PDA

View Full Version : UOC to UOA Dental Program

remixsecret
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Had anyone got accepted into the dental program at UOA, or know anyone that has? I plan on going to UOC for the 2 years which is mandatory for pre reqs, or even finish my degree then transfer, but what do you guys suggest on how to build a schedule? 3 cores and 2 options? or something else. Thanks!

tbomb
05-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm assuming the processes and logistics of dental school are similar to med school.

My advise is to choose whatever degree interests you and take all the dental school prereqs at a slow pace. I finished the medschool "recommended" prereqs in my second year. In my first year i did 2bio, 2physics, 2chem, 2calculus, and 2english. In second year i did 3bio, 2organic chem, 1 biochem, 2options.

The course load was nuts, and my gpa started to drop pretty quickly. Dont bunch these courses up like i did. This will give you the chance to mature and see what other options interest you over your undergrad. Do some lab research and get chum with some profs who can write you letters of rec.

Showing your potential academically is not enough as anyone with the right ambition can get the grades. Take it slow, get A's and do as much extra-curricular work that encompasses, leadership, entrepreneurship, ect as you can. Don't worry about your schedule, its useless.

Good luck newb

chkolny541
05-26-2012, 06:46 PM
im sorry, im confused with the question. Are you asking for an opinion on the dental schools? Or on your undergrad schedule? or both? haha

For your undergrad schedule, its tough to say how you should choose your classes because it varies quite a bit between faculties, some will have more options available then others (liberal arts vs engg, haha), but i can say that for me personally i finished my chem degree doing about 4 core 1 option for the first 2 years, then in 3/4 year you get more options to select, so its more like 2 core 3 option (for some semesters). But even that is tough to say because i dont know if you are talking about free electives or just options within a group of selectable classes :confused: . Maybe clarify alittle more.

edit, i completely agree with the above poster, the actual number of cores vs options is irrelevant if your cores will murder you anyways, good luck though, im glad im fucking out of there!

remixsecret
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
im sorry, im confused with the question. Are you asking for an opinion on the dental schools? Or on your undergrad schedule? or both? haha

For your undergrad schedule, its tough to say how you should choose your classes because it varies quite a bit between faculties, some will have more options available then others (liberal arts vs engg, haha), but i can say that for me personally i finished my chem degree doing about 4 core 1 option for the first 2 years, then in 3/4 year you get more options to select, so its more like 2 core 3 option (for some semesters). But even that is tough to say because i dont know if you are talking about free electives or just options within a group of selectable classes :confused: . Maybe clarify alittle more.

edit, i completely agree with the above poster, the actual number of cores vs options is irrelevant if your cores will murder you anyways, good luck though, im glad im fucking out of there!

I'm asking for both. I want to know if there is any way to make a schedule where I can maintain a high GPA, without it dropping like its free falling. What do you mean by the number of cores vs options are irrelevant?

Originally posted by tbomb
I'm assuming the processes and logistics of dental school are similar to med school.

My advise is to choose whatever degree interests you and take all the dental school prereqs at a slow pace. I finished the medschool "recommended" prereqs in my second year. In my first year i did 2bio, 2physics, 2chem, 2calculus, and 2english. In second year i did 3bio, 2organic chem, 1 biochem, 2options.

The course load was nuts, and my gpa started to drop pretty quickly. Dont bunch these courses up like i did. This will give you the chance to mature and see what other options interest you over your undergrad. Do some lab research and get chum with some profs who can write you letters of rec.

Showing your potential academically is not enough as anyone with the right ambition can get the grades. Take it slow, get A's and do as much extra-curricular work that encompasses, leadership, entrepreneurship, ect as you can. Don't worry about your schedule, its useless.

Good luck newb

Thanks for the tips.
For dental or med, I believe they want a full year of loaded courses first, then you can start having 4 courses then do like 1 in the summer or spring. Cause right now, my fall semester is 1 bio, 1 phys, 1 chem, 1 stat, 1 anthropology. And winter is 1 bio, 1 phys, 1 chem, 1 psy, 1 sociology. Do you think I should just keep it like that? Or reduce a core and throw in another option. :dunno:

chkolny541
05-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by remixsecret

I'm asking for both. I want to know if there is any way to make a schedule where I can maintain a high GPA, without it dropping like its free falling. What do you mean by the number of cores vs options are irrelevant?

What i mean is that say you hate math based course (theoretically) and you love bio based courses and you choose 2 cores of math and physics. VS. a different semester of 2 bio, and 2 anthro. Its 2 core subjects vs 4 core subjects but you may rock the semester with 4 cores way better than the 2 core term, get it? Just pick what classes you enjoy, and also dont expect to maintain your high school 90% avg in uni !