofl:

:rofl: Genius. I usually use a blow torch though if I don't have a sniffer handy.

ipeefreely
05-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by project240

:rofl: Genius. I usually use a blow torch though if I don't have a sniffer handy.

:rofl: I find a welder comes in handy too!

CapnCrunch
05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have tips for removing a 3/4" pipe nipple? Lol.

There is a section of pipe coming up through the floor, then a shut off valve, then the nipple which had a cap on it. I've gotten the cap off of the nipple, but the other end of the nipple is stuck in the valve and I've tried wrenching the shit out of it and it's not moving.

I've tried googling it, but I don't know if I wan't to put a torch onto my gas line. I really don't want to hire a plumber just to come over and play with my nipple.

Or do I..................................???

raceman6135
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Have you tried using 2 pipe wrenches: one on the valve and the other on the nipple?

Position them so that the handles are close together. Then, squeeze the handles together. This makes sure that the valve will not rotate on the pipe that's coming from the floor, and all the force will be used to spin the nipple.

Also, you reduce the chances of "bending" the pipe coming out of the floor that might happen when you pull with just one wrench on the nipple.

I'm not explaining it well, and could only find this photo online, but I hope it helps:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/269_gicleur_chamber_nut.jpg

CapnCrunch
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135
Have you tried using 2 pipe wrenches: one on the valve and the other on the nipple?

Position them so that the handles are close together. Then, squeeze the handles together. This makes sure that the valve will not rotate on the pipe that's coming from the floor, and all the force will be used to spin the nipple.

Also, you reduce the chances of "bending" the pipe coming out of the floor that might happen when you pull with just one wrench on the nipple.

I'm not explaining it well, and could only find this photo online, but I hope it helps:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/269_gicleur_chamber_nut.jpg

I tried that last night, but I think I need some bigger wrenches. I'm going by the depot tonight and I'll see what they have there.

brucebanner
05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I tried that last night, but I think I need some bigger wrenches. I'm going by the depot tonight and I'll see what they have there.

I don't know how much room you have to work in, but a couple 18" pipe wrenches should be plenty big to handle taking that apart(should be able with a couple 12's). You can also spray where the valve and the threads of the nipple connect with some penetrating fluid. That should work.

Like said before, one wrench on the valve and one on the nipple just above the valve so you can get maximum power on the wrenches without stressing the piping.

CapnCrunch
05-30-2012, 07:13 AM
I got it off finally. Bigger wrenches was the answer.

trevh
05-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Do you need a permit to work on anything gas in the house?

CapnCrunch
05-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by trevh
Do you need a permit to work on anything gas in the house?

Probably. :dunno: